Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2017, 15:28   #751
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Negative. Two weeks up and the best we're hearing is 'next week'. Our Tigor demo car has become a moving target.

Sorry guys, but there's not much we can do here. Even our photoshoot isn't complete (the limited time at media drives simply isn't enough for our kind of reviews).
Guys,

An incredibly generous Tigor owner has reached out to us offering his car for a review. Many thanks to this Team-BHP fan (he will be credited in our official review) . Heartfelt gratitude sir!

Best part is, his car is just the variant that we need to drive. If things work out, we'll be driving it next week. Will also be giving the car a gift (any accessory that the owner wants) as a small token of appreciation.

Big thanks to this gentleman & to Rehaan for connecting us.
GTO is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 10:17   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

An incredibly generous Tigor owner has reached out to us offering his car for a review. Many thanks to this Team-BHP fan (he will be credited in our official review) . Heartfelt gratitude sir!
That says a lot about the credibility of this forum. Hats off to this gentleman who has volunteered to offer his very own car to TBHP for review. If ever I was approached by TBHP moderators to lend my car for official review, I would have thought twice and hesitated to take the leap inpsite of being an ardent lover of this forum, but this gentleman really has the guts.

Quote:
Best part is, his car is just the variant that we need to drive. If things work out, we'll be driving it next week. Will also be giving the car a gift (any accessory that the owner wants) as a small token of appreciation.

If this gentleman is not a TBHP member, then the first thing we should do is to offer him an "honorary TBHP membership" on the lines of Universities offering "Doctorates' to reknowned personalities. All TBHP members and non-members alike know it very well how difficult it is to get TBHP membership (take my case: I got the membership after 2 years of hard fought struggle ).
AutoIndian is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 10:23   #753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Great news and much awaited.
Though I have dropped both Tiago and Tigor from my buying list primarily cos of underpowered engine, still will be a delight to read the offical review as always.

Which engine it is, a diesel or petrol you will be reviewing?

On a side note it's absolutely pathetic that Tata Motors haven't provided a car for review. It's like they are saying we are best sellers and we don't need extra publicity. With the launch of Dzire they should have been more pro active in marketing it as much as they can.
I still haven't spotted a single Tigor in NCR region where as saw 2 dzire yesterday only.

Last edited by harry10 : 27th May 2017 at 10:29.
harry10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 15:17   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

My gratitude goes to this unnamed person. What s wonderful gesture!

This brings me to wonder what is going on at TML marketing department. Are they sleeping or are they delusional about the age they live in and the power of social media? Since Mayank Pareekh was poached from Maruti, I was expecting big changes to TML marketing approach. Sadly, I have seen little evidence of it. For example, Maruti is advertising the Baleno even though they still have a 4 month long waitlist. TML has little no presence in print or TV. The Tigor was launched so a few days of TV ads and then nothing!

Maruti and Hyundai dominate consumer recall simply because wherever one looks, one sees mostly these 2 brands. TML should, as an organisation, adopt the now dropped Avis tagline "we try harder​ because we're no. 2".
Motard_Blr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 22:17   #755
BHPian

This is great news. Having waited for long, we went ahead and booked our Tigor XZ petrol. Have already taken possession a couple of days back, my husband's still getting used to it coming from a Chevrolet U-VA. Being in Delhi, couldn't offer it for team-bhp review in bby. But really really looking forward to a review from the group, which would confirm whether our decision was right or wrong, either way.
uthra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 05:51   #756
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uthra View Post
This is great news. Having waited for long, we went ahead and booked our Tigor XZ petrol. Have already taken possession a couple of days back, my husband's still getting used to it coming from a Chevrolet U-VA. Being in Delhi, couldn't offer it for team-bhp review in bby. But really really looking forward to a review from the group, which would confirm whether our decision was right or wrong, either way.
Congrats on the Tigor! I am not sure which variant has been offered for a TD, but if its not petrol, then you might as well help.

Team-bhp mods are in most cities and the Delhi Mods should be able to review your car, or someone might be even ready to fly down from some other city. I suggest you put a note here or via the contact form if you are inclined to offer the car.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th May 2017 at 05:54.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 05:51   #757
BHPian

Comparison of Tigor, Aspire, Dzire, Xcent - top trims

https://www.carwale.com/comparecars/...5292&car4=5254

When compared to a Dzire, car that's over 1.75L more ex-showroom:

Tigor offers:
1. Folding rear seat
2. Cooled glove box
3. Projector headlamps (dzire has it too?)
4. Rear wiper
5. Rear Defogger
6. Better speakers and sound
7. Extra 60k KMS warranty
8. Sofa-like rear (I test drove, very nice seats)
9. Distinctly better door and sheet metal (feels at least)
10. 41L extra boot - very usable
11. Notchback - classy and distinguished, esp in darker shades
12. Possibly better suspension setup

Dzire offers:
1. Brake Assist
2. Extra 12v socket
3. Extra vanity mirror
4. Leather wrapped gear knob
5. Driver armrest with storage
6. Rear AC
7. One touch up for driver
8. Retractable ORVM
9. DRLs
10. Larger screen
11. Wider by about 58mm
12. Rear AC vents
13. 4-pot motors - better performer, smoother, more silent - both P and D
14. Engine start stop
15. Wider tyres
16. 5% extra FE
17. Peace of mind

Price difference on-road:
Dzire: 8.92
Tigor: 7.06

Tigor looks good to go at this comparison. I think 15-20k discounts will start coming on Tigor now. And a price difference of 2L is unjustifiable to head as well, heart already says Tigor in Red or Copper shade.

Xcent's rear - never liked. Interiors - loved. Price - too high for what's on offer.

Aspire offers extra airbags - but nothing much more, other than badge. Ford's maruti-like tin can has good front as well. That's where story ends.

Amount of effort Tata has put in Tigor is very very clear. The styling, edge-to-edge seats, interior packaging, boot space, suspension setup, edge-to-edge LED stop lamp...everything. Two thumbs up.
5kmiles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 08:14   #758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
Comparison of Tigor, Aspire, Dzire, Xcent - top trims

When compared to a Dzire, car that's over 1.75L more ex-showroom:

Tigor offers:
1. Folding rear seat
4. Rear wiper
5. Rear Defogger
Quite sure that the Tigor does not have these features. Most of these car websites give no importance to maintaining the accuracy of data, therefore the comparisons are not reliable at all. You're better off downloading the individual brochures and comparing from them.

Quote:
Dzire offers:
1. Brake Assist
7. One touch up for driver
8. Retractable ORVM
9. DRLs
13. 4-pot motors - better performer, smoother, more silent - both P and D
Is brake assist like prefill? If not, ignore this 'feature'.

I'm surprised Tigor doesn't have some sort of one touch operation of the driver power window, and am sure it does have DRLs in the top end version, but 8 & 13 will be really missed.

Quote:
Price difference on-road:
Dzire: 8.92
Tigor: 7.06
Big enough price difference to consider the Tigor, and that's what Tata is banking on. If they had just sorted out the engines, it wouldn't be so much of a discussion to pick one.
Old 28th May 2017, 14:38   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Quite sure that the Tigor does not have these features. Most of these car websites give no importance to maintaining the accuracy of data, therefore the comparisons are not reliable at all. You're better off downloading the individual brochures and comparing from them.

Is brake assist like prefill? If not, ignore this 'feature'.

I'm surprised Tigor doesn't have some sort of one touch operation of the driver power window, and am sure it does have DRLs in the top end version, but 8 & 13 will be really missed.

Big enough price difference to consider the Tigor, and that's what Tata is banking on. If they had just sorted out the engines, it wouldn't be so much of a discussion to pick one.
Tigor has a Defogger
Tigor also has one touch down on driver side power windows.

But yes, price difference is significant.
Hope over next 6 months Tata does not hike price.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 14:57   #760
BHPian

While many are comparing Tigor with Dzire and feel that it offers better value (and on paper it seems so), there is one crucial thing missing in Tigor. And that is "Dealership Experience". Couple this with typical Tata's easy going nature and one can easily see why the new Dzire has a waiting period before actual deliveries begin.
Please note this is coming from a person who appreciates Tata and very happy with the direction that they have taken.

1. When zest was launched I placed test drive requests several times through their website. No one bothered to call back from dealership. I shared the email with Tata officials as well, nothing happened.
2. Same case when Hexa was launched.
3. I went to Tata showroom for Tiago test drive. I had to sign a document stating that if the car is damaged, I will have to bear the repair expenses and dealer will not use his insurance.
4. No Tigor Media car for reviews.
5. Tiago is till plagued by shortage of alloys. Tata has increased the price of Tiago by almost 30 k till now. They initially misjudged the demand for petrol model.
6. 3 cylinder engines are OK in a entry level hatchback, but in a sedan? That too when the competition offers 4 cylinder engines.

Again I don't want to bash Tata, however these things are something which hamper the buying experience, especially when Tata is trying to cover lost ground.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th May 2017 at 22:20. Reason: typo
Old 28th May 2017, 15:02   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Congrats on the Tigor! I am not sure which variant has been offered for a TD, but if its not petrol, then you might as well help.

Team-bhp mods are in most cities and the Delhi Mods should be able to review your car, or someone might be even ready to fly down from some other city. I suggest you put a note here or via the contact form if you are inclined to offer the car.
Sure would. But need to ask hubby if he has the time to let go of his car!
Let's just hope the mods got a petrol variant for testing. Fingers crossed!
Old 28th May 2017, 21:40   #762
BHPian

There is some sort of an Auto Expo going on at Phoenix Market City in Bangalore. There were quite few cars from BMW, Toyota, Maruti, Hyundai, Skoda & Tata on display. I was mainly interested in the Tigor and also checked out the new Dzire.

As expected, the Dzire drew a larger crowd. There were many representatives from Bimal Maruti at hand as well. However, I was just shocked to see that there were no Tata Motors (KHT) representatives present! Someone finally unlocked the car doors after 1 PM or so, for people to come and check it out. Tata Dealers seriously need to show more vigour in selling this really promising product! This being a Sunday, with people flocking to malls, they honestly should have taken it more seriously to promote the Tigor!

Anyways, I explored the car on my own and found it pretty impressive.

Hope to do a Test Drive soon. For now, I'll let the pictures do the talking:

The smiling assassin! The smoked out projector head lamps really add a touch of class!
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-ext4.jpg

The Tigor has a contemporary design and will stand out from the crowd of sub-4 metre sedans. The new Dzire, even though better than the previous generation, doesn't look as premium as the Tigor in my opinion!
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-ext6.jpg

The Jaguar inspired tail lamps look lovely!
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-ext1.jpg

The Copper Dazzle shade compliments the design nicely!
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-ext2.jpg

One of the best looking OEM alloys if you ask me!
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-ext3.jpg

Sitting next to the massive Hexa, the Tigor's design makes its own mark!
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-ext5.jpg

Nice cosy cabin to be in. At this price point, plastic quality is acceptable. Front seats are raised quite a bit. If you love to sit low in your car, then I must tell you the the lowest driver seat level itself is quite high! The front seats offer excellent under tigh support and are in general quite comfortable.
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-int1.jpg

Rear seats are quite comfortable too. Front seats on the Tigor are raised quite a bit which enables the rear occupants to stretch their legs under the front seats. Cushioning is nice and Head room is also fine on Tigor. I'm 5ft 8in and my hair was touching the roof on the Dzire at the rear! Sitting slightly lower in the rear seats meant the under thigh support was compromised as well on the Dzire. Sitting 3 abreast would be a tad bit more comfortable on the Dzire however. Overall, I'd rather be in the rear seats of the Tigor than the Dzire!
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-int2.jpg

Small instrument cluster but does the job I guess. Tiago owners can comment.
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-int3.jpg

ORVMs are adequately sized. Love the body coloured inserts around the AC vents!
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-int4.jpg

Cooled Glove box is decently sized. Separate slot given to store tabs!
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-int5.jpg

The display vehicle was the XZ variant not the XZ(o). Hence you don't see a touch screen head unit.
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-int8.jpg

Quality of the switch gear is again acceptable. It certainly felt better than some of the poor quality stuff on the Dzire like the power windows & ORVM adjust switches & levers! I also prefer the dark interiors compared to the beige ones!
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-int7.jpg
red.devil_19 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 00:59   #763
BHPian

Bad timing for Tigor, facelifted Dzire will definitely have a negative impact even if it costs more.

Last edited by arighna.dutta : 29th May 2017 at 01:01. Reason: Correction
Old 29th May 2017, 06:24   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
Bad timing for Tigor, facelifted Dzire will definitely have a negative impact even if it costs more.
I think if Tata looks for a good time, then I feel it will not come at all. I think Tata should simply sort out the availability of the car. That would help them in a more positive way. There is no point in waiting to see what Maruti does simply because no matter what they sell, people will buy it. Ofcourse I am talking about mass market and not the premium folks.
arunramaswamy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 17:37   #765
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
If ever I was approached by TBHP moderators to lend my car for official review, I would have thought twice and hesitated to take the leap inpsite of being an ardent lover of this forum
Rest assured, we'd guard it more fiercely than our own cars .

Quote:
If this gentleman is not a TBHP member, then the first thing we should do is to offer him an "honorary TBHP membership"
Already did and he's onboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Which engine it is, a diesel or petrol you will be reviewing?
We needed to put more driving time & take pictures of the petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uthra View Post
Being in Delhi, couldn't offer it for team-bhp review
We'd have been more than happy to fly down . Always a next time.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed