Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2015, 09:34   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The all black interiors are the biggest plus I guess.
True, thats the only positive I could see. This probably is the arrogance from lack of competition. Looking forward to see how Ford will place the new Everest/Endeavour. They got a real opportunity in this segment.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 09:53   #62
Team-BHP Support

I'm a bit lost here. Is the new 2.5L costlier than the old 3L engine? I don't see any reason to consider the Innova engine'd version. Or am I missing something?
Old 8th January 2015, 09:55   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm a bit lost here. Is the new 2.5L costlier than the old 3L engine? I don't see any reason to consider the Innova engine'd version. Or am I missing something?
Yup it's priced above the 3L!!! The reason is because the 2.5L is being portrayed as a sporty version with the TRD Sportivo kit which prices it above the 3L non Sportivo model. LOL.

Frankly speaking, I don't know what to make of this strategy.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 10:03   #64
Senior - BHPian

I agree with most of them that both the Innova and grossly over priced.

There is nothing which puts the ball in Toyota's court. The vehicle has been designed ages ago, it is not the most refined, not the most powerful, not the safest... so there is absolutely nothing which justifies this price.

Plus, the reliability factor has been way overhyped!
Old 8th January 2015, 10:12   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Shocked!

I can think of only one reason. Toyota thinks the target market for the Fortuner is those people who prefer the 'looks'.

A smaller engine + more bling and chrome = more value at the same price.

Except for a few BHP'ians- I won't be surprised if this 'sporty' version starts selling more than the regular 3L. If the 2.5L returns a better FE figure- then the 3L sales might even go for a toss!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th January 2015 at 10:14.
Old 8th January 2015, 10:17   #66
BHPian

By this logic, I can actually buy 3 different cars in the 10-12L range spread over a period of several years by selling the old one. That way one can even get to enjoy newer cars over this period of time. What say?
aerohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 10:18   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The reason is because the 2.5L is being portrayed as a sporty version with the TRD Sportivo kit which prices it above the 3L non Sportivo model. LOL.

Even with the side cladding, rear & front bumper skirts and roof spoiler which makes up the "TRD Sportivo" Kit, the 3.0L 2WD and A/T variants would be only around 75,000 more than the 2.5L 2WD and A/T variants.

Skewed pricing strategy, to echo you, but IMO Toyota might get away with it. There is a niche- within- niche comprising urban SUV users who might find the 2.5L more than adequate for city use.

Like many of the fellow members here, I too wish they offered the Innova with the 2.5L AT combination instead. But the vehicle is at the end of its life cycle, and a 2.5L AT D4D Innova shall murder the Corolla Altis (Diesel) so that is just a wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
By this logic, I can actually buy 3 different cars in the 10-12L range spread over a period of several years by selling the old one.
Almost correct you are, Sir!

Consider this: My 2007 Verna SX ABS with around 55k on the clock is being offered just 2.75Lakhs, whereas my Innova G4 of similar vintage which costed almost the same as the Verna when new fetched 6.5L even with 1.05Lakh km on the clock. And my 2009 Scorpio M Hawk VLX (first M Hawk version with the "skin disease" sticker) got 5.05 Lakhs.

At least in my part of the country, the Innova, the Swift and the Dzire are perhaps the only vehicles which you can sell without too much loss.

Last edited by Yeldo : 8th January 2015 at 10:34.
Yeldo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 10:26   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Shocked!

I can think of only one reason. Toyota thinks the target market for the Fortuner is those people who prefer the 'looks'.

A smaller engine + more bling and chrome = more value at the same price.

Except for a few BHP'ians- I won't be surprised if this 'sporty' version starts selling more than the regular 3L. If the 2.5L returns a better FE figure- then the 3L sales might even go for a toss!
Another reason that I can think of is if Toyota is planning to discontinue 4x2 models with 3.0L engine. If that happens then it makes sense. 4x2 models with 2.5L engine and 4x4 models with 3.0 engine. There is enough price difference between 4x2 and 4x4 models.

Regarding the looks, the reality is that most of the people buy 4x2 fortuner as opposed to 4x4. I personally believe if one is buying a 4x2 SUV, they are buying it for the looks otherwise Innova can do whatever 4x2 Fortuner can.
hondadude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 16:06   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Is the Innova ever going to be offered in Automatic?
Hi beejay,

I have seen Toyota Innvova with automatic transmission in Bangkok, Thailand as I had hired the same for my day to day commute...

Picture from google images
2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-toyotainnovafacelift6.jpg
embee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 21:19   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Looking forward to see how Ford will place the new Everest/Endeavour. They got a real opportunity in this segment.
vb-san, Ford India's management have not really demonstrated a great deal of wisdom or business acumen for that matter. Look at the entire fiasco around Ford EcoSport and the historic "missed opportunities" there. I would not really worry about the New Endeavour, if I was Toyota. A great product, but Toyota would be ready with the new Innova and Fortuner by the time it would be launched.

Other than that, there is only Lodgy, and Renault has hopefully sorted out the rusting issues.

There is the new Eritga but that is in a segment soon to be vacated by Innova.

There isn't really any other competition worth its name in the horizon.

I would watch this with a lot of interest.
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 21:35   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
vb-san, Ford India's management have not really demonstrated a great deal of wisdom or business acumen for that matter. Look at the entire fiasco around Ford EcoSport and the historic "missed opportunities" there. I would not really worry about the New Endeavour, if I was Toyota. A great product, but Toyota would be ready with the new Innova and Fortuner by the time it would be launched.
True, going by way Ford manage their new car launches, its quite possible that they unveil the car sometime this year and launch it a year or two later. Good for them, if they do something differently this time.
Old 9th January 2015, 22:54   #72
Senior - BHPian

How about VSC ? Do the 2.5L models feature VSC?
Old 10th January 2015, 02:46   #73
BHPian

Toyota strategy seems to in line with their proposed new launch. When they launch the new Innova in 2016, its pricing should neatly sit in between the Innova and the Fortuner.

May be they will shave off the 'Z' variant of the regular Innova. I wonder what stops Toyota from bringing in the Avanza in India. With the kind of reputation big 'T' holds in the MUV market, the Avanza could prove to be a trouble for Ertiga/Mobilio/Enjoy etc and it will slot in the same budget as well.
Old 10th January 2015, 11:00   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
How about VSC ? Do the 2.5L models feature VSC?
As per the specifications VSC is available only in 4x4 models
Old 10th January 2015, 11:15   #75
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 12th January 2015 at 14:41.
rajneeesh is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks