Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2017, 21:47   #616
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs

Bingo. I believe it is exceptionally well priced for what it offers. Classy exterior and interiors, amazing sound, amazing alloys, decent engines, looooong feature list, biiiiiig boot (my scross has 350 odd and Manza 460), .....

As a long term owner of Manza (1.2L over 7 years), I can tell you this will be one heck of a car to own looking at in this price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
April will tell us how things go. Although it's hard to digest that our money gets devalued so quickly. Car makers were hinting at a price increase in April. So, my guess is the Tigor price remains unaffected which will make it look VFM for people who think it's overpriced.

The lacklustre performance argument has been done to death. Real world performance matters. A Tier II city dweller like me does an average speed of 30 kmph day after day. My 30 km daily drive rarely allows me the luxury of moving on to the 4th gear. The Tiago twins will hardly feel out of place here.

An extended wheelbase, a resized rear door, more legroom (?), a real large boot, one of the best looking profiles, projector lamps, alloy wheels, touchscreen, I think it's fairly loaded for the price.

I do hope that sportier versions are released in the higher variants as demand picks up.

Only feel that Tata should have been more proactive with safety features, ensuring ABS and airbags were standard on all variants. They missed the plot here.
5kmiles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 22:27   #617
BHPian

I always thought the Grand i10 was a B1 Segment hatch, until I read this thread! What makes the G-i10 sneak into the Premium hatch category ?

The Tigor seems decently priced for what it offers, engine and safety features could have been better. But that doesn't take away the fact that its the cheapest pseudo-sedan available in the country.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 23:10   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
I always thought the Grand i10 was a B1 Segment hatch, until I read this thread! What makes the G-i10 sneak into the Premium hatch category ?
You hit the nail on its head . The Grand i10 is no bigger or more premium than a Tiago. Even the new Figo , while big on the outside is actually smaller inside.

I have checked out both the new Figo and Tiago at the showroom and liked the Tiago better. Better interiors , sound, more usable space and equal boot space.

While the Figo has a better engine , the Tiago has more features , better looks and most importantly the new Figo/ Aspire don't carry any special marks in safety as the latest crash tests have proven .

The Tiago is untested but with airbags it should equal the Figo/ Aspire 's 3 star rating.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 23:53   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
Well, I would like to give my view on Tigor and having not owned a car in my extended family, my views vary quite a bit compared to T-BHP.

-----------------

So from my perspective, I would buy it with the 3-Cyliner engine, I don't find there is any lack of performance on the highways, neither am I worried about the NVH. For me, it is satisfactory. (These observations are made after driving my friend's Tiago extensively). If I don't find an issue with Tiago, then I don't see an issue with Tigor as well.
Perspective is appreciated. IMHO, three pot engine is not a big issue. But the point is that Tigor belongs to a brand that, with due respect, neither has premium value nor mass-appeal. And contrary to some opinions expressed earlier, Tigor is not substantially low-prices compared to most other sub compacts.

Unlike hatchback which is the real wide segment, the com-sedans not just are similar sized but also are much closely spaced in other characteristics. So the question is, how far the looks will take the product? If take Aspire/Ameo as example, its not easy to make mark in this segment even when quality is thrown along with a dash of style.

Its more likely that Tigor will find hard to recreate the sales numbers of Tiago, and lack of aggressive pricing shall be a factor responsible.
Old 30th March 2017, 00:04   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
You hit the nail on its head . The Grand i10 is no bigger or more premium than a Tiago.
No bigger I can agree, but less premium?
Quote:
I have checked out both the new Figo and Tiago at the showroom and liked the Tiago better. Better interiors , sound, more usable space and equal boot space.
Good for you. But experiencing the car on the road is much different from seeing it in showroom.
Drive it, esp. on highway then see the difference.

Quote:
While the Figo has a better engine , the Tiago has more features , better looks and most importantly the new Figo/ Aspire don't carry any special marks in safety as the latest crash tests have proven.
While I was disappointed with 3 stars, it still is not nothing. So many Indian cars got 0 stars.
Quote:
The Tiago is untested but with airbags it should equal the Figo/ Aspire 's 3 star rating.
On what basis do you make this statement?
jetti is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 00:14   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post

Good for you. But experiencing the car on the road is much different from seeing it in showroom.
Drive it, esp. on highway then see the difference.

While I was disappointed with 3 stars, it still is not nothing. So many Indian cars got 0 stars.

On what basis do you make this statement?
I never said the Tiago was premium to the Grand i10. I just said the Grand i10 was not premium to the Tiago.

Well, I own an old Figo. So no car in this segment including the new Figo is going to come close. The new Figo , going by all reviews is not as good as the old one when it comes to handling.Leaving aside the difference in power, Tata cars are not poor handling cars by any means .
The Zest did get 4 stars . All the zero star cars were cars without airbags. Tata cars are usually well built.

The safety aspect needs to be tested and you can agree to disagree with it.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 30th March 2017 at 00:16.
Old 30th March 2017, 00:25   #622
BHPian

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post

is not nothing. ?

I hope you have driven both the cars extensively before you make the above statement. Because you are down right implying that Tiago based sedan is not better.

Last edited by tazmaan : 30th March 2017 at 00:26.
Old 30th March 2017, 01:51   #623

Today I got to see the Tata Tigor on the road. It was a test drive vehicle. The best part of the design is the way the rear windscreen and the boot are integrated. I just wish they had given the diesel 15 inch rims. With this pricing I think Tata have got another winner. We have a Manza in the family and it has been serving us well for over 7 years and 140K kms. Although it is lower on space when compared to the Manza, I would definitely consider replacing the Manza with the Tigor.
Old 30th March 2017, 02:55   #624
BHPian

Prior to price announcement, had finalized for Tigor petrol (top end version). Now the pricing has put me in dilemma (being close to Aspire and Zest -> which are a segment higher and have been in the market for a while now).

On road pricing at Hyderabad:
- Tigor Petrol top end pricing: 7.48 lakhs
- Zest Petrol XT (top end): 7.84 lakhs
- Figo Aspire Petrol Titanium: 7.27 lakhs
- Figo Aspire Petrol Titanium Optional (4 air bags): 7.55 lakhs
- Figo Aspire Petrol Titanium Plus (6 air bags): 8.18 lakhs

Overall difference is at a max of 70k when compared with Aspire and about 36k with Zest (which is something I can afford).

Listing below some of major positives which I can think of:
- Aspire: 6 air bags, better 4 cylinder engine, leather seats, higher ground clearance

- Tigor: Better looking, 15 inch wheels with spare alloy wheel, touch screen, GPS, reverse camera, parking sensors, better mileage, superior music system, feel its strongly built than Aspire, projector lamps

- Zest: Better 4 cyclinder engine, turbocharged, multi mode engine drive options, more spacious interiors, solidly built, projector lamps, superior music system, Parking sensors, Multi Function Display, touch screen, superior music system, higher ground clearance, Fatter tires

Suggestions / Recommendations please?

P.S: Tigor Petrol XT (@ 6.55 lakhs on road at Hyderabad), would have been a good pick -> had it come with 2 Air Bags (already comes with ABS + EBD)

Last edited by Eyas337 : 30th March 2017 at 03:00.
Eyas337 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 06:15   #625
BHPian

I do agree with what an earlier member posted - most members here know their cars and aren't necessarily representative of the aspirational India to whom owning a 4 wheeler itself is a big deal and when they look for most bang for their buck, both Tiago and Tigor deliver.

I had an interesting experience - noticed what I thought was a Tiago taking a turn into a lane ahead. Then I saw the notch back and thought - "Did I mistake an A-class for a Tiago?" Felt pretty stupid. On coming closer noticed it was the Tigor. So felt even stupider.

It did look very proportionate.
Old 30th March 2017, 06:35   #626
Senior - BHPian

Where are the ads ? No pre-launch build up in main stream media ?

When they were calling it a "styleback", I realised this might be sold based on style & glamour, but that needs its fair share of marketing. If Tata wants to regain a brand recall that's anywhere close to its competitors, they should be doing it with a huge promotional campaign. At this price, it's definitely justified to expect it.

Let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post

Overall difference is at a max of 70k when compared with Aspire and about 36k with Zest (which is something I can afford).

- Tigor: Better looking, 15 inch wheels with spare alloy wheel, touch screen, GPS, reverse camera, parking sensors, better mileage, superior music system, feel its strongly built than Aspire, projector lamps

- Zest: Better 4 cyclinder engine, turbocharged, multi mode engine drive options, more spacious interiors, solidly built, projector lamps, superior music system, Parking sensors, Multi Function Display, touch screen, superior music system, higher ground clearance, Fatter tires

P.S: Tigor Petrol XT (@ 6.55 lakhs on road at Hyderabad), would have been a good pick -> had it come with 2 Air Bags (already comes with ABS + EBD)
IMO Zest is the way to go. That additional cylinder & 25NM of torque will go a long way. So will the interior space.

I'm not even going to add "Unless you really want the design" kind of disclaimer. Zest is built better & I'm almost certain it's safer than Tigor.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 30th March 2017 at 07:04. Reason: Added suggestion.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 06:56   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Prior to price announcement, had finalized for Tigor petrol (top end version). Now the pricing has put me in dilemma (being close to Aspire and Zest -> which are a segment higher and have been in the market for a while now).

- Figo Aspire Petrol Titanium Plus (6 air bags):

- Aspire: 6 air bags, better 4 cylinder engine, leather seats, higher

As much as I think the Tigor is a great car, the engine options are a let down.

I think Aspire would be a great buy! Zest is due for some kind of facelift and hence you may buy in to a slightly older version if you buy the current one. Plus the aspire looks very proportionate and is one of the best looking sub compacts today. I'm also sure you can get some discounts or freebies on the aspire making it a even better deal.
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 07:18   #628
BHPian

Tigor should have airbags in the base version, and an AMT in the top two at roughly the same price.
TATA could have then seen the car become a huge sales success, and maybe raised prices a little after the festival season.

As they stand now, these prices are a bit high for the car on offer.

The zest will probably get a lower grade interior with less features as a taxi variant.
Old 30th March 2017, 07:52   #629
BHPian

The post I replied to was comparing Figo with Tiago, not Tigor and that too based on showroom comparison. If there is any implying, that's not by me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I hope you have driven both the cars extensively before you make the above statement. Because you are down right implying that Tiago based sedan is not better.
Eyas337,

You have already highlighted all the plus points of the Zest and Aspire. One area where the Tigor can score over them is in fuel economy and some new features.

Quote:

Last edited by jetti : 30th March 2017 at 08:11.
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 08:58   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
For someone who hasn't had access to a car in their whole lifetime, Tiago looks really upmarket. I have driven Alto extensively, so from that perspective, Tiago is a big jump in every single department. I really feel most of the Team-BHP forum members live in a bubble. I see people talking about refinement, power, premium interiors and other things, which are not the most important things for a first-time car buyer. For a middle-class buyer, the car needs to offer good looks, mileage, and wow-factor among his/her peers and in that respect, Tigor absolutely ticks all the boxes.
Very well said prasathlr. The Tigor ticks all the right boxes for the masses and TML can win the volume game if they are able to delight the masses. in my opinion they have a winner in Tigor. The masses look out for the below parameters in decreasing order of preference:
  1. Looks - Exterior
  2. Premiumness - Interiors
  3. Mileage
  4. Price
  5. Service Support (After Sales Service)
  6. Features
  7. Performance
Tigor has full marks for most of the points above barring one or two (Performance & After Sales to some extent).

Quote:
So from my perspective, I would buy it with the 3-Cyliner engine, I don't find there is any lack of performance on the highways, neither am I worried about the NVH. For me, it is satisfactory. (These observations are made after driving my friend's Tiago extensively). If I don't find an issue with Tiago, then I don't see an issue with Tigor as well.
I can give you my example. I am a proud owner of TUV3OO. You won't believe, like most of the BHPians, I loathed this car when it was launched & I had made up my mind never even to look at it. Reasons:
  • Odd, Boxy looks
  • Three cylinder engine
  • Mahindra's new launch - Reliability factor
  • So-so interiors
All the above opinions were made, sitting in front on my laptop, going through the various online reviews, in the classic "arm chair pundit" fashion. The day when I stepped inside the TUV and took a test drive all the myths were shattered.
  • Odd, Boxy looks - Helped release a lot of interior space and couldn't believe the cabin space on offer within a limited 4 meter footprint
  • Three cylinder engine - With twin scroll turbo, gives excellent low end torque and city drievability. Although some vibrations could be felt, noise level are pretty controlled (courtesy: dual mass flywheel)
  • Mahindra's new launch - Reliability factor - Last 1.5 years and 20K kms no breakdown, faced only two issues, coolant leakage and window front window glass vibrations, both were promptly addressed under warranty
  • So-so interiors - It has the best ever interiors for a Mahindra.
All the above under 10 lakhs on-road, I couldn't have asked for more.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 30th March 2017 at 09:00.
AutoIndian is online now   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks