Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2015, 18:07   #1
Team-BHP Support

Maruti Alto: Best-selling small car in the world

That Maruti Suzuki Alto hatchback has been the best-selling car in India since nine years. However, India is not the only market where the Alto has made an impression. It is also the best-selling small car in the world.

Maruti sold 2,64,544 units of the Alto in 2014, beating the Volkswagen Golf and Daihatsu Tanto, which managed a total of 2,55,044 and 2,34,456 units respectively. While it is at the top spot, the Alto's sales have been falling over the years. In 2011, more than 3,00,000 units of the car were sold and in 2013, the number stood at 2,65,777. However, with the addition of the new K10 model and automated manual transmission, the car could see a growth in 2015.

The list of top sellers also includes the Maruti Swift (2,02,831 units) at number 6, Fiat Palio at number 7 and Suzuki Wagon R (1,75,369 units) at number 10. The Honda Fit (known as the Jazz in India) lies at number 5 with 2,02,838 units sold in the year.

The most impressive growth rate was recorded by the Daihatsu Tanto. The car's sales stood at 2,34,456 units - a jump of more than 60% over the previous years.

Brazil's best-selling car for 25 years, the Volkswagen Gol fell below its main rival, the Fiat Palio. The car's sales dropped by almost 30% to 1,83,366 units.

Source: Hindustan Times

Last edited by Aditya : 14th January 2015 at 14:49.
Aditya is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 18:33   #2
BHPian

Woohoo, Proud to own one. Not a single A.S.S visit in 8 years!! (Other than regular scheduled service). It has served me so well all these years!

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2015 at 13:03. Reason: Removing special characters that aren't compatible with our software
Abhiram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 21:12   #3

re: Maruti Alto: Best-selling small car in the world

Somehow it seems Japan really likes boxy cars. Of the top 5 cars in Japan, per this report, 3 are like square on wheels. I've attached pics below.

I wonder why? When I read up online (mostly wikipedia), one reason seems to be a category in Japan called Kei Cars oror K Cars, which includes small cars, minivans etc. These are small cars designed to meet insurance and legal regulations and improve tax benefits. (Like the sub 4 meter sedans here in India?) I mean it still doesn't explain why they have to be boxy though.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Alto: Best-selling small car in the world-2013suzukiwagonr.jpg  

Maruti Alto: Best-selling small car in the world-daihatsu_tanto_01.jpg  

Maruti Alto: Best-selling small car in the world-hondanboxjapanmay2012a.jpg  

CaptainSlow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 03:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
Somehow it seems Japan really likes boxy cars. Of the top 5 cars in Japan, per this report, 3 are like square on wheels. I've attached pics below.

I wonder why? When I read up online (mostly wikipedia), one reason seems to be a category in Japan called Kei Cars oror K Cars, which includes small cars, minivans etc. These are small cars designed to meet insurance and legal regulations and improve tax benefits. (Like the sub 4 meter sedans here in India?) I mean it still doesn't explain why they have to be boxy though.
I believe boxy design maximizes the interior space in terms of headroom and cargo capacity.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2015 at 13:04. Reason: Typo
Superleggera is offline   (6) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 14th January 2015, 08:38   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Somehow it seems Japan really likes boxy cars.

I mean it still doesn't explain why they have to be boxy though.
Our market too likes the tall-boy designs.

What these kind of design's do is maximise the space inside and also give a sense of spaciousness. The green house effect is high making the occupants feel better without any sense of congestion. Tall body means maximum space vertically too for luggage loading.

Instead of longer horizontally, these designs do it longitudinally at a shorter length.

Look at WagonR, Santro for the kind of space, confort they offer versus the sedans (or pseudo-sedans) that are on offer.

I'll give you my own example,

Initially I used to drive the Ritz (3 years living with it) which is a tall-boy deisgn that gets good space width-wise as well as height wise. I never felt that I am in a hatchback. Ingress/Egress was effortless - just walking in and out, luggage stacking too wasn't an issue at all. Now I have migrated to the Swift but have sacrificed on the space both width-wise and height-wise. I have to crouch to get in and out which is a bad thing for me and elders as well (My parents hate the Swift for this very reason).

Look at the last picture in the link, explains what I want to convey: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3615359

We need maximum space at minimum foot print so in such cases these tall-boy designs come into picture!

Last edited by a4anurag : 14th January 2015 at 08:39.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 14:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ingress/egress and practicality wise, tallboy hatchbacks are much better than the others but the Wagon R didn't meet the success that it sees today, at the time of its launch. IMO it was the Santro which introduced India to Hyundai and the tall boy space and it was well accepted too (although it was quite quirky). I remember people calling the Wagon R things like 'dabba' (box) for the longest time. It was only when Maruti discontinued the Alto 1.1 and introduced the Estilo that the Wagon R sales took off and there was no looking back ever since. A car which is almost 16 years old still features in the top 10 selling cars!

Similar case with the Alto. Only after the 800 was phased out, did Maruti aggressively focus on the Alto. The Alto 800 and Alto K10 twins offer tremendous value for money and are backed by the supreme after sales network of Maruti - a company which enjoys deep rooted brand equity in India. These are the reasons that these remain undisputed leaders in India and now globally too.

It would be interesting if someone could share what percentage of 2,64,544 cars are sold in India and how many are sold elsewhere. I just went through the factory dispatches from Team-BHP sales sheets and Jan-Dec units of the Alto add to this exact figure. Hence, I'm a little confused here.
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 15:03   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Boxy = Better Shoulder room unlike curved interiors, even for Taller passengers.

Boxy = Stack luggage the same manner as the first row in the stack. (3 Huge Suitcases of similar dimensions for example)

Boxy = Close the boot door without having to remove or push the luggage from the top.

Boxy = Easy to load and unload huge cartons (TV, Washing Machines, Refrigerators etc)

Boxy = No botheration of wheel cladding or bulged arches when passing closely to a pillar in a parking lot .

Overall, Boxy makes a car the most practical in nature!

Not sure if one would now like to call all those who helped get these models on top of the charts as "Non Enthusiasts" but reality is that there are many who consider all these aspects.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th January 2015 at 15:05.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 18:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Our market too likes the tall-boy designs.

What these kind of design's do is maximise the space inside and also give a sense of spaciousness. The green house effect is high making the occupants feel better without any sense of congestion. Tall body means maximum space vertically too for luggage loading.

I'll give you my own example,

Initially I used to drive the Ritz (3 years living with it) which is a tall-boy deisgn that gets good space width-wise as well as height wise. I never felt that I am in a hatchback. Ingress/Egress was effortless - just walking in and out, luggage stacking too wasn't an issue at all. Now I have migrated to the Swift but have sacrificed on the space both width-wise and height-wise. I have to crouch to get in and out which is a bad thing for me and elders as well (My parents hate the Swift for this very reason).
Yes, that seems like the reasons they are so popular. And yet somehow in India at least, only Maruti Suzuki have successfully sold them. But apart from the aerodynamics (only at significant speeds, I assume?) and looks, are there any disadvantages that they have?

I read your post about the ATV you got for your kid, it looks brilliant. I actually have a secret desire to own one for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
It would be interesting if someone could share what percentage of 2,64,544 cars are sold in India and how many are sold elsewhere. I just went through the factory dispatches from Team-BHP sales sheets and Jan-Dec units of the Alto add to this exact figure. Hence, I'm a little confused here.
That's actually a very good question, cause the report seems a little inconclusive. Here's what it says,

Alto registered overall sales of 264,544 units in India last year that put it ahead of Golf’s sales of 255,044 units in Germany, Tanto’s 234,456 units, Aqua’s 233,209 units and Fit’s 202,838 units in Japan.

Which begs the question, did they only consider the numbers of only one country? For example, the Golf, it sells well in Germany but it's a very popular car in UK and other countries as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Overall, Boxy makes a car the most practical in nature!

Not sure if one would now like to call all those who helped get these models on top of the charts as "Non Enthusiasts" but reality is that there are many who consider all these aspects.
Indeed, car enthusiasts come in many varieties. Many like speed but many still like to tour and be on roadtrips, the Travelouge section is a proof of that! And for that, you need a practical car. In fact, I am having the same dilemma. 4 of us friends are planning a road trip around Rajasthan but I'mm beginning to realise that my Polo (have no doubts, it's a brilliant car), has a few disadvantages particularly for the rear passengers.
Old 14th January 2015, 19:41   #9
BANNED

Quote:
But apart from the aerodynamics (only at significant speeds, I assume?) and looks, are there any disadvantages that they have?
Disadvantages as in?

Quote:
I read your post about the ATV you got for your kid, it looks brilliant. I actually have a secret desire to own one for myself.
Hey, sorry I should have mentioned it in my post, the ATV isn't mine. I ain't married yet.

That ATV is SirAlec gift to his son.
Old 2nd June 2016, 07:49   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's Alto continue its dominance as the world's largest city car sold in Q1 2016, Fiat Panda comes next!

Maruti Alto: Best-selling small car in the world-capture.jpg
Maruti Alto: Best-selling small car in the world-2.jpg
Maruti Alto: Best-selling small car in the world-3.jpg
Maruti Alto: Best-selling small car in the world-4.jpg

http://www.alvolante.it/news/utilita...re-2016-346967

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd June 2016 at 07:53.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 08:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki's Alto continue its dominance as the world's largest city car sold in Q1 2016, Fiat Panda comes next
The Ritz and even Nano come in the list, but not the Swift or Dzire? Strange, no?
Old 2nd June 2016, 08:33   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
The Ritz and even Nano come in the list, but not the Swift or Dzire? Strange, no?
Here is the criteria for the city car title,

Quote:
The term "utilitarian" is one of many that are used to describe the city car of generally less than 370 cm in length, with three or five doors: the same type of car is defined subcompact in North America and kei car in Japan, where models of this type are granted special concessions to taxation.
Source- alvolante

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd June 2016 at 08:34.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 08:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here is the criteria for the city car title
Cool. Thanks!

As per MSIL website, Ritz is 3775 mm long, and Swift is 3850 mm long.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks