Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2016, 18:06   #76
BHPian

Re: The Pelican - Tata Motors' new small car based on the Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
A Nano with 120 on the odo . That probably suggests some sound engine refinement. As you were tailing the "bird", what about the sound? Did you observe any sort of swerving in such high speed, on the Nano?

On a lighter note, not many souls will be happy being overtaken by a Nano, more so if its in such high speeds.
I will say, Driver was really mad. He was driving really carelessly. I could not here any sound, he was quite at a distance from me which was increasing continuously. Only I was closing gap when he was obstructed by another vehicle. I gave up after some time because I lost the battle. Nano was definitely loaded, as rear wheels and suspension state was pointing out.

Nothing more information apart from, it was really fast.
Old 14th June 2016, 19:35   #77
BHPian

Third time lucky? If Tata can pull off a stunt like the Tiago with the nano, now would be the time to do it. I have the feeling the next generation Alto will spoil the party if Tata takes too long.
Old 14th June 2016, 20:10   #78
BHPian

Whatever Tata does in terms of the engine and the mechanicals, as long as the Peli can remains similar to the Nano in basic exterior design, its another Bolt in the making.
Old 15th June 2016, 07:03   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Last week on Pune Banglore highway, I was overtaken by nano test mule. It was regular nano body shell wise but front bumper and rear portion was camouflaged. Nothing different compared to look.
But the speed it was doing was un-imaginable. From the stance it felt like it is having some weight in side it. Even though it was doing constant 120 kmph. I tried to chase it to observe but no help. I tried for 10-15 minutes but it was really hard bird to catch.
It was going above 120 kmph, leaving behind everything in the way. Everyone was amused to see how this thing is going so fast. It must be new 3 cylinder petrol engine under test.
sushantr5, your observation of the 120 km/hr nano test mule gives me great satisfaction and makes me smile in anticipation! I hope that Tata, with their newly deep pockets (post the success of their JLR acquisition!) & added R&D resources, will now be able to give the nano the added teeth in the critical areas that it so badly needed - performance & safety.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 14:34   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A Nano with 120 on the odo . That probably suggests some sound engine refinement. As you were tailing the "bird", what about the sound? Did you observe any sort of swerving in such high speed, on the Nano?

On a lighter note, not many souls will be happy being overtaken by a Nano, more so if its in such high speeds.
My first generation Nano would happily reach 100 kmph on the highways. I guess, this is a more refined engine or a different engine altogether. My brother has done Coimbatore - Chennai trips on it at least 4 times and he mentioned the Nano never broke a sweat. We sold it off after he moved to Bangalore, with its myriad issues with the RTO and out-of-station vehicles.

In hindsight, I would have probably retained it, if not for the backrest which was not comfortable for my build.

Last edited by discoverwild : 15th June 2016 at 14:40.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 14:41   #81
Team-BHP Support

Why is the thread titled- new small car based on Nano? Went through couple of pages, and could only find pictures of what can be described as a Nano facelift at best!

IMO, better not to try a rebranding exercise if it resembles an earlier vehicle- like how the Zest and Bolt tried and failed.
Old 16th June 2016, 10:24   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Went through couple of pages, and could only find pictures of what can be described as a Nano facelift at best!
I think most of the car buying public will agree with you, and unfortunately, this will be another loss-making venture for Tata. I, on the other hand, see this as an all-new model because the Pelican seems to have the following changes, from what we have seen / read so far.
  • Powertrain: New 3 cylinder engine, new transmission - may be 5 speed*, all new accessories (exhaust, charging, cooling and electrical system with more powerful battery and starter motor)
  • Chassis: Bigger / uniform-size wheels and tyres, disc brakes, new front and rear hubs*, bigger brake booster*, ABS*
  • Interiors: New dash-board and instrument cluster, infotainment system, 4 power windows, bigger ORVMs* with internal adjustment, new seats
  • Exteriors: New headlamp design, bonnet, tail lamps, bumpers*
  • Safety: Crash-safe structure, at least driver airbag*
  • Convenience: Conventional fuel filling position, improved wipe and wash system

* - My guesses.

Reasons:
Transmission and all engine-related accessories I am sure will be all new compared to Gen-X Nano, considering the engine is all new to the car.

I think Tata will go for the 4 bolt pattern with 13" wheels and hence the front and rear hubs will need to be changed. To complement the disc brakes at the front, I think Tata will add a bigger brake booster, a rear drum which is one size larger, and for meeting upcoming legislation, ABS.

The ORVMs look bigger to me from the pictures, and I believe Tata will add internal adjust (at least manual).

Taking a leaf out of new models like Brezza, I believe Tata will (or at least should!) make the Pelican's structure crash-safe, and add a driver airbag at the minimum (should not be difficult, considering the steering wheel is same as in the Tiago).

Conventional fuel filling position etc are basic things which Tata is 'correcting' now to conform to tradition, but that involves major changes (new fuel tank design), new body panel (that involves changes in the dies / press which cost big money).

Overall, the way I look at it, I find more 'all-new' items in the Pelican than what is 'carry-over' from the Gen-X Nano, but ultimately, it is going to look way too similar to the current model, and that will be the reason for its failure! Depressing, considering how much effort Tata is putting into the Nano (and that I am a big fan).

:( :(

Having seen first-hand what goes into face-lifts of more popular cars in our country - remove lot and lot of 'invisible' stuff, change headlight and front grille, and a couple of fancy features which were anyway intentionally left out in the beginning, add a new body colour - I believe Pelican does qualify as an all-new car, at least from an engineering and development point-of-view.

Last edited by Viju : 16th June 2016 at 10:31.
Viju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 11:32   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
I believe Pelican does qualify as an all-new car, at least from an engineering and development point-of-view.
Agreed.

But let's not forget that the car was launched in 2008 and will be nine years old when the Pelican comes to the market in 2017.

What is needed is a new vehicle with a fresh design on a new platform with better interiors. Instead, if they think an extensive rework of the existing car will work for them, probably that's going to be a waste of time and efforts. It might be a new car underneath, but they need to make people feel it as well.

One would have expected TATA to have learned this lesson already- having had bitter experiences with Vista, Safari Storme, Zest and Bolt.

Tiago is a good example that people will still buy TATA cars as long as they are fresh in the market. Personally, I'm really looking forward to the Nexon as well. But going by the spy pics, I'm really doubtful of the sales prospects of the Nano Pelican.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 11:42   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
unfortunately, this will be another loss-making venture for Tata.

ultimately, it is going to look way too similar to the current model, and that will be the reason for its failure!
Quote:
if they think an extensive rework of the existing car will work for them, probably that's going to be a waste of time and efforts. It might be a new car underneath, but they need to make people feel it as well.

But going by the spy pics, I'm really doubtful of the sales prospects of the Nano Pelican.
I guess we are on the same page here.

Even I believe Tata should have gone the whole hog and reworked the exteriors as well completely. The kind of efforts (and money!) they have thrown in year after year on this single model is much more than most OEMs do on a full model change!

Hopefully, they have now learnt their lesson with the success of the Tiago and we can see an all new Nano (with a different name!) by 2018 or 2019.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 13:44   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One would have expected TATA to have learned this lesson already- having had bitter experiences with Vista, Safari Storme, Zest and Bolt.
Agreed but isn't the Nano selling pretty well? I see a lot of them in all sorts of ghastly shades here in Bangalore. Quite annoying honestly since most of them are driven by learners or people who can't drive. Perhaps a rework with fewer rough edges like the Pelican, may appeal to the same demographic?
Old 16th June 2016, 13:54   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Agreed but isn't the Nano selling pretty well?
896 units last month. The nearest competitor - Alto sold 19,874 units.

Nano has clearly become a sales flop over the years. It's better for TATA to start fresh.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th June 2016 at 13:55.
Old 16th June 2016, 14:25   #87
BHPian

Quote:
896 units last month. The nearest competitor - Alto sold 19,874 units.

Nano has clearly become a sales flop over the years. It's better for TATA to start fresh.
Well not denying that Nano is a sales flop, but Alto is actually a segment above. There is no Nano Competitor. But it has lost to itself and expectations around it.

IMO People who dislike the Nano do so for various reasons. Brand perception, Cheap car feeling, less power, no proper boot, safety etc.

The Pelican effort is to make the car acceptable in the segment it is going to sell. Though I too am disappointed that the design isn't new, I wouldnt write off this car just yet.

It will all depend on what the car offers vis-a-vis the competition at what price. Now since this is the same bodyshell, I expect this to be priced close to Datsun redigo at 2.4-5. or even less. With this body, I'm not sure how it will perform in the Kwid/Alto territory.

I'm still eager to see what this one offers.
Old 16th June 2016, 18:26   #88
Senior - BHPian

Heard that there has been some devastating fire at the Sanand factory, where the Nanos are made? Anybody, any inputs?
Below is the link, but it's in Bengali

http://m.eisamay.com/nation/fire-bre...w/52780099.cms
Old 16th June 2016, 20:58   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To complement the disc brakes at the front, I think Tata will add a bigger brake booster, a rear drum which is one size larger, and for meeting upcoming legislation, ABS.
Always wondered about the presence of the booster in the Nano. (And the (very necessary) need for power steering.

Quote:
Heard that there has been some devastating fire at the Sanand factory, where the Nanos are made? Anybody, any inputs?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3998470
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 07:47   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Always wondered about the presence of the booster in the Nano.
AFAIK, only the base variant of the first generation Nano came without a brake booster. All the other variants and later models came with a 6" booster. At the time of launch, it was the smallest brake booster fitted to any passenger car in India.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks