Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2015, 08:41   #76
BHPian

Should I be honest here? Okay, please spare my life, but to me this facelifted Quanto's design actually looks a little bit better than the TUV3OO's one! Not that the Quanto is beautiful or anything by any sense, not at all; but at least it's not squared off and curved at the wrong places. Though all we have seen of the TUV is a pre-launch leak of a low end variant, so my opinion could well change, but as the overall design looked, this one - to me - fares a bit better than that one. Anyway it was mostly the front of the current Quanto that made it look terrible, apart from the dimensions, and that has been fixed for good. Though two things it badly needs are big alloy wheels and nice fat tyres. Those puny ugly 14/15-inchers that made it look like an oversized belly on tiny legs just won't do now.
Old 14th August 2015, 15:46   #77
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto

Looks too much like the old Quanto.

The changes cannot be evolutionary for a dud but need to be revolutionary and I don't see anything revolutionary under the covers pasted on essentially a design similar to the current one.
Old 14th August 2015, 16:12   #78
BHPian

What is it with every manufacturer, creating sub 4m cars? It looks tall like a Mahindra Scorpio, but the rear part has been cut off to be less than 4m to give it a WagonR look! It seems like a ladder on frame chassis (correct me if wrong), but length is small. Is it a people mover with 8 seats or an Ecosport competitor?
Not everyone in India wants an SUV, so Mahindra need not do this! They are the King of SUVs in India, and they don't need to ruin their reputation by falling prey to this 4m game.
Old 14th August 2015, 18:35   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Even if you discount the appearance, what makes me curious is whether this product has any other presently relevant USP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Xylo was launched before XUV.
Now, since your experience is with Xylo, let me assure you, Xylo is actually quite underrated. Xylo has quite a few things going for it. Infact, it makes better sense to buy a Xylo than a 2wd Scorpio. But the compact/tail-cut Xylo (Quanto) is a completely different game altogether. Its engine is quite unrefined and in the name of spaciousness all it has is width.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Well, I was the 'Autocar reader' who gave the pics!! And I'd also got a good look at the interiors. But one thing. Can't tell for sure; but as far as I heard, the engine was surprisingly quiet for a 3-cylinder mahindra diesel! The driver didn't quite Rev it while i was tailing the car, but it never sounded particularly harsh or noisy.
I'd just like to add my two-penny worth here. There is no question that the Quanto is a 24-carat ugly duckling - no getting away from that!
But about its engine; I have driven a friend's Quanto, and it is certainly more refined than the earlier Innova's and Octavia's.
Add the fact that it is a 3-cyl engine, without any frills like balancer shafts etc, and also the fact that it has twin scroll t/charging, without any of the accompanying hiccups often found in that breed.
And that it it hit the 100 bhp mark at its first outing (which with further development will certainly add to its grunt).
I think the Quanto had a great deal going for it if only the M&M boffins had spent more time on styling it well.
Old 14th September 2015, 00:05   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Should I be honest here? Okay, please spare my life, but to me this facelifted Quanto's design actually looks a little bit better than the TUV3OO's one! Not that the Quanto is beautiful or anything by any sense, not at all; but at least it's not squared off and curved at the wrong places. Though all we have seen of the TUV is a pre-launch leak of a low end variant, so my opinion could well change, but as the overall design looked, this one - to me - fares a bit better than that one. Anyway it was mostly the front of the current Quanto that made it look terrible, apart from the dimensions, and that has been fixed for good. Though two things it badly needs are big alloy wheels and nice fat tyres. Those puny ugly 14/15-inchers that made it look like an oversized belly on tiny legs just won't do now.
Okay, I admit my opinion is quite expectedly different now. The TUV does look quite good, maybe even better than this 'Canto', but the Quanto facelift can potentially look pretty decent as well.

However, I doubt Mahindra's strategy here. I heard Dr. Goenka, their boss say in an interview that they are not planning to take out the Quanto anytime soon, and it will coexist with the TUV, and cater to a slightly different customer base, and the idea does sound legit. Not everyone would like a boxy SUV. But when the other option is a Quanto, which has a really bad image, despite being a very decent product, I'm not sure people would care about it later on. Though, if the image part is sorted, and Mahindra manages to sell even 50-100 Quantos every month after the facelift, all the better for them. And that too won't be bad for a 100-crore project.

Last edited by mukul32 : 14th September 2015 at 00:06.
Old 14th September 2015, 09:38   #81
Team-BHP Support

With the TUV & upcoming S101, IMHO, M&M should let Quanto RIP. Lesser targets to be wary of.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 11:42   #82
BHPian

Saw it this morning while driving from mumbai to pune, near the talegoan tool booth. Sorry dont have pics as i was driving and there was no one along with me.
It looks very odd and the proportions are all a miss but there was little mistaking the fact that this thing could take off and dissappear in a jiffy. There was a drag race on going with a Audi possibly an A4 and this thing did well. They both dissappeared while i was minding my business of staying withing the speed limits.
Old 22nd September 2015, 14:10   #83
BHPian

Now IAB ( aka SRK ) has done the rendering. Could look better in select bright colors

rajesh.palaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 14:22   #84
BHPian

From the IAB rendering, my views:
- The tiny wheels look like the wheels on a tricycle which infants use to learn walking.
- The front looks macho and big, but as we approach the rear, it seems like the rear has disappeared or cut into half.
- The height of the glass is a bit more, and the waist lines are too low.
- The tail glasses are an eyesore. It could be placed better. TUV's tail glasses were given a much better look.

Let us believe the real product comes as a surprise (in terms of design and looks) to us.

Apart from design, what I don't understand is why should they introduce a facelift for Quanto, while they got a worthy replacement in TUV300. Probably M&M want to provide more compact SUV choices to customer, just to bring customer to showrooms, and don't care if they cant sell Quanto, as long as customer buys something. (Strategy adopted by Maruti by offering many products in same price bracket / same segment). If so, why a facelift now.
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:02   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post

Apart from design, what I don't understand is why should they introduce a facelift for Quanto, while they got a worthy replacement in TUV300. Probably M&M want to provide more compact SUV choices to customer, just to bring customer to showrooms, and don't care if they cant sell Quanto, as long as customer buys something. (Strategy adopted by Maruti by offering many products in same price bracket / same segment). If so, why a facelift now.
Exactly. Changing the design seems very unlikely, so I doubt there will be many (or any) sheet metal changes. So a mere cosmetic job is not going to help. I wonder if any M&M dealer would promote Quanto when they have better alternative in TUV.
Old 23rd September 2015, 13:56   #86
BHPian

They should have really reduced the roof height. This would make it more stable as it would lower the center of gravity. Now the roof height is unnecessarily tall.
Old 23rd September 2015, 14:38   #87
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

One corrects the problems with Quanto design and ends up with the TUV 300. And those who find the TUV 300 to be too squarish can look at the Quanto and be thankful for the absence of curves.

Of course all within the 4 mtrs GOI (Government of India) limit. The GOI probably put the 4 mtrs limit in order to not tax the small car buyer too much and we instead have all the manufacturers rushing to make their big cars fit into 4 mtrs using a hacksaw.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 15:03   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Of course all within the 4 mtrs GOI (Government of India) limit. The GOI probably put the 4 mtrs limit in order to not tax the small car buyer too much and we instead have all the manufacturers rushing to make their big cars fit into 4 mtrs using a hacksaw.
To bend the limits imposed by the Government, manufacturers will go any length. Now we have MPVs, SUVs, Sedans, Premium hatchbacks all within the 4m space.
If at all Government wants to really put small cars at advantage, they should restrict the duty rule to 3.5m. If they have tax advantages at 3.5m, I do not think anyone would come up with sedans, SUVs, etc in that restrcited space. Even premium hatchbacks would be designed more than 4m, as there would be no advantage in restricting to 4m.

Whatever, this good 4m rule has given the opportunity to own a sedan for many middle class families spending half the money of usual > 4m sedans!
Old 23rd September 2015, 15:42   #89
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
To bend the limits imposed by the Government, manufacturers will go any length. Now we have MPVs, SUVs, Sedans, Premium hatchbacks all within the 4m space.
If at all Government wants to really put small cars at advantage, they should restrict the duty rule to 3.5m. If they have tax advantages at 3.5m, I do not think anyone would come up with sedans, SUVs, etc in that restrcited space. Even premium hatchbacks would be designed more than 4m, as there would be no advantage in restricting to 4m.

Whatever, this good 4m rule has given the opportunity to own a sedan for many middle class families spending half the money of usual > 4m sedans!
Yes but if the Govt. now changes the policy we and the manufacturers will slam it for changing policy after all the companies have invested in modifying vehicles to fit under 4 mtrs.

Ideally they should forget about the length of the vehicle and simply tax basis the price at which a vehicle is sold so one can buy a sub 4 or beyond 4 mtrs hatch for 5L, 10L 15L 20L.. and be taxed accordingly basis the ex showroom price of the vehicle. If a manufacturer is prepared to sell a 5 mtr SUV for say 5L or 8L rather than 15L then that manufacturer and hence the buying customers should gain the benefit of the same rather than being limited to the size of the vehicle.

Anyways that is OT and yes the TUV series does look better than the Xylo/Quanto Series..
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 21:24   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Quanto AWD with 120HP Launched in Italy.

Mahindra has launched the India-made Quanto in Italy with a 2.2 liter mHawk four cylinder diesel engine which generates 120 hp power at 4,000 rpm and 280 Nm torque at 1,800 rpm. In addition to this more powerful engine, Quanto also gets an electric 4WD drive system on board the top of the line variant as an option!

The article also goes on to say that this may be available in India as part of the face lift

Quote:
Considering that Mahindra is working on a Quanto facelift, we can expect the 120 hp 2.2 liter option with 4WD on offer in India very soon.

Source: Rushlane
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks