Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2016, 14:51   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: Mercedes, BMW & Audi sales figures in India

Merc at the top is understandable (and well deserved too given how their products have developed). However, I'm surprised that Audi is where it is viz a viz BMW.

Both the A4 & the A6 are the oldest in their segments (until Matrix update for A6 very very late in the year). The 3 and 5 are both clearly superior products to their Audi counterparts.

The A3 simply doesn't make sense at that size / power point - an Octy just makes so much more sense at 60% price.

The Q3 admittedly is probably a better product than the X1 and although I love the X3, I think the Q5 still has more following in comparison. Still, considering the pricing of most comparable products is not dramatically different, I'm surprised how BMW sits behind Audi. What am I missing here?
Old 5th January 2016, 14:56   #77
Senior - BHPian

Audi IMHO doesn't seem to be a luxury brand.
It shares parts with VW, Seat, Skoda and other 'ordinary' brands in the stable. It employs same shortcuts in engineering as any other VW stable car. If something goes wrong in India or abroad, Audi has a tendency wash it's hands away just like VW or Skoda have often done in the past.

Now Porsche seems to be exclusive brand and doesn't share components with Audi etc. Made for Porsche is made premium with no compromises. That is the only premium brand in VW stable.
Old 5th January 2016, 15:01   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
MBs hold their resale marginally better compared to the other 2.
I do not think so
After having various MBs, Audis and BMWs in the family, one lesson I learnt is that the resale value for Mercs is the lowest. Audi is next and the highest resale value is of BMW.

Things are about to change with the completely revamped class of cars MB is now offering and is going to offer in the near future, but as of now,the resale value of MBs is the lowest out of the 3.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Both the A4 & the A6 are the oldest in their segments (until Matrix update for A6 very very late in the year). The 3 and 5 are both clearly superior products to their Audi counterparts.
You are right about this.
The current 3 and 5 series, when compared to the current A4 (Matrix edition not out yet) and the A6 (Matrix), BMW is the better one out.
But everything is set to be changed once the A4 Matrix comes out.
It is not only going to be on par with its competitors, engine power wise, but also exterior looks and interior gizmos.

Do check out the latest A4 reviews/videos on YouTube if you have some time for it. It really is worth it

Cheers.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th January 2016 at 08:05. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
Luv_Jaiswal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 18:13   #79
Senior - BHPian

I am really not surprised at seeing BMW at the bottom of sales charts v/s Audi. I had a drive in the Q3 when i went through the decision of buying my 320D and understood why Audi sells so well.

Almost all the Audi's offer brilliant ride quality and couple it with an ultra light steering. The steering on F30 3 series is much lighter than e90 but it is still very heavy compared to Audi. The ride is also way harder when you compare it to the pillowy soft ride of an A4 in city. Soft suspension + light steering = winner in India.

The other reason is runflats and lack of spare, many do not even consider BMW because they fear about the RFT issues. BMW india remains stubborn and still does not offer tubeless tyres.

With my VW experience of past 3 years, i had sworn i would never buy a VAG product. VW group just does not know how to make a good steering unit and it is a deal breaker for me, the fact that Audi shares its parts with cheaper siblings does hurt too.

Most cars in their segments with hard steering and handling oriented suspension are a flop in India. Punto, Linea, Fiesta, Jetta are all meagre sellers compared to their segment best seller (the best sellers have light steerings and soft suspension), trend continues in higher segment as well.

In future when i upgrade, it would be Mercedes or BMW. No Audi ever and Jaguar needs to improve their service, they make outstanding cars as evident from XE reviews but Indian support is pathetic.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 18:24   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
In future when i upgrade, it would be Mercedes or BMW. No Audi ever
The Audi lineup is set to change completely. Soon not only the sales figures but engine power and interiors are going to get a major overhaul and I'm pretty sure it will take the market by storm.

I have an A4 myself and I do agree that it hurts that Audi shares a lot of parts with Skoda, VW, etc. but that is the way things are. And yes, the A.S.S. are really a pain, they are slow and expensive.

But when comparing the current A4 with the 3 series, there are no two views on which car is overall a better car. The BMW, though being little more 'rugged' than the A4 is a drivers car. On the other hand the A4 is a very executive type car. But trust me on this, I've been driving the A4 since 3 months now and it really is not that bad how people think it is.

More on that later

Cheers.
Old 5th January 2016, 23:37   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Personally, I am a huge BMW fan and have a bias to BMW. I recently bought an X3 XLine version and am totally enjoying it.

However, I am pissed of at BMW for omitting some basic things like a Rear View Camera, LED lights, Adaptive front headlamps, etc on a vehicle that costs north of 60 Lakhs.

In a way, I am glad their chips are down, cause they really need to get off their high horse and earn their money in this market.
Old 6th January 2016, 07:41   #82
BHPian

What I have also read is that BMW's marketing is not as fierce as Audi. Audi has offers most of the year and some pretty good ones. Also, they try to push their cars to customers with full effort which IMO, is still not there with BMW.
Take an example of Audi Q3s. They launched the absolutely stripped down version at a throwaway price. People didn't mind the bare bone car as long as it is an Audi and there were many takers for it. In the same way, the newspaper carried ads for Audi A6 Premium Plus this December with an ex-showroom price of ₹39.9 lakhs. I am sure many would have gone for it when they saw a higher segment car available at the price of MB C-class.
This is just what I feel. I have seen Audi going to any extent to get maximum customers in its forte. Something that BMW is still not so aggressive about.
Mercedes deserve the numbers. They have developed beautiful cars in the recent times. But with the 2000cc+ ban, the numbers will dwindle for the upcoming few months.

P.S- I am not a BMW basher or Audi fan. I love BMW to the core and was just presenting my opinion.
shreyak_ss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 10:02   #83
BHPian

Recently picked up a 320d Sportline together with t-bhp member Shivasuma.

Had the worst experience with BMW sales reps (dealt with 6 different reps over three months), until we found the right guy. Never faced this with Audi and MB, who were more than eager to close a deal.

If you are in Bangalore avoid the Navnit Lavelle Road Showroom like the plague, bunch of incompetent and arrogant sales teams. They behave like you have come to buy some vegetables.

Another factor for weak BMW sales is because they currently have no successful volume products in its arsenal. No A-Class, CLA, GLA equivalent.

Also the current 3-Series is under equipped when compared to new C-Class. In the luxury car market buyers are rarely looking for a drivers car (i.e 3 Series), so to speak.

The 1 Series is very expensive given the features. BMW is looking at the re-launch of X1 to help boost their sales numbers, but I heard that is going to be only front wheels drive in India.
Old 6th January 2016, 22:21   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post

Had the worst experience with BMW sales reps (dealt with 6 different reps over three months), until we found the right guy. Never faced this with Audi and MB, who were more than eager to close a deal.

If you are in Bangalore avoid the Navnit Lavelle Road Showroom like the plague, bunch of incompetent and arrogant sales teams. They behave like you have come to buy some vegetables.
Wish you had posted this a month back! Poor dealers like Navnit Motors really don't help BMW's cause one bit when it comes to increasing sales. I recently bought an X3 from their Bangalore Lavelle road showroom and am facing some real poor after sales service. Even the delivery experience was sub par. My mail to their CRM and sales team lead hasn't even yielded a customary "we'll get back to you" reply. In all my car purchase history, I haven't come across a more disorganized car dealership.

Another thing that hurts BMW's chances in India is their stubbornness of not offering a space saver with a storage cavity in the boot. OK we'll live with RFTs , and buy our own spare. Atleast provide a cavity for the spare!
Old 6th January 2016, 22:45   #85
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Merc at the top is understandable (and well deserved too given how their products have developed). However, I'm surprised that Audi is where it is viz a viz BMW.
While this is currently true I suspect the tables will turn shortly when buyers notice the high running costs of Mercs and the fact that Audis are involved in the VW emissions cheating scandal.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th January 2016 at 23:08. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 08:17   #86
BHPian

Well it's almost been a year since my X1 purchase and if anyone has read my ownership thread will know that I also mentioned the same. Navnit is very bad in terms of both sales and after sales. Anyone who buys a car from them is solely buying it because of their love for driving.
zombiedriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 19:33   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes India takes the crown of sales in the luxury segment in 2015- sells 13502 vehicles in India , while Audi India sold 11,192 vehicles.

http://www.carwale.com/news/21437-au...s-in-2015.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th January 2016 at 19:35.
Old 2nd March 2016, 21:47   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes leads again in Feb 2016 auto sales, Audi just behind, followed by BMW!

Mercedes - 1085
Audi - 990
BMW- 640
Volvo-140

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1680
Size:  16.2 KB

Source:Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd March 2016 at 21:49.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 22:24   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mercedes leads again in Feb 2016 auto sales, Audi just behind, followed by BMW!
That is a surprise, it seems that the NCR ban on Mercedes diesels has had no effect on their sales. I expected Audi to over take them as the gap between sales of Audi and Merc is narrow, Audi has 2 litre diesels and was not affected by this diesel ban.
Old 2nd March 2016, 22:32   #90
Team-BHP Support

Yes , thats indeed surprising.More so in budget month , all Dealers must have picked everything from stocks on 29th due to duty change. Looks BMW are running low on production as well perhaps making changes to their lines for newer models.

But this should narrow down in coming months once new X1 comes.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks