Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2015, 15:46   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Proposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Car owners need not worry

The ministry proposed reduction of fitness testing period from 15 years to 5 for every new vehicle purchased.
While temporarily it is a relief, I am worried what will come out of the proposal for 'stringent and periodic' checks. We all know the outcome of those kind of exercises.
Old 8th January 2015, 21:48   #137
BHPian

The Delhi authorities have not got a notification from the higher levels to resume re-registration of +15 years old vehicles as of now but an insider told me it might resume from 12th. Meanwhile, the figures mentioned in TOI showed vehicles contribute a mere 6.6% and out of that too, the trucks contribute 45.8% and LCVs 27.6%. It would have been a sher injustices to private vehicle owners if this was implemented. But I must say the judiciary took the right decision and spared private vehicles.
Old 9th January 2015, 14:12   #138
Senior - BHPian

re: Proposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18

Lovely....the government took the right decision as the NGT didn't consider the life cycle emissions before coming out with this directive.

They never even tried to estimate the total emissions that happen during the production of a fresh vehicle, more so emissions are recorded globally and not locally like water.

in addition to this the NGT's decision would have created a separate market in rural and tier III cities and would not have resulted in any significant gains.
Old 17th January 2015, 20:42   #139
BHPian

Meanwhile the police constables are making merry in this uncertain atmosphere.
I was driving to Noida this afternoon in my 1997 model esteem, registered in Dehradun, with its fitness extended upto Nov 2017.
I was stopped by a team of UP policemen just short of the Mahamaya flyover who after inspecting the RC, stated that my car would be impounded since there was a " Supreme court order banning cars older than 15 years from plying in Delhi/NCR "
They just wouldnt listen to my response that no such order had been passed so far, and threatened to impound my car/ levy a cash fine of 25000/impound my DL/reduced the fine to 5500, then 1000 & finally let me go after extracting 200 Rs from me.
I understand from a couple of neighbours that this scam is happening in Delhi too.
I feel that the Transport Ministry needs to put out public ads clearly stating out the correct position which we could cut out for showing to such thiefs.
Police - For you, With you Always......Hah!
Kamal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 04:18   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
Meanwhile the police constables are making merry in this uncertain atmosphere.
I was driving to Noida this afternoon in my 1997 model esteem, registered in Dehradun, with its fitness extended upto Nov 2017.
I was stopped by a team of UP policemen just short of the Mahamaya flyover who after inspecting the RC, stated that my car would be impounded since there was a " Supreme court order banning cars older than 15 years from plying in Delhi/NCR "
They just wouldnt listen to my response that no such order had been passed so far, and threatened to impound my car/ levy a cash fine of 25000/impound my DL/reduced the fine to 5500, then 1000 & finally let me go after extracting 200 Rs from me.
I understand from a couple of neighbours that this scam is happening in Delhi too.
I feel that the Transport Ministry needs to put out public ads clearly stating out the correct position which we could cut out for showing to such thiefs.
Police - For you, With you Always......Hah!
That ban, if at all; was limited to Vehicles registered in Delhi and not for vehicles registered outside of delhi.
Old 21st January 2015, 09:10   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
That ban, if at all; was limited to Vehicles registered in Delhi and not for vehicles registered outside of delhi.

I don't think so, the ban or whatever was applicable to all vehicle. However, the discontinuation of safety checks was for delhi registered vehicles only. Lets just hope it really doesn't matter any more after all.
Old 22nd January 2015, 23:23   #142
BHPian

Anyone knows the latest position re the petition filed by the Ministry of Transport in the Supreme Court against the NGT order wherein the Ministry has recommended exempting private vehicles from the ban provided they meet the fitness/pollution norms?
I'm playing it safe and not taking out my car for now, tho its handicapped my movements a lot.
Old 23rd January 2015, 21:27   #143
BHPian

Just don't know what is happening but have a feeling that it's on hold until Obama goes back
Old 24th January 2015, 08:26   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangboss302 View Post
Just don't know what is happening but have a feeling that it's on hold until Obama goes back

Too true, but then again you cant take any vehicle on the road in Delhi during Obama's visit as all the major road in Delhi will be blocked for security reasons and the once that are not will be utterly choke full bumper to bumper.

Jeroen
Old 28th January 2015, 00:16   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangboss302 View Post
And What made you think like that?
How is Obama's visit related to 15 year old vehicles on road?

Last edited by akshay4587 : 28th January 2015 at 00:18.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 23:27   #146
BHPian

Just that the government wanted to keep the air clean until obama goes back. But the two Countries have shown a concern and agreed to take steps towards clean energy. I asked my sister from states and a friend in gulf about fitness rules there. Both told me fitness compulsory for vehicles above 5 years old and they check that each year. I bet this will help cut off a lot of cars which pollute beyond well maintained +15 years old vehicles. When Indian rulers want India to be as developed like states gulf and Europe, they should follow some good policies of those countries also. All Agree?
Old 3rd February 2015, 19:28   #147
Senior - BHPian

Any update on this?
Are the RTO's giving out fitness certificates again?
Any reports of Cops creating trouble on road for 15+ year old vehicles?
Old 4th February 2015, 20:28   #148
BHPian

Don't know myself. My agent has not given me any update on the same. Now I believe it will be done after elections.
Old 12th February 2015, 21:17   #149
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Delhi is not the only city thinking of doing this.
Paris is going to ban all private vehicles registered before 31st December 1996. It is also going to ban all trucks, lorries, coaches from entering the city. What's more, these restrictions are only going to get stricter because by 2020, only those cars registered after 2011 will be allowed!!
Quote:
Also on this summer’s hit list are cars registered before 31 December 1996 and vans and light trucks registered before 30 September 1997.

According to French media reports, these restrictions will become progressively tighter over the rest of this decade until 2020, when the only private vehicles allowed to drive in central Paris will be cars registered after 2011 and motorcycles registered after July 2015.
The Parisian Mayor was even quoted as blaming diesel cars!

Quote:
According to one report, Parisian mayor Anne Hidalgo was quoted as saying that while the older diesel cars were the most polluting, “even the filters in the latest models can’t get rid of the most dangerous fine particles”.
Link: Paris too

Last edited by aah78 : 13th February 2015 at 19:10. Reason: Changed 32st to 31st ;)
Old 16th February 2015, 15:32   #150
BHPian

Got an update from the authority. They have not yet got any notification on resuming the same. Verified by my agent also.
mustangboss302 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks