Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2014, 13:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Proposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18

Extremely stupid move I say. Instead of cleaning up corrupt RTO's which will give fitness certificate to just about anything with or without wheels, they let the axe fall on the car owners, even those who religiously maintain their cars.
I guess it is time we need a clean government in Delhi which can make the rotten public sector machinery work.
extreme_torque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 13:39   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Can the NGT guide the people who are maintaining older than 15 years vehicles, what they're supposed to do when their transport is scrapped?
It's very apparent that only a minor percentage will be maintaining these for sentimental value, and can easily drop enough money for a new car or bike, if required.
What about people who keep these vehicles since it was what they could afford, AND maintain them better than most people do with 5 month old vehicles.

I'm sure you have looked at the very competent public transport system, which is completely capable of ALL transportation needs, yeah?

Not my job, eh, NGT?

Last edited by mayankk : 27th November 2014 at 13:41.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 13:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Surprisingly, the TOI mentioned today that the ban applies to diesel vehicles only. Not sure where they got their information from.
Its mentioned for both petrol and diesel vehicles.

TOI : Court orders ban on vehicles older than 15 years
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45290291.cms via @timesofindia
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 14:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ridiculous law one sided ruling! We need to enforce a strict Britain like MOT and fitness regime every 5 yrs for cars older than 15yrs that should include checking of engine, chassis Electricals et all. If the vehicle passes this test why should it be off the road be it 15 or 150 yrs old. Soon they may say it's time to recycle people after they retire as they consume resources that surely can't be justifiable :-)
the mole is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 14:31   #20
BHPian

re: Proposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18

If this happens, the used car market in north will be simply flooded with such cars. Can someone please take the effort to list out the cars which can be targeted

Although I'm sure sooner or later a PIL will ensure this never gets implemented.
avisidhu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 15:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

A welcome move. But would have appreciated it if it applied only to transport vehicles.
I see 30+ old lorries plying around Bangalore and producing excess amount of smoke.

The downside of this, the class car/bike market will take a hit.
Old 27th November 2014, 15:30   #22
BHPian

As long as my vehicle is not polluting, how does it matter how old it is? They should ensure pollution checking happens strictly instead of coming up with harebrained laws such as this.
venuvedam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 16:43   #23

Vehicles older than 15 years to be Banned in Delhi?

A big Hi to all team mates!

There was an article in the newspaper today that turned my world upside down. My daily ride is a 20 year old RE Std. 350. I just learnt today that National Green Tribunal(NGT) has decided to ban all Petrol & Diesel vehicles older than 15 years.

As per the order, both petrol and diesel vehicles older than 15 years will not be permitted to run on Delhi roads; and these vehicles will be seized as per the Motor Vehicle Act. The order also suggested RTO to not renew or issue registration or fitness certificates for such vehicles. If any such old vehicles are found parked in a public areas, they should be towed away and fined, NGT said.

My argument is this: when the government has laid down emission norms and as long as the individual's vehicle is able to pass and get the pollution certificate, why should it matter whether the vehicle is 5 year old or 50? Blanket ban on vehicles older than 15 years will certainly not bring down the pollution levels in any city.

The joy of using 3 different keys and 4 kick starts to get my motorcycle going is something I enjoy and unwilling to part with. As long as I keep my motor in good condition and follow all rules and guidelines laid down by the government, why should it matter to whether the machine is 5 year old or 50?

I'm sure many of my team-mates here who own cars/motorcycles older than 15 years would feel my pain. Is there a silver lining to this cloud?
Hermano is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 19:14   #24
BHPian

Planning to put in a PIL against this. any guidance and points i can add to it are welcome
mycarhasablower is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 19:48   #25
D4D
BHPian

Seriously bad move. The government should concentrate on improving pollution norms. Why ban old vehicles?

Ban those vehicles which don't perform emission tests. Ban those vehicles which emit black smoke. But why ban well maintained car? (There are a lot of those in Delhi, I'm sure)

For Vintage cars:

My solution: Tax these cars. If a guy is rich enough to maintain a Vintage car, he's rich enough to pay a tax.

Here's a catch:

Assuming few people are starting to sell their cars, who'll buy them?

I can't buy a sparsely run 10 year old M800 even though it's got some life left in it. Maybe I would've bought it if it was not for this law.

Who's going to buy that 30 year old bullet?

Normally I would've bought it. But in Delhi, I can't.

Give a though to the number of vehicles which people will not buy and will have to be scrapped.

And yes, when is the time frame of this law being applied?
Old 27th November 2014, 21:26   #26
BHPian

National Gren Tribunal - Order regarding banning of all vehicles more than fifteen years old in Delhi & NCR.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Order dated 26.11.2014-2.pdf (161.4 KB, 583 views)
S.B.Jatti is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 22:05   #27
BHPian

I am feeling so sad and depressed that I'll have to part with my pride possessions because of this law. Just can not believe that someone else does it and we get burnt. Moreover the fitness of my bikes and jeep is ok. But still it's something really depressing. I hope this is challenged and taken back.
Old 27th November 2014, 22:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
National Gren Tribunal - Order regarding banning of all vehicles more than fifteen years old in Delhi & NCR.

Is this already effective?
As said by someone earlier,this is a knee jerk reaction.
I can point out many vehicles that pollute more than 15 year old vehicles, why not ban them instead.
Old 27th November 2014, 22:38   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

The rule may be apt for commercial vehicles and public sector owned transport vehicles (viz. buses) in any part of India as they are mostly poorly maintained, made to run on cheap but environmentally hazardous adulterated fuel, repairs if any carried out on the cheap and driven by uneducated louts who push them beyond their limits!
Private vehicles are still relatively in better hands.
Even if such a blanket rule is applied though, what about the numerous auto rickshaws that are less than 15 years old but made to run on kerosene mix fuel??

Ironically this is coming at a time when Delhi is preparing for major vintage rallies like the 21 Gun Salute Vintage Car Rally in Feb. just a couple of months away!

Not to mention Delhi being host to several major shows like the Cariter! And the heritage transport museum in Gurgaon!

And yes, we all know the real motive behind such proposals!
This is a time when the local clubs like the HMCI must prove themselves! Hopefully they will take a stand against this!
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 23:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

This is the dumbest news I have heard in a long time. So the NGT has no issues with a 5 year old 3 lakh+ kms run smoke belching run down cab running on Delhi roads, but they have a problem with a 15 year old well maintained Maruti 800 which has done less than 60,000 kms during that time. Someone really needs to knock some sense into these guys. The age of a vehicle has no direct bearing on how much it pollutes. It has a great deal to do with how the vehicle is maintained though. Its easier to target the law abiding common citizen than to fix the corruption at the RTO's isn't it NGT.

Last edited by longhorn : 27th November 2014 at 23:23.

Most Viewed