Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2017, 22:51   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The way things are going, our 2017 Dzire Official Review will probably be live before the Tigor.
The new Dzire looks like a smashing product for this segment. Suddenly, the Tigor doesn't look all that appealing. Especially if you bring the proven reliability and the network reach of Maruti into consideration.

TML can play the price card, but I am not sure if they would want to at this stage. They must be hoping for Maruti to jack up the prices compared to the outgoing model.
Old 29th April 2017, 11:17   #722

For once, I was hoping that TATA will do what it has never done before, with the Tigor. That is, to go all guns blazing. My expectations from TATA for this specific product were:

1. Do not play the price card (as usual) but play the VFM card (people are more educated nowadays).

2. Give us the complete package - build quality (as good as europeans), features (as good as Koreans) and performance (as good as Maruti, yes, that should be their target, nothing more or less).

Point #1 - No go. Its the usual.

Point #2 - No go. Big letdown with engines.

I strongly believe that customers will even pay a little extra if they can fulfill this but no all they want is to be the cheapest in the market. Cheapest does not sell, value for money does. This is their biggest missed opportunity.
5hadow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 11:57   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
The new Dzire looks like a smashing product for this segment. Suddenly, the Tigor doesn't look all that appealing. Especially if you bring the proven reliability and the network reach of Maruti into consideration.
Tell me about it! I used to check the Tigor thread routinely earlier. But ever since the launch of the Dzire, it's stolen the show from the Tigor.

With the poor ASS of Tata, the Dzire looks like it'll trump the Tigor.
Old 29th April 2017, 12:13   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
Tell me about it! I used to check the Tigor thread routinely earlier. But ever since the launch of the Dzire, it's stolen the show from the Tigor.

With the poor ASS of Tata, the Dzire looks like it'll trump the Tigor.
My biggest grouse or i may say it's the same feeling with most of us here are the engines offered on Tigor. They are definitely underpowered.

Now Dzire matches Tigor in everything and gives proven engines too along with better A.S.S, then why will someone informed opt for a Tigor? What exactly is the usp of Tigor that I as a buyer will be interested in it over a dzire?

Tata used to sell cos of their vfm image, that's why Tiago does decent sales and they broke that perception too with Tigor. As far as I can see Tigor will be a dud for TATA now. They just don't learn.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 14:06   #725
BANNED

It's not only Tigor who lost some of its sheen after the unveiling of new Dzire - new xcent also suddenly feels outdated and weird.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 12:46   #726
Senior - BHPian

A Tiago owner bought home this New Berry Red Tigor XZ(O) Petrol.

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-fb_img_1493492151217.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-fb_img_1493492153605.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-fb_img_1493492155694.jpg

Looks very nice in this shade, doesn't it.

The owner says that the Design was the sole reason for buying one. According to him, Tata should have launched this in 1st place instead of Tiago & even the Zest.

Image Copyright - Respective Owner
CarguyNish is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 02:39   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tata Motors has been extremely lethargic in making cars available to the media.

I find it especially annoying since Mumbai is Tata's HQ and the factory is just 2.5 hours away. Ridiculous. Not only its dealerships, but even Tata should learn a thing or two about supporting an important product.
Tiago was made available earlier but had a delayed launch. Now Tigor has vice-versa situation, probably related to the major re-org / shuffling / layoffs / VRS etc., happening in Tata Motors white collar workforce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
the engines offered on Tigor. They are definitely underpowered.

Now Dzire matches Tigor in everything and gives proven engines too along with better A.S.S, then why will someone informed opt for a Tigor? What exactly is the usp of Tigor that I as a buyer will be interested in it over a dzire?
The petrol top end version (tigor v/s dzire new gen) might have a difference of 1 lakh or so, in ex-show room price. Pricing, better looks of Tigor (subjective) and heavy sheet metal (doesn't really translate to a safe car) are few points favoring Tigor.

But now with latest Dzire, I don't find Tigor that appealing anymore as well (due to the weak engine and poor ASS). Had the engines been competitive on Tigor (matching Dzire), then pricing and looks would have been Tigor's strong points (could have taken chance with TASS).

Probably Zest would be a fair comparison with new Dzire, but I don't like Zest's appearance.

Last edited by Eyas337 : 1st May 2017 at 02:46.
Old 1st May 2017, 09:14   #728

This is my first post in Team-BHP.
We visited Concorde Motors near Mysore Road Bengaluru, last Thursday, to enquire this car can finally satisfy my thirst to buy my first car. Which I have almost finalized to be Tigor. Initially I was skeptical about Tigor but I really felt the difference between a ~870KG Baleno and 1050 KG Tigor. Doors feel sturdy, hood and boot-lid feel better compared to the other Maruti peers. Except the engine specifications.

Showroom Experience:
Thursday 25-April : Nobody showed up initially during the first 2-3 minutes of our entrance, as we just kept glazing at one of the demo cars, after a moment sales executive named Abhilash came in, greeted us and asked what we were looking for. He spoke good English but I insisted him to speak in Kannada as it was more easy for me with get on with our conversations.
Concorde works till around 7.30-8.00PM weekdays, but he did not stop me nor was he was reluctant as I kept him busy till 9.30PM. (Not sure if this wasn't supposed to be this long, but he said he is okay with it). As it was late, they do not offer TD's during the night hours but he may take me a round around showroom to get a feel about it and I took the car around. I was impressed. Came back giving out my phone number and other details.

Sunday 30th April: Called the sales guy at around 4.30PM confirmed he is available. Reached the showroom at 05.00PM. Saw that Concorde people were already engaged with customers/inquiries which was expected as it was a weekend.
Met Abhilash and he said my TD vehicle was ready. It was a Copper Dazzel XZ(O) variant, vehicle was driven about 700KMs, and due to continuous TD requests they haven't been able to wash the car, there were stains on the glasses & body here and there. But the interiors were clean and tidy.

I hadn't driven a 4 wheeler for a about 3-4 months, he took the car to one of the empty roads near Bangalore University campus. Intentionally sped up the vehicle to 80-100 KMPH with AC on and showed me the braking capabilities with our seat-belts on.
Later I took on the wheels and took a couple rounds on the empty road, after feeling comfortable we hit the main road. I drove for a good 10-15KMs. Abhilash was guiding/showing me the features as we were moving along. Music system felt really great, gear shifts were smooth. Height adjustable steering and driver seats are a boon for a person like me who is 5.10 long. I was almost able to see the bonnets, which I think is not view-able to a one with average height.
Reached the showroom around 6:00PM, we went on with various discussions ranging from price tags to after sales service. There were few catch-points that I made a note of.

1. They offer Gold AMC for ~8500 INR which includes some hardware replacements and valid for 2 years or 30,000 KMS, which also has an option to renew. But it should be purchased along with the Manufacturers warranty. Is it true?
2. After the run-in period and 3 free services, the service cycles will be per year or 8000 KM. Costing around 3000/- to 5000/- INR, as he says. How far can I believe this?
3. He was a bit confused about the features in XT vs XZ, due the reason that they have not even a single XT booking as he claims. I felt it as acceptable being a new launch a month back. I did the feature comparison in detail using the excel sheet shared in this thread.

I was told have they 35 confirmed bookings since the launch and the first car was delivered last Friday. Showed me a picture of decorated white Tigor. Per him out of every 10 inquiries, 3 turn into booking. XZ/ XZ(O) variants are available almost immediately upon booking, and any other variant, will have a waiting period of 1-2 months. I saw couple more Tigors which were supposed to be delivered shortly, both were ZX(O).

We discussed some more around variant comparison, and the loan options, also introduced me to a loan agent. When it was dark he even showed us the color differentiation and the advantage of using smoked projector headlamps by doing a side by side comparison of other Tiago models (he said the headlamps would be same in Tiago and Tigor if you are not going with XZ and above).

We finally left around 9.00 PM and informing we will revert by next week once we finalize the variant and color.
Overall showroom visit twice, was good and pleasant.

Will post more updates, as I decide on the variants soon. Appreciate if any of the respected members can guide me on the first two catch points.
Apologies for grammar and brevity, if any.
mesumanth is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 13:29   #729
BHPian

Apart from engine oil and may be a fuel filter, nothing else should get replaced in 2 years / 30000 Kms. Any other replacement should ideally get covered in manufacturers warranty. Beyond the free services, you may not end up doing more than 1 paid service in the 2 year period unless you are a particularly heavy user of the car. So IMHO, the AMC may not be worth it.
MinivanDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 14:27   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Beyond the free services, you may not end up doing more than 1 paid service in the 2 year period unless you are a particularly heavy user of the car. So IMHO, the AMC may not be worth it.
I think it should cover the 12th, 18th and 24th month service and any unforeseen wear&tear like various bushes, boots and belts ..to keep the vehicle rattle free.

AMC is always a good bet
Moto$apien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:43   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

Attachment 1634390[/center]

Looks very nice in this shade, doesn't it.

The owner says that the Design was the sole reason for buying one. According to him, Tata should have launched this in 1st place instead of Tiago & even the Zest.

Image Copyright - Respective Owner
Drool Material in Red! Tigor's rear side quarters is the best looking section by far ...Nice to see white LEDs being used for Number Plate section as well.
Saw one in blue yesterday and the end-to-end high mounted stamp looks awesome in action.
Moto$apien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 11:30   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

Tata used to sell cos of their vfm image, that's why Tiago does decent sales and they broke that perception too with Tigor. As far as I can see Tigor will be a dud for TATA now. They just don't learn.
I don't think all is lost - Tigor is a fresh design, completely new model on the streets. Dzire somehow retains a familiar look even in its all new avatar. To me personally, the Tigor looks more pep, youthful than the Dzire. I think Tata will probably win over the iPhone generation just like they did with Tiago - it definitely has the feature set & looks . Maybe initially, the Dzire will cause a dent in its sales given that its a proven, new car inside out and launched almost at the same time. But am sure just like Tiago, the Tigor will hold on its own and do decent numbers for Tata.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 3rd May 2017 at 11:34.
Old 3rd May 2017, 11:41   #733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I don't think all is lost - Tigor is a fresh design, completely new model on the streets. Dzire somehow retains a familiar look even in its all new avatar. To me personally, the Tigor looks more pep, youthful than the Dzire. I think Tata will probably win over the iPhone generation just like they did with Tiago - it definitely has the feature set & looks . Maybe initially, the Dzire will cause a dent in its sales given that its a proven, new car inside out and launched almost at the same time. But am sure just like Tiago, the Tigor will hold on its own and do decent numbers for Tata.
I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly but Tigor has one major weakness, heart of the car(engine). And this is the only thing which can be its downfall. Times have changed, people are quite informed these days with access to Internet easily. Plus, Maruti Suzuki as a brand name is more trustworthy for people in India than Tata motors.

As for the youth factor, yes they care for the looks but they also care about how good and peppy the engine is under the hood and currently all its competitors are giving a better engine.
Anyways, I will be glad to be proven wrong and hopefully Tigor will do decent business.

On a side note I am yet to see a single Tigor in Fbd or delhi on my usual route of Mathura road. Though, Tiagos are aplenty with Silver being the most favored color among masses here.
Old 3rd May 2017, 12:24   #734
BHPian

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-img_4511.jpg

Test drove the petrol XZ(O) model here at SRT Tata, Coimbatore, along with two of my friends. My aunt is considering buying a car in the near future, and I decided to check it out for her and here are my impressions.

Surprisingly spacious. All three of us are at least 6ft and above, with me being almost 6'2". With one of my friends in the front seat, I climbed into the back behind him and I was pleasantly surprised with the room on offer. I did not have much knee room as my knees kept brushing against the front seat, but not in an uncomfortable manner. I thought I'd be able to manage a highway trip without needing breaks. I was even more impressed by the headroom on offer, finding it even more than the Baleno (which is a larger car) and the car overall felt a lot more spacious than the Tiago, but nowhere near the space offered by a Zest.

Ingress and egress is a bit of a hassle. Even if the space on offer is adequate, coming from a Hexa in our family, getting into the back seat is a bit cumbersome due to the low and sloping roofline at the rear. The front doors are not too bad though, and are quite ergonomic. Overall, though, not at all as difficult as getting into something low-slung like the new Skoda Octavia (which was very difficult for me, being tall).

Impressive boot-space. Opening up the double hinged boot mechanism, we were greeted by a huge boot which is quite deceiving if you look at the car from outside and wonder how they were able to scoop out such a cavernous volume in there.

Good build quality. For the price, I wouldn't be expecting anything more. The interiors feel well screwed together and built to last.

Engine needs to be worked to enjoy. If one drives the Revotron like they drive a diesel (shifting up at 2000-2500 rpm), they'd end up thinking the engine is lifeless and dead. During my whole test drive stint, apart from the beginning, I tried to keep the revs above 3000 rpm and the power on tap felt adequate. Do note that I'm saying adequate which of course means that I wish they had put in a turbocharger in here. However, I felt that even this 3-cylinder mill was fun to rev above 2000 rpm and making quick gearshifts felt very satisfying.

Ride quality is superb. We drove for a long section of the Avinashi Road in Coimbatore and onto a flyover nearby, the car soaked up the joints of the flyover really well, belying the small size and weight of this vehicle. Body roll is minimal, but can be felt while making quick lane changes or while on a fast roundabout. Steering feel is great at higher speeds when it weighs up adequately. The EPS felt comfortably light at low speeds compared to the hydraulic unit on our Hexa.

NVH levels were well controlled. Apart from when you set off while slipping the clutch, the engine felt like a smooth 4-pot mill until you approached 5000 rpm from where a bit of the characteristic thrum was evident. The balancer shaft seems to be working its magic here. The whole cabin is beautifully isolated from outside noise and the car therefore feels very premium and refined. Gear lever has some vibrations at idle speeds, which seems to be because of the unbalanced nature of a 3-cylinder engine.

The Harman ICE is amazing. This seems to be true of every modern Tata car nowadays, and even compared to my Hexa, the audio quality will not let any audiophile down. It was that good.

I hope this serves as a good short overview from my part. I recommended the car to my aunt, who is also keen on checking out the new Dzire. They came from a 2013 Swift VDI and I honestly feel that because of the lack of power in the Revotron at low RPMs, they may not like it much. The Tigor is good for the segment, but if they'd like to compete with the bigger guns, such as the Xcent and Dzire, Tata better give it better powertrains.
rshnvjy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 09:55   #735
rkg
Senior - BHPian

April shipments of Tigor is at 3638 units
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks