Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2015, 12:04   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW India stops sale of M Performance Power Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Oh ask me about this. I have been chewing my dealer's brains out about if they can get some components imported and installed so that it won't be called tampering.
I cross checked with dealers in mumbai as well. What they say is that if they don't have a license to do this, then that is an unauthorized change and then becomes a responsibility of the car owner and that dealer. From then on things like BSI warranty will suffer big time.
Depends which parts these are. Do let me know, maybe I can speak to someone.
Old 6th May 2015, 22:55   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saju View Post
The dealer generated the quote from my VIN number. Says he is able to select the kit components from the procurement system. Regardless after I expressed skepticism, he has agreed to order the kit for a token payment which he will refund in full if the car is not upgraded in 6 weeks time
Any update on this? Did your dealer manage to get it done for you?
Old 19th July 2015, 10:30   #33
Team-BHP Support

An update - There was a BMW experience tour in Mumbai a month or 2 ago, and everyone I was told by someone pretty senior to wait till the end of the year since they are trying to do something about the performance kits. Frankly I don't know whether it was just to keep me quiet, or its actually happening, but I guess well soon find out.

I'm still looking at ways to import one myself.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 14:28   #34
BHPian

BMW should re-introduce performance variants like 325d given they made a decision to stop performance remaps on the 320d which happens to be the only variant available for the 3 series. Not providing performance variants and also not providing performance remap is simply not acceptable IMO.
super.cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 15:26   #35
BHPian

Sorry for being unaware of the differences, but does this mean BMW won't sell the 530D M-Sport as well?
Old 19th July 2015, 15:47   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This is is my 2 Cents. When any manufacturer, be it BMW or whoever, they have to get their vehicles approved by CMVR and ARAI. If they make any major changes, including the engine parameters, then the certification has to be obtained again. Any modification from approved ARAI/CMVR approved specifications, is technically illegal.

The only way BMW can offer these kits, is to allow an independent installer to import and install the kits and look the other way. They cannot officially sanction/approve/install these kits or they will be in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
but does this mean BMW won't sell the 530D M-Sport as well?
The 530 M-Sport has only the cosmetic add-ons from the M5. There is no difference in power-train with the standard 530d.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 15:52   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The 530 M-Sport has only the cosmetic add-ons from the M5. There is no difference in power-train with the standard 530d.
Thanks I just wanted to be sure, as we are planning to sell our 330i for a 530D.
Old 19th July 2015, 16:22   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
Sorry for being unaware of the differences, but does this mean BMW won't sell the 530D M-Sport as well?
Nope, that is very much available. These are the M performance power kits available as accessories we are talking about. The M sport versions are just cosmetic add ons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This is is my 2 Cents. When any manufacturer, be it BMW or whoever, they have to get their vehicles approved by CMVR and ARAI. If they make any major changes, including the engine parameters, then the certification has to be obtained again. Any modification from approved ARAI/CMVR approved specifications, is technically illegal.
What about Volvo who is happily selling their Polestar remaps?
Old 19th July 2015, 19:30   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
What about Volvo who is happily selling their Polestar remaps?
I was only highlighting the legal point about modifying a vehicle's parameters after getting approval from ARAI and CMVR. This doesn't mean every company will abide by it. It depends on the companies ethical and business standards. Volvo is a fringe player in the Indian Market. They have hardly made any investments in India in terms of Plant & Equipment. All their models are CBU. They can pack and leave any day...
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 18:48   #40
Team-BHP Support

Everyone rejoice - BMW is bringing power kits back. For the 320d, 520d, 530d and X5 30d. While the 320d and 520d kits will include a new intercooler and a new engine map (in some cases a new ecu), the 530d and X5 30d engines will include larger front brakes too.

Its a great move by BMW, but what remains to be seen are the prices.
Akshay1234 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 11:56   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Everyone rejoice - BMW is bringing power kits back. For the 320d, 520d, 530d and X5 30d. While the 320d and 520d kits will include a new intercooler and a new engine map (in some cases a new ecu), the 530d and X5 30d engines will include larger front brakes too.

Great move by BMW. Nice to see that they are even upgrading brakes in some models, this vital aspect is often ignored by most.

Aren't they offering the M performance kit for the new X1 considering it has the same engine as the 320d.
Old 30th May 2016, 14:26   #42
bhp
BHPian

Quote:

Any indication of the official launch date ?

What parts were changed in the power kit of the e90 320d.
Old 1st June 2016, 10:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
Any indication of the official launch date ?

What parts were changed in the power kit of the e90 320d.
July is what I was told when I was ordering some parts for my new car.
Even the big brake kits are coming.
Old 1st June 2016, 10:51   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Man this is tempting. The N57 motor in my X3 30d in stock form itself is quite insane. The power kit claims to take the power figures from 258PS/ 560NM to 285PS/ 600NM. If it includes larger front brakes, should be worth it. I am also very tempted to get the staggered 19" wheels, which I thought I will hold off until next tyre change. If I am getting the power kit, the bigger wheels make a good case for themselves.

This is how the power graph looks, before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW India stops sale of M Performance Power Kits-image.jpe  

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 1st June 2016 at 10:52.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 21:41   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Man this is tempting. The N57 motor in my X3 30d in stock form itself is quite insane. The power kit claims to take the power figures from 258PS/ 560NM to 285PS/ 600NM. If it includes larger front brakes, should be worth it. I am also very tempted to get the staggered 19" wheels, which I thought I will hold off until next tyre change. If I am getting the power kit, the bigger wheels make a good case for themselves.

This is how the power graph looks, before and after.
I'm on the same boat on my next yet to be delivered 530d.
I believe we'll be getting only the ECU and the brakes as we already have the Intercooler.
I'll get the MPPK once launched but I'd suggest stay away from those 19 inches as they can be a pain to drive and maintain in our roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks