Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2015, 19:54   #46
BHPian

Re: Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!

The best thing Fiat has done in a very long time in India as far as launches are concerned. Punto has always deserved this turbo engine from the start as the current 1.2 and even 1.4 were unimpressive in a heavy hatch.

I think Fiat should just pull the plug off the current petrol engines of Punto and keep only TJet in 2-3 variants. The current Petrol Puntos hardly sells as it is.

Unless one is looking for an auto I see little in favor of Polo GT TSI, I would any day go for Punto TJet.
Old 23rd January 2015, 20:43   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
In the ensuing 6 months Fiat would have sold an eviable 35 Evo TJets. Fiat would do themselves a lot of good by following the general market trend.
The motormouth 'hot hatch enthusiasts' could do better by 'putting their money where ......'
While I share a bit of cynicism towards the 'enthusiast' segment, I do feel that Fiat has been slow to act and react in Indian market. I spoke to a few dealers and the numbers they reveal in terms of foot-fall isn't anywhere close to what the competition gets. They are missing out on creating the buzz, to pull anyone beyond Fiat fans and their friends.

They should have launched Avventura before Evo especially when the two looked identical without the cladding. Avventura deserved the T-jet engine from day 1 but now due to the low nos. it will be termed a market dud.

I hope they remain focused on the enthusiast market and not make another "Linea classic" while trying to follow general market trend.

I also hope that with the new leadership, Fiat starts taking better decisions.
Biraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 20:50   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Now we will see how the 'Hot Hatch Starved' population jump up and down on seeing this and then go buy an i20 Elite.
That would be the post of the year if there was one, ever !

I have seen a lot of people wanting more power in hatchbacks so that they can go pick up one. Some even say they would have picked up a Punto if it was slightly more powerful (Yes, they finally bought a Maruti or a Hyundai). This engine can get to even higher state of tune if it is remapped. Some have already done that to the Linea. Now let us wait and see how many would actually buy THE PUNTO.

Good times ahead I believe ! Cheers to all !!
DieselAddikt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 21:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

My colleague has reportedly seen camouflaged Aventurra being tested in Pune. So the news news may well be true. We may soon see a Tjet Aventurra if not Punto.

But why would you camouflage if only the engine is changed?
Old 23rd January 2015, 21:36   #50
BHPian

Let me be the fortune teller.
1. Reviews will praise the car.
2. Petrol costs will be back to 80s by the time they make up their mind and launch!
3. Everyone will start mocking its mileage. (fiat palio 1.6/adventure 1.6 remember?)
4. Reviews will blame the pricing overlaps.
5. They will have great ads to start with and fizzle out without notice.
6. It will result in double digit monthly sales

PS: I am as eager to drive it as anyone else.
kvish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 22:11   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
I think Fiat should just pull the plug off the current petrol engines of Punto and keep only TJet in 2-3 variants. The current Petrol Puntos hardly sells as it is.
1.2L won't move out (at-least from Active variant) to maintain the "Price starting from xxx" tactics (along with excise duty benefit?)
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 04:06   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Linea Tjet Emotion is priced at 9.02L ex-showroom.
Yeah pretty close there, also factor in the discounts that are offered on the T-Jet, so I guess the price difference will be lesser, however I am of the opinion and it could be just me, that Fiat need not target the price conscious customers with later discounts and rather price it perfect initially, enthusiasts no matter what will go for a Fiat irrespective of the price. Despite the close to a million sticker price the GT Tsi has been well received and I guess VW may be making more profits on a Tsi than a regular Polo.
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 07:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

I am really glad FIAT is (finally) putting the T-jet into the Punto. Something they could have - and should have - done years ago.

Could we also get the suspension dropped down to more sensible levels please? As in, no more pseudo SUV stance, hunkered down hot hatch stance?

My cheque book will come out of my pocket for this car, as soon as the discounts roll in
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 08:11   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Could we also get the suspension dropped down to more sensible levels please? As in, no more pseudo SUV stance, hunkered down hot hatch stance?
Agree! However there is a fix! The low GC suspension is a direct fit and it boosts handling by miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
My cheque book will come out of my pocket for this car, as soon as the discounts roll in
+1! This car will be a worthy upgrade to my Palio. Better start saving from now and hope this car is a flop so that I can snatch one by year end with massive discounts

Last edited by GTO : 24th January 2015 at 16:26. Reason: Typo
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 08:34   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
Unless one is looking for an auto I see little in favor of Polo GT TSI, I would any day go for Punto TJet.
I picked up the TSI for the added benefit of ESP and the sheer quality of interiors.
There is quite a difference between the punto and the polo gt.
I believe that one would go for the Punto T-Jet :
1.Manual
2.Hydraulic steering
3.Build Quality
4.Price
The GT TSI buying crowd isn't all redline this! Most of them are the ones who own a D segment car and look for a small car that has a brilliant auto box.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 10:08   #56
BHPian

I really don't like people cribbing about the low numbers in which Tjet Punto will sell. That shouldn't be the very first thing we talk about. After all, we are teambhp, we shouldn't forget it. It's a good car with excellent dynamics, sturdy build, let down by a weak petrol engine. If they can put the Tjet in it, hence fixing the problem, we should praise it, worry about the second big problem, i.e. the long throw rubbery gearshift and that long travel clutch, we should talk about the suspension that is set higher to our likening. Price is also one of the topics, but the number in which it will sell is just less relevant for us people. Let Fiat management worry about that. We stand for the automotive scene in India. Let's not judge a car even before it's launched. Its a Fiat, of course no need for Maruti and others to worry. Of course they won't even remotely take it as a threat or a challenge, and we won't see a Swift Sport as a result of a Punto Tjet launch. Lets be practical and precise, sticking to the core topic, the proposition of a Tjet Punto.

Last edited by GTO : 24th January 2015 at 16:29. Reason: Typos
itsashishsharma is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 10:25   #57
BHPian

That's a sensible thing to do! It may not increase the sales numbers by a ton, but at least those opting for the new Fiats will be as happy as Linea Tjet customers. High time Fiat brought the fun quotient into the Avventura.
Old 24th January 2015, 11:20   #58
BHPian

I hope FIAT prices it sensibly right from the beginning instead of rolling in massive discounts later. It'll be a display of bad sign towards the early adopters, which will bring down the value of their cars and make them feel cheated for paying a heavy premium.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 11:49   #59
BHPian

Whether its a T-jet or a Jumbo-jet, Fiat won't sell in India.. Their cars are too bland to buy and resell.
Its better they just make engines instead of coming up with tricks that make little sense to sensible buyers.
Old 24th January 2015, 11:58   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Their cars are too bland to buy and resell.
Can you please elaborate this? A Punto T-Jet and too bland in the same statement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
tricks that make little sense to sensible buyers.
I'm sure a Punto T-Jet makes a lot of sense to many enthusiasts on T-BHP. So, the buyers on T-BHP are not sensible? Or do you mean to say that only the mass market people who buy Maruti and Hyundai are sensible? Care to elaborate again?

Last edited by theredliner : 24th January 2015 at 12:00.
theredliner is offline   (16) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks