Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2014, 10:02   #1
Team-BHP Support

October 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Management Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th November 2014 at 13:12.
Aditya is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 10:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: October 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 10:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 10:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 10:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene!
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 10:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

What is with Amaze, Mobilio and brio? Why do they have do fluctuating sales figures month after month? Is it because they might be sharing the production facility which keep switching priorities as per demand?

Two good things: Innova still shining and Zest outsold Amaze.
sourabhzen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 10:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely amazing performance by the new Corolla. 1000+ units shipped. That is more than double the units shipped after putting all the rest of the cars in the segment together.

Waiting to see the effect of this ongoing safety related hoopla on the GO. It has been consistently doing around 1000 units per month.

Lastly there was quite some talk that Nissan will see a revival after dissociating itself from Hover. But I fail to see any positive result on the sales chart. Other than Terrano they are struggling to sell anything and it is only going to get more tough with the current negative publicity going on in the market due to the GO.
Old 7th November 2014, 10:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Honda has taken quite a beating in Oct and I don't think its due to switching priorities between models. The total volume has come down in Oct by quite a margin compared to the previous 3.

July: 15701
Aug: 16758
Sept: 15014
Oct: 13242

Quite stellar numbers being pulled in by the WagonR. Can only wonder where the AMT unit is going to take it. And very nice to see good showing by the new i20. But Verna is on a steady drop. And sad to see the weak numbers by the Fiesta. That car ought to sell more, a lot more.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 10:51   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
And sad to see the weak numbers by the Fiesta. That car ought to sell more, a lot more.
Isn't it always the same? Be it the Jazz, Evalia and now the Fiesta. That is the reason the initial launch is pretty crucial. Ford messed it up and the car died. Reducing the price now is not going to help much as the perception is hard to change. In addition, I still fail to see any significant advertisement campaigns from Ford for the Fiesta. A massive marketing undertaking might just save the car.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 10:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Analysis : My view -

Hyundai doing extremely well, thanks to new launches of Elite i20 & Grand i10. Verna clearly struggling now.

Honda started struggle with launch of Ciaz, Zest etc. City numbers are down & is at number 2 behind Ciaz. Zest also sold more than Amaze. Mobilio started struggle already. Good to see that people don't go for it just because of Honda. It has pathetic interiors, hope Honda will learn a lesson or two here.

Toyota doing ok but nothing great. Only Innova & Fortuner at business.

Fiat is up & that's a good news. Let hope for better numbers in coming months.

Tata still down, don't know what is the problem. Manufacturing constrains? Need to fasten the deliveries of Zest & launch Bolt soon.

Mahindra doing good with new Scorpio. but they need more. XUV still doing good, happy to see that.

For Maruti business as usual. Ciaz at number 1 straight away. They must be partying hard. Next few months see numbers going up for them as new Alto, Swift, Dzire will come into picture.

Ranault, Ford one man show only. Nothing else.

GM has no hopes.

VW, Skoda still in India with their so called brand name & pathetic A.S.S. but no great models for mass market. Mainly they have one design & many cars on it. That's it.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 10:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Something I noticed.

TML numbers have remained virtually unchanged and hovered around the 11k mark now for the past 6 months. After Zest's introduction, the Indica/Indigo numbers fell - keeping the overall sales at somewhat same level.

Nano seems to be picking up a little.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 11:03   #12
BHPian

Excellent beginning by Elite i20 and Ciaz.

Swift feeling the heat from Elite i20 or low dispatches is due to launch of the upgraded version?

Was expecting better show by Zest, nonetheless it seems to be a good beginning for Tata Motors.

Honda’s total nos have gone down to 13K from 15-16K in previous two-three months.

Was looking forward to Avventura sales, Fiat had 500 pre bookings, not sure why they have not reported.
Old 7th November 2014, 11:04   #13
BHPian

Three new products lauched this year are prone to define new standards. The C1 segment seems to get dominantly expanded by the City and Ciaz. Market specific products bring in such good numbers and almost re-create the segment benchmarks. Similar is the case with Toyota Corolla.
The C1 segment numbers now come close to C2 segment. Is this a case of over-focussing on just one target segment in the market? Dzire, Amaze, Xcent, Zest, etc. all split the fruits, with Dzire holding the usual "locallite" benefit!
Manufacturers like Skoda should follow the Honda/Maruti way. Instead of providing subtle feature upgrades to the Rapid, they could have rather given major cosmetic facelifts to resemble new gen Skoda cars (a la Octavia), specially with their new range of engines and trannys.
Old 7th November 2014, 11:05   #14
BHPian

Thank you Aditya for the much waited thread!

Hyundai:
Hyundai is on fire since it posted the highest monthly sales numbers in a year!
Elite i20 is a big hit and received a grand welcome in terms of sales.
Santro still going strong despite the news of production being stopped. Kudos!

Maruti:
Finally Ciaz toppled City in C2 segment. It would be interesting to see if this run continues.
I guess less shipments for Swift sighting so called "new Swift"
Why sudden surge in Gypsy numbers MoM? Did Indian Army bought new consignment?

M&M:
Why no shipments of Thar?

TATA:
Zest is still lagging behind Dzire, Xcent and marginally ahead of Amaze. Where all the 10000+ bookings went?
It's sad to see dismal sales numbers by Aria despite being a brilliant product.

Ford:
Why Fiesta doesn't sell? Rest pretty usual.

Honda:
Mobilio numbers drop suddenly while Brio's sales up MoM.

Chevrolet:
Beat is really beaten, Enjoy is enjoying the showrooms and Spark is extinguished. Are you serious Chevy? The lowest number in terms of MoM sales by Chevrolet.

I am looking forward next month's sales figures of Swift and Go after the NCAP test results. I really want zero shipments of these cars to break Maruti's ego and attitude.

Why Nissan even manufactures Teana? Renault Koleos?

Last edited by StepUP! : 7th November 2014 at 11:07.
StepUP! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 11:11   #15
BHPian

By looking at the hype around the TATA's Zest, I was expecting Zest would cross the 5000 units mark. It seems its not been able to pick up much. Though it surpassed Amaze marginally, it is still trailing behind Xcent and Dzire is far far ahead.

Interestingly,Ciaz has surpassed City.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed