Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2015, 13:15   #211
BHPian

Re: The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I pay by card and than report the card as lost. That costs approx 100 - 200 Rs.
This is slightly OT:

My God! That is being paranoid! Completely agree that websites storing data isn't 100% safe. I shop online alot. But have I ever been compromised? Nope.

Atleast in the Indian scenario, with the 2 step verification, there is absolutely no need for being this afraid. However, I do have a concern with using Indian Cards on Foreign websites, who do not use the 2 step verification. Simply put in the CVV and you end up paying.

The only recourse you're left is asking your CC company to block the payments.
Old 15th June 2015, 13:37   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
  • Which, according to you are the 'safer' Indian portals (yes, I agree, your answers will in no way make you liable in any way in case of any unfortunate...)?
Unless somebody does full security audit, it is difficult to say which site safe. But you can find out how secure the portal is on this page: SSL Server Test
You have to find the domain of the page which accepts you credit card and the domain to which the credit card info is redirected and then enter those domain on SSL Labs page. A better grade will indicate better security communication channel.

Note: www.amazon.in scores 'A' grade.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 17:31   #213
Team-BHP Support

And this is how Ola is welcomed in Mangalore...

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=327514
Old 16th June 2015, 11:22   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
This is slightly OT:

My God! That is being paranoid! Completely agree that websites storing data isn't 100% safe. I shop online alot. But have I ever been compromised? Nope.

Atleast in the Indian scenario, with the 2 step verification, there is absolutely no need for being this afraid. However, I do have a concern with using Indian Cards on Foreign websites, who do not use the 2 step verification. Simply put in the CVV and you end up paying.

The only recourse you're left is asking your CC company to block the payments.
Sorry, mods; but I think there are some very knowledgeable people here who can help us with our cyber-security concerns. May be I should start a new topic.

Count yourself lucky! If you've experienced how one major Indian bank handled a card theft, you'd be paranoid too! This was about 5 years ago - No one picks up your call
The branch manager says he cannot do anything and has to wait for the appropriate division to respond, his advice: close the account and open another one!
I've also seen how casually the PCs with all your account details are handled

I dont know about banks now but in most other places where a computer is used, the OS is Windows and it is not locked down in any way, allowing browsing and installation of all types of software (and obviously malware). I'm sure this is not the case in security conscious organizations, but one weak link can compromise your valuable data.
Old 16th June 2015, 13:43   #215
JD1
BHPian

Taxi strike in Mumbai on Monday; and Uber hits 5x pricing!
http://www.mid-day.com/articles/mumb...-ride/16293167

While we crib and complain about taxi/autos asking more, why aren't authorities taking any action against such daylight robbery? Lack of regulation?
Old 16th June 2015, 14:45   #216
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
And this is how Ola is welcomed in Mangalore...

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=327514
They are not taxi drivers. They are terrorists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post

While we crib and complain about taxi/autos asking more, why aren't authorities taking any action against such daylight robbery? Lack of regulation?
Supply and demand. Capitalism at its best.
Old 17th June 2015, 10:55   #217
JD1
BHPian

Looks like KA Transport department is finally starting to crack down on Ola's illegal "Ride time" charges-
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../47696545.cms?
Old 19th June 2015, 14:02   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been under the weather the past few days so took a cab to work and back. There is a HUGE difference between what Uber (my default choice) and Ola (backup option) charge.

I realised this after today's ride. Since Uber was unavailable, I tried my luck with Ola. Check the receipts below (essentially between the same points but in opposite directions, the extra 1 or so km accounting for U-turns etc.)

The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.-ola23km.png
The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.-uber22-km.png

Ola works out to 26.33/- per km while Uber comes to 11.87/- per km. This is not strictly like-to-like since am comparing the premium Ola Prime service to Uber Go. But for a single occupant, both are comfortable AC cars (in fact I got a Mahindra Xylo on one of my Uber Go rides!) and the 2.5x difference is really shocking.

The difference in "base fare" itself defies logic: 35/- vs 200/- which makes up for half the additional cost!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 16:41   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is anyone forcing you to chose only Uber during the surge times?
Is the surge price revealed to you only after you complete the journey?
Does Uber not tell you beforehand what will be the charges/tariff/fare?

I expect the member of this forum to not act as sensational as the media or misleading as the politicians.

Instead of asking for (yet another) regulation, why don't you ask the govt to run govt owned and govt operated taxi service at subsidized rates? (I can already think of the name: GOGO Taxi)

Last edited by alpha1 : 19th June 2015 at 16:44.
Old 19th June 2015, 20:47   #220
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Is anyone forcing you to chose only Uber during the surge times?
Is the surge price revealed to you only after you complete the journey?
Does Uber not tell you beforehand what will be the charges/tariff/fare?

I expect the member of this forum to not act as sensational as the media or misleading as the politicians.

Instead of asking for (yet another) regulation, why don't you ask the govt to run govt owned and govt operated taxi service at subsidized rates? (I can already think of the name: GOGO Taxi)
In what universe does someone even want to support 5x surge pricing? Just because they are transparent in their pricing by showing the surge rates upfront and asking for confirmation does not make that the right business practice. Infact their outrageous surge prices have raise hue and cry worldwide. Some countries/states also have price gouging laws forbidding businesses to take advantage during extreme situations. In our country you will find very few businesses doing their business ethically. They will only fall in line if there is a government regulation or "laathi" behind them, and even after that will look for grey areas, loop holes. That's a sad state of affairs but that's reality (an example would be where Uber, Ola and TFS do not have license to operate in Delhi but they are still doing it - did they voluntarily stop their business till they get license? NO). So however much I support deregulation, there are rules and laws needed to protect consumers from exactly situations like these. A business model in one country may not work in another country and in my opinion uncontrolled surge pricing of Uber is one such example.
Thanks to the media expose, Uber decided not to have surge pricing on Wednesday (17th).

PS: Uber is my #1 choice but I will continue to criticize their surge pricing.
JD1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 21:23   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

I find that their greatest adversaries are the three wheeler auto rickshaws who find their sustenance threatened.

These three wheeler drivers create a scene here at Nagpur. These taxis are not allowed to enter the railway station.

And yesterday, the entire Mumbai (suburbs), Thane and Navi Mumbai three wheelers were off the roads to protest against these taxis doing business.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th June 2015 at 21:25.
Old 21st June 2015, 13:25   #222
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
In what universe does someone even want to support 5x surge pricing? Just because they are transparent in their pricing by showing the surge rates upfront and asking for confirmation does not make that the right business practice. Infact their outrageous surge prices have raise hue and cry worldwide. Some countries/states also have price gouging laws forbidding businesses to take advantage during extreme situations. In our country you will find very few businesses doing their business ethically. They will only fall in line if there is a government regulation or "laathi" behind them, and even after that will look for grey areas, loop holes. That's a sad state of affairs but that's reality (an example would be where Uber, Ola and TFS do not have license to operate in Delhi but they are still doing it - did they voluntarily stop their business till they get license? NO). So however much I support deregulation, there are rules and laws needed to protect consumers from exactly situations like these. A business model in one country may not work in another country and in my opinion uncontrolled surge pricing of Uber is one such example.
Thanks to the media expose, Uber decided not to have surge pricing on Wednesday (17th).

PS: Uber is my #1 choice but I will continue to criticize their surge pricing.
I think surge pricing is 100% fair game and I fully support it.

Any business which prices itself based on supply demand balance is inherently fair and should be promoted because the pricing automatically balances itself out based on demand supply mismatch. If I started a taxi company and offered rides @ 70 rupees a kilometer daily, I wouldn't have any customers.

The share market works the same way. Foreign exchange rates work this way. Prices of bullion and oil also move the same way. Demand vs supply dictates pricing.

You are not required by law (or any other mandate) to take a ride when pricing hits 5x. If cost is of concern to you, you have the option of taking a bus, train or a two wheeler. You also have the option of waiting until the pricing reduces and planning your journeys outside peak hours.
MHG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 13:42   #223
BHPian

If the Government takes charge of fixing the maximum price per ride be ready for some stupid rule like App based Taxis Banned, even if they put a max rate per km they might add another tax which will be levied while using the app! It may be called App Tax.:(
Old 21st June 2015, 16:32   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. In what universe does someone even want to support 5x surge pricing?

Some countries/states also have price gouging laws forbidding businesses to take advantage during extreme situations. In our country you will find very few businesses doing their business ethically. They will only fall in line if there is a government regulation or "laathi"
1. Can you please tell how a business should price any of their offerings? Be it services (fare charges) or goods (price of a car, say)? I can already imagine you would say - cost + margin. Who decides the margin? How much?

2. Price gouging law for essential (life depends on it) commodities may still be tolerable. But for something like a luxurious airconditioned taxi, where you have plethora of alternatives (public transport) available! Outrageous is the word to describe what you are proposing.

A strange trend I am seeing these days, especially on this forum is: competition among sellers is absolutely loved and promoted by them. In fact they love the fact that it usually leads to lower price for the buyer (consumer). However, when there is competition among buyers (consumers) which turns on the heat and leads to price hike - they come out with pitchforks crying devil to burn the sellers who are branded as heretics.
WOW!

IF this is how intelligent and educated people behave, I can imagine how the masses (and their chosen representatives) in this country make decisions.

Last edited by alpha1 : 21st June 2015 at 16:39.
Old 21st June 2015, 20:24   #225
BHPian

Quote:

I think there was a strike for two days. The first day of the strike Uber disabled its surge pricing and if you opened the app in Mumbai you got a pop up saying surge pricing was disabled to help you travel during the taxi strike.

They must have enabled surge pricing the 2nd day of the strike.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks