Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 18:30   #16
BHPian

Re: December 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Well it seems the ZEST buzz is already on the decline.
How i wish if the point put forward in above posts related to supply chain constraints is true and Zest manages a consistent 4k-5k numbers.
(seems unlikely though)
I personally feel , TATAs have to really slug it out.
They have to be content with these numbers and keep churning out decently better VFM cars(compared to segment competition).
They have to keep bringing newer cars to the market one after the another.

I hope that JLR revenues will keep them sufficiently profitable for them to sustain all the investment on newer models.

They have only themselves to blame for the situation.
They have been too lethargic to bring newer things to the market.

Last edited by madhu33 : 6th January 2015 at 18:32.
Old 6th January 2015, 18:42   #17
BHPian

An Interesting thing, Renault Duster + Nissan Terrano is at 4739, which is greater than the new face-lifted M&M Scorpio @ 3469 and Ford EcoSport @ 3365. So looks like the Renault-Nissan Alliance is enjoying the sales figure and with Lodgy in the pipeline things are looking only to move forward for this JV

Last edited by GTO : 7th January 2015 at 16:15. Reason: No acronyms when referring to cars please (e.g. ES)
soumobakshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 18:57   #18
BHPian

Numbers bring up some interesting facts - like Maruti Suzuki sold more made-to-order Gypsys (894) than the entire sales of Fiats (803)?
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 19:33   #19
BHPian

I agree that the Tata Zest is a really good car with excellent features for that price. Various reviews, especially the fantastic one from team-bhp, confirm that.

However, I have always been maintaining that Tata has a bad image/perception problem. It started with the Indica, continued on to Manza, and then to the Nano, due to different reasons that most are already familiar. And a bad image takes years to be corrected, without affording any chances of a goof up during this period.

Image is like your bank balance - it takes hard work to build it, but can be lost quickly. Those who already have a great image (read Maruti) can afford to make a few mistakes and get away with it, but not Tata. Its sad, but if Maruti had brought out something similar, it would have sold in 5 digit numbers.
PearlJam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 19:43   #20
BHPian

Well, I am happy to see that Ertiga is outselling the Mobilio. Looks like the H badge can't work its charm in every segment. I always considered the Ertiga to be a well-rounded and much better looking car than Mobilio, which is simply an over hyped estate car that likes to call itself a "seven seater".
captain.torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 19:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Image is like your bank balance - it takes hard work to build it, but can be lost quickly.
Well said! When you get a good start, you must capitalized on it and deliver as many as possible. Nothing changes perception more than seeing a lot of cars on road. Either Tata failed to deliver enough cars or they never got those many bookings. In any case they are fighting a tough battle and unless they move quickly Zest will soon join its other siblings at around 2000 levels.

I am surprized for Scorpio as well. It's going down for last 4 months and at a very fast pace - 6000 to 5000 to 4000 to 3500 in 4 months! That when the older model was averaging around 4000 and there were rave reviews for the new one. Does anybody know what's happening here?

Last edited by satishchugh : 6th January 2015 at 19:50. Reason: typo correction
satishchugh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 21:05   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprises in store:

- No Tata car in the Top 20
- The Scorpio loses its former grip on the market, while the Bolero further consolidates its position with 3748 more units.
- Hyundai Santro sales fall to one and is to be rested in peace
- Ford Figo sales fall and this car is also on the way out.

The Top Gainers list includes the Bolero, Dzire and Amaze which have posted gains based on market fundamentals. While the temporary gains posted by the Safari Storme, Gypsy (Defence orders), Xylo and Rapid make us giggle as these could be short lived and fleeting, with no market fundamentals favouring a better demand in their favour.

The Tata Zest speaks poorly about Tata's marketing. It has a waiting list and the production is not being ramped up.

The Top 20 has ten entrants from Maruti, four from Hyundai, two each from Mahindra and Honda with one each from Toyota and Ford.

Marutis feat with Ten on the Top 20 makes me remember my schooldays. We were two brothers studying in the same school. Our Dad met the Principal, did the formalities and got admitted our third brother, who is five years younger to me. The school clerk upon learning this remarked "How many more Chatterjee's?"

For MSIL the apt poser can now be "How many more Marutis?"

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 6th January 2015 at 21:12.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 21:10   #23
BHPian

Ciaz numbers are almost half of that of City. Probably the perception of the market has not changed. Another reason could be a bit disappointing engine.

Innova is ahead of new Scorpio by a good number. That's some feat from Toyota. Mahindra has fallen short this time with the new Scorpio. It failed to create the market buzz that previous Scorpio and Xuv did when they were launched.

Toyota is also the leader in the respective segment of Corolla and Fortuner. No doubt the most trusted brand in India.

Figo numbers are ridiculously down. As someone said, it looks like the new Figo is not too far away.

Now it looks like even in December'14 Maruti Omni is the 8th highest selling car in the market. What could be the reason. Is it because people at village and suburban areas still prefer Omni over other modern cars or something else. Personally I think this is not a good advertisement of our market. Our market always had a fascination for Ambassador. Looks like Omni is going that way and it is going to last long in the market. Just wonder what MS will do if ABS and airbags become standard in our market. And I hope this time the Government will not discriminate between tier 1,2,3 cities in safety measures like the BS3/BS4.

Zest numbers are not so good but I think Tata may not need to worry about it just now. Afterall, December use to be a dull month for car manufacturers.

VW numbers are showing the face of the company at the moment. Polo numbers are better YoY but should be more with new update and TSI/TDI. But Vento is facing the heat now and they need to do something serious to get it going. The competition is getting tougher day by day.

i10 grand and Elite i20 have become very successful. They are dominating their respective segments. Honda need to play the pricing cards well for their upcoming Jazz.
Carpainter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 21:21   #24
Team-BHP Support

Skoda's numbers are indeed getting from bad to worse. Take out the re-badged Vento (Rapid), and they have a combined figure of less than 200 between the Yeti, Octavia and Superb.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 22:07   #25
BHPian

Good show by Maruti. Except for Gypsy, all other models listed in the table are in the Top 20 list. They are putting up great fight to protect their turf. But they are not able to break the jinx in the C2 segment. It will be difficult to double the sale to beat Honda in the coming months. I don't believe they are having production or supply constraint. Most probably Ciaz sale will settle down in this range.

Hyundai continuing their good work and with compact SUV and cross to be launched, they will keep the market busy. However they desperately need to bring the Verna face lift at the earliest.

Mahindra back to third position with good showing. Hope they will continue to retain it in coming months.

Has been a good year for Honda. City has again proven to be a winner. Amaze had amazed every one by beating Tata Zest. The numbers are always oscillating for Amaze month on month and will not be surprised if some 2k+ is reported next month

Tata has claimed the fifth spot and most probably would continue to sustain it with launch of Bolt.

Seriously Toyota need to revamp their product portfolio, otherwise they will be like Renault with just two product success (Innova and Fortuner). Read in NDTV site that Vios might be launched in 2015. Not sure how true is this news.

For others another year has passed and still groping in the darkness and not able to find a good strategy for India.
Old 6th January 2015, 22:52   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
1) Ciaz

3xxx is practically 50% of the mighty City Sales.
Do we see another disappointment here?

Fail to understand if it is the perception alone that plays spoil sport between the City and the Ciaz.
Good views out there! Pavan-putra-hanuman!

No disappointment here for the Ciaz as I expect it to settle at 5K on an average. As there was a recall for the Ciaz recently, I guess the market will need a bit more of time to get the trust back in along with completion of the back-log of production that could have stalled for the Ciaz due to the recall.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 00:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Proper Sedan segment now is battle between City and Ciaz only. But going by Hyundai's recent moves i.e. Grand i10, Elite i20, we can expect improved Verna and if it creates an impact, we will have three companies battling rather than two.
Scala, Sunny, Fiesta, Linea, Vento and Rapid, all are so capable and are strongly built cars but looking like also ran.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 01:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
How i wish if the point put forward in above posts related to supply chain constraints is true and Zest manages a consistent 4k-5k numbers.
I have a feeling, in the case of Zest, demand is more for the AMT models, but there is a shortage for AMT kits. TML could have packaged the AMT model differently with more goodies at a higher price, so that people will consider non AMT models. The AMT situation may not get better in the near future.
Old 7th January 2015, 03:17   #29
BHPian

Hats off to MSIL !! Being the sales topper month after month is not an easy task ! And inspite of being on the top, it still has the best ASS. Hats off specially to the dzire, when it was launched, people hated it for the looks. But it still is and will always be (my guess) the segment leader in sub 4 metre compact sedans. And IMO the Dzire looks much better than its competition.
Rohitj92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 10:09   #30
BHPian

May be , please excuse me.

If you look at the manufacturers with highest market share, they have early mover advantage ( Maruti, Hundai, Honda, M & M) & built their ASS over the years and have understood the Indian market/psychology better.

Even within those, it's tough to break into other segments like Maruti has failed to get into Sedan segment with their efforts. Honda is entrenched as leader in that segment though Verna tried to break that until Honda came up with Diesel version & things were back to square 1 quickly.

Most of the leaders have a very good ASS which a normal buyer looks at for peaceful ownership.

Entry level barrier for new manufacturer is so high they don't want to invest and if they don't then they can't break into the established players pie. Also ASS strategy depends on success of a product and in this cut throat environment no one is sure if their product will succeed.

Unless something disruptive happens - I don't see this changing ever.

Thoughts ?
anand_hc is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed