Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2015, 09:54   #211
BHPian

re: Proposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18

The RC of a Diesel with a 15 Years Validity is actually happening as the MV Act is not revised. The fitness bit with 2 number channel is something which I have not researched so far but if you go there with some jack and cash probably it might work as technically the RTO can not deny anything so far the MV Act is not amended.
Old 27th September 2015, 11:47   #212
Senior - BHPian

re: Proposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf18 View Post
What if we keep waiting and the registration expires. My registration for the S class 320 expires in Jan 16. It is a beautiful well kept car but this stupid law has made me put it on the market now
All states in India still pass the vehicle and renew registration for next 5 years. A green tax is collected for the same. For a car on the verge of completing 15 years you can do the needfull from upto 1 month in advance and to 20 days late (penaly free grace period), for this law to be passed in both Delhi assembly and parliament the winter session of Parliament has to start. So get the passing done before the law is passed. You have atleast 5 years more in hand for your car.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 23:13   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Close to 29,000 vehicles will be taken off the roads from the Taj Trapezium Zone (TTZ), because they will be completing 15 years of existence in the next two months.

Quote:
The transport department has identified over 22,000 two-wheelers and over 7,000 four-wheelers to be taken off the roads.

Regional transport officer Jagdish Kushwaha said, "The step has been taken to reduce vehicular pollution in the TTZ. After December 31, re-registration of those which vehicles which have completed 15 years will not be done. And for those vehicles which have already completed its 15 years and got their re-registration done will be asked to ply outside TTZ."

A total of 28,334 vehicles registered before 2001 include 12,457 scooters, 8,611 motor cycles, 5060 cars, 1550 mopeds, 492 jeeps and 164 vans.

Taj Trapezium Zone is a 10,400 sq km trapezium-shaped area covering five districts of Agra region. The TTZ comprises over 40 protected monuments including three World Heritage Sites Taj Mahal, Agra Fort and Fatehpur Sikri.
ET Auto
Old 18th January 2016, 07:20   #214
BHPian

A new policy being formulated to phase out older vehicles voluntarily. Seems like a sensible tradeoff if indeed it is voluntary and incentives are enough to motivate people to upgrade to modern, cleaner, safer vehicles.
http://m.timesofindia.com/india/Junk...w/50618629.cms

Last edited by drsingh : 18th January 2016 at 07:21.
Old 24th February 2016, 09:32   #215
BHPian

What is the current situation wrt 2 wheelers in NCR? I have an old HH Ambition(with round headlight) 2001 model and would like to restore it with slight 'mods'(think ZMR underpinnings/wheels). I am thinking of keeping the bike for atleast 6-7 more years as I have a cache of used HH parts. Is the RTO allowing re-registration of old vehicles?
Old 24th April 2016, 12:38   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Govt. planning to automatically 'de-register' vehicles after 15 years!

According to the news and sources, if Govt. has its way, then your vehicle will be automatically de-registered once it completes 15 years of its original registration.
This is being done so as to curb the pollution problem as the old vehicles are being considered as a major contributor to this menace.
Currently once the vehicle crosses 15 years, all we need is a fitness certificate which is obtained after an inspection of the vehicle and payment of a nominal fees. No road tax is payable if life time tax is already paid, as in most cases.
Under this new rule, if it comes into effect, one will be required to pay road tax again after completion of 15 years, which would discourage people from keeping and re-registering old vehicles. Also, this system would give more liberty to states as LTT percent is still state specific.

Source: http://m.timesofindia.com/india/Auto...w/51962027.cms

My view: Again it is a half baked strategy and not attacking the actual cause. It is like taking the easy way out rather than strengthening the PUC system and it's compliance. Plus, this new rule should also consider the amount of pollution and cost of resources that will go into building a new vehicle that will replace old ones. Also, not to mention the non existent methods of scrapping old vehicles.

Over to BHPians...

Last edited by saket77 : 24th April 2016 at 12:39.
saket77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 13:02   #217
Senior - BHPian

Re: Govt. planning to automatically 'de-register' vehicles after 15 years!

This is the step in the right direction. It is not just the case of pollution. It is about safety and road worthiness too.

Supporting system needs to be built parallely. But once vehicles are available for scrap, other systems will become available. It becomes part of business cycle.
Chethan B G is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 13:02   #218
BHPian

yes this is very important step. But i think most of the private cars especially the petrol cars are well maintained hence can go beyond 15 years. In my view the pollution check mechanism should be tightened. Traffic police should be more stricter in checking PUC certificates of autos and yellow number plated cars. This policing should not be indifferent to government busses as well.

I see a lot of old buses owned by the government plying in the city which causes a lot of pollution. When the government is asked why the bus fares are not brought down when the fuel prices are reduced they simple say that they are spending that money on maintenance of the vehicle. God knows what kind of maintenance they do..
redcruiser is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 13:18   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
According to the news and sources, if Govt. has its way, then your vehicle will be automatically de-registered once it completes 15 years of its original registration. ...
Great! Time to implement a rule that only people with certain >IQ level should contest the elections!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
This is the step in the right direction. It is not just the case of pollution. It is about safety and road worthiness too...
How? We still have brand new cars moved off the shelf which has 0 crash safety rating. How does only 15 year old cars have safety concerns?! What about people who maintain their cars like they treat babies, which may fare better than a newer abused car with respect to these?
swiftnfurious is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 13:38   #220
Senior - BHPian

I have a 19 year old Premier Padmini 137D that is used for farm runs. The engine is in reasonably good condition, about 1 liter of 20w40 oil per 5000 km is consumed(of the total 5), the pump timing being a little advanced so returns a good FE of 20 kmpl.

If the above rule comes up, then i will have to buy a thar DI, a 2 tonne mean machine versus the 1 ton Padmini. And it gives 15 kmpl max for the same type of 'running'.

The vintage diesel of the 137D has no EGR. I would like to keep it the same way with the thar DI.

Go figure!
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 13:40   #221
BHPian

In theory it will be good as the new vehicles would adhere to latest Euro * norms and hopefully by 2016/17 we will have crash test norms also. So new vehicles should be "less" polluting and more safe. We might also see EVs in future, so in theory new vehicles should be good news for the environment.

But there are some hidden costs that I am not sure of,

1) Whats the environmental cost of producing new cars and recycling old cars? Hope that doesn't exceed the pollution caused by old ones.
2) The concept of "built-to-last" might be lost forever if manufacturers are expected to produce vehicles that have to last for just 15yrs. Stories of cars living across generations might be lost totally :-(.
3) Pollution contributed by private vehicles might be miniscule compared to commercial ones, not sure whats the plan for those.

I am reminded of the cell phone industry here - when I got my first cell phone (the old Nokias), they seem to have been designed and built to last longer than the current ones. I don't blame the manufactures here as they might have realised that people are changing phones more frequently and hence trading of features for build quality.
partha379 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 13:48   #222
Senior - BHPian

Government of India first of all needs a life. In this façade of bringing about a change, they are being retarded.

What if I keep my car like a queen and after 15 years too its running fine ? What if it has safety features like Air bags and Abs already ? What if it has hardly run 60 to 70 thousand km in 15 years ? Lot of 'What If's ?

Why not run scrappage schemes like the UK government runs where in if you scrap your old car, you get a certain amount. Why force people to scrap their cars even when they don't want to. I thought we lived in a democracy and not a dictatorship.
humyum is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 13:51   #223
BHPian

The article says that owners will have an option to re-register the vehicles. If that is the case, how is it different from the present situation? If I remember correctly, we had to re-register our 118NE in 2010 because it completed 15 years. There was a road-worthiness check at the RTO, a couple of forms were filled and we were given a new smart card.
The intention of the government might be to increase the tax rates for old cars so as to discourage people from using them (and encourage them to buy new cars). To me this proposal looks like a re-hashing of the tried and tested approaches by the bureaucracy.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 13:55   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Currently once the vehicle crosses 15 years, all we need is a fitness certificate which is obtained after an inspection of the vehicle and payment of a nominal fees. No road tax is payable if life time tax is already paid, as in most cases.

Under this new rule, if it comes into effect, one will be required to pay road tax again after completion of 15 years, which would discourage people from keeping and re-registering old vehicles.
I am not able to understand what has changed. Right now, if one buys a new vehicle, the registration certificate is issued with a validity of 15 years, and LTT (or one-time tax) is also paid for a period of 15 years. At the end of 15 years, the vehicle needs to be taken to an RTO for physical inspection (called 'fitness check') after which the Registration Certificate is renewed for a period of 5 years. The road tax has to be paid again for a period of 1 year / 2 years / 5 years according to the state.

In Kerala, at the end of 15 years, RC has to be renewed (for the next 5 years) after vehicle inspection, and Road Tax paid for the next 2 years. At the end of 2 years, tax has to be paid again. Also, at the end of 20 years, fitness inspection has to be repeated and RC renewed again for another 5 years.

Attaching a screenshot of my 2005 RX135 registration details from the Kerala MVD site, the RC and LTT of which expire in 2020.
Attached Thumbnails
Proposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18-rx135.jpg  

Viju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 14:20   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

As far as my knowledge is concerned, currently you don't need to pay road tax again upon issuance of fitness certificate after 15 years. This is because the tax is LIFE Time Tax or LTT. You only need to obtain the fitness certificate which is valid for 5 years for private vehicles.

Under the proposed rule, you will need to pay the road tax again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
The article says that owners will have an option to re-register the vehicles. If that is the case, how is it different from the present situation? If I remember correctly, we had to re-register our 118NE in 2010 because it completed 15 years. There was a road-worthiness check at the RTO, a couple of forms were filled and we were given a new smart card.
But you weren't asked to pay road tax again if I am getting it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
I am not able to understand what has changed. Right now, if one buys a new vehicle, the registration certificate is issued with a validity of 15 years, and LTT (or one-time tax) is also paid for a period of 15 years.
No. As I said, LTT is for life time; means until your vehicle is fit and has a valid fitness certificate even after 15 years.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed