Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2015, 11:55   #391
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
As for comparing with the GT twins, power is not every thing, you do need good steering, ride/handling package with the power provided.
As far as sedan/hatch goes, the VW's or Skoda is behind the Fiat as well as Ford. Steering feel or the chassis composure, at both occasions, they march well ahead of the competition.

Drive a Fiesta or a Linea or drive a Punto and a Figo or the earlier Ikon's/Fiesta's. They sure will put a smile on your face.

Manufacturers don't make it like that anymore.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 12:58   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Drive a Fiesta or a Linea or drive a Punto and a Figo or the earlier Ikon's/Fiesta's. They sure will put a smile on your face.

Manufacturers don't make it like that anymore.
Apart from the chassis, the hydraulic steering was a significant quotient in the FTD factor of these cars.
(I have a Figo & a Vento, Figo is the daily commute and the Vento for the highway - I enjoy both! ).
Old 6th July 2015, 13:27   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Yesterday, travelled in a Vento(a newly bought Tsi) for the first time.
Next time, make sure you drive it, with the dsg stick on 'S'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
what a boring place to be in, the interior design is so lackluster and uninviting
I too prefer the interiors appointments of a Fiat over a VW. There is one thing Fiat need to sort out though. Quality of materials. It is patchy. You won't find this on the German. Every thing is well put together and there is elegance to the overall design. Choice of color and texture is to ones own taste.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 14:43   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

I was visiting Gurgaon in last week of June and happened to see a Fiat Avventura with masked out markings while going with my brother on Golf course road. It flashed past us and before we could make out what it was and take a snap, it had disappeared. I couldn't make out if there were stickers on lower part of doors or the number plates. Now looking at snaps here, I somehow feel its the same as black one. And it was followed by a black Punto, both being driven somewhat rashly.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 6th July 2015 at 14:44.
Old 6th July 2015, 15:14   #395
Senior - BHPian

This report on Motor Octane suggests that the Abarth Punto will be unveiled on August 4th.

Source - http://motoroctane.com/news/15220-ab...-on-4th-august
safari_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 22:45   #396
BHPian

Let's say we remap it to about 160BHP, will the gearbox be able to handle it? Anyone know the ratings of the 5 speed gearbox?
Old 6th July 2015, 23:09   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
Let's say we remap it to about 160BHP, will the gearbox be able to handle it? Anyone know the ratings of the 5 speed gearbox?

I don't intend to be a spoil sport. If the punto with the T jet comes with the current 5 speed box for the 135 bhp tune; unless, one really fiddles with the ratios there is not going to be much gain in real world performance or drivability. I don't know how it would perform on a track. But I don't see much point in flogging a horse if the wagon as a whole is not tunes for the setup.

I really really hope that fiat for a change gives the enthusiast what they really want. I have owned a uno diesel, Palio gtx and the Palio multijet. I really hated the Palio multijet, cause they had probably the worst ratios for that engine.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th July 2015 at 11:54. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
differential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 02:02   #398
BHPian

The gear ratios on the Linea t-jet are really well-matched, imo, to the engine's tune/torque curve etc, so...? But then this subject of gear-ratios is always irreducibly 'subjective', a matter of one's taste+traffic conditions, is it not?

Let's see, i cannot see this as an issue or deal-breaker, at least not with this engine! ;-)
desdemona is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 12:12   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
I don't intend to be a spoil sport. If the punto with the T jet comes with the current 5 speed box for the 135 bhp tune; unless, one really fiddles with the ratios there is not going to be much gain in real world performance or drivability. I don't know how it would perform on a track. But I don't see much point in flogging a horse if the wagon as a whole is not tunes for the setup.

I really really hope that fiat for a change gives the enthusiast what they really want. I have owned a uno diesel, Palio gtx and the Palio multijet. I really hated the Palio multijet, cause they had probably the worst ratios for that engine.
You might have missed the post here which says that the 2nd and 3rd gear ratios are tweaked and the gear movement is not as rubbery as it used to be. TJet gear boxes did not have that much of an issue in the first place.

The short 1st and 2nd ratio which are much talked about are all about MJD Punto GBs and not Linea TJets. The movement could have been rubbery in TJet as well but certainly not the gear ratio issues.
Old 7th July 2015, 12:17   #400
BHPian

Quote:
I don't intend to be a spoil sport. If the punto with the T jet comes with the current 5 speed box for the 135 bhp tune; unless, one really fiddles with the ratios there is not going to be much gain in real world performance or drivability..
Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
The gear ratios on the Linea t-jet are really well-matched, imo, to the engine's tune/torque curve etc, so...? But then this subject of gear-ratios is always irreducibly 'subjective', a matter of one's taste+traffic conditions, is it not?

Let's see, i cannot see this as an issue or deal-breaker, at least not with this engine! ;-)

Heard from a birdie that test drove the T-Jet Punto, that the gear ratios weren't fiddled and is same as in the Evo. However, he did mention, on the similar lines as desdemona, that the gear shifting was much smoother and the power transfer was much better.
I'm not sure how often these would be taken to the track though it could be a pain to drive in the city traffic with so much power available on tap and requiring frequent shifting.
21Archer84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 14:54   #401
BHPian

On the contrary, far fewer shifts required in plodding/slow/flowing/variable traffic: it's a turbopetrol with much less lag than equivalent diesels, speaking from experience with the t-jet on the new Linea, that is. One can stay in second or third or even often fourth gear even as the now-slowing-now-accelerating-now-steadyily-moving urban traffic flow happens: normally far fewer gear shifts (esp down) needed in city traffic.
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 15:41   #402
BHPian

Makes discussion interesting. I guess we need to wait for the real deal.
I hope fiat guys a reading this and suddenly answer our prayers with a ' de chromed, lowered car with a subtle body kit with a diffuser et al & (wishful thinking) a sport exhaust with twin tail pipes'. Now if wishes were horses!
differential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 16:29   #403
BHPian

Quote:
I hope fiat guys a reading this and suddenly answer our prayers with a ' de chromed, lowered car with a subtle body kit with a diffuser et al & (wishful thinking) a sport exhaust with twin tail pipes'. Now if wishes were horses!
But you are too optimistic buddy. You know it takes some good amount of time to make such changes, atleast to the powertrain and aerodynamics, especially when it's FIAT. I hope your wishes come true, atleast in the next iteration of the Abarth models.
Old 7th July 2015, 17:40   #404
BHPian

differential,
According to the motoroctane post, at least some of your wishes are fulfilled :

Quote:
The Punto will have the same chassis like the Punto Evo, however it will have lowered and stiffer suspension, bigger wheels and sporty exhaust note too.
http://motoroctane.com/news/15220-ab...-on-4th-august

Quote:
Dechroming I'm not concerned about - nothing some vinyl and glossy tape can't fix. I'd drool over twin tail pipes though !
Old 7th July 2015, 20:16   #405
BHPian

Happy to see people with similar tastes. Let us at least dream together. Watched a video of the Abarth essess on YouTube. We really are short changed here😔
Closed Thread

Most Viewed