Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2004, 13:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Car Launches in India: Why they invite dumb celebs

Car Launches in India are a grand affair . Cars are launched with much fan fare with celebs by the numbers being invitees. But if the celebs attending dont know anything about the cars then why invite them. Invute us petrol heads instead.

An example

I was watching the Porsche launch of Mumbai on NDTV yesterday. As usual the cars looked awesome and celebs present as well.

Now the NDTV guys interview Malaika Arora Khan about Porsche Here is what shes says

" I really love Porsche and it has been my dream car ( Note that in a previous autocar india issue she said her dream car was a Ferrari) . Thats why I have a Sonata because I feel it looks so much like the Porsche... Theres a 911 behind her *

I guess Ported will plunge into the sea after reading this

Anupama Verma sitting in the Boxter says " I'm not much into cars but i like 2 seater sports cars and I like this" Damn go get a San Storm woman

Does just being into glamour justify you to be at exotic cars launches ?? I dont think so

Dippy

Old 9th November 2004, 13:15   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

i swear it. They shud have rather invited Team-BHP. "I have a Sonata because it looks like a Porsche !!!!". I wonder how the Porsche officials must have felt after they heard that statement.
Old 9th November 2004, 13:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Actually...they shouldnt invite celebs...rather..they should invite people related to the Automobile industry...it wouldnt matter even if they invited their rivals at the launch!!
Old 9th November 2004, 13:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Haha......nice one Dip. Ofcourse, there might be a few celebs who are really interested, but the ones you mentioned surely don't count.

Shan2nu
Old 9th November 2004, 13:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

It's not just the motoring world that's doing this. Di you guys watch the recent Olympic torch carrying ceremony? Sheesh, there were more celebs than sports person.

Even politics is is getting into this dirty work, as if it isn't dirty enuf already.

Shan2nu
Old 9th November 2004, 13:29   #6
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

Majority of the buyers are gonna be the celeb's, whether they know about the car or not.

Porsche not inviting celebs to their launch would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Nobody said the world is a fair place, we just gotto live here though! Atleast now we get to see these beauties on our roads (hey, gotto look at the positives right *)

Rt

P.S. I think Porsche should shave Malaika's hair off for saying a Sonata looks like a 911!!!

Old 9th November 2004, 13:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I think Porsche should shave Malaika's hair off for saying a Sonata looks like a 911!!!
Shave her hair tie her hands up and tie the other end of the rope to a Cayenne blacken her face and take her around Town.

P.S : Sport a Team BHP sticker on the Cayenne
Old 9th November 2004, 13:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice one Dipps!!
Old 9th November 2004, 13:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

WOW !!!

Hyundai ad agencies must have gone to work double quick after malaika's statement ....atleast try n see if the looks can save its flagging (or is it dead ) sales ?

cheers
Old 9th November 2004, 14:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sonata looks like the 911?!?!? *[img]http://www.team-bhp.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/***.gif[/img]

Now i've heard everything!!! *

Drifter
Old 9th November 2004, 14:24   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

" I really love Porsche and it has been my dream car ( Note that in a previous autocar india issue she said her dream car was a Ferrari) . Thats why I have a Sonata because I feel it looks so much like the Porsche... Theres a 911 behind her

I guess Ported will plunge into the sea after reading this
D-U-M-B!! Why call people who dont know crap about cars. I dont know much about jewellery either, and trust me...You wont find me commenting on that topic. I dont mind being honest about my ignorance on certain topics.

Buttttttttttttttttt the key here is attention. Making it to the bombay times. Having the page three types getting conversant about it. Am sure that Malaika pocketed a tidy sum for that appearance.

GTO
Old 9th November 2004, 14:27   #12
bhp
BHPian

how can any 1 compare a sonata to a 911 [img]http://www.team-bhp.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/***.gif[/img]
Old 9th November 2004, 15:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

just the same as the other day..............

the sl500 passed from my area, and someone behind me shouted to his friend - 'yede, dekha kya, ferrari gaya......kya bhaga raha tha'
Old 9th November 2004, 16:08   #14
F50
Senior - BHPian

Well well well .... heard people saying SL 55 as Sonata .... not surprised Sonata called as 911 .... I mean like what the hell did she see that she is comparing it with 911 ..... There are very few celebs who know about cars rest all crap ... if asked anyone everyone will say dream car Ferrari ... Ferrari has become a household name now
Old 9th November 2004, 16:14   #15
Team-BHP Support

This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm glad Ferrari did the right thing and sold the Enzo to handpicked customers.
If people don't know what they are driving, we may not be able to stop them from owning and driving an exotic, but, they can do us a big favour by keeping their traps shut. We knew that the Sonata resembles a Merc and a Jag. In what way does it resemble a Porsche, Malaika?
Most of these celebs wouldn't even know the names of the great men behind these wonderful marques.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks