Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2017, 11:48   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs

Some notable shots from Day 2 of the Media Drive, courtesy Twitterati.

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-c7frj4nu8ae020e.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-c7fr23tuwaaejdz.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-c7fo_cfx4aezlnv.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-c7gp7abvsaaib0p.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-c7gqasiv4aeva3z.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-c7feamwwwaayqgr.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-c7fqkxvoaasw8d.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-c7gqkwxxwaadqas.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-c7gjzmuvsaai3p3.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-c7ges36vwaahgzd.jpg

Auto X
Overdrive
Zigwheels
Tata Motors
RavenAvi is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 11:58   #467
BHPian

While the car looks good for its segment, a bit more width would have made it look great. At least a wider rear glass would have enhanced the stance.

I have cropped one of the pics shared by Ravenavi, where the wide angle lens has created some distortion in the corners elongating the car's width, to iterate my view.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-wide-2.jpg  

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-wide-1.jpg  

dheepak10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 12:11   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
While the car looks good for its segment, a bit more width would have made it look great.
You've Nexon for that!
Old 17th March 2017, 12:23   #469
BHPian

Can anyone please shed some light on which model gets the ordinary alloys? Petrol or diesel?
Old 17th March 2017, 14:25   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
Can anyone please shed some light on which model gets the ordinary alloys? Petrol or diesel?
Petrol gets Diamond Cut alloys (15-inch) whereas Diesel will feature normal 14-inch alloy wheels.
carbhaari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 15:30   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Build looks patchy somehow - hard - rough - greyish plastics, some rough edges here and there. And somehow, i now find the Zest more proportionate when looking at the rear 3 quarters.
Judging perceived quality just from Pics

I hope people to reserve their comments, till physically sitting inside and experiencing quality themselves.

Felt lining in the entire boot for a entry level sedan is commendable.
Sudeep_Kimster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 15:58   #472
BHPian

Wow!! That's a beautiful looking car. Tata you've done a brilliant job, not just with the design.

Form and function beautifully integrated, those pneumatic struts, the hook on the center console, that spacious sofa, the nice long high mounted stop lamp and sound deadening on the boot. The boot looks deep but the width of the opening has to be seen in person. Should make a nice city car.

I hope Tata offers some cool accessories like it did for the GenX Nano. A Grey/White Tigor should look awesome with those blacked out headlights and roof. The alloys are a bit loud, the only sour point for me. But otherwise this car should easily fly out of showrooms if its priced well at launch and they offer an AMT soon.

EDIT: I see some good inspiration. Not saying they copied, but chose some good inspiration for the 'STYLEBACK'

Even the rear quarter glass design is spot on between the Tigor and the X6. Just noticed that the side character line is also similar, passing through the door handles and merging with the tail-lamp (X6 and Tigor).

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-resemblance.png

Last edited by Shanksta : 17th March 2017 at 16:19.
Shanksta is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 16:01   #473
Senior - BHPian

Can someone point me out Tigor's official website? Couldn't find it via Google and I just want to check all the colors available.
Old 17th March 2017, 16:34   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Can someone point me out Tigor's official website? Couldn't find it via Google and I just want to check all the colors available.
The website is not yet official since the product is not launched yet. You may have to wait for sometime. We had some snapshots from the development site, but, there's hardly much data in there as of now.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 16:40   #475
BHPian

Prima facie, overall car looks great. But will have to see how it performs in so called styleback avatar!
Engine power & torque are not awe inspiring to say the least
Old 17th March 2017, 17:54   #476
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

So the petrol comes with a 175/60 R15 profile alloy wheels while the diesel comes with 175/65 R14 profile. What's wrong with TATA!! Why do they need to complicate such simple things?!
I believe there is a solid technical reason behind this.

The Tigor is built on Tata's X0 platform. This is known to be quite a "front heavy" platform.

The Indica (first car built on the X0 platform) was known to suffer from bent rims at an alarming rate. Just ask anyone who has owned an Indica for any long period of time.

Bent rims were tolerable when tube-type tyres were the norm. Tata themselves were forced to change the Indica's stock 13" size of 165/65 R13 to 155/80 R13 when they shifted from tube-type tyres to tubeless ones.

Although the Tigor must have been built on a modified X0 platform with an improved suspension, the "front heavy" nature of the platform would have still made its presence felt. I believe Tigor would not be able to take too low profile a tyre without causing damage to the rims.

The petrol Tigor (1062 kg) is a fair bit lighter than its diesel sibling (1130 kg). All that additional weight of the diesel would be concentrated on the front on an already "front heavy" platform.

I guess Tata had no choice but to use tyres with a good sidewall height on at least the diesel Tigor.

Why they did not offer the same size of 175/65 R14 on the petrol too is a question that only they can answer (of course, the lighter petrol would indeed be able to tolerate lower profile tyres without damaging the rims). Further improving the petrol's aesthetic appeal, maybe?
  • Sidewall height of 175/65 R14 = 113.75 mm
  • Sidewall height of 175/60 R15 = 105 mm

Multiply the above by two to get the overall sidewall contribution of each tyre size. The diesel Tigor has an additional 17.5 mm of "rubber cushioning effect" over its petrol sibling.

Last edited by RSR : 17th March 2017 at 18:23.
RSR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 18:45   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Build looks patchy somehow - hard - rough - greyish plastics, some rough edges here and there. And somehow, i now find the Zest more proportionate when looking at the rear 3 quarters. Also, i wish the front was more edgier with squarish lines rather than the curvy & beaky design? The low front lip and high boot lid somehow make the cars look disproportionate from the side. But given how high the boot lid is, does the Tigor promise same / more boot space than Zest?

But boy those rear seats look comfy!! I hope in reality, they do feel like the place to sink in the car.
Did you get a chance to check out the car yourself? Just curious.

If you are judging the quality by solely by looking at some initial pictures, then please lets wait for some reviews and first hand experiences before we decide on the quality.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 20:35   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I believe there is a solid technical reason behind this.

The Tigor is built on Tata's X0 platform. This is known to be quite a "front heavy" platform.

The Indica (first car built on the X0 platform) was known to suffer from bent rims at an alarming rate. Just ask anyone who has owned an Indica for any long period of time.
Yes, Tigor is based in Tata's X0 Platfrom just like Indica & Tiago.

The Bent rims were a big problem in Indica, which was rectified later in Indica V2. My father had bought one (Indica DLE in Maroon Color) in 1998 just after launch. He had to send it to Tata ASS every 2 months.

The owner of the Dealership who is a close friend of my father once said,

"Don't Worry my friend, just send the car to workshop when you face this niggle, I'll get it replaced immediately. Please don't tell this problem to others (Obviously to prevent low sales) . This problem will be rectified soon in new Indica called V2"

I have lost count of how many times the rims were replaced. After 3 years of hardship, the car was sold & replaced by 2001 Indica V2 DLS in Olive Color. This new one didn't have any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Did you get a chance to check out the car yourself? Just curious.

If you are judging the quality by solely by looking at some initial pictures, then please lets wait for some reviews and first hand experiences before we decide on the quality.
Nilesh is actually right, the Plastics on Tigor are same as Tiago. The texture is nice & refreshing for a Tata, but the plastics are hard. So, I don't expect them to be any different from one's seen in pictures.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 21:32   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Must have been only the Early ones. Our Indica was an August 2000 version, and NEVER had this problem over the 84k that it was with us.
Old 17th March 2017, 22:04   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Nilesh is actually right, the Plastics on Tigor are same as Tiago. The texture is nice & refreshing for a Tata, but the plastics are hard. So, I don't expect them to be any different from one's seen in pictures.
That's fair!

On a side note, I do not think though that we should be expecting 'soft' touch 'luxurious' plastics in this price category though.

In this segment, my personal expectation is that plastics should look smart, have good texture, remain rattle free, and should be hard wearing (resistant to scratches, dis-coloring and flexing). A bit too much to ask!
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed