Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2014, 11:07   #1
Team-BHP Support

Volvo V40 Hatchback in India - Now launched

Swedish carmaker Volvo is rumoured to be considering the V40 hatchback for the Indian market. If media reports are anything to go by, the car could be launched in the country by April 2015.

The V40 hatchback is essentially the same car as the V40 Cross Country, which is already on sale in the country, but without some of the cosmetic features that gives it a rugged look. It does not get the roof rails, body cladding and skid plates that we see on the Cross Country. Its bumpers are different, wheels are smaller and the car looks more like a conventional hatchback than a crossover. Additionally, it gets LED daytime running lights at the front.

On the inside too, the V40 hatchback gets fewer features than the Cross Country. However, it comes with a split rear seat that can be folded down to accommodate more luggage.

The V40 hatchback is likely to be launched as a D3 with front-wheel drive and a 2.0-litre, 5-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine that puts out 150 bhp and 350 Nm of torque. The more affordable D2 version with a smaller and less powerful engine might also be considered.

The V40 will be pitted against the Mercedes A-Class and BMW 1-Series. It is expected to be priced lower than the V40 Cross Country.

Source: Zigwheels

Volvo V40 Hatchback in India - Now launched-v40.jpg

Volvo V40 Hatchback in India - Now launched-v40c.jpg

Volvo V40 Hatchback in India - Now launched-v40b.jpg
Aditya is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 11:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Volvo V40 Hatchback in India - Now launched

I do not see any reason why an accomplished player like Volvo should start becoming part of rat race i.e. being followed among the three German giants.

Jaguar and Volvo are operating in India as Niche players with cult following. Those who want these brands will stick to them come what may and may not drift to any of the German manufacturers.

Cheers
Old 15th December 2014, 12:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

I've seen the V40 Cross Country quite often in Gurgaon and absolutely love it for its looks.

However, its going to be rarest of the rare car one would spot on the road. Volvo simply doesn't have that big a following in India. More so, when people here are fascinated by the german trio and Merc's A-class is one heck of a beauty!
fine69 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 13:18   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo's biggest problem is the tax structure. With CBU imports, you effectively kill your product even before launch. Eagerly awaiting the pricing for this one. Volvo has more or less been able to maintain the price tag of 28L ex showroom for the V40 crossover since its launch.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 07:31   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Is there any mention of the likely pricing?
What a nice car this is!

I wish us guys would wake up to the great quality, features and safety that Volvo offers along with its typical quirkiness.

Personally I hate to be a part of the run of the mill - vastly prefer making my own way and standing out from the typical "herd".
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 13:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I wish us guys would wake up to the great quality, features and safety that Volvo offers along with its typical quirkiness.
If you have seen this car in flesh then you'd know that there is nothing quirky about the rear. The fat rubber that it comes with makes the rear (including those tail lights) stylish and so appealing, but then it could be just me for I love this small (hot) car.

And I'm of the same opinion as yours that Volvo offers superb quality and its safety standards are benchmark in the industry. When I see a S60 or cross country hatchback on the road, I want to give the owner a thumbs-up for their excellent choice in cars.
Old 31st December 2014, 23:15   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Removing the add-ons of the Cross Country variant actually makes this already good looking car even more attractive. I have examined this car several times at the Volvo showroom and have always come away feeling that the black strips at the bottom detract from its looks. Happy to see this change. Wouldn't mind checking it out.
Old 1st January 2015, 11:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Personally I hate to be a part of the run of the mill - vastly prefer making my own way and standing out from the typical "herd".
Well, while I am sure everyone likes to stand out from the typical crowd. Most important thing is that a car should run on the roads when we want it to and not spend time around workshops waiting for parts to arrive. It is here where majority would feel it is better to be with the herd than be lonely man out waiting for parts and inviting scorn with , **heh this is what you deserve for trying to be different ehh**.

This is the only problem with Volvo cars in India. They can be a first by making parts available freely off the shelves OTC and go a one up on Merc and BMW/Jag. This is what they would be doing in developed markets.

I have seen Volvos sedans (S60?) parked in shopping malls getting jump started by Skoda Octavias for mysterious reasons. And a lot of niggling problems that owners face like waiting around for Instrument cluster issues to be repaired. It can be hassle-prone if dealer isn't sporting enough.
lurker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Well, while I am sure everyone likes to stand out from the typical crowd. Most important thing is that a car should run on the roads when we want it to and not spend time around workshops waiting for parts to arrive. It is here where majority would feel it is better to be with the herd than be lonely man out waiting for parts and inviting scorn with , **heh this is what you deserve for trying to be different ehh**.

This is the only problem with Volvo cars in India. They can be a first by making parts available freely off the shelves OTC and go a one up on Merc and BMW/Jag. This is what they would be doing in developed markets.

I have seen Volvos sedans (S60?) parked in shopping malls getting jump started by Skoda Octavias for mysterious reasons. And a lot of niggling problems that owners face like waiting around for Instrument cluster issues to be repaired. It can be hassle-prone if dealer isn't sporting enough.
Very well said. I really love their understated design and their safety systems. While in India it is still a premium brand, my constant worry is that service aspect. With a wafer-thin network, they either need to step up with a local player or build at least a robust network across the country. The cars are a treat to drive on the highway and their target buyer is not a local commuter.
Old 7th January 2015, 19:02   #10
BHPian

Drive on the road and this is definitely the one car that will turn people's heads. As mentioned pricing is its issue but I have heard it might come down a bit when this new model is launched.

Definitely on my list of a must have
Old 17th June 2015, 14:00   #11
BHPian

Exactly after two years of launching the V40 Cross Country, Volvo India has launched the V40 hatchback in our market. The V40 is essentially the same car but with a more sober looking design fit for the concrete jungles. Visually, it loses the scuff plates and the rugged body cladding. The front bumper gets similar LED DRLs and save for these the frontal design is quite understated. The mesh grille from the Cross Country is replaced with a more conventional three-slat grille and it wears the trim badging The rear is still the pretty angle for the V40 with the black border treatment for the windshield and the boot lid that wedges out. The Volvo V40 is being offered in two trims – Kinetic and R-Design and the latter comes with a panoramic sunroof and some additional body kit and accents.

Inside the familiar nose is the same engine as the Cross Country. So what you get is a 2.0L diesel producing 150PS and 350Nm of torque. With these figures, the V40 is the most powerful diesel hatchback in its segment. The engine drives a front wheel drive configuration through a six speed manual transmission.

Safety is always top priority for Volvo and the V40 gets eight airbags as standard fitment. Also onboard is a side impact, whiplash and driver-knee protection systems. It also comes with the City Safety tech which arms itself at below 50kmph and provides automated braking system. A segment first is the pedestrian airbag system which reduces impact to the pedestrian in case of a frontal collision by raising the bonnet and deploying an airbag over the windshield.

Creature comforts include a parking assist system and comes ready for an optional rear view camera. The V40 also gets the adaptive TFT instrumentation which changes colours as per the driving mode. The car comes with mood lighting as well, which is a segment first. Also standard is leather upholstery.

The natural rivals for the V40 hatchback are the BMW 1 Series and the Mercedes-Benz A-Class and B-Class. The D3 Kinetic and D3 R-Design trims are priced at ₹ 24.75 lakh and ₹ 27.7 lakh respectively. A petrol variant could be launched at a later stage, but there are no concrete plans yet, says Volvo India.

The Volvo V40 is being imported from Ghent in Belgium, via the CBU route and despite that, the pricing remains competitive, a positive move by Volvo India.

Source: Overdrive.in

Note: Mods please feel free to delete the post if I've uploaded the information/photo in an incorrect manner.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo V40 Hatchback in India - Now launched-volvov40.jpg  

Last edited by ajmat : 17th June 2015 at 22:55. Reason: Ghent, not Kent
Aston Singh is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 14:33   #12
BHPian

Just a small correction: its a 6 speed automatic box and not a manual transmission.

Brilliant and a very tempting pricing and as usual, top safety kit. Another big advantage of Volvo: lower insurance premiums. Sincerely hope this is a successful product for Volvo India.

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 15:39   #13
BHPian

Volvo Launches V 40 Hatch

Volvo has launched the V40 hatchback, the V40 Cross Country's sibling,
making it one of the most powerful hatches on Indian roads

Source:IBNlive
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/auto/vol...a-1007563.html
Old 17th June 2015, 21:27   #14
BHPian

Its an excellent product at an excellent price, especially considering its a CBU. Volvo is really striving to excel in India by pricing their products so well.

I wonder if they start assembling in India, how much the prices will fall. While companies like Mercedes don't change prices too much when switching from CBU to CKD, I have a feeling that when Volvo starts to assemble, it will cut down prices even further. With so many new products in the working, Volvo might even give stiff competition to the three German giants in the future.
Old 17th June 2015, 22:03   #15
BHPian

I am unable to understand why Volvo is not tweaking its excellent cars to Indian road conditions? Volvo V40 cross country GC at 145mm which now reduced to 136mm for V40. How to drive the most VFM entry-level hatchback from Volvo on Indian roads?
superbhikari is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks