Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Should Renault launch Captur in India?
Yes 92 87.62%
No 13 12.38%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2015, 16:24   #16
BHPian

Re: Should Renault launch the Captur (compact SUV) in India?

I voted no. Because why would anyone say 'No', but there was a poll and it had to make some sense. My contribution.

On a serious note, as much as BHPians would like it, Renault would not be able to do justice to this otherwise good looking car. They should rather build up their dealerships and improve after sales. Scale up Renault India, then bring vehicles such as these.
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 10:26   #17
BHPian

It looks beautiful in the pictures and in person - BUT this is hardly an SUV !

Its size is between a Hyundai i20/i10 !!
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 15:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
It looks beautiful in the pictures and in person - BUT this is hardly an SUV !

Its size is between a Hyundai i20/i10 !!
+1 to that. I saw this in a mall at Dubai and felt suddenly not so exciting. Its a different question whether renault should launch this or not but the comparison to Ecosport / ix25 etc is misplaced. The car looks small in flesh and the feeling isnt exactly a wow when you see it.
Old 26th May 2015, 20:06   #19
BHPian

Agree. Doesn't look like a mini-SUV to me. It is based on the Clio hatchback. So its more like the i20 Active update over a hatchback.

I voted yes because it's a very good looking car.
Old 11th July 2015, 09:25   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault is considering an SUV against Ecosport - A CUV smaller than Captur. The crossover based on the Clio and would make sense it they bring this to India.

Launch will be the end of 2017 for Eu market, prices start at around 16,000 euros!( ~11.3 lakhs)
Should Renault launch the Captur (compact SUV) in India?-renaultcliosuvillustration1200x800022de2466ed07a0e.jpg
Should Renault launch the Captur (compact SUV) in India?-crossoverundminisuvneuheiten2015201620172018201920201200x800b820050155fce27a.jpg

Quote:
The yet unnamed mini SUV, although only 3.90 meters short, but is likely due to a greater height in the interior as much space as the 15 centimeters longer offer Clio
Quote:
The basis is the new platform with the internal name "Value Up". This is to save weight and thus provide good performance even with small motors. Base gasoline is the one-liter three-cylinder with 70 hp from the Twingo , added 1.5-liter diesel engines with 75 to 110 hp.

http://translate.google.co.in/transl...e/&prev=search
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 10:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think the Duster days are over with the launch of the Creta. The duster did very well and renault should be content with what it achieved with a crudish vehicle. Now its time to bring in its european quality cars and those will keep the ship afloat. Kudos to Hyundai once again for shaking up yet another segment with a feature rich quality car !!

Hyundai shook up the mid size car segment and forced Honda to give us a loaded city ! They shook up the premium hatch segment with the i20, they shook up the entry hatch segment and made maruti think !!
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 13:59   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I think vehicles like the Captur will do well in the current climate. Renault does need to move up the value chain with better class and better quality offerings that the bare bones Duster for sure.

Car fashion, like all other fashions, is a cyclical thing. We are already seeing the rise of the really hot hatch, not least because of increasingly crowded road spaces and less parking space overall. A car like the Captur should do well in this climate.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 15:09   #23
BHPian

Absolutely yes! I see them on the UK roads and wonder why we still get only the primitive Duster. I also think that they should launch the Megane before the Captur. But little does what I think matter!
ThomasZach is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 16:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I think the Duster days are over with the launch of the Creta. The duster did very well and renault should be content with what it achieved with a crudish vehicle. Now its time to bring in its european quality cars and those will keep the ship afloat. Kudos to Hyundai once again for shaking up yet another segment with a feature rich quality car !!
I very much doubt the Creta is much of 'quality car' relative to the Duster when it comes to what is of the essence for a faux-SUV: ride quality, and yet with good handling, high speed road holding, suspension ruggedness.

It is overpriced, no doubt, but then so IMO is every Hyundai in India given their skimping-on-chassis and suspension etc engineering, tolerance/redundancy level and build quality. Hyundai's 1.4 diesel is very over-rated too, relative to the dci.

The Duster is a bit of a segment-originating 'SUV', one that can plausibly be called an 'SUV'. However, what we have coming from the Japanese and the Korean will be pretty bling-y, softy-roaders, very very faux-suv.

But if that's the mentality in this market, and it seems to be, the Captur, suitably cost-adjusted, or a derivative thereof like the image of the rumoured sub-4m one just posted above, would seem a splendid bet?

After all between them Renault and Nissan are probably the world's leading mass-market Cuv/Suv-makers? They have a similar, first-mover advantage in India too with the Duster and soon Kwid, so...
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 16:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Renault dose not have any thing that will appeal to the Indian market. Three years ago the over priced Duster sold like hot cakes, only because it was the sole vehicle in the size and shape that the people wanted. Renault could have built up on that, but the did not. The AWD came late, better finishing and equipment is still a dream, and Renault engineers may still not dreamt of getting their wonderful EDC gearbox in this car.
They better improve on the duster and not think of any more cars now.
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 17:14   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I think vehicles like the Captur will do well in the current climate. Renault does need to move up the value chain with better class and better quality offerings that the bare bones Duster for sure.

Car fashion, like all other fashions, is a cyclical thing. We are already seeing the rise of the really hot hatch, not least because of increasingly crowded road spaces and less parking space overall. A car like the Captur should do well in this climate.
Should do well is one thing, but for that they need to come out of the made-for-India thought process. At this point most of their standard products (Renault Captur, Nissan Juke, Qashqai etc.) are deemed as not viable for India, and hence we the likes of Duster and Terrano sitting in that price point. Hopefully the arrival of cross-overs like S-Cross and Creta can bring a change in that thought-process.

In that aspect, I can see that VAG is bringing in some kind of positive change to our market. They now have the powerful versions of the Polo, and the Tiguan is expected to arrive in next year.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 17:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Renault's going a bit haywire on their crossover product lineup with the Captur too close to the Duster and the Kadjar too close to the Koleos.

Maybe the Duster and Koleos (made in Romania and Korea) are intended to address "developing" markets while the Captur and Kadjar are meant for others.

The Captur is a nice vehicle, even if only a hatch on stilts - but if Renault does introduce it in India its going to be a heavily stripped-down, de-specced and under-engineered version.
Old 11th July 2015, 19:35   #28
BHPian

If at all Renault in India has today managed to become a household name, it is only due to the Duster. My uncle back from a holiday to the UK sold off his premium sedan, purchased this Dacia, saying his friend in the UK has convinced him why this 'pseudo' SUV was the best for him. All in the family are impressed with his logic and purchase.

So, my humble request to all at Renault, before thinking of Captur is to go sit in the elite i20, understand what the Indian means when he says premium, do a make over of the Duster and we promise to make you laugh all the way to the bank.
Old 13th July 2015, 01:03   #29
BHPian

There were a couple of posts that implied that the duster is crude, dated and at below par standards to what the competition will soon bring out. One post mentioned that the hyundai will not bring out a well engineered and mechanically sound car comparable to the duster.
I am inclined to agree with the second post in favour of the duster. We just returned from a rigorous 3 hour drive in the mudumalai jungles through what may not pass for even a trail.
A scorpio, A mahindra max pick up, A MM 540, A 110 2wd Duster.
For a monocoque crossover, the duster literally outdid the others in ride, handling, occupant comfort, power and just as well in negotiability. Developed a new respect for the vehicle over the drive.
Just felt we shouldn't demean such a rugged beast. Underequipped yes... but still mechanically right up there. Sorry for going OT.

In relation to the thread... Renault can't go on with one successful product like the duster, however able a competitor it is. The need of the hour is another able car like the captur. Renault could position itself as a carmaker catering to the rugged adventure-sport segment.
what with the quid, duster koleos and probably the captur... a crossover for every budget. A unique brand positioning.
So I vote yes for the captur.
Old 13th July 2015, 07:19   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by igp_79 View Post
There were a couple of posts that implied that the duster is crude, dated and at below par standards to what the competition will soon bring out. One post mentioned that the hyundai will not bring out a well engineered and mechanically sound car comparable to the duster.
I am inclined to agree with the sve.
Just felt we shouldn't demean such a rugged beast. Underequipped yes... but still mechanically right up there. Sorry for going OT.

In relation to the thread... Renault can't go on with one successful product like the duster, however able a competitor it is. The need of the hour is another able car like the captur. Renault could position itself as a carmaker catering to the rugged adventure-sport segment.
what with the quid, duster koleos and probably the captur... a crossover for every budget. A unique brand positioning.
So I vote yes for the captur.
Duster ride comfort is superb on account of the suspension tuning. Like most French cars these are designed for the bone breaking cobblestoned roads there and in Eastern Europe along with a bit of light off roading too.
Its a great car in its 2WD or 4WD avatars. Very tough.

But saying this, it is still most definitely engineered to a price and therefore, compared with the Hyundai and other soft roaders, it is definitely cruder.

Renault cannot tie its India success to just one model, one vehicle. They have to consider other models quickly to keep ahead in the game. Hence the Captur and other Renault vehicles will definitely help!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed