Team-BHP - can i import a honda civic from london?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   can i import a honda civic from london? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/15908-can-i-import-honda-civic-london.html)

pmat (please move to appropriate thread if any!! )

happen to see a honda civic (hatchback?) in london. got some pictures here. question is how much will it cost if i import it here? any ideas anybody? the base model is around 12k pounds which is roughly 10 lacs. but is there a heavy import duty involved?

Import duty is about 110-120% so that will work out quite expensive. Also for cars costing less than US$ 40,000 the car has to undergo an homologation process from ARAI, Pune which not only costs a bomb but also pretty much uses up the car. So I think personally importing a Civic hatchback is not a feasible possibility.

If you can afford the costs involved, "YOU SHOULD". That Euro Civic is some car!!!

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava
Import duty is about 110-120% so that will work out quite expensive. Also for cars costing less than US$ 40,000 the car has to undergo an homologation process from ARAI, Pune which not only costs a bomb but also pretty much uses up the car. So I think personally importing a Civic hatchback is not a feasible possibility.

What if he does it at the "transfer of residence" clause. What are the obligations/criteria in that case?

i read somewhere that govt gives deep discounts if you buy the car in the name of a tourism company (dev travels?). is that true?

and what is the procedure in name transfer? my friend is coming back from london and if something can be worked out within 12lacs (greedy huh?) may be one of us will be interested in buying that car.

I think the way it works is that if you can prove to the govt that the car would be used to earn forex, then the import duty gets waived. Not sure about it though. May be someone else can clarify that.

However Govt is getting strict with abuses of that rule. Some time back they impounded some cars from Bollywood celebreties because they allegedly misused this route. So I wouldn't recommend it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D
What if he does it at the "transfer of residence" clause. What are the obligations/criteria in that case?

There are restrictions, including the condition that you should have had the car for a full year before you get it over. Homologation still applies.
http://www.namasthenri.com/import/importcar.htm

Personally, I dont understand why does the homologation clause exist. I can understand it if that kind of a clause/test is applied to the stuff that is exported from India to places like US/Europe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by irdevanand
i read somewhere that govt gives deep discounts if you buy the car in the name of a tourism company (dev travels?). is that true?

not legal - unless you are using it for the stated purpose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 272519)

I just imported my car from London and there was no homologation process

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2_fast (Post 469923)

And what car was this? And was it new or second-hand?

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 469941)
And what car was this? And was it new or second-hand?

Ishan..

what car ??:Frustrati
It is Godzilla....

Check this..

Is the $40000 clause regarding the original showroom price of the car or the present value? Forexample, what if one wants to import a 10 yr old BMW which was more than 40000 at the time of purchase from showroom but now could be much less than that value. Will Homologation rules apply?

You can't import a 10 year old car.

Under ToR, you can import any car as long as you have actually owned it

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2_fast (Post 469923)

what about import duty?

how did they calculate the duty ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by irdevanand (Post 272735)
if something can be worked out within 12lacs (greedy huh?) may be one of us will be interested in buying that car.

in 12 lacs youll just about get the Indian Civic, importing one from London is now out of the picture.