Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2016, 09:09   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
The title of the thread is a bit misleading.

Is it "kite" based compact sedan or "Tiago" based?

If former, then which model is exactly "Kite"?
Kite was the name of Tiago untill sometime before it was launched.
Old 7th July 2016, 11:31   #152
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Unveiled at the Auto Expo 2016!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
The title of the thread is a bit misleading.

Is it "kite" based compact sedan or "Tiago" based?

If former, then which model is exactly "Kite"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Kite was the name of Tiago untill sometime before it was launched.
Kite was the code name given by Tata to the hatch (Kite 4) and sedan (Kite 5) before the hatch was launched as Zica, and then renamed to Tiago.

Wish they would launch this as Kite. Or even Kite 5 would be cool

Is the any way we can check if the name is already registered in India by another manufacturer? Or is it because with global ambitions, Tata wants a unique name available across the target markets?
Old 7th July 2016, 11:38   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Is this up for a crash testing or so? I see quite a few yellow stickers all around?
Might be at ARAI for testing and homologation. Dont think it is going to be benchmarked against the Kwid, as some other posts suggest.

PS - If its indeed snapped at ARAI - could be the 1L Kwid or the AMT undergoing testing.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 11:47   #154
BHPian

The car looks great! As good as we were all expecting. The additional features (climate control, etc.) are a good addition compared to the Tiago, but the big question is the powertrain. Same engines and gearboxes as the Tiago or uprated, AMT, etc.?

We already know the Tiago is being tested with AMT. But will it be a feature at launch of the Kite?
Old 7th July 2016, 15:18   #155
BHPian

Nice and refreshing design language by TATA though the their logo looks out of place. May be we are so used to see that it on Indigo to Indica that this comes out as sore thumb on their new design language.

Did I proposed rebranding??? why not as everything is new about their products nowadays.
Old 7th July 2016, 15:51   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

The high mount stop lamp is really an eye sore with it lighting end to end in the spoiler. Looks aftermarket. Hope better sense prevails and it back to the size it normally comes with.
Old 7th July 2016, 17:28   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The high mount stop lamp is really an eye sore with it lighting end to end in the spoiler. Looks aftermarket. Hope better sense prevails and it back to the size it normally comes with.
Well, the Bentley sports one! And it looks elegant on it. May be it's the angle of the pics and the camera quality which makes it look cheap. Shpuld look good in flesh.
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-bentleycontinentalsupersportsrear.jpg
RavSam is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 18:20   #158
BHPian

I saw this car for good 10-15 minutes up close in its not-so-dense camouflage on NH-4, last month when it was parked ahead of a toll-booth.
What I observed:
1. The highly anticipated fancy LED strip looks out of place because of the linear LED cluster and not a straight LED line.
2. The boot is well integrated and probably best in class, but in flesh the car is perceived to have smaller dimensions. Overall looked like a cramped F-type coupe with lowered rear.
3. It was a tad bit smaller than the Zest.

I think the overall design concept is brilliant and if TATA launches a full size Ciaz/City competitor, which will basically be a Coupe, they have the most beautiful thing on heir hands.
shree_shell is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 14:44   #159
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Unveiled at the Auto Expo 2016!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
1. The highly anticipated fancy LED strip looks out of place because of the linear LED cluster and not a straight LED line.
Could not really understand this statement. What is the difference between a linear and straight LED cluster? And wouldn't it be awkward to have a straight line cluster on the curve glass section?

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th July 2016 at 15:36. Reason: Quoted post with old pics removed. Thanks
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 16:00   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Could not really understand this statement. What is the difference between a linear and straight LED cluster? And wouldn't it be awkward to have a straight line cluster on the curve glass section?
I think you misconstrued the statement. I implied that multiple LED lights when placed in linear fashion form a linear cluster, which looks dotted and relatively fat(in case of Kite).
Now, with the straight LED 'line', I meant that a unified straight line of LED which could look cleaner and thinner than the dotted cluster.
Contrary to what you say, I think the 'line of LED' that I am talking about could be curved, because a lot of Bimmers have such unified LED lights in their tail lights which are curved but not dotty.
I am trying as hard as possible to be objective, I hope you get my drift.

If not a single-straight LED line, the designers could reduce the thickness(diameter) of the individual LEDs and could make it look thinner and perhaps could've added a translucent layer above to give it a more fused/blended LED line, that will look classy! something like this: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjIwWDkwMA==/z/5dAAAOSwa39Ut2my/$_1.JPG

Last edited by shree_shell : 8th July 2016 at 16:12. Reason: typo added link
shree_shell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 18:12   #161
Sac
BHPian

What you actually mean is LED guide light which may not necessarily meet the illumination requirements of the High mounted stop lamps.
Old 8th July 2016, 19:17   #162
BHPian

I think the words cluster of LEDs and a single straight line of LED are discernible enough to differentiate, however I have attached a pic of a C Class tail lamp for reference.
The continuous LED found in the pic would have looked cool on the Kite's compact rear. Its significantly bright and looks better than the dotted LEDs.
Moreover, even the Mahindra Verito Hatch has two such vertically mounted LED 'lines' in its tail-lamps so price is also not a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac View Post
What you actually mean is LED guide light which may not necessarily meet the illumination requirements of the High mounted stop lamps.
NO.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-c-class-img.jpg  

Old 8th July 2016, 20:15   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
I think you misconstrued the statement. I implied that multiple LED lights when placed in linear fashion form a linear cluster, which looks dotted and relatively fat(in case of Kite).
Now, with the straight LED 'line', I meant that a unified straight line of LED which could look cleaner and thinner than the dotted cluster.
Contrary to what you say, I think the 'line of LED' that I am talking about could be curved, because a lot of Bimmers have such unified LED lights in their tail lights which are curved but not dotty.
I am trying as hard as possible to be objective, I hope you get my drift.

If not a single-straight LED line, the designers could reduce the thickness(diameter) of the individual LEDs and could make it look thinner and perhaps could've added a translucent layer above to give it a more fused/blended LED line, that will look classy! something like this: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjIwWDkwMA==/z/5dAAAOSwa39Ut2my/$_1.JPG
Ah! Got it now. I thought you were talking about the shape of the whole structure, rather than individual LED.

I believe they have similar LED lamps (Similar to BMW) in the tail lamp assembly of the Zest, but might not have considered it for the Kite5 due to cost constraints. But yes, thinner individual lights would have looked more elegant.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 23:23   #164
Sac
BHPian

But what you see in the Kite pictures are the brake lamps. The picture you've shared above are night lamps. Even in Zest they are night lamps. So Kite might still have that, need to wait and watch.
Old 29th July 2016, 12:50   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Business Standard reports that Tata's Sanand plant is working in full-steam mode to roll out the "Kite 5" sedan by the festive season ahead.

In addition, Tata is also prepping the AMT variant of the Tiago to be launched during the same period.

Quote:
Sources indicate plans to launch the Tiago sedan (which might be named Canvas, Dribble or Ingrid, say market sources) around the Dussehra-Diwali period to cash on the festive demand.

“Tata is also working on rolling out an automated manual transmission (AMT) variant of the Tiago, expected to hit the markets around the same time,” a source said.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed