Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2015, 11:21   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)

This line of arguement or can I call it Wishlist has been repeated dozens of times before. Lets just accept that the difference between Toyota and Tata currently in terms of reliability and rock solid after sales is gigantic. So in all practicality the Safari Storme can never be a worthy challenger to the Innova in the current arena.

Last edited by GTO : 12th January 2015 at 14:41. Reason: Quoted post deleted :)
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 11:30   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
This line of arguement or can I call it Wishlist has been repeated dozens of times before. Lets just accept that the difference between Toyota and Tata currently in terms of reliability and rock solid after sales is gigantic. So in all practicality the Safari Storme can never be a worthy challenger to the Innova in the current arena.
Well, a lot of people used to say that about Hyundai in the US about 15 years back. Today Hyundai is giving a lot of headache to Toyota in that market and the Sonata and the Elantra are selling very well.

Tata Motors has the basic product which needs to be improved. With the technical expertise from JLR and some consultants they can do this. They have made major improvements with the Zest and they should continue to put their head down and keep at it. If Storme is 85 % as good as the Fortuner ( which has some major short comings for a vehicle costing Rs.25 Lakhs +), the huge price difference will make a lot of people gravitate towards the Storme. It may start slowly but with time the positive word of mouth from the users/owners, it will help change the image of company and its products in minds of prospective buyers.
Old 10th January 2015, 11:50   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Well, a lot of people used to say that about Hyundai in the US about 15 years back. Today Hyundai is giving a lot of headache to Toyota in that market and the Sonata and the Elantra are selling very well.
It may start slowly but with time the positive word of mouth from the users/owners, it will help change the image of company and its products in minds of prospective buyers.
I am not denying your argument that Tata can at some point of time give Toyota a run for its money. Infact I wish that day comes soon. But as you yourself say, these kind of changes can't happen overnight. So I repeat, with the current arrangement in place and the gap that exists between the 2 brands, the Storme can never pose a threat to Toyota Innova, forget the Fortuner. 5 years down the line hopefully yes but by that time who knows where the market will be. To assume or expect it to happen in the present is just wishful thinking.
Old 10th January 2015, 14:00   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am not denying your argument that Tata can at some point of time give Toyota a run for its money. Infact I wish that day comes soon. But as you yourself say, these kind of changes can't happen overnight. So I repeat, with the current arrangement in place and the gap that exists between the 2 brands, the Storme can never pose a threat to Toyota Innova, forget the Fortuner. 5 years down the line hopefully yes but by that time who knows where the market will be. To assume or expect it to happen in the present is just wishful thinking.
You are right that it will not be a threat. However, it will offer an option to the buyers in the segment. This may be similar to the Ciaz or the Verna trailing the City in term of sales , but people altleast have an alternative. Such competition may force Toyota to think about its pricing policy.

I for one am looking for a replacement for my SX4 and the Storme ( upgraded version ) will be in my consideration set ( if they price it right and improve the interiors, the ice and give some safety equipment). The Fortuner is simly not a part of my consideration set as it is priced way too high.

I will probably not buy the vehicle as soon as it is launched , but maybe after 6-12 months post the launch after having got some feedback . I am sure That there are a lot of other people like me.
Old 10th January 2015, 20:02   #80
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks, some pictures of the new 4X4 Fortuner. These were clicked at the dealer when I took BOSS for 15k service!!2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420900259.574405.jpg2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420900273.648604.jpg2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420900288.006301.jpg2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420900302.230657.jpg2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420900316.554799.jpg2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420900329.644202.jpg2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420900343.335398.jpg2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420900355.274459.jpg2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420900377.250509.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420900237.932694.jpg  

getsurya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 22:06   #81
BHPian

Pics of All new Innova I could click at a Toyota Dealership in Kerala. That's all the changes I could spot. Of course it will be shameful to call it all new. Perhaps this is the last refresh before the next "All New" hits sometime early next year or late this year.
Attached Thumbnails
2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-1420907915013.jpg  

2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-1420907940451.jpg  

2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-1420907953077.jpg  

2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-1420907967983.jpg  

2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-1420907981383.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th January 2015 at 07:21. Reason: post merged
mroptimist is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 23:31   #82
BHPian

Magwheels remind of the Verna 2014. Hope they would also add some 50 odd horses or so at least to make a more exciting highway runner and also throw in projector headlamps and led lights all around to justify a proper new "variant" as they call it... At least for the top end variant. After sucking the poor customers blood I think they owe them at least this much for a change. But going by the way no manufacturer wants to give back even as a goodwill gesture, all this is just daydreaming.....
Old 12th January 2015, 12:03   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
With the kind of reputation big 'T' holds in the MUV market, the Avanza could prove to be a trouble for Ertiga/Mobilio/Enjoy etc and it will slot in the same budget as well.
Given the profit appetite of Toyota, it would mean that Avanza would be priced at 12-13 lacs ex showroom, in addition to features lesser than Ertiga, which would again prove to be a sales dud like Etios and Liva. Since Innova itself is sparse on features, There is no way, that Avanza would be feature rich.
Old 12th January 2015, 13:06   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder what stops Toyota from bringing in the Avanza in India. With the kind of reputation big 'T' holds in the MUV market, the Avanza could prove to be a trouble for Ertiga/Mobilio/Enjoy etc and it will slot in the same budget as well.
If Avanza is available at same price as Ertiga etc, who will buy the Innova? Quite a large percentage of Innova buyers are cabbies and I think they would simply shift to Avanza from Innova. In the end, it may not make any difference to Toyota in terms of profits because whatever profits Avanza sales bring in would be negated by loss of Innova sales.
Old 13th January 2015, 09:07   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi folks, some pictures of the new 4X4 Fortuner. These were clicked at the dealer when I took BOSS for 15k service!!Attachment 1326043Attachment 1326045Attachment 1326046Attachment 1326047Attachment 1326048Attachment 1326050Attachment 1326051Attachment 1326052Attachment 1326053
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Pics of All new Innova I could click at a Toyota Dealership in Kerala. That's all the changes I could spot. Of course it will be shameful to call it all new. Perhaps this is the last refresh before the next "All New" hits sometime early next year or late this year.
Refreshed up Innova and Fortuner to bring in few more extra sales for Toyota this year before the new shape vehicles come in.

I don't think we can call then All New Innova and New 4wd Fortuner, as they are current generation and not the new shape.
Old 13th January 2015, 19:30   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
If Avanza is available at same price as Ertiga etc, who will buy the Innova? Quite a large percentage of Innova buyers are cabbies and I think they would simply shift to Avanza from Innova. In the end, it may not make any difference to Toyota in terms of profits because whatever profits Avanza sales bring in would be negated by loss of Innova sales.
I agree with what you are saying but partially. It might turn out to be a gamble. I have spoken to a few fleet operators and they were pretty stubborn about the Innova. They weren't interested in any other offering like the Enjoy/Evalia or even the Ertiga. Primary reason being the customers voice, they say the Innova demands premium rates over the other cabs just because most customer ask for them. And that trend wont change soon, for most aam aadmi Innova is a benchmark in the cab-world just like the Volvos. Avanza being considerably smaller and cheaper would appeal the private buyers who dont want to lug around a barge every time. However the pricing will play a big deal.

Like you said there will be some erosion from the Innova pie, but sure it will bring in some numbers from the Ertiga and the Mobilio market. This is the strategy that Maruti employs in the Hatch segment no ? They have product overlaps but at the end of the day majority of the Hatch customers sign the cheque in MSIL showrooms

VIOS, Yaris, Avanza are 3 awesome products that TKM can bring to India, but looks like they don't care. Or they are making too much money already
Old 13th January 2015, 23:53   #87

As we know, the way Toyota modeled the butch looking Fortuner from the fair performing Hilux and its resonance observed in the world market is a jaw dropping story. Though it is sold mostly for the aesthetic pleasure it renders, Fortuner still continues to be one of the most abused SUV's in the world for its high 'off-roading skills/price' value. But yeah, that hardly holds good for India where its success is unanimously gifted by its rivals.

While enjoying the huge lead in the 20L+ category with its reliability wild card and rugged feel giving looks, Toyota is seemingly all set to tap it to the fullest with the introduction of 2.5litre variant for a conscious market like India with a third eye dedicated for fuel economy figures.

No wonder the 2.5litre variant is priced above the 3.0litre base model with the TRD gimmick which is solely for the potential buyers with bent eyebrows.

I know it's a ruthless presumption but, the only people who may secretly enjoy fireworks in their mind for the news are the existing customers only, especially those with the face-lifted models as it will assure better resale prices.
roaddler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 23:57   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VIOS, Yaris, Avanza are 3 awesome products that TKM can bring to India, but looks like they don't care. Or they are making too much money already
When you have two segment leading vehicles in Innova and Fortuner, why would you join the rat race of small & compact cars?

Stick to milking the customer with the segment leaders and keep laughing all the way to the bank!

Maybe Toyota wants to keep away from the conjugated segments and just keep improving its products in the segments its leading.

I am of the opinion that Toyota will keep the current existing Innova along with the New Innova. It's similar to what other OEMs have done in India,
1. Maruti has both old and new Dezire selling together,
2. Hyundai had the original Accent and renamed Verna selling along side each other,
3. Tata has both Safari and Storme selling side by side,
4. Ford renamed old Fiesta as Classic when the New Fiesta was launched,

There are many other examples of vehicles of old and new generation selling along side each other, so it will not be a surprise if we see both old and new Innova sold side by side.

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th January 2015 at 02:17. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 17:39   #89
BHPian

I had a visit to their stockyard today and saw the Innova GX trim. There are only three changes in that trim that I could make of.

1. Passenger side airbag with seatbelt warning light
2. New interior colour with black dashboard top and steering
3. Third row A/C vents (I don't know if previously it was there or not)

With these there are two new exterior colours available now. The metallic bronze one as we all know and black. Yes black on Innova is back or so the sales guy said.

2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-innova1.jpg

2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-innova3.jpg
The picture is not doing justice here. The colour looks more darker in person than it looks here.

2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-innova4.jpg

2015: The updated Innova and Fortuner (now with a 2.5L variant)-innova5.jpg
Carpainter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 19:54   #90
BHPian

I was hoping for a new front grille in the Innova but disappointed to see the old ones are still there. The previous version front grille was simple and elegant. No matter how it looks or how much it costs people will buy it since Innova is synonymous with reliability.

Most Viewed