Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2014, 21:03   #76
i10
BHPian

Re: The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
His services are expensive is why. He charges 800 rupees while Meru/Quick cabs would cost me ~450 rupees or even lesser. His fleet is of regular Eco / Dzire taxis, just better seat covers.
I recently availed Savaari's fixed rate airport pick up and drop service in Delhi. Car arrived well ahead of time for the drop, drove well and safe. The pick up service was patchy as the driver was waiting near the airport to avoid the parking fees, so he started only after I called. I wouldn't vouch for their service - I almost always take Meru for airport drop - but I was satisfied with the Savaari experience.

Note - Meru probably shows up always because of the prospect of a 1000 bucks
Old 28th November 2014, 21:23   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
For me, pickup from the airport (RGIA Hyd) is a breeze... because of the Radio Taxis available there. (Meru/Skycabs) We can just go to that pickup point and get into a waiting taxi. No need to prebook. It is the drop off that I am worried about.

Overall I find Uber to be the best experience for me in Hyderabad. When I don't get a cab from Uber, I either drive myself or postpone the trip by a couple of hours and secure a Meru.
It's the same here in Bangalore.
I don't risk looking for an Uber for my early morning flights. I usually pre-book TaxiforSure or Meru Airport Taxi.
While on my way back from airport, I can always pick up a cab which are available at a snap.
However, off late I do wait for few minutes and I ride an Uber.
Old 28th November 2014, 23:35   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
However, off late I do wait for few minutes and I ride an Uber.
Exactly, last few times - I saw a huge queue for airport taxis in Bengaluru airport, so quickly looked-up uber app and got innova in a minute. I really love their full digital experience.

I just hope, the auto guys become reasonable with all these developments. For me nothing is as convenient as a doorstep auto - they just need to be reasonable.
Old 29th November 2014, 17:01   #79
BHPian

Good one!

The revolution is actually fuelled by our non efforts to improve public transport. Still the same choked buses, trains, missing connectivity at places etc etc. Hence the boom in this sector. In a city like Mumbai I'd rather prefer getting a first class train ticket for traveling north and south, than getting into a cab. It is still way quicker and comfortable as well. The biggest gripe with private cabs is cleanliness and driver etiquette. Both are a hit and a miss.

I'd love to see an 'Indian Public Transport Revolution' some day, maybe a few decades down the line.
Old 29th November 2014, 20:14   #80
Senior - BHPian

When Uber has such an excellent service why don't they allow booking in advance?

I mean keep a small fleet in different areas of the city and charge a little more than the regular service. I'm sure they'd still have no dearth of customers.
Old 29th November 2014, 20:47   #81
i10
BHPian

Quote:
When Uber has such an excellent service why don't they allow booking in advance?

I mean keep a small fleet in different areas of the city and charge a little more than the regular service. I'm sure they'd still have no dearth of customers.
I believe their excellent service perception is because they offer only instant gratification. In cases the don't, they inform right away that way the surprise (or shock) element is taken care of. If they had to plan and hold a vehicle in advance, am sure the equation would change drastically as a whole new set of logistics would have to be factored in.
Old 30th November 2014, 15:01   #82
Senior - BHPian

What timing! There was an article on comparison of various taxi services in Delhi in today's paper, including one called G-Auto.

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...30112014004005

I downloaded the G Auto app but Delhi wasn't listed in the city option. I then tried to launch their website but a bandwidth error popped up. Does anybody know whether this radio auto service is active in Delhi and how exactly does one go about booking an auto?
Old 30th November 2014, 15:33   #83
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread, never noticed it till now

I hate to drive to my shoots, therefore, its been 2 years I am regular to OLA and they have rarely disappointed me. It could be around 25-30 rides this year, in-spite of me being out of India for over 5 months in 2014.

I have tried Meru a dozen times through the mobile app, 90% of the time it was last minute cancellation or no response from the received driver contact numbers or taxi showing up without any intimation, while I am already taking an OLA booked last minute.

I would not rate Taxi For Sure even 3 stars as my experience with them is 50/50. Its like hit or miss for me. Had a very hard time explaining the location to their drivers (even the 5 star hotels within city).

Reading the previous posts, I am curious to try Uber. May be majority of my bookings are instant and I am curious to know if they can beat the good record of OLA in my books !
Old 30th November 2014, 15:42   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

Reading the previous posts, I am curious to try Uber. May be majority of my bookings are instant and I am curious to know if they can beat the good record of OLA in my books !
Does Uber provide drops to BIAL Airport especailly in Mornings in bangalore if there are two or three passengers.
Old 30th November 2014, 15:43   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Sharing my own experiences, albeit only in Bombay. Am a very regular Meru customer, both for airport runs (5-8 times a month) and for transporting my in-laws from my house (in Central Bombay) to theirs (in the Suburbs). My experiences have been largely good. Yes, some cabs are dirty, but in the last 18 months (probably over 120 trips), I have had only one cancellation. I am increasingly seeing New Etioses in addition to the Logans, while the Indigos have more or less disappeared now. The only major crib I have is about the tucked in rear seat belt latches.

I usually flip between Tab Cabs and Meru on my way back from the airport based on queue length. Tab has cleaner cars, on an average. Have also booked Tab about 10-15 times, when Meru was not available. Had 1 cancellation then - not sure if that is indicative of poorer service or just bad luck.

Started using Uber over the past few months, especially for going to and from meetings, and return journeys from the airport, where it helps avoid the Meru / Tab queue. Most of my experiences have been good, except for the two most recent ones (check the Uber thread for details).

Easy started off well, but the cabs have degenerated and I also had cancellations frequently - so use them only rarely for return journeys from the airport. Mega was always the poor cousin of Meru, and I am not even sure if they are still running.

Have not yet used Ola or TFS - unlikely to download those apps unless I have more bad experiences with Uber.
Old 30th November 2014, 16:03   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES View Post
Does Uber provide drops to BIAL Airport especailly in Mornings in bangalore if there are two or three passengers.
It could be better answered by members who have already used them. I will take my chances in the coming week and evaluate their service for the first time.
Old 30th November 2014, 16:43   #87
i10
BHPian

Quote:
I downloaded the G Auto app but Delhi wasn't listed in the city option. I then tried to launch their website but a bandwidth error popped up. Does anybody know whether this radio auto service is active in Delhi and how exactly does one go about booking an auto?
I do see Delhi as an option on their website. They have a form one needs to fill to book. They also have a 'auto pooling' kind of facility called G-Link and 6 hour packages called Heritage G-Auto They even have a reason why it might be called that way:

Quote:
Due to tiny size of the vehicle, we can take you to the narrowest location of the city like old heritage place, Poles, Chalies, etc
Source: http://www.g-auto.org/art.php#art

Prices for the regular auto service are shown as 25 for the first 2 km, and 8 per km after that. 25% extra between 10 PM and 6 AM and 7 per luggage. Handbag is free

Last edited by i10 : 30th November 2014 at 16:44.
Old 30th November 2014, 16:58   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Used uber for the first time due to their free ride week. So far I have been happy with Ola.

It was a UberX. Cab came full 25 mins after booking even though ETA kept showing 10 mins. I had to call the driver to check if he was even coming!

Dwarka to Delhi Cantt. Saturday - 10.45am. Less than 12kms. This guy took 54 mins! Was reluctant to move even on a green signal. Deliberately crossed the major junctions only in the second light. I could feel he was doing so just to push up the bill. Finally it came to about 268.

Ola Mini usually costs 170 for the same route. And is much faster.

Maybe it was a one off occurrence, but how long before every driver starts doing the same.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 17:30   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
This guy took 54 mins! Was reluctant to move even on a green signal. Deliberately crossed the major junctions only in the second light. I could feel he was doing so just to push up the bill. Finally it came to about 268.
Uber has come up with a way to avoid this. The driver is given a bonus if he completes 3 trips in 6 hours between 6am-12pm and 6pm-12am.

In between 6 hours he may still try that but that's a lean period anyways.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 08:56   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Uber has come up with a way to avoid this. The driver is given a bonus if he completes 3 trips in 6 hours between 6am-12pm and 6pm-12am.

In between 6 hours he may still try that but that's a lean period anyways.
But why limit the '6 hours'? Also, it will sort of encourage the driver to take shorter trips, wouldn't it?

I purposefully did not enter a destination in the app. After getting the cab assigned, it didn't move for 15 mins! I call up to ask if he is coming. First thing the guy asks, coming sir, where do you want to go?

A team can perform only as well as its worst performer. Here the drivers are essentially the same - only thing that's changed probably, is the way they get business. It might have been through the neighborhood's biggest travel agent earlier, now its through these apps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks