Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2015, 08:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Toyota offers piece of mind but at a price. Coming from an owner of the fortuner yes it is over priced and features are very basic but before
Exactly same scenario with my sister. They sold off their trusty 6 year old Innova and went for the XUV5OO. This was in early 2012 when there was a mad rush for XUV and cars were getting allotted through lottery system. The honeymoon period was over within first few months and the with multiple issues like PS failure in crowded market, gear box replacement etc she sold it off and went for a Fortuner. She said selling the Innova was the biggest mistake they ever did.

Once burnt, twice shy. Learning from the mistakes of my sister I didn't have the appetite to go for the XUV and settled for an Innova, albeit a preworshipped one.
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 10:42   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not blah, it's a fact. You'll see the new Innova at the Auto Expo 2016. The updates being discussed on this thread are probably the final ones for the current Innova.

However, what I've heard (rumoured, so can't confirm) is that Toyota might sell the old & new Innovas side by side. Current Innova = cheap variants for commercial operators. New Innova = More expensive, targeting the private owner (similar to Dzire Tour & 2nd-gen Dzire).
Agreed, but the prices of current Innova itself are so exorbitant that it is hitting the sky. Looks like Fortuner rates were increased so that the New Innova can be priced inbetween. Insane.
anup7649 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 10:47   #33
Team-BHP Support

Forget this Innova. The new 2016 all new Innova should be getting this 2.5L engine tune with 140BHP and needs an Automatic at any cost.

The Fortuner has gone up a segment and the all new one next year will probably be close to 40Lakhs looking at this trend.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 10:53   #34
BHPian

Still ONLY TWO airbags for the Fortuner and still no disc brakes in the rear,the Fortuner is pretty under equipped in terms of safety gear for the price.
Is the 4wd in the 4x4 A/T full-time or part time?
Old 7th January 2015, 10:55   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
It is not a mistake. It appears that 2.5 is being sold only with TRD kit and hence the higher price.
But is it not asking too much just for the TRD kit? I mean, the base 3.0l 2 wheel drive is cheaper than the 2.5l!! Is it not better to install a body kit aftermarket?

No use complaining of the prices-both will be top sellers in the market!
carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 11:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Exactly same scenario with my sister. They sold off their trusty 6 year old Innova and went for the XUV5OO. This was in early 2012 when there was a mad rush for XUV and cars were getting allotted through lottery system. The honeymoon period was over within first few months and the with multiple issues like PS failure in crowded market, gear box replacement etc she sold it off and went for a Fortuner. She said selling the Innova was the biggest mistake they ever did.

Once burnt, twice shy. Learning from the mistakes of my sister I didn't have the appetite to go for the XUV and settled for an Innova, albeit a preworshipped one.
Exact same here. Like your sister we got our Xuv allotted through lottery. First few months were honeymoon period. Wherever we went, we were able to catch lots of eyeballs. But after just a few months the car started to show its characters. Lots of niggles including AC failure,clutch plate wear,brake pad change and many more in the first year of ownership itself. Sold the car off and went for Innova. It's something you have to do if you want to run troublefree in day to day life. Xuv had a powerful engine and it was hood to drive in expressways for sure but reliability is one thing you can not compromise when you are spending well over 10L. Toyota has such reputation that is hard to beat. I don't see this changing, not in foreseeable future.
Carpainter is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 11:26   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ The 'The New 2016 Innova' is not going to be a refresh like this one. As per a birdy this is going to be a completly new model which may replace / launched parallel to Innova name.
Similar to how Qualis was replaced by Innova. Toyota is getting the production line up for the same, as per plans the model is supposed to hit market by end of this year.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 11:42   #38
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 7th January 2015 at 16:34.
Kn1ght1941 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th January 2015, 13:11   #39
BHPian

I think Toyota caters to a certain "demography" of customers who desire peace of mind above looks, features and everything else, and are willing (with a grimace maybe, but still) to pay a premium for it. I don't blame them. I would rather pay 16 L for a pre-owned Fortuner than a new XUV500 any day.

I am not happy about it, but Toyota's strategy is rational, and it makes sense to me. I just wish they would be a tad more aggressive with their product portfolio.

Mod Note: Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Last edited by GTO : 7th January 2015 at 16:36. Reason: No acronyms please
Old 7th January 2015, 13:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Exactly same scenario with my sister.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Exact same here. Like your sister we got our Xuv allotted through lottery.
Sorry for the troubles you folks faced. For me decision making was kinda easy. It was for my parents and reliability was a thing we really needed. We stay in coorg with the nearest dealerships a good 100 kms away. We have 2 mahindra jeeps and a bolero in our house but we know the build quality.

With the fortuner we faced 2 issues in the past 3 years.
1) Battery was dead as rats chewed the cables. Toyota folks reached home at 12am in the morning and fixed it in 2 hours. You read it right. They reached home at midnight to fix it. They drove 100 kms one way for this service. My family was surprisingly shocked, had to put the dogs in the kennel and made good fresh home made coffee from our estate for the 4 boys who showed up.

2) Battery drained again. Happened last week. We replaced the battery with our jeeps and went to the dealership to get this issue resolved.

Leaving it all in our family loves it. The only trouble we have is finding parking in our small town.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 13:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

I would go for the Fortuner Automatic 4X4 with my eyes closed considering the quality of service and reliability it offers, budget permitting of course. Over the last year my Fiat has cost me 20k in service/repairs, considering the resale value of a Punto, that is just money down the drain. The Fortuner buyer is not throwing away money at any point, the resale takes care of the initial investment, even at these prices, and service/running costs are negligible when compared to vehicle cost. Toyota understands the market well, hence the 2.5L which should do for most customers.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 13:34   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been pestering my father to change our 8 year old, 1.4L kms run Innova with something new now. Reading all the posts here and seeing the costs of the new Innova and Fortuner shoot up like crazy, I have seriously started questioning the logic of my actions. I should probably just keep driving this one till the horizon.

With the new prices the above rumor looks more than a rumor now that Toyota will keep selling the current Innova and position the new one between the current one and the Fortuner at around 20L!
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 13:45   #43
BHPian

Seems like Toyota has silently discontinued the petrol Innova.
wheeledsoul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 14:24   #44
BHPian

While I agree that we could pay a premium for peace of mine, there's a distinct line between offering a premium vehicle and price-gouging. What Toyota is doing is the latter. With no competitors in sight and the ones that are aspiring to get there squarely shooting themselves in the face (hello Mahindra!), this is the monopoly run. Not to mention that even some of the competition is pushing their clients to Toyota with their terribly ugly product (er.. Enjoy / Evalia). While all that is explained as "this is just business, deal with it", Indian customers are a vengeful lot. Toyota better remember that.

I think once the new Endeavour and maybe the next gen Hyundai's get into the playground, this may stop. As of now, it's just time to watch the customer being taken for a ride, albeit a safe and trouble-free one.
Mad Max is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 15:12   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
While I agree that we could pay a premium for peace of mine, there's a distinct line between offering a premium vehicle and price-gouging. With no competitors in sight and the ones that are aspiring to get there squarely shooting themselves in the face (hello Mahindra!),

Ha ha ha ha . They are really shooting themselves in the face man! Couldn't stop laughing at that one. But you've hit it on the dot. What the other players are apparently failing to see is a very simple point. Everyone wants the company to make money but the way Toyota is doing it it pretty simple. And commanding a premium for is well! They do not go by the la carte bells and whistles way(Hyundai), or mediocre build quality and performance or by any other cheap gimmick. They do so by offering the customer something very basic, fundamental yet most important. A car which has rock solid legendary reliability backed up by honest and great after sales which doesn't burn your pocket badly every time you see the dealerships face. And the Indian customer is willing to pay up a premium for that. That should ring some bells for the 'face shooters' but either they can't match the engineering brilliance of Toyota or maybe they just don't subscribe to the idea. Either ways, Toyota is the one laughing all the way to the bank, and the buyers are happy too.

Last edited by GTO : 7th January 2015 at 16:38. Reason: Fixing quote
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks