Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2015, 17:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata's new passenger cars not for taxi market

They just need to make cars with top notch quality, Its a misconception that people don't buy vehicles which are used in taxis.
Innova has been a taxi owners favoured car since a while, yet people buy it for private use as well.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 18:27   #17
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO - a BIG % of own-Tatas (not taxis) were bought because public perceived 'if the taxi wallah can abuse it so much, it will last longer in my hands'...
+1 to that. Currently own a manza and back in 2010 this was my thought that tilted my buying decision in Manza's favor (vs verna). Not regretting it so far
sathish81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 18:37   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Does this include the Zest also? I'm asking coz I have seen a Zest with yellow plates in Patna.
Old 27th January 2015, 18:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
My thoughts exactly. They should create a brand (for ex. TCV- tata commercial vehicles) and bring all CVs under that umbrella. That way, the same platform (for ex. a Xenon) can be sold under two brands catering to two different clientele.
I see in some Cities (well, at least in my place) M&M dealers keep Bolero and other UVs (yes - including Bolero) in separate show rooms, as they want to focus and attend differently on cars with different buyers. Tata can do it. Taxi vehicles from another dealer (or same dealers having show room separately).
Old 27th January 2015, 19:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The only way is to avoid fleet sales and discounting. It all depends if the new cars takes sales to another level.

Remember when the Logan came out. It had taxi written all over it but M&M refused to sell it as such. Poor sales meant the only buyers were taxi companes who bought at huge fleet discounts
The other thing is - state transport authorities have to certify a car model as a taxi (after the manufacturer submits the car to them for evaluation). This may involve additional requirements as well, such as fitting of CNG kits in some jurisdictions.

Simple enough for TML to just not submit zest or bolt while submitting any refresh of the indica / indigo and possibly manza platforms.

eg: http://www.delhi.gov.in/DoIT/DoIT_Transport/trrs31.pdf

14. The vehicle approved for commercial taxis like Ford Ikon, Opel Astra, Mitsubishi Lancer, Fiat Palio etc shall also be allowed to be registered as radio taxi, provided, they are fitted with appropriate CNG kits by approved retrofitters.

Last edited by GTO : 28th January 2015 at 14:21. Reason: Typo
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 21:12   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

This is great news, and for Tata, a very relevant paradigm shift. This will mean that Tata has to develop products in-line with the times to keep the numbers rolling and an improvement in ownership experience.

I would give Tata moral support, breathing space and a 5-year status check window to determine whether their very correct change in approach is backed up by good execution.
theMAG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 21:52   #22
BHPian

As long as its cars look like Indica, it will always be seen as a taxi. They had a chance to change their design language with the TATA Prima(I think), it generated lot of interest, wonder what happened to it. One example I see is how Mercs changed their design, it looks so new and fresh compared to the same looking BMWs and Audis.
Old 28th January 2015, 14:26   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Tata should spin off the taxi cab business into a different brand like 'Indica' or 'Indicab', with it's own dealership and service network distinct from the passenger/private segment.
Unviable as their private car sales are so poor right now that dealerships are finding it hard to make ends meet. The sales / dealer are too paltry...that's one of the reasons you see so many Tata car dealerships disappearing (and few new ones appearing).

Taxi sales are still profitable. Existing passenger car dealers won't agree to 'gift' them to commercial vehicle dealers.

Related Article: Forbes India

Quote:
Wasan had been waiting for this opportunity for a long time and he didn’t hold back. Sales had plummeted to 225 units per month compared to an average of 900 units in 2008-09. Despite all kinds of marketing pushes—buy a Nano with a credit card, exchange your old motorcycle for a Nano—the car had remained a non-starter. It was the same story with the Manza, the Indica, the Safari and the Aria. There were hardly any footfalls in his showroom and his sales staff was demoralised.

“With these issues, I will not have enough money to even pay salaries to my staff. In fact, I have been thinking of closing this dealership because I have been making losses for the last two years,” he told Slym.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 09:45   #24
BHPian

How is it the company's business what the customer uses the car for? As long as no motor vehicles laws are violated, how can a company interfere in registration process to not let it be registered as "Taxi"?

This is such a poor attempt by Tata to try to change its image. They talk as if they asked everyone to register it as Taxi last time around. When you make poor quality products, this is what happens. You not only make a poor product, now you tell the customer what to do with that product, seems like you have just run over your own foot and this will probably be the beginning of the end of Tata cars.
Old 29th January 2015, 10:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The other thing is - state transport authorities have to certify a car model as a taxi (after the manufacturer submits the car to them for evaluation). This may involve additional requirements as well, such as fitting of CNG kits in some jurisdictions.

Simple enough for TML to just not submit zest or bolt while submitting any refresh of the indica / indigo and possibly manza platforms.
Most taxis in our country are privately registered vehicles illegally used as taxis. There's not much the company can do to change that.

If this report is true, it's not a good move on TM's part. Taxi sales also contribute to turnover and profits, don't they?
Old 29th January 2015, 10:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Such vehicles won't get a yellow board license plate, and can be hauled up for operating a taxi with a private car
Old 29th January 2015, 16:02   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking at the current Tata cars line up its hard for them to get good sales in the taxi market. So its high time before the taxi market dumps Tata, they should back off themselves.

Reasons-

Tata Indica/Vista- Still manage a fair sales figure in the taxi market. But with Cng, Maruti Eeco is taking the place of Indica with more seats and nearly same or cheaper price tag than the Indica.
Private owners will prefer the Bolt from the Tata stable.

Tata Manza/ Indigo- They had good share but its heavily dented by cars like Verito, Etios, Dzire tour, Ford classic.
Private owners will prefer the Zest from the Tata stable.

Tata Sumo- Once it was there bread and butter Muv in the taxi market. Now cab owners hardly buy Sumo's. Instead they opt for Bolero, xylo, Scorpio, Tavera, Enjoy or the costlier Innova.
Private owners prefer the Scorpio, Xuv, xylo, Innova. From the Tata stable private car owners don't have a nice car to choose in this segment. As of now Tata is clearly lacking a competitive product in this segment.

Tata Aria- I have seen few Aria in the premium taxi segment but still in that segment the top model Innova with the captain seats is what the fleet owners prefer to buy.
Private car owners pick up the Xuv or the Innova eyes closed in this segment. So Tata don't even have a chance over here.

Coming to the cars targeted to the non taxi owners / private users they hold a fair chance with these Four products-

Tata Nano- The cheapest car available in the market. But the cheap tag is going against this car. So customers prefer paying a bit more and opt for the Alto 800. Its not a car which will appeal the Taxi market.

Tata Bolt- Looks like the Vista but if Tata plans not to sale this car as cab they hold a fair chance. Its a promising and value for money product. They can target around 3,000 units per month. Taxi owners should like this product but if Tata refrain from selling it to the taxi fleet they have to be happy with the Vista.
Plus private car buyers have a lot of choice in this segment.

Tata Zest- A very attractive package. Over all a promising car. Private car owners should like this car. In its sub 4 meter segment it offer the best value for money. Sub four meter cars with the small boot are not very appealing for the Taxi owners who look for sedans.
For private car owners still Dzire is the undisputed king of this segment.

Safari storm- This car is not for the taxi market. Arguably one of the most comfortable and effective off-roader available in this price bracket, plus a refreshed storm is coming up.
Customers have promising options like the Scorpio, Xuv or the duster too.

The last four mentioned products are really promising and if the infamous Tata niggles has been addressed in these cars they hold a fair chance to get a good sales figure in the private car market. Combining all these four they can target around 10,000-15,000 units per month.

Last edited by Samba : 29th January 2015 at 16:18.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 16:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Such vehicles won't get a yellow board license plate, and can be hauled up for operating a taxi with a private car
The crucial words in your statement are "can be". My question is "Are they?"

Our country is great in making laws, not in enforcing them. Most Indian taxis do not have yellow license plate.
Old 29th January 2015, 19:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
The crucial words in your statement are "can be". My question is "Are they?"

Our country is great in making laws, not in enforcing them. Most Indian taxis do not have yellow license plate.
Well - the thing is, if and when a cop feels, he is quite likely to haul you up for operating a taxi without a license.

There's a tbhp thread on a guy who bought a 2nd hand innova with a luggage rack. Just because of the rack + a white board, cops used to pull him over for paper verification all the time, till he got the rack removed.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...workhorse.html
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 01:03   #30
Team-BHP Support

I wonder how many people don't buy a Tata vehicle only because it is also used as a taxi. I bet the no. of people not choosing a Tata because of quality/reliability is much more than those who don't because there are taxi variants of that car.

As long as they fix that: bring out great products, make them reliable and have a premium build, they shouldn't have to worry about who's using them.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 30th January 2015 at 01:04.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks