Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2015, 15:11   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Desperately wanted: A Hot Hatch for the Indian enthusiast

Does the Getz diesel come into Hot Hatch territory?
When Hyundai sold the Getz Diesel, they didn't bother getting a new engine. They straight away lifted the Verna's Diesel and put it into the Getz.

Specs: 110 BHP @ 4000 RPM and and 235 Nm @ 1900 RPM.

Surely finding used examples will be hard. :(
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 01:37   #122
BHPian

Hot AT hatchback wishlist

I currently own a Brio AT and kinda sorta really hate it. As of now, the only relatively warm hatch with an automatic transmission in our market is the Polo TSI. Well, I recently test drove the Polo TSI and have to agree it is faster/better than its competition. However, it is not as quick or exciting as I would like it to be. At least, not exciting enough to make me immediately sell my current car and buy it.

So, what I am wishing for is a really exciting AT hot hatch. While I realize this is not going to happen in the near future, that isn't going to stop me from wishing for better AT hatchbacks at reasonable prices. I believe these cars will help bored urban yuppies, aimless nihilists, uncles with mid-life crises and car nerds to sleep a little better at night.

Fiat Punto Abarth 1.4 TJet + AMT (135bhp)
Ford Figo Ecoboost + DCT (125 bhp)
Honda Jazz RS 1.5 + CVT (116 bhp)
VW Polo GT 1.4 TSI + DSG (123 bhp)

Experts, any opinions on probable pricing of these dream ponies?

I don't see why every car launched has to be a blockbuster to make profits. Why can't car manufacturers make cars for these niche markets with higher margins? If there are enough people to buy niche CBUs like Minis, Beetles, A-Class, 1-Series & Fiat 500s, I am sure there are many more out there to buy these sane, practical yet fun hatchbacks. Since Fiat and Ford are anyways failing at competing with Maruti in the mainstream "frugal commute device" market, why not go all way and target different segments?

P.S. this is a purely speculative wishlist thread, so don't go building sand castles based on this silly thread.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 18th July 2015 at 02:02.
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 08:14   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hot AT hatchback wishlist

From your list, I don't think the Jazz will be able to satisfy a hot hatch enthusiast even with the 1.5. A CVT is not the ideal option for a performance car.

The best option today would be to get a gt tsi and do a remap to bump the power to 120+ and torque to 200+. This along with other performance mods will make it much better than a stock car.

There are several examples in this forum itself. Cars belonging to Robimahanta, chase_nt, prithvi_81 are the top ones which I can recall.

Of course, warranty goes out of the window.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th July 2015 at 08:28. Reason: Posts moved. Thanks!
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 22:33   #124
Senior - BHPian

The ecoboost from ford is no where as exciting as the TSI or the TJet. If the rumour of a Polo getting a 1.4 TSI is true then that should be the best bet. The punto is way too heavy in my view.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 20:49   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen Starts Testing Polo GTI In India, Could be the hottest hatch in India!

Volkswagen has started testing the Polo GTI in India and the car was recently spotted on the roads. This makes it one step closer to the launch.

Desperately wanted: A Hot Hatch for the Indian enthusiast-volkswagenpologtiindiaspied.jpg
Desperately wanted: A Hot Hatch for the Indian enthusiast-volkswagenpologtiindiaspyshotsfront.jpg
Desperately wanted: A Hot Hatch for the Indian enthusiast-volkswagenpologtiindiaspiedpune.jpg

Quote:
This 1.8 TSI engine is seen aboard Skoda Octavia in lower state of power & torque output, and in Skoda Superb too in an even lower tune. There is good chance the upcoming VW Polo GTI in India could share the same (lower) state of tune as one of these sedans, instead of the 189 bhp setting in international markets. Mated to this engine inside VW Polo GTI, is the acclaimed 7-speed DSG unit, that helps this hot hatch achieve 0-100 kmph acceleration in just 6.7 seconds. Top speed is rated internationally at 236 kmph
http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/featur...-shots-126964/

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th July 2015 at 20:54.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 21:21   #126
Senior - BHPian

Boy oh boy, i have to give it to VW to be fearless and not thinking about how many cars they will sell or what will happen to the sales etc, they really can set the bar so high that its next to impossible for other brands to match with their conservative engine tunes and running after arai figures.

The did launch the Polo with 1.6 TDi, they did launch it with the yummy 1.2 TSi coupled with the 7 speed DSG and i really wish they launch the 1.8 TSi with this little Polo, what a blast it would be to drive a small hatch with 180 bhp on tap. The GTi badge looks well deserved with the fantastic 1.8 TSi, i have had a long test drive of Octavia with the 1.8 TSi and it was a rocket on wheels, can only dream of how Polo would be.

Hope they are doing this testing to launch it here and not for some other reason.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 21:34   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Volkswagen Starts Testing Polo GTI In India, Could be the hottest hatch in India!

Volkswagen has started testing the Polo GTI in India and the car was recently spotted on the roads. This makes it one step closer to the launch.

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/featur...-shots-126964/
Sweet indeed
I love VW for their trust in the Indian market when every other manufacturer shies away from a performance hatchback segment.
I have a feeling that the engine is going to be 1.4 TSI with 140 BHP? The latest GTi internationally ( read Western EU) is 1.8 TSi.

I guess its party time for hatchback lovers!
Old 24th July 2015, 22:02   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Sweet indeed

I have a feeling that the engine is going to be 1.4 TSI with 140 BHP? The latest GTi internationally ( read Western EU) is 1.8 TSi.

I guess its party time for hatchback lovers!

VW had imported the 1.8L Polo GTI, so the same could be on test here.
Desperately wanted: A Hot Hatch for the Indian enthusiast-untitled.jpg

Actually VW could launch the Polo GTI - 150 PS (1.4 TSI)released in China, now could come to India as speculated in the link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...-ps-china.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th July 2015 at 22:23.
Old 24th July 2015, 23:33   #129
BHPian

Another sweet news. Goes to show how the lethargy of FIAT affects them. If the Polo GTI with even a 1.4 TSI - 150 PS is launched in India, it will steal the limelight from the Abarth's 135 PS. Looks like the Abarth Punto's title of most powerful hatchback (in the affordable segment) will be a short lived one or it may not hold that title at all seeing how quick Volkswagen is and how slow FIAT is.

Last edited by theredliner : 24th July 2015 at 23:37.
Old 25th July 2015, 17:59   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
However, it is not as quick or exciting as I would like it to be. At least, not exciting enough to make me immediately sell my current car and buy it.
VW Polo GT 1.4 TSI + DSG (123 bhp)
Experts, any opinions on probable pricing of these dream ponies?
Here you have it now, Polo 1.8 GTI is rumored to be launched in this festive season (Oct-2015)

Quote:
The VW Polo GTI is powered by the same 1.8-litre TSI EA888 engine which also does duty in other VW group cars sold in India like the current Skoda Octavia and Audi A3. This motor developed by Audi, when slotted under the Polo GTI's hood allows this hatch to crack the 100kph sprint comfortably under 7 seconds, which will easily make it the fastest hatchback in India. Globally the Polo GTI is sold with either a six-speed manual or a 7-speed DSG gearbox but its likely that India will get the automatic version, which is the trend.
Quote:
The small sales volumes anticipated won't justify local assembly and hence the GTI will be a full import and hence very expensive
Quote:
An estimated Rs. 17 lakh price tag for a car the size of the Swift won't generate too many takers beyond the tiny pool of hard-core driving enthusiasts but then VW's aim of launching the Polo GTI is not to sell it in big numbers but to position it as a halo model in the German car makers line-up alongside the iconic Beetle.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ch-396481.aspx
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 18:10   #131
BHPian

I wish that they don't keep it under 4 meters and compromise the rear seat legroom in this because with that big an engine it wouldn't get tax benefits anyway!
So a Polo with better rear legroom and a performance like THAT should be yummy complete package!

P.S. And yeah, please fix those flimsy AC vents while at that.
Old 25th July 2015, 18:34   #132
Senior - BHPian

SCross seems to be very close to hot hatch that we wanted. At least thats what TBHP review suggests.
Old 25th July 2015, 21:53   #133
BHPian

Hey Folkman, you just made my day! Gotta hand it to VW for these maverick moves. Even if they don't care for their customers, they at least care about cars. They've earned my respect for that. So, this will most probably be my next car. Ahh, now the waiting ritual begins...

Now, hopefully Fiat gets it act together and brings in a worthy rival in the form of the Abarth Punto. Seems like the good times are almost here for the crazy enthusiasts.

Wrt to pricing, I hope VW surprises everyone and launches it an on-road price of <15L. IMHO, it shouldn't be that hard to pull off if assembled locally, since the transmission and engine are already available here on other VW group cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here you have it now, Polo 1.8 GTI is rumored to be launched in this festive season (Oct-2015)
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ch-396481.aspx

Last edited by ashwin489 : 25th July 2015 at 22:18.
Old 8th August 2015, 12:24   #134
BHPian

The problem as we all know why no company will not launch a Hot hatch, or would atleast think 10 times before doing that is the Indian consumer mentality. Except for the few Auto enthusiasts, the others are only interested in the fuel efficiency numbers where the Hot hatch is obviously going to fail miserably.
However, there is a way a Hot hatch can succeed in our market, I feel, and that is if it was electric. I know, again electric cars haven't been a welcome in our market and mostly due to issues of range and recharging stations. But if there was a car, that gave immense range, comparable to a Tesla Model S (around 500km) and was really powerful (lets say 180 bhp?), would the market accept it? The cost may lie around 20lakh which is decent for a Hot Hatch I guess.
Old 9th August 2015, 07:37   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Another sweet news. Goes to show how the lethargy of FIAT affects them. If the Polo GTI with even a 1.4 TSI - 150 PS is launched in India, it will steal the limelight from the Abarth's 135 PS. Looks like the Abarth Punto's title of most powerful hatchback (in the affordable segment) will be a short lived one or it may not hold that title at all seeing how quick Volkswagen is and how slow FIAT is.
I'll add my 2 cents here. I think you're comparing two very different sets of buyers. People who want to buy an Abarth, will still buy an Abarth irrespective of whatever else is out there.

Like I've said before in other threads, people who buy cars like the Abarth 595 or the Abarth 695 are people who don't care about what other people think with regards to driving practicalities, price etc.

Abarth ownership has always been about making a statement, and people who buy a car like the Abarth do so more from their heart than their head! There may be a million other cars better than the Abarth, but you know what ask an Abarth enthusiast and they will tell you otherwise.

Yes, the VW Polo GTi is a better car when it comes to practicalities, like getting in the back seat for example, and you'll also get more car with the Polo.

The fact is that cars like the Abarth have nothing to do with making sense. We should rejoice the fact that in this day and age they exist at all. They are all about the fun of driving, the enjoyment of getting behind the wheel and smiling every time you do so.
Jeeper1941 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed