Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2014, 14:42   #16
BHPian

Re: 2014 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India

Thinking out loud here, why is the large boot space and the tall-ish rear hump considerations in an enthusiast car?
negativeH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 14:47   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
Thinking out loud here, why is the large boot space and the tall-ish rear hump considerations in an enthusiast car?
Specified in the opening post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Best part is, most of these rides will keep the driver as well as family man in you happy. After all, the car of a typical Indian household just has to be a multi-tasker (ghat cornering on Sunday, office on Monday, kids to football ground on Friday).
An advantage is an advantage, whether it's an enthusiast car or not.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 15:02   #18
BHPian

Thanks Tushar,
Very good summary for any shopper
I have prepared something very similar in 2011, before my last purchase i.e Skoda Rapid. I think for me 2015 is going to be very similar to 2011. I have already started looking at prospective inputs for my future purchase.
Thanks for the early inputs!
hillsnrains is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 15:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Great thread Tushar, but I think the list of enthusiast cars could be a little more selective. There's almost everything in here, I mean a Brio is good, but an enthusiast car, really? Same goes for the Alto, Go etc.

But nevertheless, good unbiased write up on the pros and cons of the cars mentioned.
Lalvaz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 15:14   #20
BHPian

I gave up reading when I saw the Go. Also, if Swift could be in the list then why should the Fiesta be left out?

The intention is good, but the list could do with some refinement.
civic-sense is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 15:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

This lineup can't be complete without the 2014 Ford Fiesta.
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 15:22   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Virtually every VAG car upto 20L is in the list.

Sad to see Honda not catering to the enthusiasts anymore. The ol City was such an iconic car. Then there was the Civic with its futuristic styling, low slung looks and quick steering. Honda's new diesels sure are doing well in the marketplace, but none of their cars appeal to the heart any more.
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 15:28   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
but I think the list of enthusiast cars could be a little more selective.
Fun-to-drive has no boundaries of budget. I've driven an Alto K10 with good rubber on the Lonavla ghats and had an absolute blast with it. Trust me, you can have fun even with 3 lakh rupees in your pocket.

Quote:
I mean a Brio is good, but an enthusiast car, really?
Power to weight ratio better than the Polo GT TSI, revv-happy engine, tight chassis, immensely chuckable. Again, a fun to drive car for 4 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I gave up reading when I saw the Go.
Don't . Anyone considering the Alto K10 should definitely consider the Go too. It's as quick as the Alto K10, has significantly better high speed behaviour, is priced the same and offers more space.

Quote:
why should the Fiesta be left out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
This lineup can't be complete without the 2014 Ford Fiesta.
Definitely on the consideration list. Great steering & handling, let down only by the lack of power.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 15:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Well Well Tushar

Pretty well written stuff but am really surprised with the below inclusions:

1) Alto
2) Datsun GO
3) Isuzu
4) Thar(Really??)
5) Gypsy(For whom? The Indian Army??)
6) ATVs- Are you serious?
7) Eco Sport?

Exclusions:

Ford Fiesta- Not the CLassic which you mentioned. Gross omission!!
Honda Civic(From the Pre Owned Sections)
Skoda vRS(Pre Owned)

BTW, Cruze is not the same it used to be when launched. It is not such a great car to be liked by an enthusiast anymore!!
arnabchak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 15:46   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Definitely on the consideration list. Great steering & handling, let down only by the lack of power.
I am sure the Fiesta would find its way in. Power is no worse than the Swift. It handles extremely well and the steering is so accurate even though being an EPS. I personally would prefer a better handling car to a faster one.

Also shouldn't the Yeti find its way here? Top variant goes out of the 20L barrier, but still....
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 16:04   #26
BHPian

Sorry for the rant. Please delete, if this is considered off-topic.

Wish there was a fresh write-up or format for this year's line-up. >70% of the content is copied from last year's thread. At least the opening post could have been changed a bit. A better option would have been to edit the earlier thread and add or remove a few cars.

-----------

Shouldn't enthusiast cars be restricted to passenger vehicles that one can own and drive on public roads, legally? Barring a few, no one in this forum would have a CV license so, Isuzu D-max doesn't make sense.

Slightly controversial, but with all the noise around Datsun Go's safety (rather the lack of it), shall a responsible forum like Team-bhp be endorsing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
If Mr. Max Mosley's comments are to be applied, Indian roads will be devoid of any cars at all. I don't see any problem specifically with the GO as long as all these Altos, WagonRs, Nanos (as per GNCAP, even Swifts in India ) are being sold and driven on Indian roads. Why single out the GO?
I am fine with people owning or driving Go, Alto, Nano, etc. My point is that we shouldn't endorse them especially when their safety is questionable. With all the emotions associated with Maruti's, I doubt they would be taken off this list, so gave Datsun Go a shot.

Last edited by Biraj : 19th November 2014 at 16:20. Reason: Responding to a subsequent post.
Biraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 16:07   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Well Well Tushar

Pretty well written stuff but am really surprised with the below inclusions:

1) Alto
2) Datsun GO
4) Thar(Really??)
5) Gypsy(For whom? The Indian Army??)
Depends on how you define an enthusiast. All of these 4 are enthusiastic to drive / take off road. The Alto (overall I hate it since its birth) is certainly a pocket rocket no doubt. Put the pedal to the metal and boy does it run. Its the Indian economy incarnation of a "point and squirt" car!
Thar & Gypsys will always be for the off road enthusiasts. What else is there?

Quote:
7) Eco Sport?
Fully agree with you. It has plenty gizmos - no doubt. But even I don't see anything enthusiastic in it. The EcoBoost is rev happy yes, but its turbo lag will put any enthusiast off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Slightly controversial, but with all the noise around Datsun Go's safety (rather the lack of it), shall a responsible forum like Team-bhp be endorsing it?
If Mr. Max Mosley's comments are to be applied, Indian roads will be devoid of any cars at all. I don't see any problem specifically with the GO as long as all these Altos, WagonRs, Nanos (as per GNCAP, even Swifts in India ) are being sold and driven on Indian roads. Why single out the GO?

Last edited by Reinhard : 19th November 2014 at 16:14.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 16:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Fully agree with you. It has plenty gizmos - no doubt. But even I don't see anything enthusiastic in it. The EcoBoost is rev happy yes, but its turbo lag will put any enthusiast off.
From Autocar's 2013 Mega Track Test
Quote:
With its turbocharged 123bhp EcoBoost motor and relatively sporty suspension, we thought the Ford EcoSport had the potential to provide a bit of a surprise; and it did.

Its time wasn’t blisteringly quick, but consider the fact that the Ford is an SUV that is as quick as a Maruti Swift around the track, and you soon realise Ford has got something special here. Of course, it has more straight-line speed and less overall grip in absolute terms, but what impressed Narain Karthikeyan was how well the Ford EcoSport SUV allowed him to attack the corners.

“It’s pretty nice,” he said, sounding surprised. “It has a high centre of gravity, but is
great on the track despite that. The engine is fantastic and the brakes are brilliant.”
src: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fea...-362741.aspx/0
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 16:30   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
From Autocar's 2013 Mega Track Test

src: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fea...-362741.aspx/0
You did notice that the article quoted Narain Karthikeyan right?
On the track - yes may be it is fun to drive. But off-track, on Indian roads, the turbo lag is frustrating. And I say that when I drive the king of the turbo lag - Fiat 1.3 MJD. So thats something!

Have you experienced the EcoBoost? I've taken it for a short spin & the turbo lag is what I remember the most.
Old 19th November 2014, 16:53   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thar, Gypsy
Enthusiasts can have a lot of fun with off-roaders . Check out our 4x4 forum!

Quote:
ATVs- Are you serious?
Drive one . Yep, we're serious.

Quote:
Eco Sport?
Actually, the EcoSport wasn't originally part of our 2013 list. It was added based on BHPian suggestions. Do refer to the older thread for the discussion.

Nevertheless, it is a good handler and quick as well.

Quote:
Honda Civic
Actually, a mention to the Civic is already there. Please read again.

Quote:
Skoda vRS(Pre Owned)
Too old to find good examples now. Its successor - the Laura 1.8 TSI - has been included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Wish there was a fresh write-up or format for this year's line-up. >70% of the content is copied from last year's thread.
Sort of agreed, sort of don't. For cars that are the same, no changes.

Quote:
Shouldn't enthusiast cars be restricted to passenger vehicles that one can own and drive on public roads, legally? Barring a few, no one in this forum would have a CV license so, Isuzu D-max doesn't make sense.
Why not? Can't CV owners / drivers have fun? Just kidding.

Do refer to TSK's thread. Some folk have managed to get the Isuzu on private plates.

Quote:
Has the Alto K10 been crash-tested? Thar? Liva? Gypsy? Brio?

With reference to your comment on turbo-lag, the Octavia vRS also had plenty of it. Isn't it on every enthusiasts list?
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed