Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2014, 22:03   #61
BHPian

Re: November 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I don't know why people here are complaining about Nissan/Renault/Datsun.

Surely folks realise that their combined sales are increasing on an YoY basis or steady around 5K units and hopefully with other vehicle launches grow by a couple of thousand units. I remember seeing an interview where Carlos Ghosn(CEO) commented that he would much rather see badge engineered vehicles selling 4K units rather than one brand selling 3K units. Anything which makes volumes grow is good business sense. Every cross badged vehicle brings them more money over the original one.

Now we can argue whether this is a good strategy in the long term or not, but as far as they are concerned, with all the exports and decent selling in the indian market, its must be making business sense for them to do it.

I guess its the same story with Skoda/Volkswagen/Audi.

It is a different issue that individual brands are not being able to maintain their strong profile throughout and faltering.

Lastly, only few carmakers in India are currently profitable and the above 2 groups I mentioned form a part of it while someone like Toyota/Honda are still running into losses although their volumes have increased.

Every company lives to earn profits, some like Tesla create legacy.
Anand2712 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 01:10   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by us.dash View Post
Excellent post! Thank you.

I was interested in the break-up of Amaze sales in terms of diesel and petrol. Also Amaze offers an automatic too. what would be the sales number there?

Could anyone help or guide me to the numbers?

Thanks
Agree fully....need more details like taxi/individual, petrol/diesel, variants including automatic. Hope car manufacturers and SIAM etc provide those details!
Old 18th December 2014, 10:52   #63
BHPian

The numbers of Bolero continues to astonish one and all! It is hard to find a product in Utility segment which have ruled so dominantly. Had there been Toyota Qualis around, it would have been interesting to see the battle among two known for their ruggedness, durability and drive ability in India's hinterland.

Honda City numbers clocking around 45-50% of market share even now shows the brand pull of Honda in the segment which it ruled for more than a decade and half with only one armour in its kit!

Ford Ecosport numbers could have been similar like City, had they addressed waiting period by focusing on domestic sales, and continued with their VFM USP with minimal price hikes.

Hyundai Elite i20 sales are now creating premium+ hatchback segment like what Swift did when it was launched. Elite shows that customers can be pulled towards a product it if it is designed, branded, equipped and marketed well. Honda Jazz should be bring in soon to take out some numbers from the sale in this segment with India's per capita and disposable income seeing a rise.

Skoda leaves less to talk about with its footprint more than a decade in India and brand many desires still lingering around with dismal sale numbers.

GM and others must look towards Japanese manufacturers offerings and learn as they have garnered 62% of the Indian market share, though major contribution by MSIL. Hopefully they can learn from McDonald also, which revived itself with local strategy for India by bringing products exclusively for India and rest is history.
utsav1303 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 12:03   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvt77 View Post
Agree fully....need more details like taxi/individual, petrol/diesel, variants including automatic. Hope car manufacturers and SIAM etc provide those details!
Amaze diesel to petrol ratio is about 55%:45% this year. I am not sure if Manufacturer / SIAM provide details on Transmission / Variant wise sale.
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[i][center][b]

Maruti climbs back into the 6-figure zone (by merely 19 units!), something it didn't manage last month nor in Nov' 13.

An awful month for Mahindra - it sees some corrections after stuffing the pipeline in October for the festive season. It's the same story with the Scorpio & XUV500. I'm eager to watch the much improved 2014 Scorpio's run over the coming quarters. The XUV500's 2K is lacklustre. Another month or two of data should give us a clearer picture, but the XUV500 needs some kind of updates now...it's been 3+ years since launch. A 15 lakh car needs to remain 'fresh', and there's no sign of the automatic either (premium customers love their Diesel ATs).
@GTO . Great Stuff Buddy .
I enjoyed your analysis and comments. To me Maruti is strategic and is discontinuing / rolling products appropriately. A true sign of "Kaizen" . Love and still holding on to my Sx4.

Mahindra needs to do more. I added Mahindra Scorpio in my mechanical stable but was expecting more from them. Would have loved to see XUV in more manly look and automatic. Would have loved to see Scorpio in Automatic and also supply chain of 4wd similar to 2wd. They need to understand customers better.
Old 24th December 2014, 15:37   #66
BANNED

Quote:
After witnessing the worst ever sales of the last decade in 2013, this year was really a challenge for all the carmakers in India. In fact, the first half of 2014 too didn't bring any good news; but as soon as the second half began, things started changing and car sales started growing. That said, the overall car sales in the year has not been that great, but it showed the signs of revival.

Top 10 selling cars
  1. Maruti Suzuki Alto - 242248 units
  2. Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire - 193680 units
  3. Maruti Suzuki Swift - 185421 units
  4. Maruti Suzuki WagonR - 146931 units
  5. Hyundai Grand i10 - 95539 units
  6. Mahindra Bolero - 92297 units
  7. Hyundai Eon - 74349 units
  8. Honda City - 71308 units
  9. Maruti Suzuki Omni - 68246 units
  10. Maruti Suzuki Celerio - 62765 units
Key Observations

- The last year's top-selling car, Maruti Suzuki Alto, continued to rule the market this year as well. The company sold a total of 242248 units which is about 23% more than the second most selling car in India.

- Despite having some really capable competitors like Honda Amaze, Hyundai Xcent and Tata Zest in the entry-level sedan segment, Maruti Swift Dzire continued to dominate the space. In fact, the Dzire has been the only sub-compact sedan in the top-10 selling cars of the year. Selling a total of 1,93,680 units in last 11 months.

- India's most loved premium hatchback, the Maruti Suzuki Swift, kept the attendants busy at all MSI dealerships across the nation. The Swift, till November, sold over 1.85 lakh units, which makes it the third best-selling car of the year.

- The budget hatchback segment that currently is the largest contributor in the overall car sales, has three Maruti Suzuki cars - Alto, WagonR and Celerio. Hyundai Eon is the only non-Maruti vehicle to have been able to do good. Hyundai Eon at 74349 units is the 7th largest selling car in the market.

- Despite being a 13 year old vehicle, Mahindra Bolero is still among the hot favourites in semi-urban and rural markets of India.

SOURCE: http://auto.ndtv.com/news/top-10-car...es-2014-717162

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 10:06   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[
Chevrolet? Things are looking as directionless as they've always been. They're sleeping at the wheel! Of SEVEN cars in the sub-10 lakh segments, merely two sell over a 1,000...and only just. The Americans have lost a third of sales compared to Nov' 13, which were dismal to begin with. Just like we commented on the Santro, the Spark also appears to be on its way out as production levels are shrinking. Cruze - a favourite with many BHPians - falls hard & sees its poorest numbers in history. The company is keeping itself busy with mysterious engine changes when the customer hasn't even asked for one : related thread..
Trident have just wound up the Chevrolet dealership in the Bangalore city centre. Judging by the frequency of the sales folks tio visit the chai stall next to me house, I don't think many punters were exactly falling into their showroom
Old 1st January 2015, 14:38   #68
BHPian

Maruti has reported 20.8% increase of sales in December 14 (TOI)

Total Sales - 1,09,791 units
Domestic - 98,109 units (13% increase)
Export - 11,682 units (almost 3 times increase)

The surprise is it sold only 3,731 unit of Ciaz.

Link to the news:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/45714721.cms

Last edited by AshBabu : 1st January 2015 at 14:40.
Old 1st January 2015, 16:36   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshBabu View Post

The surprise is it sold only 3,731 unit of Ciaz.
IMO, 3.5 - 4.5K per month is what I expect the Ciaz sales to settle at on average. Unless there is a powerful engine in it nothing great will be happening on the sales figure front.

Anurag.
Old 1st January 2015, 17:19   #70
i10
BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai Motor India Ltd (HMIL) today reported 21 per cent jump in total sales at 59,365 units in December 2014.
The company had sold 49,078 units in the same month last year, it said in a statement.
In the domestic market, Hyundai sold 32,504 units last month as compared to 28,345 units in December 2013, up 14.7 per cent.
During the month, Hyundai’s exports increased 29.6 per cent to 26,861 units as against 20,733 units in the same period last year.
“In the challenging market conditions of CY 2014 Hyundai did all time record high sales of 4.11 lakh units with all time high projected market share of 21.8 per cent in passenger cars,” HMIL Senior Vice President (Sales and Marketing) Rakesh Srivastava said.
http://www.financialexpress.com/arti...5-units/25104/
Closed Thread

Most Viewed