Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2014, 11:26   #1
Team-BHP Support

Rumour: Chevrolet silently recalls Beat over fuel pipe issue

Media reports suggest that General Motors has recalled the Chevrolet Beat over a fuel pipe issue. Beat petrol hatchbacks manufactured before July 31, 2010 could have accumulation of electronic discharge in the nonconductive fuel pipe.

The company has written letters to owners of the affected cars to have their cars checked. Additionally, dealerships have been asked to contact the owners and schedule appointments and carry out these checks. In case a problem is detected, the necessary repairs or replacement of parts will be carried out at no cost to the customer. The repairs are expected to take a couple of hours.

Customers can call General Motors service at 1800-3000-8080 or contact the company through email at gmi.cac@gm.com.

Rumour: Chevrolet silently recalls Beat over fuel pipe issue-chevrolet-beat.jpg

Source: Motorbeam
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Chevrolet silently recalls Beat over fuel pipe issue

Although I am totally in support of recalls, I get a feeling that its high time that GM got serious about quality control not only at the factory, but also from the parts suppliers. First the sail twins, then the strange replacement of engines on Enjoy and now this! Coming from a GM obsessed family, my dad being the first customer in Goa to get his hands on the then new blue Opel Corsa 1.6 GLS (Pakistani cricketer Waqar Younis's Coca Cola cup 2000 man of the series fame) to being the first customer in Goa of the Chevrolet Aveo 1.6 LT in Amber metallic colour, my dad is always going to look at GM products. Now though, the tables havd turned and my dad is having a second thought on getting his next car. He had a lot of interest in the Captiva 2.2, but not anymore, especially after a couple of Captivas caught fire. Come on GM. Get your acts together or you're going to lose a lot of loyal customers.

Last edited by aveoman19 : 22nd December 2014 at 12:52. Reason: typo error
aveoman19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 15:10   #3
BHPian

Have they not set up a portal where the VIN number can be input and checked if the car is eligible?

And what is the meaning of "electronic discharge"? Can someone elucidate this?
Old 22nd December 2014, 16:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Mine already underwent the recall at last service.

Details here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3581628

Yes, GMI should take care these recalls bit customer friendly.

Really commendable the way Ford handled their recent Ecosport recall. Details here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3604672

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 18:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

So the Beat joins the remaining Chevys in the silent recall list. Is Spark the only model in their lineup without a recall in recent times?

GM is seriously losing consumer confidence here with so many recalls and the lack of transparency associated with each recall. These are the recalls we know of. Are there any others that we missed to notice? Who knows!

Their reluctance to announce these recalls openly can only be interpreted in a single way - they don't think number of recalls or the seriousness of the issues are going to be small and hence it is better for their image if their customers know about only the recalls that impact them so that the existing customers won't lose confidence in the brand if they come to know that the faulty parts are the norm rather than the exception!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
First the sail twins, then the strange replacement of engines on Enjoy and now this!
He had a lot of interest in the Captiva 2.2, but not anymore, especially after a couple of Captivas caught fire.
You missed the emission norms fiasco for Tavera and the silent recall for pvc bracket in the engine bay of Cruze in that list.

That sums up their existing portfolio I guess.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 19:00   #6
BHPian

This isn't a rumour anymore. I recieved the recall letter from Chevrolet last week.

Rumour: Chevrolet silently recalls Beat over fuel pipe issue-chevy.jpg
amitwiz1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 23:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
... strange replacement of engines on Enjoy...
Has there been many cases of the same?
Old 25th December 2014, 07:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
Has there been many cases of the same?
Here is the link to the thread. It seems there were 3 replacements already at the same dealership in Trivandrum.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ew-engine.html
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 14:28   #9
BHPian

I have some serious problems now. The dealer I purchased the car from is closed in Bangalore. Should I contact the company directly or go thru a A.S.S?
Old 25th December 2014, 14:44   #10
BHPian

Hi everybody.
I too got the letter that Amitwiz has posted in his post no 6.
But before I received the letter,( I had read about the problem here on TBHP), I had called the manager at A.S.S/dealer and after checking with the company he changed the fuel pipe. Free pickup/drop no charges whatsoever.
I am happy that nearly 5 years later they have written about the issue. They could have just swept it under the carpet and nobody would have been wiser.
Regards
Old 25th December 2014, 17:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
I have some serious problems now. The dealer I purchased the car from is closed in Bangalore. Should I contact the company directly or go thru a A.S.S?
Go to any A.S.S. They should be able to confirm with the company and do the needful.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:52   #12
BHPian

Guys,
I just contacted Deedi automobiles, the Authorized service center for Chevrolet in Trivandrum and was told by the Service Adviser that the part is out of stock and will arrive by Wednesday..the car is anyway due for its periodic service at 30k.

I am keeping my fingers crossed. will keep you posted regarding their followup action past this Wednesday the 7th of Jan 2015.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks