Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2014, 12:19   #1
Team-BHP Support

BMW India stops sale of M Performance Power Kits

For those of you who know what these are, you must be surprised reading the title. For those of you who don't, let me explain -

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...WPowerkit.aspx
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...it_petrol.html

For about 3 years now, BMW had been offering a one of a kind accessory for some of their cars. A power kit, which would add a remap along with some hardware changes to boost the power of the car by a fair margin, without hampering factory warranty.

These M Performance Power Kits, or BMW Performance Power Kits as they were known earlier were specifically designed for each type of engine. For eg, a power kit on the 320d would include a new tuned ECU, a larger intercooler, a more powerful cooling fan, new air intake ducts, and an optional exhaust for better sound. With all these you would know reliability wouldn't be affected one bit since all aspects were being taken care of.

Yes they cost quite a bit, but the peace of mind and they way they perform make up for it. I had installed a power kit on my 320d about 2 years ago, it completely changed the car making the engine more refined, adding a whole lot of power, changing the way the gearbox behaves, etc. It just made the car much more fun to drive.

Since I was extremely happy with the power kit, when we bought the X3 30d recently I was on the lookout for BMW to launch a power kit for this. As luck would have it, the power kit was launched for the X3 30d about a month ago internationally. I knew I had to get this sometime soon.

I started doing some research on it, and wanted to know if BMW India would be able to sell it, and how much it would cost. I spoke to my dealer, who seemed clueless about it (not surprising since it was barely launched). I then emailed BMW India about it who redirected it to my dealer, whose parts manager called me.

I spoke to this gentlemen who said BMW India has stopped selling power kits. I thought he must be misinformed, and even provided him with the part number of the power kit for the X3. While it showed up on his system, he said BMW would not let him order it. He also said he had received a directive from BMW India to stop selling power kits.

All of this got me extra surprised, so I called up the BMW India helpline, where I spoke to another gentlemen who had helped me with an issue before and requested him to find out if power kits have been discontinued and the reason for the same if true.

Sure enough he got back to be within an hour saying the power kits had been discontinued due to homogolation issues. Now that this seems true, it is quite sad for a company like BMW India to stop selling these kits. While the kits may not have been flying off shelves, they definitely were selling a decent amount in spite of the price tag.

So anyone now looking to buy a power kit, you are out of luck!

Any inputs guys, on whether a homogolation issue seems true? Do accessories need to be homogolated?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th December 2014 at 13:26. Reason: Spelling piece to peace of mind
Akshay1234 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 12:37   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW India stops sale of M Performance Power Kits

I'm not informed enough to have an opinion on this, but I have a question of my own.

What level of modification constitutes a requirement to re-homologate a car? i.e. at what point of modification does a car become 'totally' different from the one you started with? Different engine, different tune, different ancillary power-train components?

In BMW's case, based on Akshay's notes from his M-kit install, the part changes were all ancillary (the engine itself was untouched), so I'm curious how it can cause homologation issues? Isn't it just a differently tuned same car?
Old 26th December 2014, 13:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

I was under the impression that aftermarket installations were beyond the purview of Homologation, which made the M power kits absolutely delightful. Unless there is something else lurking undisclosed, I dont see a reason why BMW would discontinue something that generated some revenue for them.
Old 26th December 2014, 14:26   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Naah, I don't think it has anything to do with homologation. Else manufacturers wouldn't even sell upsized wheels which are technically a modification.

Seeing the pricing, it's obvious that the margins would have been healthy. Nevertheless, I think it's a simple business decision = number of people ordering the M performance kits would've been too small to continue supporting the division.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 14:38   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Naah, I don't think it has anything to do with homologation. Else manufacturers wouldn't even sell upsized wheels which are technically a modification.

Seeing the pricing, it's obvious that the margins would have been healthy. Nevertheless, I think it's a simple business decision = number of people ordering the M performance kits would've been too small to continue supporting the division.
But the rest of the M performance accessories are still sold, whether they are brake kits or body kits. Also each kit is on order, and nothing is in stock as each kit is vin specific and ordered for that specific vehicle only. I can't understand how it is a business decision? I mean its not like they even marketed these kits at all.

Either way terrible move by BMW.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 15:43   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

AFAIK as per motor vehicle act any sort of modifications to the vehicle are illegal, the M kit with remap changes the Emissions and Fuel Consumption plus required some sort of changes to the engine, so i guess should be a problem to be sold as an accessory.

That makes me curious-
Do you know of any other Manufacturer who offers remaps and hardware changes as an aftermarket fitment?
Was there an aftermarket M Kit available for 328i?

Last edited by .anshuman : 27th December 2014 at 05:55. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 16:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

These M Performance Power Kits, or BMW Performance Power Kits as they were known earlier were specifically designed for each type of engine. For eg, a power kit on the 320d would include a new tuned ECU, a larger intercooler, a more powerful cooling fan, new air intake ducts, and an optional exhaust for better sound.

Any inputs guys, on whether a homogolation issue seems true? Do accessories need to be homogolated?
This question is quite tricky. As the accessory mentioned here deals with engine (and hence a direct impact on power / emissions), it can be a reason. Homologation and type approval rules are not exactly the same in India and other countries , say Europe. That is why a vehicle made and homologated in India has to be completely type approved for other markets (USA, Europe).
That is also the reason, the product may be available elsewhere. For example here in Germany, if you do any modification (lamps, tires, wheels, power upgrade etc.) you HAVE to get it authorized from TÜV that it is roadworthy and does not violate any prevailing norms. Further, the modification needs to be mentioned in the vehicle documents. In India, there are no such provisions.

Homologation comes in to play in safety / environmental critical vehicle subsystems like -

• Powertrain
  • Exhaust after treatment system
  • Intake system
  • Brake system
  • Electricals
  • Lights
  • Seats

The list is not comprehensive, and goes on..
If I mention all of them, you will realize many of the modifications you see on the cars in India are downright illegal.

Prost
Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2014, 00:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
the M kit with remap changes the Emissions and Fuel Consumption plus required some sort of changes to the engine, so i guess should be a problem to be sold as an accessory.
There is a point there, but in that context then, products from shops like Pete's or Racedynamics should also go through Homologation or might be illegal.

However, what's stopping them from still offering those upgrades as a hush-hush arrangement between the company and the owner.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2014, 10:55   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
In BMW's case, based on Akshay's notes from his M-kit install, the part changes were all ancillary (the engine itself was untouched), so I'm curious how it can cause homologation issues? Isn't it just a differently tuned same car?
I cannot understand why accessories need to be homogolated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I was under the impression that aftermarket installations were beyond the purview of Homologation, which made the M power kits absolutely delightful. Unless there is something else lurking undisclosed, I dont see a reason why BMW would discontinue something that generated some revenue for them.
It certainly must be something undisclosed, at least that's what I think. Now I have to look at options from abroad to order the kit.

Quote:
AFAIK as per motor vehicle act any sort of modifications to the vehicle are illegal, the M kit with remap changes the Emissions and Fuel Consumption plus required some sort of changes to the engine, so i guess should be a problem to be sold as an accessory.

That makes me curious-
Do you know of any other Manufacturer who offers remaps and hardware changes as an aftermarket fitment?
The emissions and fuel consumption aren't altered as far as I know. They are exactly the same, that's what the BMW site says.

I read in another thread a member getting a Polestar remap from his Volvo dealer. I don't think any other manufacturer offers something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
The list is not comprehensive, and goes on..
If I mention all of them, you will realize many of the modifications you see on the cars in India are downright illegal.
I understand that most modifications are illegal, thanks to our antiquated motor rules. But wouldn't a company like BMW have thought of this before starting to sell the kits 2 years ago?
Old 27th December 2014, 13:18   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Since I was extremely happy with the power kit, when we bought the X3 30d recently I was on the lookout for BMW to launch a power kit for this. As luck would have it, the power kit was launched for the X3 30d about a month ago internationally. I knew I had to get this sometime soon.
Sad news Akshay, as was looking forward for your X3 30d fitted with a MPPK, lets hope u some how manage to import the same and get it fitted with @ BMW SC (IMO they are mod friendly if you provide them with the BMW part no.)

Quote:
No MPPK available for the 328i in India nor globally.

There was some rumor about 428i with a possibility of a power kit but sadly though the engine was same no such possibility is there to put the same kit in the F30, sounds funny nut this is a joke going on in global BMW forums like bimmerpost.com etc

Last edited by karan561 : 27th December 2014 at 13:19.
Old 27th December 2014, 16:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Link to Team-BHP news article

BMW India stops sale of M Performance Power Kits-untitled.png

BMW India stops sale of M Performance Power Kits-untitled2.png

Here are the links to info on the performance power kits according to BMW India's website.

3-Series: http://www.bmw.in/in/en/owners/acces...ies_sedan.html

5-Series: http://www.bmw.in/in/en/owners/acces...ies_sedan.html
Old 29th December 2014, 21:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For example here in Germany, if you do any modification (lamps, tires, wheels, power upgrade etc.) you HAVE to get it authorized from TÜV that it is roadworthy and does not violate any prevailing norms.
Highlighting my previous post. Refer the portion marked in red.

BMW India stops sale of M Performance Power Kits-1.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3612070

Prost
Spike
Old 29th December 2014, 22:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The manufacturer can cover his backside by stating 'for track use only'.

On a related note, I've always wondered about the legality when manufacturers change the working parameters of the ECU as a field/ service item.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 02:16   #14
Team-BHP Support

Spoke to another gentleman today who handles accessories and BMW Lifestyle in India. Had a great chat with him. GTO was right and it was just a business decision. Very few powerkits were sold. Earlier cars were homogolated with the power kits, but now it didn't make sense due to the response.

So that's that.

Hopefully in a few years they may bring them back if the demand is there.

I can't wait that long though
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 11:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spoke to another gentleman today who handles accessories and BMW Lifestyle in India. Had a great chat with him. GTO was right and it was just a business decision. Very few powerkits were sold. Earlier cars were homogolated with the power kits, but now it didn't make sense due to the response.

So that's that.

Hopefully in a few years they may bring them back if the demand is there.

I can't wait that long though
If it is just a business decision then hopefully BMW/Audi/Merc may not have a problem if you import it and ask them to do the installation with their software/system, etc. updates. If it was a homogolation issue, then even the import and local installation would be difficult.

Most Viewed