Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2023, 21:50   #226
BHPian

Re: Petrol Pump scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
While returning from a long trip, Kannur to Bang, I stopped at Nayara in Hunsur for filling. The guy started to pump fuel and stopped at ~400 (note: not exactly at 400). I can't recall whether he had asked me initially about qty or not but I wanted a full tank. When I asked why he stopped, he said all locals fill up for 400 (which is a joke since card run 40-50 kms only) and I joked it would be over soon. Then many of them started talking about Delhi (DL plate) etc and when I saw the machine they were filling up. But while charging they asked me to pay Rs 400 + Rs 2750 even though as per my accurate calculations, the car could only take fuel for Rs 2750. This despite the meter reading was not exactly Rs 2750 (they were leaving the change for cheating me!). I protested and they started saying machine resets to 0 automatically etc. Basically, they had distracted me while conitnuing to fill up and asked for Rs 400 extra. I have tweeted to Nayara about this and they are investigating! The receipt given was on paper which also indicates fraud! I hope the pump keeps digital record and also CCTV cameras capture the readings! I was really pissed at this!
Another thing I noticed is that my car efficiency on highway seems to be lower by ~2-3 km/lt (15-16 kmpl swift petrol on long drive). Are people seeing lower fuel efficiency on Nayara fuel? I see decent efficiency when I fill at Essar in local drives (~12-13 kmpl). I believe earlier I have seen ever ~18 kmpl on long drive with higher load (~ 150 kg higher).
I have filled up multiple times from Nayara in the Northern region (read UP,MP,HR) and MH too on my last Gzp -> Hyd drive. Performance and average both were excellent.
However I have noticed that in the southern part of India, Nayara gets a lot of flak on Google. Not sure why is that but will try filling up next from Nayara here in Hyd and post the experience.
Old 28th May 2023, 11:39   #227
BHPian

Quote:
I stopped at Nayara in Hunsur for filling. The guy started to pump fuel and stopped at ~400 (note: not exactly at 400).
I had similar experience at the same Nayara fuel station at Hunsur.

I had stopped there specifically for family loo break while going from Bangalore. Thought of filling up the tank because of the fuel price difference once you cross the border.

Asked the attendent to fill FULL tank, which was only about 12 odd litres as per my calculation. To my suprise he stopped at 400.

This got my attention. Anyways, I always stand beside the car looking at the machine while fuel is being filled.

I told him that I mentioned full tank and not 400. Asking him to continue, I kept my focus on the filling machine and even though attendent was talking, I replied to him without taking my eyes off the machine.

He went on and filled 12.8L of fuel in total. He didn't attempt any of the 400 + 12.8L cost drama. Charged me 1129, the right amount on my card.

I asked him for receipt, he pointed to the printer part of the fuel machine and told it is not working. Since there was no scam attempt (may be because I was focused on the fuel machine), I left it there.

The fuel station name as per my credit card statement is 'Sri Basaveshwara fuels Hunsur'.

I had fallen pray to this scam long long ago. On a rainy morning 6am fuel fill on Mysore road near Nayandahalli. I was on my Bullet, I was well in to my reserve fuel, I was traveling to my home town and I was not a reader of This forum. I had no option other than giving in that time. It rained all the way till Mysore that day, I was fully drenched and very angry knowing that someone scammed me and I couldn't do anything at that time. More cautious now, hopefully will be able to keep these scammers at bay.

So, Nayara Hunsur, enters the 'avoid' list for highway fuel stations. Very bad for them - they have good space, had acceptably clean rest rooms and not much competition nearby (I guess). I will try IOC Gonikoppal next time, they seem to have extra green too as per IOC website.

Last edited by srikanthmadhava : 28th May 2023 at 12:00.
srikanthmadhava is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 11:45   #228
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this. There is another Nayara (converted Essar) just a couple of kms from this one if going towards Mysore. My plan was to fill at the other one but this seemed new so I thought would be better! I was tired from a long and delayed journey so they were able to distract me. Also my kid stepped out of car at the same time. I had lost my edge since I never had a problem filling in Bangalore for last 5 years. Earlier in Delhi you had to be a detective all the time! I fill at Essar in Bangalroe and they have been great. Even COCO sometimes.

It would be great if you could tweet your experience in reply to my complaint so that they actually fix the problem. I will dm you the link.

I think one just has to be on the toes whether it is Nayara or COCO, this could happen anywhere. I would love to contribute to a best practices list to avoid being duped in case we can create such a list for team-bhp (admins please let me know)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthmadhava View Post
I had similar experience at the same Nayara fuel station at Hunsur.

I had stopped there specifically for family loo break while going from Bangalore. Thought of filling up the tank because of the fuel price difference once you cross the border.

Asked the attendent to fill FULL tank, which was only about 12 odd litres as per my calculation. To my suprise he stopped at 400.

This got my attention. Anyways, I always stand beside the car looking at the machine while fuel is being filled.

I told him that I mentioned full tank and not 400. Asking him to continue, I kept my focus on the filling machine and even though attendent was talking, I replied to him without taking my eyes off the machine.

He went on and filled 12.8L of fuel in total. He didn't attempt any of the 400 + 12.8L cost drama. Charged me 1129, the right amount on my card.

I asked him for receipt, he pointed to the printer part of the fuel machine and told it is not working. Since there was no scam attempt (may be because I was focused on the fuel machine), I left it there.

The fuel station name as per my credit card statement is 'Sri Basaveshwara fuels Hunsur'.

I had fallen pray to this scam long long ago. On a rainy morning 6am fuel fill on Mysore road near Nayandahalli. I was on my Bullet, I was well in to my reserve fuel, I was traveling to my home town and I was not a reader of This forum. I had no option other than giving in that time. It rained all the way till Mysore that day, I was fully drenched and very angry knowing that someone scammed me and I couldn't do anything at that time. More cautious now, hopefully will be able to keep these scammers at bay.

So, Nayara Hunsur, enters the 'avoid' list for highway fuel stations. Very bad for them - they have good space, had acceptably clean rest rooms and not much competition nearby (I guess). I will try IOC Gonikoppal next time, they seem to have extra green too as per IOC website.
Old 8th June 2023, 18:22   #229
BHPian

Update: I finally got a refund from Nayara after continuously tweeting about the incident! They will also terminate the employment of the attendant.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this. There is another Nayara (converted Essar) just a couple of kms from this one if going towards Mysore. My plan was to fill at the other one but this seemed new so I thought would be better! I was tired from a long and delayed journey so they were able to distract me. Also my kid stepped out of car at the same time. I had lost my edge since I never had a problem filling in Bangalore for last 5 years. Earlier in Delhi you had to be a detective all the time! I fill at Essar in Bangalroe and they have been great. Even COCO sometimes.

It would be great if you could tweet your experience in reply to my complaint so that they actually fix the problem. I will dm you the link.

I think one just has to be on the toes whether it is Nayara or COCO, this could happen anywhere. I would love to contribute to a best practices list to avoid being duped in case we can create such a list for team-bhp (admins please let me know)!
heysac is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 10:33   #230
Team-BHP Support

THIS IS NOT A SCAM BUT...

I had to fill petrol in my ten year old Chevy Sail.

Attendant who was directing cars to the fuel pumps asked me if I want regular or premium.

I don't particularly care, as the price difference between the XP95 and regular is just a couple of rupees.
The premium pump was nearer, so I parked there and asked for 3000 worth of petrol.

He started filling up the fuel and I got down and realised one liter is Rs 160.

Looks like XP100 is getting popular and we will need to bear this in mind.

I reiterate this is not a scam but I lost money because of not realizing this and this post is only to warn others like me, who drive cars that don't have any need for this "special" fuel.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 12:15   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

I had to fill petrol in my ten year old Chevy Sail.

Attendant who was directing cars to the fuel pumps asked me if I want regular or premium.

I don't particularly care, as the price difference between the XP95 and regular is just a couple of rupees.
The premium pump was nearer, so I parked there and asked for 3000 worth of petrol.

He started filling up the fuel and I got down and realised one liter is Rs 160.

Looks like XP100 is getting popular and we will need to bear this in mind.

I reiterate this is not a scam but I lost money because of not realizing this and this post is only to warn others like me, who drive cars that don't have any need for this "special" fuel.
Thanks for pointing this out but I am more keen to know how the Chevy Sail performed after XP100
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 16:15   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

I would still call it a scam. The pump attendant is well aware the premium pump he was directing you to was XP100 and not XP95 and the price difference between the normal petrol and XP100 is huge enough for him to make a customer aware of it to and then let them decide.
I would be fine, if it was between XP95 and normal petrol. You were left short of around 10 litres at the end because he did not inform you of the cost.
Old 6th September 2023, 14:14   #233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Thanks for pointing this out but I am more keen to know how the Chevy Sail performed after XP100

Its a 10 year old Chevy Sail Uva with a 1.2 Liter NA Engine and 1.08 lakh kms.

It does not care what kind of petrol you put into it, it behaves basically the same.
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 17:51   #234

On January 17th, 2024, I visited an Indian Oil petrol pump near Wadgaon Sheri in Pune.

I explicitly requested ₹420 worth of petrol, and the attendant acknowledged my request.

He initially filled ₹120 worth of petrol and stopped, prompting me to make a payment. I reiterated my request for ₹420, and he continued filling the tank from the previous reading, reaching ₹300 before stopping again and claiming it was full.

Suspicious of his actions, I dismounted my bike and raised my voice, explaining to the manager (who was coincidentally nearby) that the attendant was continuing the previous reading and pressuring me to pay.

The manager intervened, calming me down and instructing the attendant to complete the requested fuel amount.

It appeared the attendant attempted to distract me by inquiring about my payment method and promoting the Indian Oil app for rewards and free petrol. However, I remained vigilant and monitored the meter, catching his attempt to shortchange me.

Remember to stay alert and always keep an eye on the meter while refueling.
pandu1564 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 16:49   #235
BHPian

Another kind of scam is happening at petrol bunks, while we are focused on the petrol filling. It happened to me today at Indian oil petrol bunk near the Whitefield Honda showroom (it's on the same side of road as Honda showroom).

I went to left side of the car, closer to the petrol pump; observed closely while filling, did payment and came to the right side of the car (driver's side). A guy was standing there trying to sell me scratch removal kit, telling me that it can remove scratches by pointing me to a 1.5 cm wide and 5 cm long light black scrubbed scratch on the right side fender of my new orange colour car.

I felt furious and immediately asked him if had done that, because I had cleaned the car myself today morning before starting for the office with microfiber cloth without leaving a single droplet of water. That scratch was not there in the morning and didn't touch anything on the road, how else would it happen?

His immediate response was asking me to check the camera, pointing to the dashcam in my car. His awareness that my car has a dashcam proved me that he knows what he is doing and he's well prepared for the allegation. (How can the front camera see the side body of the car? And there are no cc cameras in the petrol bunk, as it's being built new or under renovation)

I parked the car far away from him and went to see the petrol bunk manager, explained to him what happened and to another petrol pump attendant. Initially they said that he is not our guy, no cc cameras because it's new and under construction; but later moved towards him saying that they will give a warning to him, when I told them how I can come here next time if such things are happening.

The manager ordered him to remove the scratch; the attendant was playing dual role shouting that guy and at the same time telling me that he wouldn't do such things. That guy was still trying to do business with me for selling the kit. I left the place with a bad experience and without getting the scratch removed (because I already have that same kit bought at another IOCL bunk earlier and I know that stain removal liquid will do more damage to the paint if rubbed a little hard / unevenly; I wouldn't trust that guy to do it carefully.)

So, the lesson learnt is to be attentive not just for the petrol pump attendant but also need to keep an eye for anyone else coming closer to the car at petrol bunks.
nreddy is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 11:39   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nreddy View Post
I went to left side of the car, closer to the petrol pump; observed closely while filling, did payment and came to the right side of the car (driver's side).
I used to do that earlier, but if the petrol nozzle is clearly visible and the 0 is visible I dont get out since I can monitor the car best from driver's seat.

Also when you get out at petrol bunk you mostly don't lock the car, and it's here that your valuables left in the open are vulnerable.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th February 2024 at 13:58. Reason: Typos.
silverado is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 13:31   #237
BHPian

These touts selling scratch-removal kits, lubricants, etc at petrol pumps has become an ultra-common sight in Mumbai. Then there are those who want you to share your contact details for lucky draws, etc. There are times when I have literally been harangued by some of these morons. I used to waste my time by giving them a piece of my mind earlier, but I quickly realised that just feigning a phone call and/or just royally ignoring them works the best! I would never let any of these untrained idiots come close to my car at all; let alone touch it with some alleged scratch-remover.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 16:45   #238
phi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I used to do that earlier, but if the petrol nozzle is clearly visible and the 0 is visible I dont get out since I can monitor the car best from driver's seat.

Also when you get out at petrol bunk you mostly don't lock the car, and it's here that your valuables left in the open are vulnerable.
A few years back, after refueling my i20, a fuel attendant assured me everything was set, and I was good to go. However, a week later, upon visiting a different fuel station for my next refueling, I discovered that the previous attendant hadn't replaced the fuel cap before closing the lid. I had unknowingly been driving around for a week with an open fuel tank! When I returned to the initial station to politely inquire about my fuel cap, they denied any such oversight occurred. Consequently, I couldn't use my car for three weeks as I awaited a replacement cap from the Hyundai service center.

After this incident, I started getting out of the car and staying near the fuel inlet. My other car (Kodiaq) has a fuel cap tie, but it has become a habit, irrespective of the car.

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th February 2024 at 16:48. Reason: Spell.
phi is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 17:06   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nreddy View Post
Another kind of scam is happening at petrol bunks, while we are focused on the petrol filling. It happened to me today at Indian oil petrol bunk near the Whitefield Honda showroom (it's on the same side of road as Honda showroom).
Are you referring to the petrol pump on ITPL road just after Singayyanapalya metro station, towards KR Puram?

This is (or at least was) an IOCL COCO and my previously regular spot. I stopped going there because they would deny having Xtragreen diesel whenever you go, not sure why. Plus they started giving excuses for accepting cards. But what you're saying is a new low even by petrol pump standards and appalling for a COCO.

You must register a complaint on this with the Indian Oil directly.
Old 26th February 2024, 17:42   #240
BHPian

Scam attempted: Failed.
Location : Sukhwani Petroleum(Indian Oil Petrol Pump) , Wakad , Pune

Was at the above mentioned pump to tank up.

The car in front had filled for 500 and had left. I had pulled the lever and was walking towards the lid when the attendant acted as if he had filled some fuel and was waiting for my input. I ignored it and then asked him to do a tankful until auto cut off.

Once the cut off happened, he coolly took out his calculator and added the full tank amount and 500 and i immediately asked if he was adding 500 as tips ?
He said "nahi sir ,aapke diesel ka hai".
I said "itna diesel tho gaadi mein bhi nahi hai".

But he kept on saying its mine . And i said "andar se bill leke ayiye" so that i can have a look at the time and that is when he cracked and said "haan sir pehle gaadi ka hai".

I did not pursue the matter further and left it there as it was late in the night.
callmeneo is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks