Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2015, 16:32   #1
Team-BHP Support

Volkswagen Cross Polo 1.2 MPI launched at Rs. 6.94 lakh

Volkswagen India has announced the launch of the Cross Polo 1.2 MPI. The car has been priced at Rs. 6.94 lakh (ex-showroom, Mumbai).

The Cross Polo 1.2 MPI is powered by a 1.2-litre petrol engine that develops 74 bhp and 110 Nm of torque. The company claims that car can return 16.47 km to the litre of petrol.

The Cross Polo 1.2 MPI will be available in three body colours - Flash Red, Deep Black and Reflex Silver. The car is equipped with dual-beam halogen headlamps with black finish, 15-inch alloy wheels, 'Cross' bumpers with silver accents, silver-painted roof rails and rear-view mirror housing and 'Cross' front grille with chrome accents.

The interiors of the car feature a leather-wrapped flat-bottomed steering wheel, Cloud Titan black upholstery and Climatronic automatic air-conditioning. On the safety front, the Cross Polo comes equipped with dual front airbags and anti-lock braking system.

Bookings of the new Cross Polo will commence in January 15, 2015.

Volkswagen Cross Polo 1.2 MPI launched at Rs. 6.94 lakh-new-cross-polo-rafting.jpg

Volkswagen Cross Polo 1.2 MPI launched at Rs. 6.94 lakh-new-cross-polo.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 14th January 2015 at 16:38.
Aditya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 16:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Cross Polo 1.2 MPI launched at Rs. 6.94 lakh

Another wanna-be SUV with an anaemic engine. Did no one show these guys the dismal sales figures of all the poser hatchbacks with beefed up body kits? The Fabia Scout, Polo Cross, Avventura, Etios Cross, all flopped. The Elite i20 Cross should flop too. It is Hyundai's lame attempt to join the poser club.

Or wait...probably VW introduced the petrol motor to clear out the excess stock of body kits that were ordered in anticipation of a "good" response. If that is the reason then - good call. If that isn't the reason then - why bother?

Last edited by S2!!! : 14th January 2015 at 17:08.
S2!!! is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 17:01   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Volkswagen India has announced the launch of the Cross Polo 1.2 MPI. The car has been priced at Rs. 6.94 lakh (ex-showroom, Mumbai).
Quite a pointless launch IMO. Don’t understand why they are still bothered to continue with this 1.2 MPI engine. Ideally they should have done exactly the same as what they have done with the diesel. Get the 90ps tuned 1.2TSI as the base engine variant. Another Cross-dud in the making I guess.
vb-saan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 17:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Here we go again. Although the new Polo is a huge improvement over the old one, I was assuming the cross to be finally crossed out.

Even if they had to bring out the "cross" again, the 1.2 3 cyl engine really shouldn't be the one inside it, it barely manages to carry the regular Polo and now this has a few kilos of extra weight on it. I also assume there is no difference in the ground clearance. The plastic cladding makes literally no difference except maybe it wouldn't scratch as easily as paint would when stone chips hit it.

The ex-showroom price of 6.94 would mean an average on-road of 8.2-8.3 (including extended warranty) & this really isn't worth the car that it is. The claddings and roof-rail is merely an add-on, a superficial tweak. It sure cannot handle a terrain like a regular mini off-roader, nor is it high enough to get a vantage point from the driver seat. Anyone still interested?
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 19:16   #5
dvv
BHPian

As someone already mentioned on the thread above, looks like Volkswagen might just be trying to clear out stock of their 1.2L MPI engines. But a quick look at their website for the new Cross Polo, shows no mention of this engine option at all. Only the 1.5L TDI is mentioned.
Also they could have provided the alloys available on the Polo, would have made the car sportier. These new alloys look boring in my opinion.
Old 14th January 2015, 19:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

Even if they had to bring out the "cross" again, the 1.2 3 cyl engine really shouldn't be the one inside it, it barely manages to carry the regular Polo and now this has a few kilos of extra weight on it. I also assume there is no difference in the ground clearance. The plastic cladding makes literally no difference except maybe it wouldn't scratch as easily as paint would when stone chips hit it.
If it follows in the footsteps of the diesel Cross then this too will be the top variant's (petrol) cosmetically modded cousin and when the cost difference between the petrol Highline and the Cross is compared then VW is charging almost a lakh extra for a body kit & different upholstery. This thing reeks of a dud, expect a fat price cut in a few months followed by a discontinuation.

Last edited by tjacob : 14th January 2015 at 19:43.
tjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 20:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Even Premier Rio will sell more than this. Rather than adding nonsense to product portfolios, companies should just sit tight with improving what they have if they can't bring exciting things.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 20:38   #8
BHPian

VW has lost the plot. I love the car but in India a hatchback at this price point is a non starter. Instead of more variants, can they not just have one top end variant for petrol and deisel each at just above cost price.

Think about adding bigger wheels, improved seat fabric, additional free waranty, etc as options to generate interest and increase footfalls.
Old 15th January 2015, 12:21   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Get the 90ps tuned 1.2TSI as the base engine variant.........
That and a manual transmission option through the range. May sell a few then.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 18:11   #10
BHPian

I don't know why all these companies are bringing this cross version of their hatches. It's not that VW has had success with their existing cross polo. Then why bring another one with an engine not so famous in the market. They still cannot understand the market sentiment? It's too late to give that excuse for a company like VW. A market dud even before its launch.
Old 16th January 2015, 09:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Hey Aditya, I am a bit confused here !! From what I understand, VW India have launched New Cross Polo in 1.2 MPi (Only?).

Yesterday, I was passing by the Skoda Showroom on ORR near Marathahalli, traveling towards Eco Space. Right in front of showroom, I saw a very new, non-registered Red Cross Polo & Fabia.

I did not notice the badging on the Fabia but very distinctly remember seeing TDI badge on the Cross Polo.

What was even more interesting was that these two cars caught up with me near Cisco office and seemed quite quick up the slope on the underpass.

So 2 things were quite surprising to me:

1. Have VW also silently launched the Cross Polo with 1.5 TDI ?

2. Why was a Fabia having a 'Registered' sticker on the number plate, when I thought it was long since Skoda had discontinued this hatch ?

Last edited by Vik0728 : 16th January 2015 at 09:56.
Old 16th January 2015, 10:03   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey Aditya, I am a bit confused here !! From what I understand, VW India have launched New Cross Polo in 1.2 MPi (Only?).
Hello,
As per the VW website the 1,2 MPI is available as a variant, the mainstay would be the 1.5L TDI.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 11:24   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
So 2 things were quite surprising to me:

1. Have VW also silently launched the Cross Polo with 1.5 TDI ?

2. Why was a Fabia having a 'Registered' sticker on the number plate, when I thought it was long since Skoda had discontinued this hatch ?
1. VW has launched the Cross Polo with the newer 1.5 TDI engine when the facelift was out. So this hasn't been a silent launch. The 1.2 TDI was discontinued ever since.

2. Not sure if the Fabia is discontinued. Skoda still lists the Fabia in their website. In fact, the newer batches were being sold with the new steering, gear lever knob (from the Rapid's bin) along with some minor changes.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 12:46   #14
Team-BHP Support

I've seen quite a few Fabia specimens lately with the new font style on the badging (that Skoda adopted a year or so ago?). Is the car still on sale?
Old 18th January 2015, 11:28   #15
BHPian

I personally feel that these so called 'cross' vehicles must be offered as the top variant instead of launching as a new car. The cost of these 'cross' vehicles also not justified. What most of the manufacture does to call it a 'cross' is to add the side cladding, increase the GC, roof rails and changes in the looks of front bumper. The only advantage of these 'cross' vehicles to be considered for buying compared with their top variants is that it has got a majestic stance.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks