Hyundai MPV coming in 2016-hyundaimpv2016.jpg
groom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:38   #17
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai MPV coming in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
With ix20, Hyundai could be targeting the types of Jazz and YRA first rather than gunning for Ertiga/Mobilio segment.
Jazz has the advantage of the sub-4m "small car" excise slab. The international version of YRA is 4023 mm in length, but I'm sure Maruti Suzuki will reduce its length slightly to bring it within the 4 m mark, to take advantage of the excise slab.

I doubt Hyundai can reduce the length of the ix20 to less than 4 m. The European version has a length of 4100 mm. It may not be easy to shave off 100 mm.

So they may try to lengthen the ix20 to make it accommodate two/three additional seats in the third row, and also raise the suspension by a fair amount for India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Size wise, Hexa space appears to be in Lodgy's territory, but the spy shot on the previos page indicates, this MPV would be either on par or smaller than Ertiga in Length. One thing for sure, is that they might load the vehicle fully and might be better equipped than Mobilio and Ertiga.
The ix20 as it's sold in Europe has only two rows of seats and is definitely shorter than the Ertiga/Mobilio in terms of length.

They could make it longer and borrow ideas from the Hexaspace concept to make the final product a 7/8 seater MPV.

I'm not sure the Indian market is mature enough to accept a 5-seater MPV as of now. Both the previous generation Jazz and the current one happen to be MPV-ish hatchbacks, so they don't have a problem.

A 5-seater MPV may not be appreciated by the majority of Indian buyers as the market stands today. Inevitable comparisons with sub-4m products as well as 4m+ compact MPVs would arise, and they would put the ix20 at a disadvantage.

So I think it's inevitable that Hyundai would go by market preferences and turn the ix20 / ic25 into a 7/8 seater compact MPV to take on the Ertiga, Mobilio etc.

I would not be surprised if the final product were to have some resemblance to this, at least in side profile:

Hyundai MPV coming in 2016-image.jpg

The test mule pictured above is a three-row MPV based in the i30 platform that was seen testing in Europe, but did not go into production.

The final product could draw inspiration from the Hexaspace concept, ix20 & the 3-row MPV pictured above, in terms of design. It could be built on a modified Creta platform, and share powertrains with other Hyundais (probably 1.4 and/or 1.6 litre petrol & diesel motors).

Last edited by RSR : 23rd July 2015 at 13:07.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
Thanks Raj ! That is a nice array of cars they have , What about the Hyundai Genesis? That is also one awesome car right?

The MPV does look interesting, at a first glass looks more attention grabbing than the ertiga and seems well rounded, wow Hyundai is just heating up the market one by one
I have never driven the Genesis but have sat in one. Trust me, one would not believe that it costs just 26 Lacs INR here in Dubai.

I have been in the KIA Quoris though and that is like the epitome of luxury for this South Korean brand. It costs a reasonable 31 Lacs INR here in Dubai, very reasonable for what it offers.
Old 11th October 2015, 11:27   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai re-confirms MPV Plans for 2016.

Quote:
While the company is present across all major segments, its absence in the MPV market is 'jarring' as it is unable to take advantage of the robust sales in the taxi market. Other full-scale MPVs in the market—Toyota Innova and Chevrolet Enjoy—are in demand among taxi operators and aggregators while Maruti Ertiga and Honda Mobilo are more popular in the self-use segment. The jury is still out on Renault Lodgy.

"We have finalized the design and other aspects of the MPV and it is expected to hit the market next year," HMIL chief coordinator (sales & marketing) young Jin Ahn said on Friday.
The MPV focus seems to be more on the taxi segment where the Innova rules. Unlike the Lodgy and Enjoy, a Hyundai MUV has the potential to pose a serious challenge to the Innova. The article also talks about focusing on the taxi segment for the next wave of growth. The planned <4M Sub Compact is also mentioned. But seeing the run away success of the Creta, Hyundai is expected to go slow with the compact SUV plans.

Source: TOI

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 11th October 2015 at 11:29.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 12:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Hyundai re-confirms MPV Plans for 2016. The MPV focus seems to be more on the taxi segment where the Innova rules. Unlike the Lodgy and Enjoy, a Hyundai MUV has the potential to pose a serious challenge to the Innova. The article also talks about focusing on the taxi segment for the next wave of growth. The planned <4M Sub Compact is also mentioned. But seeing the run away success of the Creta, Hyundai is expected to go slow with the compact SUV plans.
Source: TOI
pardon me - I did not understand this article.

is Hyundai planning for a small MUV like enjoy / ertiga like the spy pics seen earlier, or are they trying to build a medium size MUV in the dimensions of Innova / Lodgy.

I am pretty sure, they are NOT building a full size MUV in the size of R350 / Odyssey / Sienna
Old 11th October 2015, 13:46   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

is Hyundai planning for a small MUV like enjoy / ertiga like the spy pics seen earlier, or are they trying to build a medium size MUV in the dimensions of Innova / Lodgy.

I am pretty sure, they are NOT building a full size MUV in the size of R350 / Odyssey / Sienna
The context of the article seems to be about gaining market share from the taxi segment. From that perspective I assume they would be targeting a innova/lodgy sized vehicle.
Old 12th October 2015, 10:55   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Another news item on this. An article from MotorOctane is calling it an Ertiga rival and says it is based on the Grand i10 Platform.

Quote:
The new MPV has been designed in the company’s Hyderabad R&D facility, with inputs from South Korean plant. The Hyundai MPV is based on the Grand i10 platform and will be making its way into India next year.

India will be the first market to get this MPV and the Korean automaker is also targeting commercial market with this vehicle. The Hyundai brand at the moment doesn’t have an MPV. The Hyundai MPV will be powered by a 1.4-litre petrol engine and the diesel is likely to be the same size, 1.4-litre U2 diesel engine. Both these will be compete with the Ertiga, which is Maruti’s MPV.
Source: Motoroctane
Old 14th March 2016, 15:02   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai starts testing its MPV , spied in Chennai. Likely launch in 2017!

Hyundai MPV coming in 2016-xhyundaimpvspiedinchennai1_jpgqresize591p2c443_pagespeed_ic_yqwkgsk2oh.jpg
Hyundai MPV coming in 2016-xhyundaimpvspiedinchennai2_jpgqresize553p2c737_pagespeed_ic_yrymepqw7p.jpg

Quote:
The MPV is based on a modified low cost platform of Creta. To keep cost down, Hyundai will share lots of components from Grandi10, Elite i20, Verna and Creta. Hyundai MPV will be powered by 1.4 L diesel and petrol engines from Elite i20 and the power 1.6 L petrol and diesel engines will be introduced later
http://fly-wheel.com/hyundai-mpv-spied-in-chennai/

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th March 2016 at 15:07.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 21:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hyundai starts testing its MPV , spied in Chennai. Likely launch in 2017!

http://fly-wheel.com/hyundai-mpv-spied-in-chennai/
Rushlane reports the same spy images as Hyundai Tucson being tested.

Link. Any guesses?
mrbaddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 21:34   #25
RSR
Senior - BHPian

This vehicle doesn't quite have the length to be a 3-row 7-seater rival to the Ertiga, Mobilio, Enjoy etc. It resembles the European Hyundai ix20 & Kia Venga, and they are small 5-seater MPVs. In fact, the test vehicle looks exactly like an ix20:

Hyundai MPV coming in 2016-images-4.jpg

I'm not sure what Hyundai are trying to accomplish by testing the ix20 under disguise here, as it was spotted much earlier without any camouflage.

Have they decided to create an all-new segment of 5-seater MPVs? There is a possibility of this. The ix20/Venga has a length of 4075mm. Shorten it by 76mm (it's not that difficult), and one gets a sub-4m 5-seater compact MPV, thereby creating an all new sub-segment. The closest thing to such a vehicle would be Honda's Jazz, but it's a hatchback in the end (even if it's an MPV-ish hatchback).

Whatever they do, I hope they don't resort to jugaad to add extra seats. If it's going to be a localised sub-4m ix20 based on a modified Creta chassis, then let it be a proper 5-seater. Let there be no jugaad to make it a 5 + 2 seater (2 crappy jump seats in the boot) or a 5 + 1 seater (an extremely unsafe front middle seat), for heaven's sake!

The European ix20/Venga are powered by 1.4 & 1.6 litre engines, in both petrol & diesel. The 90 PS 1.4 CRDi 6MT looks like a natural choice, especially if it's going to be a sub-4m product. The 1.4 litre petrol would be ineligible for the "small car" excise slab, so it would be better if they plonk in the 1.0 Kappa T-GDI under its hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Rushlane reports the same spy images as Hyundai Tucson being tested.

Link. Any guesses?
Nice catch!

That's one big goof-up on the part of Rushlane. One can see that the test vehicle is very similar to the ix20, and doesn't even remotely resemble the Tucson. Expect Rushlane to correct their post very soon.

Last edited by RSR : 14th March 2016 at 22:03.
Old 16th March 2016, 09:25   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Have they decided to create an all-new segment of 5-seater MPVs?

The iX20 at a length of 4120 mm is coined as a MPV, would they modify this for the Indian market to make it a 7 seater? As such the iX20 loks like a Jazz with the MPV-ish looks.

Hyundai MPV coming in 2016-1.jpg

http://worldwide.hyundai.com/WW/Show...IP/index.html#
Old 16th March 2016, 14:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

I dont think Hyundai will accomplish anything by launching a 5 seater + MPV. MPV in india is clearly tagged as people mover and it better move more people

They could definitely stretch it by 10 more cms to squeeze another row of seats
Old 16th March 2016, 22:22   #28
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The iX20 at a length of 4120 mm is coined as a MPV, would they modify this for the Indian market to make it a 7 seater? As such the iX20 loks like a Jazz with the MPV-ish looks.
The length is a bit strange. This must be the facelifted version with a length of 4120 mm. The pre-facelift ix20 measured 4100 mm, while the Kia Venga (basically a badge-engineered Hyundai ix20) measures 4075 mm in length.

Unless they add to the length substantially, it cannot be converted into a 3-row 7-seater MPV. The camouflaged car in the spy pictures doesn't look that long, as the rear door and quarter glass look just like those of an ix20.

It would be better to reduce the length to 399_ mm, and sell it as a pioneering sub-4m 5-seater MPV with flexible rear seats (as found on the ix20/Venga). There may be a decent-sized market out there consisting of those who essentially want a very practical & large tall-boy hatchback. Typically, they would be looking to upgrade from cars like the hugely popular Wagon-R, but wouldn't want/need the additional seats of an Ertiga. A sub-4m ix20 would neatly slot into this space.

The Jazz is the closest thing India has to a sub-4m MPV, but it's a premium hatchback (with flexible seats on the top version) in the end. It's relatively low slung just like its direct rivals (i20, Baleno etc.) and is not quite a tall-boy.

Those who basically want a larger 4m tall-boy hatchback as an upgrade to their Wagon-R, Santro etc. don't have much of a choice now (apart from the sub-4m compact SUVs).

Pioneering a new (sub-)segment is always a gamble, but the rewards are big if one can pull it off. As this vehicle is presumably going to share its chassis and powertrain options with the Carlino-based sub-4m compact SUV, the risk can be spread out.

If it's going to be a 5-seater based on the ix20, then they better reduce its length to just under 4m, and position it slightly below the Carlino (with some overlap). Otherwise, they should stretch it out substantially, add a 3rd row of two proper forward-facing rear seats to make it a 7-seater, and position it alongside (and slightly above) the Carlino.

Last edited by RSR : 16th March 2016 at 22:44.
Old 17th March 2016, 00:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

KIA Carens is the sibling upon which the Hyundai MPV is based. Here is it's photo for reference.

Google is for further information.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai MPV coming in 2016-kiacarens2013rear.jpg  

Old 17th March 2016, 20:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

^^ Googled Kia Carens, the length is 4525 mm ! Now that's the same as my Mahindra Xylo. Puts it in the Innova league, in that case, as indicated by Aditya in the opening post.

Last edited by mooza : 17th March 2016 at 20:41.
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks