Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2016, 17:45   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Unveiled at the Auto Expo 2016!

A Kite5 test mule was snapped on the Mumbai-Pune highway by TAI member Autospy.

The brake lights and the high-mounted elongated stop lamp can be seen in action.

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-img_20161224_193827.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-img_20161224_193848.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-img_20161224_193916.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 19:41   #287
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I spotted this rather curious looking Nano in your awesome scoop photos, RavenAvi.

It looks like Tata was/is experimenting with a Nano that has a fixed rear glass, but an openable metal hatch for its small boot!

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-image.jpeg

Now that the Nano's doubters have left / been driven out of Tata Motors (& other Tata group companies), could the Nano possibly receive a fresh lease of life as the Pelican - with this kind of fixed rear glass & openable metal hatch???

Last edited by RSR : 27th December 2016 at 19:49.
RSR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 20:44   #288
BHPian

I am not commenting whether the design is good or bad. What I noticed it is exactly same as it was showcased earlier except the alloys. Here is the reference image:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-tatakite5sedan2016genevamotorshowlivephotos5.jpg  

Last edited by basubhatta : 27th December 2016 at 20:56.
basubhatta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 22:48   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I spotted this rather curious looking Nano in your awesome scoop photos, RavenAvi.

It looks like Tata was/is experimenting with a Nano that has a fixed rear glass, but an openable metal hatch for its small boot!

Attachment 1588916

Now that the Nano's doubters have left / been driven out of Tata Motors (& other Tata group companies), could the Nano possibly receive a fresh lease of life as the Pelican - with this kind of fixed rear glass & openable metal hatch???
This is the standard Nano without a hatch. The rear panel is actually bolted to close the opening.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 12:07   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

TATA Tiago's strected version - the subcompact sedan spied. Top end variant to get LED Projector headlights.

Quote:
the car is likely to get LED projector headlights and fog lamps. The Tata Kite 5 borrows its looks from the Tiago especially the large grille and headlamps.
Quote:
along with a lip spoiler which houses a LED brake light on the roof.The OVRM also feature an integrated indicator lamp.As seen in the pics, the sedan will be getting body coloured bumpers in the rear and the front
Link
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-1k.jpg
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-2k.jpg
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-4k.jpg
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-5k.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 14:20   #291
BHPian

How is this car going to be different from Zest in terms of positioning? Even Zest is a sub 4M car. Would not Kite cannibalise sales of Zest? or is Kite supposed to be a replacement for Zest?
Old 28th December 2016, 14:31   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
How is this car going to be different from Zest in terms of positioning? Even Zest is a sub 4M car. Would not Kite cannibalise sales of Zest? or is Kite supposed to be a replacement for Zest?
Zest is built on different platform all together with different proportions.

It will logically and physically replace the TATA Indigo CS (Compact Sedan) for private customer.
TATA Indigo CS most probably will continue in TAXI Segment.
Has 3 cylinder engine instead of 4 cylinder engine. (Both Petrol and Diesel) of Zest.
Has 420 Liter boot (Segment Topper)
Better Fit and Finish in both exterior and interior than TATA Indigo and all other previous TATA Cars.
Better Handler than TATA Indigo CS.
Better Fuel Economy than TATA Indigo CS.
It will be placed below TATA Zest segment on price (On Road Price) as TATA Indigo as baseline.
dbaapps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 23:36   #293
BHPian

Does not look very good and its hard to not notice the thin tyres! Look like stilts from the back rather than tyres.
Old 29th December 2016, 06:09   #294
Senior - BHPian

So many people passing judgements about the car before even seeing it in the flesh. Most of the pictures shared here are those shot in a hurry. Don't expect them to flatter or show the real thing.

What you can take away is a bit of the design language, the extensive tests being conducted prior to launch and some body colour choices.

Wait for the actual media launch before jumping the gun and calling it a design bomb or a failure. As mentioned earlier, the launch is near, so let's hold our horses.
discoverwild is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 08:32   #295
Senior - BHPian

One needs to understand that nothing much has changed from the Concept Version (Design wise) shown at Auto Expo 2016.

Some things, like Alloys, Chrome bits have been changed.

So, it's the same car, but I don't know why so many who prasied the design when it was unveiled have started to hate/dislike it !! It's the same car, maybe this Bronze/Copper color might not be to everyone's taste.

But, we didn't see similar reaction when Ford had Unveiled & launched the Ecosport. Where both Concept & Production version were almost same barring some elements like Headlamps, Alloys, etc.

If the Tiago was praised for its design, I am sure many will like this KITE 5 when one sees it in real.
CarguyNish is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 09:22   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
One needs to understand that nothing much has changed from the Concept Version (Design wise) shown at Auto Expo 2016.
Yes. In the poll that was conducted to find out the car that vowed BHPians in the auto expo 2016 (see link below), this very same car was rated second best (The Nexon was rated first).
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...po-2016-a.html
To quote GTO on the Kite 5: "You'll have to agree that is a superbly integrated boot:"
Considering all this, I too am surprised with this negative reaction.

Last edited by Enobarbus : 29th December 2016 at 09:32.
Enobarbus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 09:38   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Top end variant to get LED Projector headlights.
Bad reporting by the concerned website.

The Kite5 will sport normal halogen projectors, as can be seen from the pics. Foglamps will carry normal bulbs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
It is to be placed below the Zest, in terms of product positioning.

As such, the Kite5 doesn't have a proper contender to deal with, except possibly the upcoming Chevrolet Essentia.

As for the Zest, it will continue to be offered. A facelift is being put through the paces as we speak.

There's also a 4m+ premium sedan being tested right now, which would take on the Honda City/Maruti-Suzuki Ciaz. Prototypes of the same should be seen on the roads soon. It's a fantastic looker inside out.

So, there will be 3 sedan offerings by Tata, with the Kite5 being the entry-level one.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 29th December 2016 at 09:45. Reason: small typo.
RavenAvi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 09:40   #298
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basubhatta View Post
I am not commenting whether the design is good or bad. What I noticed it is exactly same as it was showcased earlier except the alloys. Here is the reference image:
For a compact sedan design derived out of a regular version, I would say, this is among the best looks. Rather neatly done, than just sawing off the extra length.

That said, still the sore thumb sticking out it the disproportionately small wheels for the car.

Disclaimer: looks are subjective, but I can say what I think!
DRC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 18:13   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basubhatta View Post
I am not commenting whether the design is good or bad.
I did not comment on the design to see the repercussion of the critics after knowing that the production version is exactly same as it was in concept; and most of the people/reviewers/reporters appreciated the design at that time. An Internet search will tell you how it was appreciated.

It is actually, in my opinion, well proportioned and well designed. It shows how the sub 4-meter sedan could be a relatively pretty car rather than just adding a trunk behind a hatchback. And although we initially expected the car to be quite different in its production form, Tata Motor's design-chief Pratap Bose insisted that this is exactly what the production version would look like (sorry I could not find the link of that video interview). And now, first pictures of a production version car have finally leaked in Team BHP. The colour it shows is a deep shade of gold. I disliked the colour (the picture is although not very clear). The showcased car was in white and attractive.

The only change we can spot on this car as compared to the concept car is a set of alloy wheels that actually look as good if not better than the one that the concept came with. The car still sports a sleek notchback design with a lip spoiler on the roof that also houses the third brake light that runs across the top of the rear windscreen. Interestingly, the rear door of Kite 5 does appear to be a hatch where the rear glass also opens (however, it is indeed a normal 3-box sedan design). It is, perhaps, a new concept in compact sedans . This concept has made the car well proportioned having integrated boot rather than afterthought introduction of a trunk that can be found in most of the other cars. Who knows, people may think the existing designs as ‘disproportioned’ and accept this new design. Everything changes with time. I personally liked it (yet to judge the boot space); it may make the access to the boot easier.

The front end is pretty similar to the Tiago but gets a set of different headlamps perhaps. The rear bumper design with the large blacked out plastic area gives the car slightly lower stance. The rear chrome strip I found excessive but it has been kept exactly same as with the concept car. Kite 5 most probably gets an interior similar to the Tiago but with the possibility of a colour touchscreen display with Tata’s ConnectNext tech (just assumption).

Engines on the Kite 5 is expected to be similar to that on the Tiago. Prices are expected to be about Rs 60,000-70,000 more than the Tiago (within the range of Rs 4.5-6.0 lakh). If everything goes as expected, I do not find anything as major deal breaker. Many sedan lovers will find this car real VFM.

Last edited by basubhatta : 29th December 2016 at 18:26.
basubhatta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 21:14   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
There's also a 4m+ premium sedan being tested right now, which would take on the Honda City/Maruti-Suzuki Ciaz. Prototypes of the same should be seen on the roads soon. It's a fantastic looker inside out.
Ant more information on this one? Like code name, possible launch etc.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks