Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2017, 00:07   #661
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Cost less (50-60K ex-sh) , more fuel efficient, stylish, projector headlamps, bigger boot, better alloys, rear arm rest, electrical boot unlock. These are some of the differences comparing to Zest.
True. But apart from "more fuel efficient, stylish, bigger boot", I am expecting the face-lifted version of Zest to close the gap in all other parameters. The price difference might widen though. Personally, I'd still pick the Zest today (for the quadrajet engine alone) if I was to choose between Tigor and Zest.
Old 2nd April 2017, 11:06   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cost less (50-60K ex-sh) , more fuel efficient, stylish, projector headlamps, bigger boot, better alloys, rear arm rest, electrical boot unlock. These are some of the differences comparing to Zest.
Perfect, so replace it, no?!

Why carry two similar priced cars in inventory?

It looks like an evolution of the Zest to an untrained eye - they will only get confused, no?

I like Hyundai's car portfolio - clear positioning of each vehicle and what it offers. Ditto even Mahindra.
Old 2nd April 2017, 11:53   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

It looks like an evolution of the Zest to an untrained eye - they will only get confused, no?

I like Hyundai's car portfolio - clear positioning of each vehicle and what it offers. Ditto even Mahindra.
Apart from the fact that these two offerings are in the same segment from the same manufacturer I dont think anyone can confuse the Zest and the Tigor. Secondly Zest does around 2.5k units regularly and thats 1/4 of the total volume of 10k units that Tata sells every month. Not only will it be a stupid decision financially, it will be risky as well given the sales successof Tigor isnt guranteed. I think both can co-exist, Zest being the more utilitarian of the two.
Old 2nd April 2017, 12:09   #664
BHPian

Quote:

As long as we are talking about eyes in good shape, there's no way in the world one can mix up these two.
And there's no rule that two similar priced cars can't be sold under one roof. One must realize that for somebody shopping in this segment, 80k is a lot of money. And not to forget the considerable difference in the fuel economy front. The points someone mentioned few posts back - good looks, boot and kina deti hai - are exactly what people are going to look for. And Tigor is the best in all above factors at the moment.
prakash_ajp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 12:15   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Zest - for People looking for good performance, interior space (it can seat 3 at rear) or AMT.
They should increase Zest length by 10-20 cm to make it a proper sedan with around 450-500 liter boot space. Zest face lift is already under progress as per reports.
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 12:26   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
As long as we are talking about eyes in good shape, there's no way in the world one can mix up these two.
And there's no rule that two similar priced cars can't be sold under one roof. One must realize that for somebody shopping in this segment, 80k is a lot of money. And not to forget the considerable difference in the fuel economy front. The points someone mentioned few posts back - good looks, boot and kina deti hai - are exactly what people are going to look for. And Tigor is the best in all above factors at the moment.
Please take off your car enthusiast lens and look at the world with a mango man's lens. Yes I've seen it up close before launch - a couple of them were stuck in gurgaon traffic allowing me to look at one closely for ~10 min last month. Its different from Zest - sure, but its not that different either (ref Baleno vs Ignis).

In my recent purchases I have seen enough folks come to Honda Showroom and enough discussions about "what really is the difference between WRV and Jazz".

Thus my comment - feel free to disagree, but please stay within mutual respect, no?

@Latheesh - Well said. That's what I thought. Zest should ideally be extended to replace the Manza ( a full 4.3-4.4m sedan basically)
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 13:06   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Please take off your car enthusiast lens and look at the world with a mango man's lens. Yes I've seen it up close before launch - a couple of them were stuck in gurgaon traffic allowing me to look at one closely for ~10 min last month. Its different from Zest - sure, but its not that different either (ref Baleno vs Ignis).

In my recent purchases I have seen enough folks come to Honda Showroom and enough discussions about "what really is the difference between WRV and Jazz".

Thus my comment - feel free to disagree, but please stay within mutual respect, no?

@Latheesh - Well said. That's what I thought. Zest should ideally be extended to replace the Manza ( a full 4.3-4.4m sedan basically)
Regardless of what lens you try, the only common trait I see is that they both are compact sedans. For a common man's eyes, all the factors I just mentioned are enough to show them as different cars. One of the reason people get confused between Jazz, Mobilio BRV etc. are because of the styling. That I don't see in Tigor-Zest case. Along the same lines, what's the difference between a Vento and Ameo?
Old 2nd April 2017, 13:22   #668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Regardless of what lens you try, the only common trait I see is that they both are compact sedans. For a common man's eyes, all the factors I just mentioned are enough to show them as different cars. One of the reason people get confused between Jazz, Mobilio BRV etc. are because of the styling. That I don't see in Tigor-Zest case. Along the same lines, what's the difference between a Vento and Ameo?
Last post here - people only get confused between BRV and Mobilio even though the former is styled very distinctly, and both had a very different positioning by the manufacturer. My problem is the same. no one cares about the underlying platform. Yes there's a different styling, but so what?

My point is still at the big picture level - the positioning is not clear if one has to explain all these features. To me, this is a repeat of the Mobilio - BRV confusion.
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 14:22   #669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...My point is still at the big picture level - the positioning is not clear if one has to explain all these features...
I think the business reason is 'scale of manufacturing'. If Tigor sees the success of Tiago, TATA will be a very happy company. Now, for the consumers, I think it's just the 'status for the price' conscious who will prefer the Tigor over Zest. Tigor looks very different from the Indica/go family and that'll help an additional bit. Zest being a flop, not sure how much will the facelift help either - so it makes sense to TATA to build a car in the CS segment to get some sales, even if new Zest fails.

For a person like me, Zest will make more sense primarily from the engine POV (more space + 3 seating, better ICE, DRL are some additional points for Zest) though I like the Tigor for a lot of feel good factors (including premium feel 'warning chimes'). I hope the new Zest will take the game further from Tigor - in that case there could be cross shopping between the two, tempting the potential Tigor customers who visit the showroom to put more money to buy Zest resulting in more profits for TATA. Could be a longer term goal for them.

Quote:
...projector headlamps...
Zest always had projector lamps - it even had angel eye rings + DRL.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd April 2017 at 14:28.
swiftnfurious is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 12:38   #670
BHPian

Looks like the case of display and test-drive vehicle is the same as when Tiago was launched - not available at showrooms.

I tried two showrooms in the Hi-tec city area and both didn't have a display or a TD vehicle.

TATA needs to improve here, when other manufacturers make TD vehicle available a couple of days prior to launch.
dheepak10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 12:50   #671
BHPian

When can we expect the Official review from Team BHP ?
Old 3rd April 2017, 13:48   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Patriotism aside, products should be judged as-is. Not as homegrown or not, IMO!

Tiago was well appreciated for all its qualities, and even Tigor is! Qualities like the external styling has been appreciated by one and all as the best in the segment.

In the same way, criticism has to be taken as well. And it all started because TATA left a small elephant in the room with the pricing.

The same ultra successful Grand i10 received a poor response with their small diesel engine. Hyundai had to rework the same for the facelift now.

Even Tigor will need to bank on the petrol variant for the sales.
I agree with your patriotism point, however you cannot ignore this factor completely as well. Just have a look at the 2-wheeler scene. Only home grown manufacturers are driving change. What have the Japanese biggies done ? dish out some under powered overpriced machines ? They treat our market like dirt. It puzzles me when smaller countries like Thailand and Indonesia get better deals and importance than India.

Of course, constructive criticism should always be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Car buying public do care and value performance. People tend to stay away from under powered cars especially when better performance is offered by competition at the same price point. Also worth noting is that real world performance matters more than on paper specs. Good example of i10 quoted in previous posts. Another example was the celerio diesel. I think TATA would be missing an opportunity by not offering good engines.
I dont think majority of the Car buying public care for engine specs, if they did, you would be seeing Abarths and GTs everywhere. I guess what matters more is how the car actually feels when driven. Many times we have seen the numbers dont translate to proportionally to on road performance.

My Liva Petrol for example, has a 1.2 L engine, but its low end torque makes me go like every time I drive in traffic or inclines. An extra cyl and some bhp more on paper doesn't always mean a better driving experience.

Lets wait for TD experiences before we call it a slouch or a dud.
anand.shankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 08:53   #673
BHPian

TD of Tigor at Concorde Motors, Prabhadevi, Mumbai.
Full marks to the dealer for being responsive, eager, arranged for TD on Sunday, no unnecessary questions, good treatment, cordial and welcoming.
Clean car, smelling good, presented well.

Not to repeat everything being said - quick observations
- Petrol engine seems perfectly fine for city run about
- Can't comment on highway performance, did not get to stretch her legs that much.

What do you actually get over and above the Tiago? Turns out a LOT actually, when you see them right next to each other.
  1. Automatic Climate Control
  2. Better HUD - the touch screen is pretty decent
  3. Nicely integrated reverse camera - a la Baleno! (one of my favourites)
  4. Boot release on the key
  5. Different head rests in the front seats
  6. MUCH different rear seat with cushioning, edge to edge and arm rest
  7. LOVELY head lamps - projectors, indicators sleeker. I felt the shape / fitment was the same. Wondering if Tigor headlamps can ever be swapped with the Tiago?
  8. 2 12V sockets (Tiago comes with only 1 - space present for 2nd) - and BOTH are more premium (from the Hexa) with spring loaded caps as compared to the relatively flimsy ones on the Tiago (similar to Manza / Vista)
  9. OFCOURSE - the boot, with all its glory - neat integration, tech trick which actually works and generous space!

Is this worth the price difference, IMHO yes. Definitely. It feels a better product overall. If it had launched with AMT - I would be one confused soul !
BUT, that being said - it's about 4 inches longer than Tiago, but feels much bigger. If the need is for a hatch - Tiago is a good buy too! Definitely feels a tad more eager in the petrol version.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 09:55   #674
BHPian

Motoroids have come up with their review of Tata Tigor. Link

They have appreciated the car on most fronts. They are sure if Tata takes care of quality and it's image then this call will be another hit for them.
Quote:
"The Tata Tigor is a pretty well rounded package. It looks beautiful, stands out in the crowd, provides lots of space and practicality, has a good engine and will take your around town in pretty good comfort. We do feel it is definitely one of the best compact sedans out there and can give even the bigger sedans a run for their money when it comes to space and equipment. All that needs to be seen is how the quality of the car turns out in the long run. Tata has made a great product now they just need to work on their image to get the cash registers ringing."
Motorbeam has also come up with their review. They are also of similar opinion. Link
Quote:
What's Cool
* The Styleback design of the Tigor looks stylish indeed
* The interiors come with a long list of features on offer
* Cabin and boot space is impressive offering lots of practicality
* Ride and handling is well balanced giving a mature driving feel
What's Not So Cool
* No seat-back pockets offered
* No AMT option being considered at the time of launch
* Slightly increased power and torque figures were expected

Last edited by PraNeel : 4th April 2017 at 10:01.
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 11:03   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
The loading lip is too narrow and the sill is too high.
Please refer to the motoroid review, the opening is as big as it can get for a car of its size. Can't figure the sill level, though from the photo.
http://www.motoroids.com/wp-content/...gor-boot-1.jpg
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks