Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2017, 15:41   #601
BHPian

re: Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs

Two years ago, Zest XT could be had for the same price as Tigor XZ(O)!! Just goes on to show how fast the market in moving in terms of price hikes. That being said, the price looks good for what is on offer. Tigor is spacious, comfortable, loaded with features and stylish enough.

I had an opportunity of test-drive Tiago Petrol sometime ago. It was on a hot afternoon with 2 other passengers and AC turned on. I didn't find engine as bad as it is made out to be. Yes, the NVH isn't great but then I found it to be not much different than Honda City Diesel. Also, the engine revved cleanly and there was enough low-end grunt to potter around in city.

On-road price difference between Tigor and competitors for top-end variants would be at least a Lakh. That itself is a good 18-20% dearer. I wonder how many would be willing to stretch their budget by 20% just for engines offering better refinement. In fact, Tigor makes same power as competitors on paper making it easier for sales people to convince prospective buyers that Tigor is a better bang for buck.
ksameer1234 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 16:30   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
The competitors run much better powertrains with superior NVH. The 4 cylinder diesel engine in Dzire alone is worth half the price difference.
Totally agree. Even when a proper 4 pot 1.2l engine's pulling capacity goes down when the car is fully loaded with people, I have my own comprehensions as to what a 3 pot engine will be. Driving a 3 pot in the highway with a fully loaded car is going to be a P.I.T.A

The Tiago is priced high for all the bells and whistles it offers. Considering the Diesel prices I think Tata is expecting bulk of its sales coming from the petrol version based on how the industry in itself is moving towards the petrol.

The Hyundai Xcent diesel also suffered due to the under powered engine. We can expect the Ubers and the Ola's to be moving to the Tigor diesel.

Last edited by Nitthari : 29th March 2017 at 16:31.
Nitthari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 17:23   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The pricing for Petrol is sensible.
Agreed, the diesel could have been a wee bit more powerful and cheaper.

We should be comparing it with the Aspire, rather than the Figo.

Well, top end diesel Tigor is 7.09 lac ex showroom and Aspire Titanium is 7.3 lac. 21k difference would be justified by that engine alone IMO.
prkiran is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 17:41   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
Well, top end diesel Tigor is 7.09 lac ex showroom and Aspire Titanium is 7.3 lac. 21k difference would be justified by that engine alone IMO.
Well, the Top 'Top End' of the Aspire is the Titanium Plus, which costs 9.75 Lakhs On-road & 8.13 Ex-showroom.

Even the middle 'Top End', the titanium(o) costs 60,000 more in ex-showroom.
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 17:54   #605
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7L

I didn't even bother to look at the Diesel variant price at first look !
Frankly, going for a small(er) diesel car now might not be the wisest decision.

The petrol XZ (not the o) variant makes a lot of sense to me. I am taking it the other way: some who are interested in Grand i-10 or Swift or top variant or Celerio/ Wagon R might think of stretching their budget a bit more for this car.

A common man on budget would ignore this discussion about cylinders and power if he is getting a good looking car which has a bigger boot (a 'sedan' for some). Its not as if the engine is completely useless and the car will crawl like those trucks on Khandala ghat section of Mumbai-Pune expressway.

Lets wait for our official review and we shall discuss engines there
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 17:54   #606
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7L

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Well, the Top 'Top End' of the Aspire is the Titanium Plus, which costs 9.75 Lakhs On-road & 8.13 Ex-showroom.

Even the middle 'Top End', the titanium(o) costs 60,000 more in ex-showroom.
Those are Variants with 6 Airbags my friend. Tigor doesn't have 6 Airbags on any of the variants. Aspire has Airbags as standard across range while Tigor has it only on XZ & XZ(O) Trims. In fact, the more expensive Tigor doesn't have option packs like the cheaper Tiago. What will one say in this regard ?

The price difference between XZ(O) & Aspire Titanium is just ₹13k. You'll miss some features like Reverse Camera & Touch HU, but other essentials are all there in Aspire.

Difference between Tigor XZ & Aspire Trend is ₹20k, here the XZ is a bit better option since it gets Alloys & Projector Headlamps.

Unless you are looking at Tigor XE & XT variants, the Aspire with that better performing, more efficient & much refined 1.5 Diesel is certainly a safe & worthy choice over Tigor.

If one is looking at Petrol, the price difference is ₹0 for Trend & - ₹19K for Titanium . Even though the 1.2 Petrol isn't as impressive as other 1.2's (Honda/Maruti/Hyundai), it makes up for offering better Refinement with a proper 4 cylinder setup.

Just like Tiago, the Tigor is good car, but the Drive trains leave a lot to be desired, this is not good when someone is paying close to 8 lakhs.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th March 2017 at 23:05. Reason: typos
CarguyNish is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 18:06   #607
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs

"BMW i8 has 3 pot engine, while Dzire/Aspire have brilliant 4 cylinder engines. Utterly disappointed, BMW should have been more aggressive with the pricing of the i8, I can see it will be a big failure"
By now you all must be thinking what kind of weed I was smoking when I typed the above line. We are all bashing Tigor for the only thing that it doesn't have and forgetting the numerous other things that it has in it's favour. It's already 1lakh cheaper than the competition, when the facelifted Dzire & Xcent comes the gap will stretch to 1.5-2lakhs, how much aggressive pricing are we talking here?
Have 6-7lakhs budget and prefer power buy Aspire 1.5D, like good looks buy Tigor, prefer bells and whistles buy Xcent, looking for fuss free ownership buy Dzire, want a Honda badge buy Amaze, need a premium hatch buy Baleno, want a sporty luxury car buy a preowned BMW, need bhp figures buy a sports bike, dream of owning a Ferrari buy an official scale model, options are endless. But expecting a car that looks like Tigor, has engine of Dzire or Aspire, interior quality of Xcent at the price of Tiago is being too unrealistic.
Debajyoti is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 18:37   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debajyoti View Post
But expecting a car that looks like Tigor, has engine of Dzire or Aspire, interior quality of Xcent at the price of Tiago is being too unrealistic.
I guess you are missing the point here.

The Tigor commands more than the Zests' launch price that too with underpowered engines compared to Zest. No need to bother drawing Dzire or Aspire for comparision.

It has the looks and engine of a Tiago (with a good boot + equipment) at the price of the Zest.

The Tigor till now does not have a direct competitor. The Tiago competes with celerio so in that case you have a benchmark and how much premium you are willing to pay over the Celerio aspect.

Tigor has created a new segment and since it has no direct competitor TATA has priced it ambitiously. I guess this is the highest they could have priced it and they have done it.

It is not priced highly but not a I need to rush to the showroom to book this price either. For the sake of the car it should have been the latter. How the it fares in the sales chart will settle this argument.
400notout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 19:01   #609
Senior - BHPian

April will tell us how things go. Although it's hard to digest that our money gets devalued so quickly. Car makers were hinting at a price increase in April. So, my guess is the Tigor price remains unaffected which will make it look VFM for people who think it's overpriced.

The lacklustre performance argument has been done to death. Real world performance matters. A Tier II city dweller like me does an average speed of 30 kmph day after day. My 30 km daily drive rarely allows me the luxury of moving on to the 4th gear. The Tiago twins will hardly feel out of place here.

An extended wheelbase, a resized rear door, more legroom (?), a real large boot, one of the best looking profiles, projector lamps, alloy wheels, touchscreen, I think it's fairly loaded for the price.

I do hope that sportier versions are released in the higher variants as demand picks up.

Only feel that Tata should have been more proactive with safety features, ensuring ABS and airbags were standard on all variants. They missed the plot here.
discoverwild is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 20:48   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Though the rear looks good, there is some kind of awkwardness in the design, IMO.

Can Tata modify it to bring a small car like below? Instead of an extended egg, it resembles a car.

(Original image: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4172267)
Erm, sorry... But where are the customers expected to sit in the new modified design?

On another note, maybe a roll-over at highway speeds might create the car that you are looking for.

I am quite happy with the pricing. Maybe the slight negative sentiment is because people were spoilt by the pricing of the Tiago. And ah, yes, the 3-pot motor is a big contributor too.
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 21:18   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
The competitors run much better powertrains with superior NVH. The 4 cylinder diesel engine in Dzire alone is worth half the price difference.
Notice that I said "nearest" competitors, followed by "for now".

The DZire/XCent/Amaze/Aspire compact sedans, based on the Swift/Grand i10/Brio/Figo, respectively, are not direct competitors to the Tata Tigor, per se. Their competitor from the Tata stable is the Zest compact sedan, based on the Bolt hatchback.

If Maruti brought out a WagonR/Celerio-based compact sedan, or Hyundai brings out a (possible) future i10/Santro-based compact sedan, those cars will be direct competitors to the Tigor, because the Tiago, on which the Tigor is based, is a B1-segment hatch and a full segment below those B2-segment hatches mentioned above. Hence the Tigor is one segment below the DZire/XCent/Amaze/Aspire.

In fact, it's a point in the Tiago/Tigor's favour that their petrol engines put out almost equal power/torque figures as those cars of a segment above.

As things stand, the only direct competitor looming on the horizon for the Tata Tigor is the Chevrolet Essentia (Beat-based sedan). All others are at least one segment above, but because of lack of immediate direct competition, we are using the above-said examples as temporary parallels, for now.

With respect to diesels however, yes, the Tigor's diesel is quite underpowered and should have been priced accordingly. A 90,000-rupee premium is unjustified, specially when the Tiago's diesels are priced at a difference of around 70,000-80,000 rupees over their petrol counterparts.

Ideally, Tata should have stayed below the Rs 7-lakh mark for the top-end diesel, just to add a feel-good factor to the Tigor's pricing. (not to mention a near 1 lakh rupee price difference over the equivalent Ford Aspire's top diesel variant)

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-untitled.jpg

All prices, ex-showroom Delhi.

Prices and specificiations have been taken from the respective companies' official websites.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 29th March 2017 at 21:40. Reason: added a point.
RavenAvi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 21:18   #612
BHPian

Well, I would like to give my view on Tigor and having not owned a car in my extended family, my views vary quite a bit compared to T-BHP. My family can easily be termed as lower middle class or middle class at the best. Only 2 out of 10 families (close relatives) have cars i.e. i10 and Alto respectively. I learned to drive a car in an Alto and drove it extensively without AC.

Since the beginning of 2016, we have been looking to buy a car. My parents and I were pretty excited and happy about Tiago, we did a thorough TD of Tiago and rest of the car in that segment, and finally finalized Tiago, but unfortunately I have been travelling a lot ever since I made the booking. And comes Tigor, which offers so many things over Tiago and looks better than Tiago.

For someone who hasn't had access to a car in their whole lifetime, Tiago looks really upmarket. I have driven Alto extensively, so from that perspective, Tiago is a big jump in every single department. I really feel most of the Team-BHP forum members live in a bubble. I see people talking about refinement, power, premium interiors and other things, which are not the most important things for a first-time car buyer. For a middle-class buyer, the car needs to offer good looks, mileage, and wow-factor among his/her peers and in that respect, Tigor absolutely ticks all the boxes.

So from my perspective, I would buy it with the 3-Cyliner engine, I don't find there is any lack of performance on the highways, neither am I worried about the NVH. For me, it is satisfactory. (These observations are made after driving my friend's Tiago extensively). If I don't find an issue with Tiago, then I don't see an issue with Tigor as well.
prasathlr is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 21:23   #613
Senior - BHPian

Not sure of forum's opinion, yet Tigor should not be compared with Dzire, Amaze, Ameo etc. Zest is the correct peer for them.

Tigor and Tiago fall in same segment, just that increased boot space is made available at a cost. In all probability the car is challenging segment classifications because of its shape and the space that it offers.

This may well be an intelligent pricing strategy adopted by Tata, and even if this is an experiment, they are not too off in terms of market expectations for pricing this machine. Most of the members have commented pricing gap in '000 Rupees, again that should be seen as % difference against the competition and reiterate - right or correct competition.

I see another 5K per month getting sold if they are able to sustain the price.

All the best TML !

Last edited by i74js : 29th March 2017 at 21:39.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 21:37   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debajyoti View Post
"BMW i8 has 3 pot engine, while Dzire/Aspire have brilliant 4 cylinder engines. Utterly disappointed, BMW should have been more aggressive with the pricing of the i8, I can see it will be a big failure".
Its just not about a 3 cylinder engine. Why i8, just look at Grand i10/ Xcent 1.1/1.2 crde .Hyundai made a pretty smooth and reasonably refined motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
For someone who hasn't had access to a car in their whole lifetime, Tiago looks really upmarket. I have driven Alto extensively, so from that perspective, Tiago is a big jump in every single department. I really feel most of the Team-BHP forum members live in a bubble. I see people talking about refinement, power, premium interiors and other things, which are not the most important things for a first-time car buyer. For a middle-class buyer, the car needs to offer good looks, mileage, and wow-factor among his/her peers and in that respect, Tigor absolutely ticks all the boxes.

Nicely put. I guess if Tata gets a thumbs up from the customers in terms of reliability and fuel efficiency, there is no stopping. It will take time to gain trust. Niggle free 2 to 3 years for any of these two products, and Tata can aim much higher sales.
fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 21:41   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

With respect to diesels however, yes, the Tigor's diesel is quite underpowered and should have been priced accordingly. A 90,000-rupee premium is unjustified, specially when the Tiago's diesels are priced at a difference of around 70,000-80,000 rupees over their petrol counterparts.
The diesel was what i was mainly alluding to because the Ford Aspire Titanium diesel [discounting the 6 air bag variant as none of the variants of Tigor come with 6 airbags] despite being a segment above as you yourself suggested is only priced 15k higher than Tigor diesel top variant. It is a far more accomplished, refined product than the Tigor. Yes segments matter but because of the pricing it is not unusual for products from different segments competing against each other.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 29th March 2017 at 21:43.
needforspeed88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks