Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2016, 14:02   #781
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
So looks like Uber is shutting down Uber Commute in Bangalore. I have been driving on Commute for last 2 months - and today i get a email that they are closing the Commute "Pilot" in Bangalore today. Legal issues ? Personally i thought it was a great thing - carpooling never worked for me due to flexibility issues but Commute was perfect.
People with private licenses and white boards operating what is effectively a taxi service was always going to run into regulatory problems, not to mention pressure from tourist taxi associations to shut the service down. Oh yes, and I doubt insurance claims would work if someone driving his car in an Ubercommute program were to make a claim.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 14:03   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
People with private licenses and white boards operating what is effectively a taxi service was always going to run into regulatory problems, not to mention pressure from tourist taxi associations to shut the service down. Oh yes, and I doubt insurance claims would work if someone driving his car in an Ubercommute program were to make a claim.
Yeah - i guess it was in a legal grey zone. But then how do all the car pooling stuff works ? Even bangalore police keeps promoting it.
Old 18th November 2016, 14:34   #783
Senior - BHPian

Carpooling among friends or colleagues doesn't have a formal consideration attached to it, that is it doesn't cost you a penny. You travel by a friend's car and the next day the friend goes in your car so it all evens out.

In uber commute there's a commercial service with a charge involved even if operated at an at cost basis. So that's not even a gray area.
hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 00:32   #784
Distinguished - BHPian

With misty eyes, from an infection and the stuff I'm pouring into them to cure it, I've been getting another experience of taxi travel for the past few days.

I used to use only Ola. Mrs G has recently settled on Uber, so that's how I've been travelling. One big difference (unless the Ola drivers have changed) I've noticed with the Uber drivers is that their/their system really use[es] Google Maps navigation --- right to the destination address.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 10:06   #785
Senior - BHPian

Now Ola finds another way to put customers into trouble, I have shared my conversation with Ola here, be prepared for some surprise cancellation charges.
Attached Thumbnails
The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.-ola_live_booking.jpg  

Old 28th November 2016, 10:52   #786
Senior - BHPian

I have faced this with uber - this is not really the fault of the drivers usually.
A lot of riders give very rough estimates of their dropoff points, and uber assumes that the dropoff point is correct while connecting an ending ride and a starting one.

in my case, the previous guy had asked for a dropoff location before my pickup point, but then insisted to go some two signals further, which made the guy drive another few km to take the next u turn.

Ideally the driver should insist on drop at the proper location, but they have to get good ratings, so they tend to acquiesce
Old 1st December 2016, 13:12   #787
BHPian

Yet another case of auto rickshaw drivers blocking Uber cabs from picking customers was reported yesterday at Ernakulam South Railway Station.

I understand that the driver was assaulted by the auto drivers and that the lady who hailed the cab has filed a complaint with the commissioner of police.

Below is a video of the same.

Old 1st December 2016, 18:15   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistakenguy View Post
Yet another case of auto rickshaw drivers blocking Uber cabs from picking customers was reported yesterday at Ernakulam South Railway Station.
I have seen this happening near the South Railway station. Went to pick up my folks last friday night and saw a bunch of these rick drivers chasing away a few Uber drivers. The Uber drivers moved their cars and parked close to Chittoor road, but the gang walked all the way and started yelling at them. One of them picked up a rock and thats when the Uber cars left. Maybe I caught them on my dashcam but I'll have to sift through around 50 gigs of video.
GeneralJazz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 18:17   #789
Senior - BHPian

auto drivers even fight other auto drivers who don't pay 'dues' for the particular stand from picking up passengers, so this is not exactly new.

I had this experience where me and my mom was trying to hire an auto at a local stand, and none of them were willing to go because they were complaining that they wouldnt get returns and the road was bad.
2 drivers out of the three parked autos refused and we saw a guy driving along and when we were about to hail him, the three drivers in the parked auto came out and started abusing the driver of the incoming auto who left hastily.

My mom got pissed off and gave them an earful - either they go or let someone else take us.

The third guy had to sheepishly accept

Last edited by greenhorn : 1st December 2016 at 18:21.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 18:40   #790
Distinguished - BHPian

I am sure this is just a passing phase. These hooligans are doing what they know best i.e. act aggressive in group. They know where they lack and why they are losing customers. It is funny to watch them advocate for the government pre paid booth ( from what I understood from the video). IIRC they were all against that concept when it was launched. Uber and other services are here to stay, whether they like it or not.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 18:59   #791
Senior - BHPian

Only one question to these Auto guys. Will they come for the same fare as the Uber taxi? I usually pay 170 ~ 180 rupees for CMBT to Thiruvanmiyur on Uber. These guys ask for 100 rupees just to Adyar from Thiruvanmiyur.

I regularly get an Uber when I visit my home town and it is not a nuisance like this but they keep following us asking for a savaari. I am not sure why they refuse to change to a 4 wheeler.

They don't ever put meter in Chennai. It is all flat rate or flat refusal to come at a lesser price.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 19:18   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Only one question to these Auto guys. Will they come for the same fare as the Uber taxi?.....They don't ever put meter in Chennai. It is all flat rate or flat refusal to come at a lesser price.
That's the problem. The Auto guys will never reduce their fares. Most Auto drivers have to pay rent (for both Auto and Home), spend for fuel, maintenance and have all the living expenses. Hence the higher fares. Note: I'm not defending the practice of charging astronomically high fares.

Ola and especially Uber has been pumping in money from Investors and have been able to keep the prices low. Uber and Ola give drivers incentives to attract them. And many drivers from rural areas come to cities to drive cabs to earn money. (80% of them from my expereince)

Since fares are slightly higher compared to Auto, availability is decent and the comfort of a car is unmatched, it's no wonder that people are leaning towards the convenience Ola and Uber.

If I have to a trip from home to the railway station (14 kms), I would take Uber if not travelling solo. Reason: More comfort, AC and convenience.

It's high time the government starts thinking about schemes to replace Auto rickshaws in urban areas by 2025 atleast. They should provide financial support for the drivers to upgrade to cars.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 21:49   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Ola and especially Uber has been pumping in money from Investors and have been able to keep the prices low.
I'd beg to differ slightly here. While this was true in initial period and when starting in a new city, in a place like Mumbai, there isn't astronomical incentive scheme anymore. The earnings are more than enough to cover fuel, emissions, maintenance, driver salary, tolls (if any) and then some more. Its an honest job. It pays decently provided you don't get greedy. And with a rating system for both rider and passenger, both of them must be on their best behaviour to get the best of uber.

Taxi's and Auto's suddenly seem like daylight robbery.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 22:07   #794
Distinguished - BHPian

I do tend to agree that Uber and Ola prices will rise in the near future. Although they have both stopped offering free rides and massive discounts to customers and excessive bonuses to their drivers, they still do keep the prices low and rather hand out incentives to their drivers for completing a certain number of trips. Also without fail, every week I get a coupon from them for Rs. 50 discount on each ride. Rs 50 is not big when you see only 1 case but project it over the thousands of rides per day and it becomes some serious money. How long can they continue to do that? I ain't sure. We all know that with the best of driving abilities, the per km cost of a diesel car comes to around Rs. 3+ per km just for fuel. Add to that the cost of EMI, insurance, maintenance, permits etc and there is no way you can make a good profit with those Rs. 6 per km rides being offered by Uber and Ola.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 22:45   #795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I'd beg to differ slightly here. While this was true in initial period and when starting in a new city, in a place like Mumbai, there isn't astronomical incentive scheme anymore.
I'm surprised. I get a lot of incentives to use Ola or Uber. (Some offers)

I though incentives are still in place. Using uber, my aunt came from KIAL to Arekere, Bannerghatta Road- a distance of 50 km by paying Rs. 550, inclusive of a toll of Rs. 120. I think there should be some incentive in such rides.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed