Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2016, 23:40   #16
BHPian

Re: The Pelican - Tata Motors' new small car based on the Nano

I feel, TATA needs an image makeover.
Today, they are in the catch up game, trying to eek out some leftover cake.

Nano was the best that they could have done, and that is already history. You cannot bask in the glory of one great attempt, and it still did not go according to plan.

I feel, they need to do something like a Nexa, where they sell the Jaguars, Landrovers and the Aria. And even a new Safari, maybe. Build something new, or even old.
We all loved the Safari, and even the Sierra, and even the Estate, and even.. even.. even.. the Tata Mobile.

We all drooled over the Indica, when it was first penned. We were blown away by the Pixel concept. Its only that the promise was not delivered. We need to see some freshness, and not any cheap competing product.
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:54   #17
BHPian

Tata Motors Starts Working On The Nano Replacement

According to a report in Financial Express, Tata Motors India has started working on a new entry level hatchback due to the intense competition the segment is seeing whereas Tata Nano's sales even with the facelift has deteriorated extensively. The company managed to roll out only 732 units of the vehicle in March, 2016 a loss of more than 1000 units compared to February, 2016.

The article further stated that the manufacturer is already in talks with their existing Nano customers for feedback. The car will launch in the next 2-3 years after the launch of Kite Sedan, Hexa and Nexon.

Quote:
"We are in touch with buyers of the Nano and do have some specific plans for a small city car which we will talk about at the appropriate time,"

Source:- http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...ll-car/262899/
YashD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:41   #18
OSH
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors Starts Working On The Nano Replacement

If this is about the Pelican Project by Tata, it is already being discussed in another thread.

Mods please merge the thread.
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
There is quite a fan base for Nano - those who already own a Nano, would want to drive a better Nano actually, not anything else.
=======
With this, if they offer the car at a very competitive price tag, they can get the ball rolling in their favour.
Likes & dislikes very aptly penned. I am very satisfied with my wife's Nano XTA for short internal commutes. Nothing to beat the comfort for 4, bone chiller AC & headache free parking. Where 2 2-wheelers can fit, Nano can fit.

Ameya Janvekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 21:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
I feel, TATA needs an image makeover.

I feel, they need to do something like a Nexa.

My suggestion is not to get inspired by Maruti by doing a Hexa like attempt for selling new passenger cars.

Instead they should open Nexa like service centres and take their A.S.S issues head on and solve it in style.
Old 23rd May 2016, 22:19   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I really hope TATA doesn't use the term 'Nano' with the pelican project at all. That connection alone cane spell death for the new product. Just like how they carried the baggage of Indigo & Indica for the Zest / Bolt!! And yes, hope the design is no where close to the Nano as well.
Old 24th May 2016, 07:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if anyone from Tata is reading this, but as an ex-Nano owner (and having loved it totally!), this is my wish-list for the Pelican.

(1) Engine: 3 cyl, > 0.8L, >45BHP
(2) Transmission: 5 speed MT / AMT
((3) Brakes: Front discs, rear drums with 8" brake booster
(4) Wheels & tyres: Uniform size for all 4 wheels + stepney (>155/R13)
(5) Safety: 4 star crash-rating, 2 air-bags, ABS as standard
(6) Adjustable head-rests at the rear
(7) Rear wash-wipe with defogger
(8) All 4 power windows with switches on the driver door (Auto up/down for driver window)
(9) Conventional meter cluster layout (behind the steering wheel)
(10) Key-less entry and go
(11) Bigger IRVM and electrically adjustable ORVMs
(12) Conventional fuel filling with a 30L tank
(13) Fog lamps (front and rear) - at least as optional extras
(14) Provision for rear parking sensors and camera (protected from the heat from the engine)
(15) Well-insulated cabin (from engine heat and noise)

I also believe that Tata should not make any direct references to the Nano (hopefully, the visual difference is high) and market it as a safe, fun-to-drive car, especially suited to the city.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2016 at 11:16. Reason: Corrected typo, as per request :)
Viju is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 07:53   #23
BHPian

Tata Nano made a HUGE branding mistake by positioning itself as the cheapest car in India. In India, cheap literally means cheap in the eyes of the consumer.

They should rebrand Pelican as the smallest most safe & fun way to travel around town, easy to park, frugal & comfy for 2+2. Perfect for office runs, shopping & school runs.

Perfect only car for singles, young couples, perfect 2nd car etc. Both Nano & Hyundai Eon havent been able to position themselves like M800 did.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 10:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
this is my wish-list for the Pelican.

I also believe that Tata should not make any direct references to the Nano (hopefully, the visual difference is high) and market is as a safe, fun-to-drive car, especially suited to the city.
Perfect wish-list Viju. I would like to add a very glaring yet basic safety feature that is missing in the Nano - Child-lock in rear doors.
X_T_A Rose is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 11:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
They should rebrand Pelican as the smallest most safe & fun way to travel around town, easy to park, frugal & comfy for 2+2. Perfect for office runs, shopping & school runs.
Tata offers this currently - Tiago. Why look elsewhere?
Old 24th May 2016, 11:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
We are talking about the 2-3 lakh market, like the Nano & Eon.
Old 24th May 2016, 12:17   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Obviously, given the speculated specifications, Pelican will probably be positioned between the Tiago and Nano. There is a 1.6 lakh gap between the XT variants of the Nano and Tiago whereas the gap between the Alto 800 VXI and Wagon R VXI is just about 1 lakh (with an Alto k10 slotting between them). There is definitely a gap in the Tata product portfolio which can be filled with a ~70Ps 1liter Petrol engined hatchback which is about 3450-3500 mm in length (300 mm longer than Nano, 300mm shorter than Tiago). It will be a worthy competitor even if it is aimed squarely at the Alto K10 instead of the 800.
Old 24th May 2016, 12:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_T_A Rose View Post
Perfect wish-list Viju. I would like to add a very glaring yet basic safety feature that is missing in the Nano - Child-lock in rear doors.
X_T_A Rose (you must love your Nano!)

How could I have forgotten that!

Tata, will take two child-locks along with ISO-FIX mounts for child seats at the rear, thank you!

Cheers
Viju
Viju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 14:09   #29
BHPian

Adding to what Viju & XT_T_A_Rose listed - A must have feature that I felt was skimped in the Nano is proper rear seat belts - the lap belts are not enough.
sjcherian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 23:12   #30
BHPian

What Tata really need is their own version of the VW Up! - essentially a top quality entry level car with neutral design. There is a gap in the market for a high quality relatively lower cost car that Tata can easily exploit. All one needs to do is look at where the Japanese and the Koreans started. Remember, even the Lexus was a lower cost, better quality alternative to the expensive Germans

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks