Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2015, 16:08   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I hope my question is not repetitive, I have seen auto websites posting long term ownership review. I want to understand if car companies loan them vehicles for a considerably long period so that they can 'live' with it and experience better under real world conditions.
The answer to your question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Smaller yet Significant Things

• Manufacturers frequently offer long-termers to us...say, a new car to drive for a year or so. We politely refuse; don't need them because we have real-world ownership reports from BHPians.
VeluM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 08:14   #197
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I want to understand if car companies loan them vehicles for a considerably long period so that they can 'live' with it and experience better under real world conditions.
It's really not about experiencing the car under real world conditions. The benefits of long-term test drives are:

1. It's a gift to the journalist. Keeps you in his 'good books'.

2. A long-term test-drive ensures you coverage every 2 months in that media.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 09:24   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's really not about experiencing the car under real world conditions. The benefits of long-term test drives are...
Saw a very timely article on this today.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...eviewers-cars/
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 16:24   #199
Team-BHP Support

Re: Man finds out that his BMW M3 was used in Top Gear stunts!

I have been reading a book "On that bombshell" by Richard Porter about the Top Gear going on's. He was the scriptwriter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Also, the media fleet doesn't usually have one car. There are multiple cars for most models and new vehicles are also made media test cars depending on the need. And it is the company which sells such cars off. The dealers aren't involved in most cases.
Like GTO said, one should stay a thousand miles away from buying a media test vehicle. In 5000 kilometres, the components would have seen what they wouldn't in multiple times that figure.
Basically, if a manufacturer car ...run however some manufacturers are pretty strict

Remember an old Top Gear episode where they drive a Jaguar XK-R on a beach through sea water. It looked cool, even Jaguar thought so. However, Jaguar thought that the XKR was so saltwater laden, they crushed the car as it will be problematic to subsequent owners. Jaguar felt it was worth it for the publicity from the screen runs.

As for the Bentley Continental that James May rallied in. It is now used as an engineering hack for testing sub components. (Bentley were really peeved about Clarkson popping the tyres of an Arnage that they never lent cars to TG until the rally special.

Quote:
With 100 individuals driving your car, manufacturers have come to accept that 1 or 2 will be damaged. It's the 'cost of doing business'. At media drives, there is always a spare car or two. This helps if another one is put out of service.

Some journos think that redlining a car and cornering / braking the heck out of it is the only way to test a car. .
The other problem with lending cars to Top Gear was. Magazines get their pics in 3-4 shots of a car cornering hard etc. TG take 10-15 takes to get the drifting right or the spinning etc. The cars will be frazzled by then. In some cases, the Stig would be using a different car for the lap timings

Quote:
a4anurag

I don't see any value in this.

- Out of 30 media cars, we would post a picture of one VIN. No point.

- The odds of a potential customer of that particular car (whenever it is on sale) reading our thread is less than 0.01%.
FYI - Navnit Bangalore have a number of demonstrators for sale as advertised a few days back. Avoid the X3's and X5's which have done duty on the dirt track circuit for at least 10 sessions of 12 laps each. The 320 d would have been used for doing doughnuts in order to demonstrate ESP
ajmat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 18:13   #200
BANNED

Fabulous GTO! This is one reason why I've weaned off all other automotive publications since becoming a member - I see no dilution in the enthusiasm and dedication to the job at hand! Keep the steam up! Just T-BHP - nothing else will do!
shashanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 23:31   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's really not about experiencing the car under real world conditions. The benefits of long-term test drives are:

1. It's a gift to the journalist. Keeps you in his 'good books'.

2. A long-term test-drive ensures you coverage every 2 months in that media.
I understand your hesitation but do consider taking them up on this. You don't need to cover it every two months or so. You can write about them as much or as little as you wish and if you hate a car, tell it like it is!

Let's put it this way, there are plenty of members who test drive new cars and post about it. But the official reviews are still far more detailed and useful. The same principle could extend to long term ownership.

My two cents, though I completely understand if you guys choose to stick to the status quo.
Old 3rd January 2016, 09:22   #202
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
but do consider taking them up on this.
We already have long-term reviews from actual owners of the car . And thousands of them! I'm currently long-term reviewing my Jeep, Sunny & 530d .
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 11:45   #203
Team-BHP Support

I was asked by a fellow journalist

"Why dont you have long term test cars?"

My reply

"Our members give the best long term reviews and the actual experience, the long term test cars are known and you will never experience reality"
ajmat is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 13:02   #204
Senior - BHPian

Wow. Seeing how much work goes into a review, I'm sure a lazy person like me would have been of no help to the team had I been there for the Celerio review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayhonda View Post
As you know I stay in Goa. Next time if possible do invite me for any such reviews/drives in Goa.
I too missed the opportunity to meet the team when they came over to review the Celerio.

Quote:
Don't know the name of the place, but it took us about 30 minutes driving further South from Fipleys.
Just an update. In case anyone is looking for Fipleys (Fiplees) you won't find it. It's now known as Zoya. In case you have difficulty finding it, ask for Maria Hall.
I'm guessing you following route. Benaulim (Fiplees is located here)-Varca-Orlim-Carmona-Cavelossim. Then cross the river Sal via the bridge or ferry into Chinchinim-Assolna-Velim-Betul-Cabo De Rama.

Quote:
Vid6639 & Suhaas found it! Here you go - Google Maps Link .
Other the above you can also reach this place from the highway (Panvel-Edapally) at Chinchinim and then follow the same or from the Southern side at Canacona (if arriving from Karwar).

BTW Cabo De Rama means Cape of Ram. It's the place Lord Ram visited on his way to Sri Lanka.

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 3rd January 2016 at 13:04.
pedrolourenco is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 13:15   #205
BHPian

This is just wow stuff! I stumbled upon this thread pretty late, don't know how I missed it when you wrote this. Kudos! One hell of a thread. Was glued till the end of it. This is the reason I love Team-BHP. Every once in a while, we get these "bonus" threads. The Indian enthusiast gets into knowing even the minutest detail. Thanks a lot for the unadulterated stuff you put up. My idea about media drives changed drastically after reading this.

This thread can also be used by moderators to pen down experiences which are worth sharing with the forum but will be off-topic in the review thread.

Here's wishing more of the superb Team-BHP reviews and stuff like these.

Cheers,
Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 15:03   #206
BHPian

Holy cow. a wonderful thread that i happened to stumble upon just now inadvertantly.
Hats off to the mods and reviewers of this group. So much goes into a car review was never know. Since am getting into an ECU meeting tomorrow, am sure going to bring this thread up with those auto engineers to help them understand how their product is being reviewed . (as an ECU is needed for every engine).
Every once in a while, get taken back in time to read a gem of a write up. Thanks TBHP folks... once again!
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 17:06   #207
BHPian

A great insightful thread and I happen to trip on it only today!
Hats off to the moderators and they only inspire me and each one of us to be as immaculate and detailed as you all.

On a separate note, I have always thought why we do not have official comparisons on Team BHP?
I understand it would be difficult to arrange and each can go through the detailed reviews to identify their perfect car, but I think it is an area worth exploring if already not on the radar.
vickyP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 18:45   #208
Senior - BHPian

Passion. Nothing else can drive individuals to such level of excellence.
Will love to read up any funny/interesting incidents or trivia you guys have got to share regarding the review process.
download2live is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 20:57   #209
BHPian

A really informative thread...serves as an eye-opener as to what really goes on during these drives. From the looks of it, its real hard work requiring patience, eye for minute details, lots of enthusiasm and above all, passion for the job at hand. I, for one, am thankful to all the Mods here who do such wonderful work, giving us an insight on the qualities of a car and helping us decide the best choice without having even take test drives. T-BHP's review was instrumental in my choice of car...and I do say this with a certain amount of pride !

Do keep up the GOOD work.
TheStranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 13:16   #210
BHPian

How does the interaction work with the technical guys? I imagine they can't give out too much info. Also are they PR-friendly or the quiet genius types?

Most Viewed