Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2014, 18:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW India stops sale of M Performance Power Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
The manufacturer can cover his backside by stating 'for track use only'.
If's and else case. Track use could mean not suitable for public roads , else there should be a 'switchover' possible.

Quote:
On a related note, I've always wondered about the legality when manufacturers change the working parameters of the ECU as a field/ service item.
Can of worms, depends on what is being changed. The can is partly opened right at the time of homologation.

Prost
Spike
Old 30th December 2014, 18:50   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
GTO was right and it was just a business decision.
That's good news for people like you and others willing to import OEM performance kits. Still a hassle compared to local availability, but as long as it's not a homologation problem, you can have peace of mind post-install.

Another question since you had a chat with someone internal to BMW: Now that the kits have been discontinued in India, will BMW continue to provide warranty/service support for imported kits installed in Indian cars?
Old 2nd January 2015, 17:12   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
That's good news for people like you and others willing to import OEM performance kits. Still a hassle compared to local availability, but as long as it's not a homologation problem, you can have peace of mind post-install.

Another question since you had a chat with someone internal to BMW: Now that the kits have been discontinued in India, will BMW continue to provide warranty/service support for imported kits installed in Indian cars?
The kits already installed will have full service/support.

I'm going to dwelve into this topic after a month or 2 when I'm ready to buy. Will speak to them about the warranty. As far as I know since its a BMW part with a BMW part number I don't understand why the warranty should be affected even if I import. Its not like the earlier power kits were altered for Indian conditions.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 12:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will speak to them about the warranty. As far as I know since its a BMW part with a BMW part number I don't understand why the warranty should be affected even if I import. Its not like the earlier power kits were altered for Indian conditions.
The problem with BMW (and probably Merc/Audi as well) is that everything is locked/tied to the VIN. Even stupid things like floor mats/mud flaps are tied/linked to the VIN!!! If it is their policy not to allow imported parts to be fitted to Indian VINs, then even if you import, the dealer will not be able to update/code the new part to the car, which will result in problems. Then you will have to delve into BMW coding yourself which will again void the warranty in India. In US/Europe, etc. their consumer oriented laws don't allow them to do that.

Almost all modern high-end cars are computers on wheels running proprietary software.

Anyway as you are already into BMW coding I am sure you will manage. Hopefully in the future, I may have to take your help for that.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 3rd January 2015 at 12:33.
Old 3rd January 2015, 12:40   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
The problem with BMW (and probably Merc/Audi as well) is that everything is locked/tied to the VIN. Even stupid things like floor mats/mud flaps are tied/linked to the VIN!!! If it is their policy not to allow imported parts to be fitted to Indian VINs, then even if you import, the dealer will not be able to update/code the new part to the car, which will result in problems. Then you will have to delve into BMW coding yourself which will again void the warranty in India. In US/Europe, etc. their consumer oriented laws don't allow them to do that.

Almost all modern high-end cars are computers on wheels running proprietary software.

Anyway as you are already into BMW coding I am sure you will manage. Hopefully in the future, I may have to take your help for that.
That is true. But then again in a way it is good since you always get the perfect part for your car. Nowadays when cars of the same model have different parts for various variants and even the same variants with some different part manufacturers its better to have vin tied parts.

I managed very basic coding on the E90, that too not the proper way. Will put up a small instruction post today or tomorrow.

The powerkit coding definitely cannot be done by me. I'm speaking to people in Europe, and will also speak to BMW India again when I am ready to purchase.
Old 20th February 2015, 12:35   #21

Interestingly today I was offered the Power Performance Kit (ecu remap + new intercooler) as an option by a dealer who is willing to import this on an individual basis. Dealer has requested discretion so I can't share details publicly.
Old 20th February 2015, 13:16   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saju View Post
Interestingly today I was offered the Power Performance Kit (ecu remap + new intercooler) as an option by a dealer who is willing to import this on an individual basis. Dealer has requested discretion so I can't share details publicly.
Importing it is one thing, but what about installation? Apparently it needs some coding which is to be provided by BMW India. So how will they get that?
Old 20th February 2015, 13:22   #23

Does it make sense to change from 17" to 18" wheels after getting the M-Power upgrade? Apart from the improved looks, the 18" should help with traction from the extra torque available as well as improved handling. What do the gurus recommend?
Old 20th February 2015, 13:28   #24

Quote:
Importing it is one thing, but what about installation? Apparently it needs some coding which is to be provided by BMW India. So how will they get that?
I have an official quote which includes a line item for "Programming/Encoding Control Units"
Old 20th February 2015, 14:19   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does it make sense to change from 17" to 18" wheels after getting the M-Power upgrade? Apart from the improved looks, the 18" should help with traction from the extra torque available as well as improved handling. What do the gurus recommend?
The stock 225 section wheels will handle the power well enough. But if you do want full traction switching to 245 tyres is an option. Otherwise of course you can get 18s with 245 tyres, but the ride quality will go down a bit.

Quote:
I have an official quote which includes a line item for "Programming/Encoding Control Units"
Wow, that is news. So what is the total charge?
Old 20th February 2015, 15:39   #26

Quote:
The stock 225 section wheels will handle the power well enough. But if you do want full traction switching to 245 tyres is an option. Otherwise of course you can get 18s with 245 tyres, but the ride quality will go down a bit.
Ride quality be damned I say - I will probably upgrade to 18s after I spend sometime on the stock wheels

Quote:
Wow, that is news. So what is the total charge?
Would you mind PM'ing me? I am a "newbie" can't PM you.
Old 20th February 2015, 21:32   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ride quality be damned I say - I will probably upgrade to 18s after I spend sometime on the stock wheels
On which model do you intend to use 18 inch , 530 D has standard mixed 18 inches and ride quality is pretty much same as it used to be on my older 530 running on 17 inches . By my experience if profile is more than 40 there should not be much difference in ride quality in case of upsizing

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th February 2015 at 21:34.
Old 21st February 2015, 03:13   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Would you mind PM'ing me? I am a "newbie" can't PM you.
Then go ahead, it'll be good.

BTW I have a feeling while your dealership is quoting you, they may not have got news from BMW about the stopping of power kits. Because I also remember, the part numbers are not selectable on their system anymore to order the power kit. Ask your dealer to confirm with the parts manager.
Old 21st February 2015, 21:42   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
On which model do you intend to use 18 inch , ...
320d. Sorry should have been more specific in my question.

Quote:
BTW I have a feeling while your dealership is quoting you, they may not have got news from BMW about the stopping of power kits. Because I also remember, the part numbers are not selectable on their system anymore to order the power kit. Ask your dealer to confirm with the parts manager.
The dealer generated the quote from my VIN number. Says he is able to select the kit components from the procurement system. Regardless after I expressed skepticism, he has agreed to order the kit for a token payment which he will refund in full if the car is not upgraded in 6 weeks time
Old 26th February 2015, 01:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:

Oh ask me about this. I have been chewing my dealer's brains out about if they can get some components imported and installed so that it won't be called tampering.
I cross checked with dealers in mumbai as well. What they say is that if they don't have a license to do this, then that is an unauthorized change and then becomes a responsibility of the car owner and that dealer. From then on things like BSI warranty will suffer big time.

Most Viewed