Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2015, 18:47   #16
BHPian

Re: All Toyotas to get Airbags in India!

Haven't they already made airbags standard across the refreshed Etios range? So basically they're now just adding them to the Innova & the base Corolla right? While this is a move with some merit, truthfully, I'd rather prefer ABS as standard as opposed to an airbag, as ABS is more likely to prevent an accident - then again I'd prefer both as standard, but if a manufacturer is going to pick one against the other to offer as standard, I'd prefer active safety as opposed to passive safety.

Thing is, they get to go to town a lot more with the addition of the airbag...it's more of a tangible addition i.e. the little airbag seal on the steering wheel staring back at someone, everytime they get behind the wheel, will, in all likelihood, make an average person feel a bit better about themselves as opposed to an ABS module hidden under the hood. Also it gives Toyota better marketing opportunities in all of their campaigns - a nicely ballooned airbag makes for a better advertisement as opposed to 'gyaan' about ABS in a newspaper ad!

Last edited by da_lowrider : 5th January 2015 at 18:53. Reason: errors
da_lowrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 19:39   #17
MHG
BHPian

The question whose answer we really need is "How many ?"

I appreciate the fact that Etios and Liva come with 2 airbags across range which are the only cars in the segment to do so (though it isn't sufficient). On the other hand Corolla and Camry come with 2 which is shocking considering their segments. Camry Hybrid (aka Indian Lexus) comes with 4. If they offer the same safety kit offered in the USofA for atleast the D segment and above cars, then this thread would actually be newsworthy and Toyota would actually be praiseworthy.
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 19:40   #18
BHPian

The all new Innova already has at least the Driver's airbag and ABS as standard across all variants. Are they extending it to the older model as well? Overall good move and the price increase was anyway happening for all companies. Good move to get Airbags as standard. If some car-makers set the standard, only then customers will demand same from others.
Old 5th January 2015, 20:07   #19

It is a good move by Toyota. Safety has been compromised in as many car models in India. Both ABS and Air Bag should come as a standard in cars, at least driver side air bag. And if it becomes a standard, there will be no price comparison between the one that has air bag and the one that hasn't.
Old 5th January 2015, 20:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
The question whose answer we really need is "How many ?"

I appreciate the fact that Etios and Liva come with 2 airbags across range which are the only cars in the segment to do so (though it isn't sufficient). On the other hand Corolla and Camry come with 2 which is shocking considering their segments. Camry Hybrid (aka Indian Lexus) comes with 4. If they offer the same safety kit offered in the USofA for atleast the D segment and above cars, then this thread would actually be newsworthy and Toyota would actually be praiseworthy.
I do appreciate your point about the fact that car manufacturers need to, at least, start providing the same amount of kit as they do in other markets, but personally when discussing the bit about making cars safer, I am of the opinion that safety kit should be completely segment independent. Create & segments & differentiate between them based on power, comfort, look, feel , economy whatever, but the fact that safety cones at a premium is pretty appalling!

I realize I'm a little OT here - and also talking about a utopian scenario I guess. I understand the way capitalism works & do understand that higher safety will always demand higher money due to the very nature of the world we live in.

So, the compromise is to have at least minimum required amount of safety kit in all vehicles. By current standards, this minimum standard seems to be ABS & twin airbags upfront, coupled with crumple zones & frame that withstands impact. I still not sure if we're close to ticking all of those boxes let alone getting additional safety features. Personally I'd love to have ESP added to this list, but it is wishful thinking I guess.
Old 6th January 2015, 06:58   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

What about the Toyota cars from higher segments? The South African Fortuner gets 7 Airbags, we get only 2 in India. Even the Camry comes with just 2 Airbags.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 07:02   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
What about the Toyota cars from higher segments? The South African Fortuner gets 7 Airbags, we get only 2 in India. Even the Camry comes with just 2 Airbags.
For the current offering of 2 airbags in the Fortuner and Camry, we are paying a premium price. What would be the hike Toyota would put on these two cars if 7 Airbags are provided.

Like the 4m rule, there must be mandatory requirements for airbags in every segment (Two minimum).
Old 6th January 2015, 08:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

This is just an eyewash from Toyota to justify a 40k hike due to excise duty concessions ending as on December 31. They had already made the airbags standard across their model range around the time of Etios refresh, with lower variants of Innova having just the driver airbag while every other model having 2 airbags across the range. That WAS a change that we appreciated back then.

Other than the eagle-eyed enthusiasts who are closely monitoring the automobile scene to know what happened when, 99% of the population might not have seen the earlier news or would have forgotten about it and would think of this as a move from Toyota that should be applauded. I see this as a very deplorable move from Toyota to attribute a future price hike to something they already did. However, only 1% would notice this as I said and they would easily get away with it.
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 11:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
This is just an eyewash from Toyota to justify a 40k hike due to excise duty concessions ending as on December 31. They had already made the airbags standard across their model range around the time of Etios refresh, with lower variants of Innova having just the driver airbag while every other model having 2 airbags across the range. That WAS a change that we appreciated back then.

Other than the eagle-eyed enthusiasts who are closely monitoring the automobile scene to know what happened when, 99% of the population might not have seen the earlier news or would have forgotten about it and would think of this as a move from Toyota that should be applauded. I see this as a very deplorable move from Toyota to attribute a future price hike to something they already did. However, only 1% would notice this as I said and they would easily get away with it.
All manufacturers are going to pass on the increase in excise duty to the customers. Why would Toyota need an additional justification for increasing prices? In fact, it will be make more sense for them to blame the price increase on excise duty rather than on airbags.
Old 6th January 2015, 11:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

2 Airbags and the car becomes safer ?

Off-late there is so much of talk on safety in various threads and we keep clamoring for air bags/abs and what not in ALL variants of all cars ( and in some cases at no extra cost since anyway car makers make "fat profits" )

How many people of the average driving population wear even seat belts ?

Now my point is not to say that this should be a reason to not offer air bags. But since Toyota has a LARGE CLIENT BASE among cabbies and cabbies are the most likely to NOT WEAR even seat belts, Toyota should definitely start a driver training program on safe practices including highlighting importance of wearing seat belts ESPECIALLY now that ALL their cars come with air bags. This will be a great PR exercise as well.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 16:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The South African one also comes with a rear diff lock in the 4x4 versions. And the price was not much different.
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 16:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Is ABS standard too? I think ABS makes more sense than Air Bags if choice comes to either of the two.
Old 6th January 2015, 16:34   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Is ABS standard too? I think ABS makes more sense than Air Bags if choice comes to either of the two.
In Etios Liva, ABS is standard in all diesel variants (GD, VD, VXD). But in petrol variants it is available only in V and VX variants. Don't know about other models. Hope ABS is also made standard soon.
Old 6th January 2015, 16:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Now my point is not to say that this should be a reason to not offer air bags. But since Toyota has a LARGE CLIENT BASE among cabbies and cabbies are the most likely to NOT WEAR even seat belts, Toyota should definitely start a driver training program on safe practices including highlighting importance of wearing seat belts ESPECIALLY now that ALL their cars come with air bags. This will be a great PR exercise as well.
Training will not have any impact if law and policing can not persuade a person to wear seat belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I think both should be mandatory. Why compromise on any one of them?
Old 6th January 2015, 22:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
The all new Innova already has at least the Driver's airbag and ABS as standard across all variants. Are they extending it to the older model as well? Overall good move and the price increase was anyway happening for all companies. Good move to get Airbags as standard. If some car-makers set the standard, only then customers will demand same from others.
That actually was the G(o) variant. We had one and if I remember we paid 35 k or something for an extra airbag and ABS. Rest all was exactly the same and bare bones. Doesn't even have an audio system in a 15+ L car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks