Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2016, 22:07   #481
BHPian

Re: The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.

Used Uber & Ola on a regular basis for short trips rather than taking car out specifically when I am uncertain about parking.

For the first time used the share ride option in ola today for 2 trips (no other pick up happened for both the trips)

My only complain is I feel like vomiting whenever I ride in the back seat of a taxi, it might be because I normally read something on my phone while in the backseat but the same habit in my own cars in the back seat doesn't happen. I keep coming back to there is come cleaning agent that taxis use that causes it.

The most important feature I like is the capability to book a car for someone else, specifically useful when I am on the other side of town - call them a cab and track the journey on my phone.
Old 1st February 2016, 22:13   #482
Senior - BHPian

Tried out Uber and Ola in Gurgaon recently. Uber experience was good (1 ride) whereas Ola was mixed (3 rides). 1st ride the car was average. Nothing to complain though. The 2nd ride was pathetic. Old Eeco which was rattling and stinking. 3rd ride was a brand new Amaze. Plastic covers on the seats were not even removed. In all cases Uber as well as Ola, the cabs arrived within a few minutes. Fastest being 3 min and longest was 10 min.
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:36   #483
Team-BHP Support

I am generally a Uber loyalist but had to take some Ola rides in Dec when Uber cabs weren't readily available. Incidentally, at the same time, I received a bunch of emails/texts from TFS about promo codes and an unconditional 30% off on rides.

I booked a bunch of rides on TFS through the Ola app and realized I did not have the option of putting the coupon code. I raised a complaint and despite SEVERAL follow-ups, there was never any resolution. A representative from TFS called me today (45 days later) and enquired about the issue; turns out, discounts are ONLY applicable when you book a TFS cab on the TFS app. I did not even know the TFS standalone still existed.

Anyone looking to book TFS cabs, do remember to book them on the TFS app (and not on the Ola app) if you want to redeem any promo codes.
Old 2nd February 2016, 23:38   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Didn't expect this sort of a comment ! This is just speaking an Autowallah's mind / mentality.

Probably the cabbie should stop driving if he doesn't like jams (which is omnipresent in every large city).
Better, he can sit at a signal and sell peanuts.
I am fine with whatever fancy names the aggregators attach, but from a customer POV, the all inclusive per km rate comes up to 13 rs (including kms, ride time charge, service tax, starting base charge) which is WAY OFF the mark from what TFS advertises as 6 rs per km. Good marketing tactic. As a marketer, even I may do it. Its a free market.
For short distances (3-6 kms) in Bangalore, the per km rate is 27-30 rs.
My only point is Caveat Emptor - Buyer beware. Just going by the per km rate is misleading.
My analysis and usage of basic model cabs in Bangalore (across various times, short/long distances) tells me that Uber is the cheapest followed by TFS followed by Ola.
PS: I did NOT take Surge price into consideration.
Old 10th February 2016, 10:51   #485
BHPian

Which is reliable cab to travel to Bangalore Airport for catching 7am morning flight.
Megacabs, Ola or Meru or any other options
Old 10th February 2016, 11:56   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
Which is reliable cab to travel to Bangalore Airport for catching 7am morning flight.
Megacabs, Ola or Meru or any other options
Meru, followed by Mega. Book in advance. There is a Rs.50 call center charges. But the cab arrives 99.99% of the time. There could be one off cases with a few members here.

Stay far far far away from App rides like Uber, OLA, TFS. Reason:
- Fewer cabs at that hour.
- Unnecessary surge pricing.
- Cabbie accepts and refuses / cancels ride.
- Cab breakdown, no support from the aggregators.

Best recommendation is BMTC Airport Volvos.
I leave from BTM by the 4:30 AM Volvo and reach by 6 AM max. Depending on your location, it takes anywhere between 1.5 - 2 hrs.

Check the timings here: https://www.mybmtc.com/airportservices

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 10th February 2016 at 11:57. Reason: Corrected bus timing from BTM
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 19:09   #487
Senior - BHPian

So the OLA Micro is here. Days of TATA Nano taxi are not far away.

Rates are slightly less than even TFS.
Attached Thumbnails
The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.-1455111523736.jpg  

Old 11th February 2016, 06:12   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Meru, followed by Mega. Book in advance. There is a Rs.50 call center charges. But the cab arrives 99.99% of the time. There could be one off cases with a few members here.

Stay far far far away from App rides like Uber, OLA, TFS. Reason:
- Fewer cabs at that hour.
- Unnecessary surge pricing.
- Cabbie accepts and refuses / cancels ride.
- Cab breakdown, no support from the aggregators.

Best recommendation is BMTC Airport Volvos.
I leave from BTM by the 4:30 AM Volvo and reach by 6 AM max. Depending on your location, it takes anywhere between 1.5 - 2 hrs.

Check the timings here: https://www.mybmtc.com/airportservices
Very well said. All Ola, Gola, Pola , Uber, TFS ARE unreliable at odd hour flights, trains and also for the reasons mentioned above. Today I booked Fast track in Chennai for morning Shatabdi. I am impressed. Neat car, good drive, fair pricing .
On slightly off the topic, Shatabdi trains should learn a thing or two on seat comfort from Volvo buses. I am 6 feet tall and I feel irritated with small seats- no thigh support. It is like sitting on a stool.

Last edited by manduvindupondu : 11th February 2016 at 06:13. Reason: Stupid autocorrect
Old 11th February 2016, 09:56   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
So the OLA Micro is here. Days of TATA Nano taxi are not far away.

Rates are slightly less than even TFS.
In Colombo Uber mini is split between Nano and WagonR and Celerio.
Nano isn't that small. I don't understand this level of classification - that a celerio costing 1-1.5L extra earns a significantly higher price.
Old 11th February 2016, 10:33   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
In Colombo Uber mini is split between Nano and WagonR and Celerio.
Nano isn't that small. I don't understand this level of classification - that a celerio costing 1-1.5L extra earns a significantly higher price.
Out of curiousity i clicked on Ride Now on a Ola Micro to find out what car is it.

It turned out to be a WagonR and not a Nano as i was expecting.

Not sure on what basis they are differentiating between Micro and Mini.
Old 11th February 2016, 10:52   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Out of curiousity i clicked on Ride Now on a Ola Micro to find out what car is it.

It turned out to be a WagonR and not a Nano as i was expecting.

Not sure on what basis they are differentiating between Micro and Mini.
No one knows. Ola has the most confusing implementation.

In Mini, you get a dZire. In sedan, the same. Even in prime they will send you a dZire. Go figure.
Old 11th February 2016, 23:43   #492
BHPian

Used Uberpool first time today for variety and experience, and deeply disappointed. In theory, it is a great idea but it is a utter failure in implementation. I will have to double think for pooling by Uber.

1) I booked from Majestic rly stn to Yelahanka thinking there would be many people travelling in same direction and not much waiting time. I was the first person and no co-passengers. When we crossed Mekhri circle, and then the Superb intelligent Uber assigns co-passengers who are at Guttahalli. The driver is forced to take a U turn, go back 3 kms and pick them up. 15 mins time waste for me.
2) Has I booked UberGo all by myself, it would have costed 194. Uberpool costed me 176. Saving of 18 rupees!! That is just 9% saving, it should have been atleast 40%
3) Safety issues as mentioned in the blabla ride share thread in teambhp

Peer to peer co-ordination (Not sure how to implement it) is better than the pooling by Uber etc.
Old 11th February 2016, 23:45   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
No one knows. Ola has the most confusing implementation.

In Mini, you get a dZire. In sedan, the same. Even in prime they will send you a dZire. Go figure.
I got Swift Dezire once in Uber when I booked UberGo (basic). Touchwood. So the learning is to book the basic one and pray for an upgrade :-)
Old 12th February 2016, 08:22   #494
BHPian

I have used the Uber pool in Bangalore about 4 times till date. Absolutely no complaints. I actually am quite impressed. I ended up getting a co-passenger 2 times and rode alone for another couple of times. Both the cases, the fare was fixed upfront - doesn't change irrespective of whether someone joins you or not.
The usual fare from my friend's place in Bellandur to my house in Basaweshwaranagar would be around 300-330 during peak hour timings. I ended up paying 180-200ish which is quite a big saving.
The app always picked up someone who was on the GPS route from your pickup point to your destination. I have yet to take a detour off my prescribed route to pick up a new passenger.
Old 13th February 2016, 06:26   #495
Senior - BHPian

Had a great ride with Uber this morning. Fares have been reduced considerable. Uber Go is now Rs.6/KM in Chennai.

Would have saved around Rs.30 on my ride home if not for surge pricing. Still ended up paying only 10 more than the previous fare.

Why do Ola Share when you can ride solo with Uber Go.
Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks