Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2017, 10:48   #151
BHPian

Re: Mercedes, BMW & Audi sales figures in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
This is going to be a bit tricky for them. They have to price is close to the E 200/220 LWB if they want to make it a success. Putting a bigger engine and pricing it against the E350d at 70+ won't work.
However, this will create a problem within the portfolio as the 6 series GC and Coupe would be priced nearly double of the GT as they are CBU. They would need to relook at pricing of the 6 series coupe and granCoupe.
There won't be any 6 Series Coupe or GC. That body style and positioning has been given to the 8 Series.

So, in effect the portfolio gets extended till 8 Series for Sedans and X7 for SUVs. Both these will be headed for India launch. The 8 Series prototype was also shown to select few in a London event.
BeamerBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 19:48   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

June 2017 figures of Mercedes, BMW, Volvo...model wise and relatively new launches,

Mercedes, BMW & Audi sales figures in India-dgep8tmxkauoyev-1.jpg

Source:Jato

Old 28th August 2017, 15:25   #153
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you were curious about Porsche's volumes in India:

Quote:
If the trend continues, Porsche will soon cross the 563-unit mark—its best ever annual sales recorded in 2013. For context, Porsche sold 401 cars in 2016. This turnaround comes right after Porsche dumped its master importer, Ashish Chordia, in 2012, after an ugly spat, got rid of a controversial MD, and finally got its portfolio right.
Source: Fortune India
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 16:03   #154
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The way things are going (and the Diwali bump), Mercedes will cross 15,000 sales in the calendar year . A first. Just imagine the sheer profits from selling these expensive cars.

Highpoints from their press release:

Quote:
- Record 11869 units sold in the January-September 2017 period, clocking 19.6% year-to-date growth compared to Jan -Sep 2016 (9924 units)

- 4698 units sold in the July-September 2017 period, 41% growth compared to July-Sept 2016 (3327 units)

- Continued Success of the Long Wheelbase E-Class Sedan: It remains the single highest selling model for Mercedes-Benz in 2017 spearheading this year’s growth story, followed closely by the C-Class Sedan

- GLC remains the highest selling SUV in the portfolio, closely followed by the GLE
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 17:45   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The way things are going (and the Diwali bump), Mercedes will cross 15,000 sales in the calendar year . A first. Just imagine the sheer profits from selling these expensive cars.
This is a big number indeed. Other luxury brands also seems to do fine which indicates the Indian market is definitely heading towards a positive trend for these brands. While Mercedes seems to be a clear winner here I think the other two German brands especially BMW could do better numbers with launching the right set of products and increased localisation there by pricing it better.
haneeshN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 22:44   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW sells 7138 cars in 2017, 17.3% up from 2016.

But Mercedes upbeat in the Luxury segment sells 11869 cars, up 19.6%.

link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 10:33   #157
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
BMW sells 7138 cars in 2017, 17.3% up from 2016.

But Mercedes upbeat in the Luxury segment sells 11869 cars, up 19.6%.
To put things in perspective, Mercedes sells 66% more cars than BMW . Just like their performance in F1, it appears that Mercedes India can't put a foot wrong.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 10:52   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just imagine the sheer profits from selling these expensive cars.
I read about huge discounts being offered on these high-end cars. Is it a new market strategy? Price the car at X at launch and within a few months, start giving Y discounts on it. As the age of model increases (model life is very short for these cars), Y keeps on increasing. Like a dynamic pricing model.

OT: I see popular mass market players like Maruti and Hyundai also employing similar strategy, even for their super popular models. The difference is the Y component doesn't vary too much as the models have longer life.

It sure gives the buyer a good feeling of having squeezed some discounts on their model.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 10:52   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been seeing more new Mercs than BMWs in their factory's home town (Pune) and let me take a stab at why MB is leading the race even though I love BMWs:

a) Those sharp designs. They are really eye catching. Those Mercs no longer look like an 'Uncle's or a 'Seth ji's' car. Thumbs up to MBIL. Well done.

b) The MB brand really commands respect and brand recall in this country with nearly everybody urban or rural. At one point in time owning a Merc was 'IT'.

c) Comfort!! When buying a luxury sedan people over a certain age I'd say 50-55 bracket don't spend tens of lakhs to have their rear ends and spines experience every bone jarring bump and pot hole on our roads.

And a few of those really well heeled folks would probably buy a sporty EU sedan to accompany their luxo-barge in the garage.

d) Reliability. I may be putting myself out on a limb but I'd say a MB is mechanically reliable. Probably more so than a BMW and certainly more than those jinxed VAG group Audis. UGH! But no offence to Audi owners.

PS - My new favourite SUV? The MB GLE/S followed closely by the Toyota LC 200. The Audi Q & BMW X models don't float my boat.

Last edited by R2D2 : 7th October 2017 at 10:58.
R2D2 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 14:16   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I read about huge discounts being offered on these high-end cars. Is it a new market strategy? Price the car at X at launch and within a few months, start giving Y discounts on it. As the age of model increases (model life is very short for these cars), Y keeps on increasing. Like a dynamic pricing model.
Interestingly, Mercedes gives the least amount of discounts on their models. Audi & BMW are masters of the discount, often as high as 20% the ex-showroom price if not more!

Mercedes is definitely running away with the market in this segment - their cars manage to wow the car buying population with their interiors + exteriors combo.
Just the looks and feel good factor that is driving these sales, as compared to BMW which IMO is a little more reliable + more feature loaded + more sorted in the ride & handling department + cheaper to buy and maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I have been seeing more new Mercs than BMWs in their factory's home town (Pune) and let me take a stab at why MB is leading the race even though I love BMWs:
I'd actually like to differ on some of those points after having driven the new models from these manufacturers. BMW feels a lot better put together than a Mercedes (at least in the lower ranges). Just compare the 3/3GT with the C Class, and even the 5 series & E Class.

Last edited by lamborghini : 7th October 2017 at 14:20.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 16:09   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I'd actually like to differ on some of those points after having driven the new models from these manufacturers. BMW feels a lot better put together than a Mercedes (at least in the lower ranges). Just compare the 3/3GT with the C Class, and even the 5 series & E Class.
Actually I'm referring to mechanical reliability of the drive train and sundry mechanical parts that I received as feedback from friends who own a 5 series and E class. I don't deny fit and finish is very good to excellent in the Big 3 Germans as it ought to be given their market positioning & price.

The BMW BSI package is in a class of its own which makes ownership of these cars a real peace of mind deal, at a hefty upfront price of course.

As for those BMW discounts - my friend bought a pre facelift F10 520D with a tasty discount of 10 big ones on the sticker price back in '13. I'm still to take a TD of a G30 530i and F30 330i (petrol head here) and I look forward to it.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 16:20   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Actually I'm referring to mechanical reliability of the drive train and sundry mechanical parts that I received as feedback from friends who own a 5 series and E class.
Fair enough - in my case it was the complete opposite with the W211 & E60 we owned. The E60 had a few niggles primarily to do with the battery, but the W211 had turbo issues, and other annoying niggles.

Even today, our new C220d had a small electronic glitch with the passenger seatbelt sensor, and tons of rattles that were sorted out recently. All in less than 5,000kms. Hope they don't come up again.
Plus, the 3 series has a much more sorted suspension - the C is just too stiff!

That being said, the C feels a segment higher than any of it's competitors in the feel good factor. Similarly, there is no going around the fact that the E Class LWB trumps the G30 5 series as far as chauffeur driven experience is concerned (though I was not impressed with the ride of the E, and I am sure there will be rattles from the sunroof).
Eventually it boils down to what people want, and as we see in the mass market with the success of Hyundai - it's the feel good factor that is a key driver!

Even with the new X3, 5 series, 6 series, 7 series, etc. - I doubt BMW would be able to give Mercedes a run for their money.

EDIT: Waiting to try out a couple of these new BMWs myself - waiting for the discount bonanza to start.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 17:18   #163
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Jaguar-Land Rover shares its numbers. A distant 4th (behind Mercedes, BMW & Audi):

Quote:
Jaguar Land Rover India today announced a growth of 45 percent in volume for the first nine months of the calendar year 2017. 2,942 units sold during this period
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 18:35   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Jaguar-Land Rover shares its numbers. A distant 4th (behind Mercedes, BMW & Audi):
Given it's dismal presence + higher prices (till recently) + limited product portfolio - it's not a bad job at all!
Wonder if these buyers will stick around after they experience the famed JLR service quality (or if it will be a repeat of the Skoda story).
Old 4th January 2018, 10:30   #165
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Audi announced its annual deliveries in the Indian market for 2017 at 7876 units (2% YOY growth). This year also marked the completion of ten years of the four rings in India.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks