Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2016, 12:38   #91
Team-BHP Support

re: Mercedes, BMW & Audi sales figures in India

So why does BMW lag?

I went for the BMW experience in Oct. Requested a test drive of the 3. Got SMS's but nothing else.

A few days ago got a call from a guy called Nixon from Navneet

"Have you had a test drive?" tone like as if my boss asked me to complete a task

"No, one ever called"

"So, have you dropped the idea?" - I felt like saying "do you want me to?"

I threw him a bait

" May be in 6 months time"

" ok"

click

In contrast - Audi Bangalore followed up from the showroom visit and bugged me till I drive the car and then followed up with me till I had to say no
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 07:25   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes continues to lead in the luxury segment with Audi closing the gap in March 2016 sales figures.
All brands show a positive growth with special reference to Volvo.

Mercedes 1108, Audi 1021, BMW 668 , Volvo 155, Porsche 16

Mercedes, BMW & Audi sales figures in India-capture.jpg

Source- Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th April 2016 at 07:39.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 11:27   #93
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Jaguar-Land Rover shares overall sales figures for the first quarter of the current year:

Quote:
Jaguar Land Rover India today announced a strong growth of 45 percent for the Jan-Mar 2016 quarter period, crossing 1,000 units, on the back of extremely high demand for sales of its recently launched new models such as All-New Jaguar XE and Discovery Sport.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 18:30   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mercedes continues to lead in the luxury segment with Audi closing the gap
Instead Mercedes widened the gap!
Old 7th April 2016, 19:17   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Instead Mercedes widened the gap!

I don't think you should read too much into the minor difference in numbers. I mean both of them are selling above the 1000 mark and that should be good.
Old 7th April 2016, 19:46   #96
Senior - BHPian

poor sales executives that bmw employs not withstanding, my gut instinct here is that Audi & Mercedes make slightly more fragile cars & engines than BMW. I don't know exactly why but I get this impression from Audi who do not honor to service their products if customers are in a jam from some failed component. And Mercedes keeps releasing new products with some tiny segment demarcations that it has become boring now. BMW still has it's old 1 series, 3 series, 5 series, 6/7 series thing going which is better product positioning than the slew of characterless cars that Audi & Merc seem to launch from time to time.

My strong instinct is that the new products especially in the cheaper side have serious shortcomings in quality (which ofcourse the customers are not privy to) which is being covered with fancy nomenclature like CLK/MLK/SLG/MLG/GLS/SLK/S/M/G/L/C/E/GLE/MLE/CLE/ and god know what else. Audi is scary with nomenclatures. Customers may not feel secure with these brandings unless they just want to blow money and cars are just a pretext.
lurker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 20:11   #97
BHPian

BMW has been doing this game earlier than the other two. At least in outside counties, there is a slew of BMWs to choose from. Even the 3 series becomes 316,318, 320, 335, etc and add the 4 series, 6 series, estate/ wagon versions and the X versions. IMO BMW may have more number of products which are overlapping in every segments. It's only that the other two have caught up to them.
As to BMW engines appearing more durable to you, I have no comment. That is your opinion. If you have the facts to back it up, well and good.
Do you feel that way because BMW gives 4 year maintenance package ( you are simply prepaying for it).
I feel that all three of those manufacturers have equally robust engines.
Old 7th April 2016, 21:45   #98
Team-BHP Support

I think BMW has lost the plot since past 2-3 years . They have been following Mercedes on pricing simply forgetting what's their costs or what price will customer pay for. Every segment they operate has taken a hit from Mercedes and someone needs to answer - they can't sell a new 3 series nor globally leading 5 series in more numbers over Mercedes. There was a time when C was in it's last few month of its life cycle which is now case with E and still both variants sell in more number then BMW . They have priced 7 series bang close to S class always even when 7 was in last few months and then all of a sudden they took off 40 % of list price , I am more then sure if they could have priced it competitively without looking at S class prices they would have got far better numbers. Who will tell them that in majority of states in India most of Taxes like RTO etc are calculated on MRP and not on Discounted prices that dealer bills, so in a way they are reducing the difference in Net On Road price with competitors despite passing discounts. Most of their cars are running with high discounts and no one knows for sure if he has got a good deal despite haggling , why can't they simply review this policy? I don't understand how can their German HO tolerate such decisions for so long and with so high cumulative losses that BMW India is piling , feel so sorry for such a brand which does have so many capable products.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th April 2016 at 21:51.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 01:14   #99
BHPian

It is the same situation worldwide. BMW will by all projections lose the sales crown to MB this year globally. I also read that BMW has been a little late in joining the connectivity/Autonomous battle that was much flaunted by MB and Audi in recent times.

Having said that, we also have to keep in mind that the sales volume is only one facet of the business since BMW has been consistently high in brand value. It is the car brand most Googled for in most countries and has the highest value for its brand year on year(source: interbrand and Forbes reports). And this too with quite less exposure to current day motorsports (F1 or WEC or WRX) than MB and Audi which are pouring gallons to show-off.So, BMW wouldn't mind losing the sales crown as long their profitability is sustained.

And I found a website that lists sales quite extensively of most manufacturers in India including premium segment(like Landrover, Mini upto Rolls). Since I see a lot of us would like to know, I am providing the link below..

http://focus2move.com/category/ck35-...es/ck51-india/

P.S I am in no way connected to this site nor have any financial benefit. I find this source quite interesting as an enthusiast. It also lists data of most big markets which I also keep a tab on.
Old 8th April 2016, 07:22   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
poor sales executives that bmw employs not withstanding, my gut instinct here is that Audi & Mercedes make slightly more fragile cars & engines than BMW. I don't know exactly why but I get this impression from Audi who do not honor to service their products if customers are in a jam from some failed component. And Mercedes keeps releasing new products with some tiny segment demarcations that it has become boring now. BMW still has it's old 1 series, 3 series, 5 series, 6/7 series thing going which is better product positioning than the slew of characterless cars that Audi & Merc seem to launch from time to time.

My strong instinct is that the new products especially in the cheaper side have serious shortcomings in quality (which ofcourse the customers are not privy to) which is being covered with fancy nomenclature like CLK/MLK/SLG/MLG/GLS/SLK/S/M/G/L/C/E/GLE/MLE/CLE/ and god know what else. Audi is scary with nomenclatures. Customers may not feel secure with these brandings unless they just want to blow money and cars are just a pretext.
True, this is my gut instinct too! No doubt all three brands can trace back their roots to antiquity, but BMW with its history of being in the business of motorcycles also - they were even called the Rolls Royce of the motor cycle industry at one point! - seems to evoke this reaction.....
Old 8th April 2016, 14:54   #101
D C
BHPian

Mercedes-Benz India records highest ever sales for FY16

Apparently, Mercedes has achieved best ever sales in India, despite the ban of diesel vehicles in Dehli / NCR.

As per various sources on the internet, Audi sold 11,192 cars and BMW sold 6,890 cars (6,550 BMW and 340 MINI) in 2015

Quote:
Luxury car maker Mercedes-Benz on Wednesday announced its best ever sales in the India. The company recorded its best fiscal year (13,558 units), best quarter (3,622 units) and best monthly sales ever (March 2016).

The sales momentum achieved for quarter ended March 31, 2016, is significant against the backdrop of the diesel vehicle ban in the key Delhi and NCR market, successive price hikes and lack of incentives for the automotive sector in the Union Budget.

In the first quarter of 2016, the E-Class was the highest selling car model. The E-Class’ popularity was closely followed by the C-Class which remained a significant volume contributor in Q1 2016. Apart from the sedans, the SUV portfolio comprising the GLA, GLE and the GL also grew in Q1 2016. The New Generation Cars remained a steady contributor to volumes in the quarter as well.
Source: The Financial Express

Related News:

Audi India loses top slot to Mercedes-Benz in luxury car sales in 2015

Global leader BMW ranks third in Indian luxury car market
D C is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 16:00   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mercedes continues to lead in the luxury segment with Audi closing the gap in March 2016 sales figures.
All brands show a positive growth with special reference to Volvo.

Mercedes 1108, Audi 1021, BMW 668 , Volvo 155, Porsche 16

Attachment 1494122

Source- Auto Punditz
StoneFox writes in to say:

The numbers given for March 2016 are exactly same as January 2016 sales figures for all makes. Mercedes Benz sales in March 2016 is ~1428.

...and he does have a point. The "March 2016" figures match January 2016's figures exactly.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th April 2016 at 16:04.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 19:39   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Story continues with Mercedes taking the lead again in April-16 Sales,

Mercedes, BMW & Audi sales figures in India-capture.jpg

Source- Auto Punditz
Old 4th July 2016, 09:18   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Trend continues for June 2016 sales , Mercedes in the lead.

Mercedes, BMW & Audi sales figures in India-jun.jpg

Source- Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 13:16   #105
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes Benz' plans for 2017

Mercedes Benz plans to keep the momentum going with fresh models lined up for launch in 2017.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/53593010.cms

Quote:
Merc is set to bring in nine new models in 2017. Besides the Mercedes models, two all-new models of Smart will also make their international debut next year. The document further reveals that the Mercedes-AMG GT R will be launched in the first half of 2017 while the GT C will make its way in the second half of next year.
Quote:
Mercedes-Benz India will present the new C-Class convertible by this October-November and the GLC Coupe by early next year.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks