Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2016, 14:31   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Pelican - Tata Motors' new small car based on the Nano

Tata Nano Pelican spied, may sit between the GenX Nano and the recently launched Tiago.

The Nano Pelican will come with a new exterior design, updated interiors and equipment list, and larger tyres; may be sold alongside the GenX Nano.
Quote:
Though the exterior isn't a great departure from the current Nano's, the interior seems to come with major changes. The Pelican will feature an all-new dashboard and new seats. A first for the Nano, the instrument cluster will now be behind the steering wheel instead of the usual centre position. The speedometer is housed at the centre of the console, and is surrounded by various warning lights. However, what's missing is a tachometer. The chunky steering wheel is the same unit seen on the GenX Nano, but there appears to be no mounted controls or an airbag.
The Pelican - Tata Motors' new small car based on the Nano-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20160527022424_nano4x.jpg
The Pelican - Tata Motors' new small car based on the Nano-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20160527022438_nano1.jpg
The Pelican - Tata Motors' new small car based on the Nano-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20160527022438_nano2.jpg
The Pelican - Tata Motors' new small car based on the Nano-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20160527022439_nano3.jpg
Quote:
The test car photographed is seen sporting 13-inch tyres instead of the current 12-inchers, leading to the possibility of a larger capacity engine. The new Nano will share most of its body panels with the latest version of the Nano, the GenX. However, a closer look reveals that the front styling has been altered. The headlight and bonnet shape is new and more in line with the Nano Europa concept.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-402084.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th May 2016 at 14:40.
volkman10 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 15:18   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tata Nano Pelican spied, may sit between the GenX Nano and the recently launched Tiago.

The Nano Pelican will come with a new exterior design, updated interiors and equipment list, and larger tyres; may be sold alongside the GenX Nano.
The car very much resembles the Nano, and could be another facelift of GenX Nano.
If they want to make a successful product out of the Nano platform, a general user expect various things, such as a 3 cyl engine, some usable boot space, a little more rigid frame and a petrol tank of at least 30 litres. Some of these points were already rumoured to be part of Pelican Project.
I don't think the Nano can have all these and still look the exact same of GenX Nano.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 15:24   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

When TATA has put so much effort in the interiors, why not create an all new exterior design too?! They are making the same mistake they did with Zest & Bolt. People are least bothered with the improvements if they see the design is same. They will always see it as another Nano!
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 15:30   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

My Tata birdies tweet that the Pelican project is undergoing testing with a 3-cylinder diesel engine as well, possibly a detuned version of the Tiago's 1.05L oil burner.

Will post any/all further details I get on this.
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 15:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

As an ex Nano owner, I am sadly disappointed with the Tata's. They have a wonderful car in the form of the Nano; They launched the gen-x with much fanfare and I went to TD the car. My observations were as below:

1. The Gen X has worse brakes than perhaps the original one.
2. AMT doesnt help the cause; The car didnt move at all unless in "S" mode.

With the Pelican, I would like to suggest the following:

1. Already you have incorporated larger tires; please add Disc brakes as well
2. Safety first - Please incorporate ABS/Airbags now
3. Addition of a rear wiper will add to the looks as well as functionality.
4. Heated windshield.

Pelican is an answer to the likes of Redi-Go, Kwid, etc.

Last edited by amtak : 27th May 2016 at 15:38.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 15:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

New Nano should be more closer to the Nano Europa concept which Tata Motors had exhibited years ago.

I expect the new Nano to come with slightly longer wheelbase, a bigger 3 cylinder gasoline engine - a downsized version of the Tiago's engine makes sense, bigger & fatter wheels, disc brakes in front, upgraded infotainment in - line with Tata's new philosophy of providing class leading audio systems even in budget cars, better seating and enhanced safety features ( 3-point safety belt in rear?)
Idle Start-Stop may also come in. This was displayed in the 2012 New Delhi Auto Expo NANO, which incidentally had discs in front as well.

Interesting variants could include a mildly turbocharged Nano pumping out between 55 - 60 Ps. Now that would make things interesting !!

The picture shown in the Autocar scoop is most probably that of a test mule utilizing the existing Nano as a donor car and certainly not the final iteration.
arjab is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 15:43   #37
BHPian

SCOOP! Tata Nano Pelican spied

Tata Motors is readying what is probably the biggest update to the Nano yet. Spied for the first time on the outskirts of Pune, the new car (codename: Pelican) may sit between the GenX Nano and the recently launched Tiago.

In 2012, then-chairman of the company, Ratan Tata exclusively told us: “We have variants coming out, with a three-cylinder engine developing 61hp or 81hp and we will also give the Nano larger tyres and wheels.” The car seen in the spy pictures almost confirms this statement.

The test car photographed is seen sporting 13-inch tyres instead of the current 12-inchers, leading to the possibility of a larger capacity engine. The new Nano will share most of its body panels with the latest version of the Nano, the GenX. However, a closer look reveals that the front styling has been altered. The headlight and bonnet shape is new and more in line with the Nano Europa concept. The test car though wears the front and rear bumpers from the GenX Nano, but this could change in the final production version. The fuel fill inlet's position will be shifted from under the bonnet to a more conventional location on the rear fender. Although the car retains a single wiper unit, it now has a double arm design, there's is also now a proper windshield washer unit at the centre of the bonnet.

Though the exterior isn't a great departure from the current Nano's, the interior seems to come with major changes. The Pelican will feature an all-new dashboard and new seats. A first for the Nano, the instrument cluster will now be behind the steering wheel instead of the usual centre position. The speedometer is housed at the centre of the console, and is surrounded by various warning lights. However, what's missing is a tachometer. The chunky steering wheel is the same unit seen on the GenX Nano, but there appears to be no mounted controls or an airbag.

The AC vents at the centre are similar to the ones seen on the Tiago hatchback, while the ones on the sides are the round units similar to those in the GenX Nano. Unlike the GenX Nano which comes with a CD/MP3 system with Bluetooth, the new car features the Harman ConnectNext infotainment system used in the Tiago.

The list of updates and the possibility of a larger capacity engine, will move the Pelican slightly upmarket. When launched, the car may be sold alongside the current Nano GenX.

Source: Autocar India
Attached Thumbnails
The Pelican - Tata Motors' new small car based on the Nano-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20160527022424_nano4x.jpg  

The Pelican - Tata Motors' new small car based on the Nano-0_0_0_http172.17.115.18082newsnano3.jpg  

The Pelican - Tata Motors' new small car based on the Nano-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20160527022438_nano1.jpg  

The Pelican - Tata Motors' new small car based on the Nano-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20160527022438_nano2.jpg  

Last edited by keeprevving : 27th May 2016 at 15:44.
keeprevving is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 14:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Why do the AC vents and the ICE system look similar to the ones in the Elite i20?
I think tata should just make a new exterior body to.
Old 28th May 2016, 15:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

This new vehicle has better interiors, wheels, engine and brakes compared to the current Nano. All of which are on the wish list for the Nano.

So it should be sold as the updated Nano, replacing the current one completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Why do the AC vents and the ICE system look similar to the ones in the Elite i20?
Looks like the AC vents and the ICE system is from the Tiago.

Last edited by safari_lover : 28th May 2016 at 15:06.
safari_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 19:15   #40
BHPian

The Nano is a 8 year old design that at best can be described as 'Quirky'. In an era where the average lifespan of a model is 4-5 years, I am flabbergasted that Tata continue to flog what's essentially a dead horse. This upgrade kind of reminds me of a slightly more modern version of what HM used to do with the Ambassador - change lights / grille and call it an 'All new' car with model change from Mark 2-3-4. And we all know what happened to HM.

Tata really needs to go to a clean sheet design similar to what they have done with the Tiago.

I am sorry for ranting, but as a Tata admirer, it pains me to see the company waste precious resources like this.

Last edited by prashanthyr : 28th May 2016 at 19:16. Reason: typo
Old 28th May 2016, 20:28   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Not sure if anyone from Tata is reading this, but as an ex-Nano owner (and having loved it totally!), this is my wish-list for the Pelican.
Agreed, and would add
4 bolt rims.
Conventional wiper setup.

And don't dare 'rightsize' the AC.

Essentially a Nano Europa!

How much would you pay for one?

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 28th May 2016 at 20:31.
Old 29th May 2016, 00:17   #42
Senior - BHPian

I've seen this prototype on Katraj bypass highway. Got very close to the car to hear its sound and was surprised that it wasn't sounding like what the Nano sounds usually, it was pleasant. The rear wheel was fat and gave a substantial look to the rear profile. Something big is definitely going on with the nano
NiInJa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 10:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Agreed, and would add
4 bolt rims.
Why? If based on the all factors three is enough if longevity, road conditions and overloading are considered - this is India - then four would be over-engineering and a waste of money.

Love the interiors, and that with a three cylinder engine will make the Nano more acceptable to the target buyer who has changed diametrically since launch.

However, they really should do something about the boot space area in front - which is to make it more usable/presentable and sealed like one at the rear of a normal car. Having it lined and the assurance that items will not fall out through a hole will be perfect.

A brand new Nano will take time and considerably more money, and I think Tata is right on focussing on potentially higher margin products to build the brand and get some money flowing.
Old 29th May 2016, 14:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Now this is called as a perfect timing. Its the perfect time for me to get a new car for my small family and I was just reviewing some of the latest offerings in the market. Nano holds a special place in my heart since my starting career days and every time it got overlooked for one reason or another. Lets see what happens this time. Will the Pelican be able to keep me absorbed and get her home or will I again switch priorities?

P.s. I still do not know how to drive a four wheeler and that requires immediate attention and action.

On a different note, which one is better, automated or manual? I am not referring to the hassles in gear shifting or the blessings for the non-presence of it, but what is that something which works out best. Though I do not know how to drive a 4 wheeler but that does not mean that I fear the manual mode etc. And neither will I appreciate constant gear changing if there is any need for it.

Experts, please advise and let me take a firm call this time. Automated or Manual!
Old 29th May 2016, 14:53   #45
BHPian

The Pelican - Tata Motors' new small car based on the Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Now this is called as a perfect timing. Its the perfect time for me to get a new car for my small family and I was just reviewing some of the latest offerings in the market. Nano holds a special place in my heart since my starting career days and every time it got overlooked for one reason or another. Lets see what happens this time. Will the Pelican be able to keep me absorbed and get her home or will I again switch priorities?

P.s. I still do not know how to drive a four wheeler and that requires immediate attention and action.

On a different note, which one is better, automated or manual? I am not referring to the hassles in gear shifting or the blessings for the non-presence of it, but what is that something which works out best. Though I do not know how to drive a 4 wheeler but that does not mean that I fear the manual mode etc. And neither will I appreciate constant gear changing if there is any need for it.

Experts, please advise and let me take a firm call this time. Automated or Manual!

I'm no expert. But this stands true. Learn and get used to the manual, then an automatic won't be any different it'll just be way more easier (to me boring) 'cause you can drive an automatic if you know to shift through the manual, but the other way around is complex (basis my friend who has his first car a Rapid Auto, can't drive my Manual Swift). Also, I feel more connected to the car and engine in manual.

Happy Revving

Last edited by GranvilleDsouza : 29th May 2016 at 14:56.
GranvilleDsouza is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed