This was around 2014 if I recollect.
Old 23rd April 2021, 22:10   #347
Team-BHP Support

Re: Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
This was around 2014 if I recollect.
Yes, I too. Maybe you are referring to this

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post3971684 (BMW M5 : Driven)

I attended the first M event in 2018 and the cars had run-in for sure so maybe they changed in later years. And Yes, BMW guys try to be very particular the way they keep their cars.

And here’s the mileage reading from the M5 that I missed posting before.
Attached Thumbnails
Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-a5a9609bbcb547d69f3737e3b39b9f3b.jpeg  

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-3786be39a34243b6b31446687d3cfeec.jpeg  

Turbanator is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 10:57   #348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Nope, it was this thread
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...-m6-buddh.html (Driven: BMW M3, M4 and M6 @ Buddh!)

Must correct myself, the cars had barely done 300km!
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 12:56   #349
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
....the test cars you or any other auto journalists get in India, are those run in before by the manufacturer? Or the reviewers just floor it?
Most of the cars given for review to all the media houses will be fresh off the line. The maximum I can think of would be sporting 250-300 kms on the odometer depending on where the drive location is planned for!

It is up to the journalists how they handle the cars once it's in their umbrella. We, enthusiasts, might easy initially till one gets a fair idea and do revv to the limit once in a while. Some YouTuber' revv the nuts from word go!

Feel bad for those cars but in a way it can be treated like some kind of 'endurance testing'. Not many are bothered in running-in etc and some cases, the journalists don't have that much possession time to go slow!

Last edited by a4anurag : 24th April 2021 at 12:59.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 11:52   #350
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
We, enthusiasts, might easy initially till one gets a fair idea and do revv to the limit once in a while.
I have sometimes got new cars with the kind of odometer we see at deliveries. That is, under 100 km. As someone who is extremely particular about running-in his own cars, it is painful to take a 100-km engine to its max revs. But after 30 minutes of doing that, the pleasure of redlining completely overshadows the pain of not running in
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 16:48   #351
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Jalopnik reminded me of this!

Many times with the press cars, we get both keys - the original and the duplicate tied together. Curious, I asked the PR team why. They said "we'd lose them otherwise! There is no system to keep a duplicate key with us".

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2021 at 19:26.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 17:34   #352
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's a great time to be a car guy! In just 2 weeks, I have driven 6 interesting cars (two are mine ), including the new Octavia, Alcazar, Kushaq & Land Rover Defender . Good way to end the lockdown and open the monsoon innings up.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 18:07   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In just 2 weeks, I have driven 6 interesting cars (two are mine ), including the new Octavia, Alcazar, Kushaq & Land Rover Defender . Good way to end the lockdown and open the monsoon innings up.
So, when are you putting up the Defender drive impressions?
The next best thing to never being able to own the Defender due to perennial shortage of Vitamin - M, is to read your reviews, which puts us in the driver's seat!
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 19:27   #354
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Must appreciate the attention-to-detail.

Because we review unregistered cars, we have to fill out a Form 19 with driver details, purpose of drive etc. Cops really harrow you if you don't have this while driving a red plate car. Now, with all our press drive cars, a loose single paper Form 19 is placed somewhere in the glovebox. Many times, there is no Form 19 provided with the car at all.
Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-20210807-10.40.56.jpg

Mercedes-Benz? A neatly organised booklet of Form 19s, with carbon paper & a duplicate copy. Unbelievable. Love the attention-to-detail
Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-20210807-10.41.07.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-20210807-10.41.32.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-20210807-10.41.52.jpg
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 08:03   #355
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Someone wrote to us recently about previewing an upcoming vehicle. With a note = no comments on build quality, no close up pictures of fit & finish (only full profile images) etc.

My response = thanks, but no thanks . Team-BHP will NEVER be told what to write, or what not to write. If the said vehicle is important and our access is blocked, we will buy or borrow it for our review, but we will NEVER EVER take guidelines on what goes (or doesn't) into our report.

A response soon followed = we will get full access to the said vehicle after a month.
GTO is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 08:28   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Someone wrote to us recently about previewing an upcoming vehicle. With a note = no comments on build quality, no close up pictures of fit & finish (only full profile images) etc.

My response = thanks, but no thanks . Team-BHP will NEVER be told what to write, or what not to write. If the said vehicle is important and our access is blocked, we will buy or borrow it for our review, but we will NEVER EVER take guidelines on what goes (or doesn't) into our report.

A response soon followed = we will get full access to the said vehicle after a month.
Is it an all new upcoming vehicle or the so called facelift. You should divulge little more details GTO

So they feel even if team BHP reviews the car after a month, the damage can be contained. What a confidence ! , both on their product quality and line of thought.

They can think about having a small sticker put up on the dash for the buyers too with the aforesaid instructions just like how we see those with 4*4 instructions or how to start AT, AMT etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Like I said above, I don’t think this is to alter the opinions but more about releasing previews of the vehicle when they’re not fully production ready or not confident on QC etc front. This is more glorified and free advertising and “staying in the news” exercise for the product over a prolonged period running up to actual launch and sale.
But this part in GTO's post indicate it's not a pre production vehicle.

Quote:
If the said vehicle is important and our access is blocked, we will buy or borrow it for our review, but we will NEVER EVER take guidelines on what goes (or doesn't) into our report.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 13th August 2021 at 08:47.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 08:29   #357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

My response = thanks, but no thanks
And that is perfectly fine! More than trying to alter reviews, car companies are jumping the gun and trying to create interest alive by multiple phases of dekkos to the vehicle in question. Case in point: Alcazar (also Kushaq I think).

The first Alcazar RJ preview could only be published with Hyundai’s images. Unfortunately big publishers feel they have no choice but to pander to such requests and still need to make the silly trip and also give it coverage. Along with half a dozen nincompoop influencers to boot! You can display the car in phases and can only report stipulated aspects of it.

I much prefer this. One solid review on our own terms at the right time.

Shumi has published his detailed review of the Trident 660 only NOW (like, literally this week). And its hands down one of the most ‘on point’ reviews of the bike I have seen despite it being perhaps one of the shortest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
So they feel even if team BHP reviews the car after a month, the damage can be contained. What a confidence ! , both on their product quality and line of thought.
Like I said above, I don’t think this is to alter the opinions but more about releasing previews of the vehicle when they’re not fully production ready or not confident on QC etc front. This is more glorified and free advertising and “staying in the news” exercise for the product over a prolonged period running up to actual launch and sale.

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th August 2021 at 08:33.
Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 21:50   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
... Like I said above, I don’t think this is to alter the opinions but more about releasing previews of the vehicle when they’re not fully production ready or not confident on QC etc front. This is more glorified and free advertising and “staying in the news” exercise for the product over a prolonged period running up to actual launch and sale.
What next! Launching cars on Kickstarter?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 22:22   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am going to take a left field guess at this. I wonder if it is Ola Electric.
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 16:55   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
I am going to take a left field guess at this. I wonder if it is Ola Electric.
My bet is that it's the market leader. If so it's shameless on their part to already be aware of the shortcomings and asking the media to hide it. If it's Ola electric, for it's scooter, then I can imagine how screwed up their first product into the market can be. Either way, let's see which other media house will override this suggestion and actually point out build quality issues.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks