Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:19   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Delhi: More cars than Bangalore, Chennai & Mumbai combined!

We all knew that Delhi forms the biggest car market in India. What was a surprising fact - at least to me - was that the capital has more cars than the next 3 cities combined!

Cars are priced lower in Delhi than the other big metros. Also, as a result of these two factors, Delhi's used car market gives you the best choice at the lowest prices.

I'm amazed at the sheer size!

Delhi: More cars than Bangalore, Chennai & Mumbai combined!-delhi.jpg
Image Source: Wall Street Journal
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Delhi: More cars than Bangalore, Chennai & Mumbai combined!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
was that the capital has more cars than the next 3 cities combined!

And this has always been the trend. Since childhood, I remember my father saying the same.

One question though, does it combine the NCR (National Capital Region) as well?

Imagine so many cars in the streets of, say, Calcutta. The infrastructure should get a mention as well.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We all knew that Delhi forms the biggest car market in India. What was a surprising fact - at least to me - was that the capital has more cars than the next 3 cities combined!
Thanks GTO!

While it might be true that Delhi has the highest number but the sheer % of difference makes me think that it could be because people register in Delhi and use in Gurgaon, Noida, Ghaziabad and other nearby cities just because Delhi has lowest car price?
maheshramaling is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Bengaluru having so many cars is surprising too. Add to this the highest number of two wheelers in the country !
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am more surprised by Chennai having more cars than Mumbai ! Chennai still has a very large 2 wheeler population and public transport is quite decent. I seriously doubt this data that Mumbai has lesser cars than Chennai
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Bengaluru has more cars than Mumbai? That's very surprising too! Also, the articles B'loreans trade in their cars early. Shouldn't that result in a cheap used cars? Doesn't seem to be the case though.

Last edited by safari_lover : 2nd January 2015 at 11:11.
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:21   #7
i10
BHPian

Mumbai has lesser cars than either Bangalore or Chennai? Is it due to a better public transport combined with lower afford-ability within the city limits?
i10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Shouldn't that result in a cheap used cars? Doesn't seem to be the case though.
One reason for Bangaloreans to opt for personal mode of transport will be lack of reliable public transport, meaning cars have become a necessity. Agreed the buses are better than that of many other cities, however it tends to get overcrowded and time consuming.

Mumbai comparatively has a cheaper train system (again crowded), however train travel is less time consuming and more reliable than bus. Also, Mumbai is largely grown length wise, this helps in train system since you are more likely to find a station from the place of your stay / work with minimum travel. Delhi & Bangalore has grown mostly in all directions.

Regarding used car deals, Bangalore has one of the highest road tax in the country. Which means the on-road price of cars are high, which reflects in re-sale market too.
mpksuhas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Totally surprised by the statistics esp for Mumbai. When compared to Thane city which has 15L vehicles the Mumbai figures seems to be totally out of place. I guess the stats are for a particular price bracket cars, the link talks about wealthy buyers and BMW's/Mercs and et all.
Old 2nd January 2015, 12:03   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if figures for Pune include that of Pimpri - Chinchwad as well.

For Bangalore, it wasn't surprising at all. One of the most weaker cities when it comes to Public transport - Metro, Subarban Rail system would have made remarkable difference today. Concept of satellite cities have failed too due to concentration of IT (major contributor for Traffic woes). We need Vashi and Thane for Bangalore.

Have always been late when it comes to providing solutions - We got ring road in 2001-02 when city was already witnessing boom and planners built that with traffic signals in future only to construct flyover and underpasses 10 years later!

We had new Airport in 2008 only to expand that in just 4 years again.

Have seen umpteen initiatives by Traffic Police and other NGOs in roping in commuters for carpooling but it has never seen success at all (Now don't say timings wont work for 2 people in 2 different organizations).

Narrowest roads when compared to traffic density, gridlocks at unexpected hours (Peak hours is a daily routine), poor enforcement when it comes to allowing heavy vehicles and private buses right inside the heart of the city, messed up infrastructure only to showcase on Facebook (Magic Boxes).

IF I have a car, I will prefer commuting in Bangalore by that than a 2 wheeler. It is always a better option than being stationary between 2 smoking hot trucks in a Jam!

On the contrary, barring Bangalore, the density of vehicles (cars) is way too less in the state that makes highway driving a better experience as compared to MH or UP or other states including TN as well.

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd January 2015 at 12:05.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 12:23   #11
BHPian

This probably explains why Delhi now competes with Shanghai for the most polluted city in the world.

We all love the automobile but there is no denying the fact that the mass produced automobile has been an environmental disaster for the planet. We freely spew gases in the air which can kill us in a minutes. The air the biggest effluent gutter in the world.

In my home in Bangalore i sometimes wake up in the morning with the scent of diesel fumes in my nostrils, from the water tanker that just went past my house. What a nauseating feeling.
JediKnight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 12:46   #12
BANNED

I don't think this is surprising, or is it? I mean, so Delhi has more cars than the next two cities put together. Pick up any capital in the world and i believe this is bound to happen. There may be some exceptions, but my gut feeling is that this story will repeat in every capital.

Why just the world, take the capitals of each of the state in India and compare it to the next two cities with in the same state and the ratio would be the same. E.g.- Compare Bangalore to Mangalore and Mysore.

Last edited by ILTDrive : 2nd January 2015 at 13:05. Reason: Clarified thoughts
Old 2nd January 2015, 12:55   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
What is the point of this discussion? I mean, so Delhi has more cars than the next two cities put together. Pick up any capital in the world and i believe this is bound to happen. There may be some exceptions, but my gut feeling is that this story will repeat in every capital.

Why just the world, take the capitals of each of the state in India and compare it to the next two cities with in the same state and the ratio would be the same. E.g.- Compare Bangalore to Mangalore and Mysore.

So, what is the point?
The discussion is more on the numbers than the difference in numbers really.

It also leads to certain topics such as
  • Affordability to buy cars
  • Difference in Fuel prices
  • Petrol Vs Diesel cars' Ratio
  • Glaring reality that dogs each of these cities and why vehicular population has grown
  • Vehicle as a necessity vs Status symbol
  • Entry level cars population in certain cities vs High end cars in other cities

Interesting points to discuss here with members from every corner of our country isn't it?

The theory of State Capital commanding the highest Vehicular numbers may not be entirely true if you compare Trivandrum with Kochi, Gandhinagar with Ahmedabad, Lucknow with Kanpur or even Washington with NY.

In fact (and as usual) Pune always ends up appearing in any such lists as the first non State capital and a Tier II city which in reality is not surprising considering how it has grown over the last decade.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 13:00   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Thanks GTO!

While it might be true that Delhi has the highest number but the sheer % of difference makes me think that it could be because people register in Delhi and use in Gurgaon, Noida, Ghaziabad and other nearby cities just because Delhi has lowest car price?
Nope. Its usually the reverse. People prefer to register in HR/UP/PB and use the cars in Delhi - as the road taxes are much lower in these states compared to DL, plus you don't pay any green tax, MCD parking fee etc when buying a new car.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 13:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
What is the point of this discussion? I mean, so Delhi has more cars than the next two cities put together. Pick up any capital in the world and i believe this is bound to happen. There may be some exceptions, but my gut feeling is that this story will repeat in every capital.

So, what is the point?
Two exceptions in India. Kerala- Trivandrum is capital but all the industry, commerce, business buzz is in Kochin. Andhra Pradesh- Vijaywada is the capital (just formed) but all the business, commerce, industry buzz is in Visakhapatnam(Vizag).

And international exception? USA. Capital is Washington DC but all the action is in NYC/LA/Chicago/Miami. And this national trend continues in US at state level, too. California capital is Sacramento but LA is the biggest city. NY State capital is Albany but all the action is in NYC. Illinois capital is Springfield but biggest city is Chicago. Capital of Florida- Tallahassee but biggest city is Miami. I'm sure this goes for all the states in USA.

But yes, everywhere else capital holds sway over other cities.
pgsagar is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks