Team-BHP - Next-gen Tata Sumo coming on 'Raptor' platform
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Next-gen Tata Sumo coming on 'Raptor' platform (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/160081-next-gen-tata-sumo-coming-raptor-platform.html)

Quote:

What’s most interesting about this new Raptor platform is that it will break with convention and will not be built on ladder-on-frame architecture, nor it will use a car-like pure monocoque setup. Instead, it will use a new technology known as the ‘Body Integrated Frame’ where, as the name suggests, the frame is integrated or welded into the chassis. This allows the company flexibility with the cars it builds on this platform – for example, choosing a stiff, heavy frame for vehicles that are likely to go off road, versus a lighter one for SUVs which are more car-like. So the new Sumo could have the correct level of stiffness, while still being much lighter and more efficient than its rivals.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...rm-392980.aspx

Am very interested to see the outcome of this project, i hope Tata's fast track this project.

I am really impressed in the way Mahindra's coming up with the shortened Bolero. Hope Tata comes up with a Sumo replacement that is as strong and butch-looking.

This is good news for the MUV segment. The Sumo appears to have run out of steam long ago, while the Bolero continues to rake in huge profits month after month for Mahindra. The Force Trax only has a negligible presence and Chevrolet's Tavera is also on a path of steady decline. Only fresh blood from Tata can shake up this segment. They also have to prepare to take on Mahindra's upcoming next generation sub-4m Bolero, which is undergoing extensive road tests at the moment.

Quote:

What’s most interesting about this new Raptor platform is that it will break with convention and will not be built on ladder-on-frame architecture, nor it will use a car-like pure monocoque setup. Instead, it will use a new technology known as the ‘Body Integrated Frame’ where, as the name suggests, the frame is integrated or welded into the chassis.
This sounds interesting for sure. I guess it's going to be something like the Suzuki Grand Vitara's monocoque chassis with an in-built ladder frame:

Next-gen Tata Sumo coming on 'Raptor' platform-image.jpg

Edit: It's nice to see Tata codename their new vehicles after our feathered friends - Falcon, Kite, Pelican, Eagle, Raptor etc. :)

The Aria has a phenomenal chassis - as seen in the Aria & Storme, it can offer an amazing balance between ride quality & on-road behaviour. Considering their investment on that chassis has been written off (Aria = flop), why not use it for the next Sumo? The way things are today, Tata has too many platforms and too few sales.

Cost is surely not the reason. If they could sell the Aria at <10 lakhs, surely the lesser clothes, interior & mechanicals of the Sumo can make the chassis viable at 7 - 8 lakhs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3632421)
Considering their investment on that chassis has been written off (Aria = flop), why not use it for the next Sumo?

"You are talking absolute sense. Please stop it before we make intellects of ourselves" - Tata Motors

Seriously, I too have wondered why they have been lagging on this. Not just Sumo but they could've just chopped a bunch of SUV design on that chassis and called it a day. Go after Ertiga, Bolero etc.

Rather than investing in Sumo or Sumo Grande, another flop, TATA should think of resurrecting SIERRA with completely new design and some really good engine.
I owned Sierra Turbo from 1997 to 2001 and still feel guilty for selling her off.

Is anyone at TATA MOTORS listening?

Raab rakha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3632421)
The Aria has a phenomenal chassis - as seen in the Aria & Storme, it can offer an amazing balance between ride quality & on-road behaviour. Considering their investment on that chassis has been written off (Aria = flop), why not use it for the next Sumo? The way things are today, Tata has too many platforms and too few sales.

Cost is surely not the reason. If they could sell the Aria at <10 lakhs, surely the lesser clothes, interior & mechanicals of the Sumo can make the chassis viable at 7 - 8 lakhs.

While the chassis itself may be good (I would not call it phenomenal) the new platform, from what I can understand, is about weight savings. Tata cars have always been overweight relative to the competition. The Storme uses Aria's chassis and yet is heavier than considerably larger SUV's like Fortuner and Endeavor. Even the Scorpio is lighter by a whopping 200 kgs.

I am pretty sure Tata will use the same tech going further in their SUV and MUV lineup since it can be tuned optimally for both weight and stiffness as per the application/need.

It's good to see positive news trickling in from TATA stable. Zest, Bolt and now this. I was reading on some other forum/blog that a more comprehensively face-lifted Aria is on the cards for next calendar year and the Aria-AT has also been spied already. Hopefully good times in store for Tata Motors

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 3632430)
While the chassis itself may be good (I would not call it phenomenal) the new platform, from what I can understand, is about weight savings. Tata cars have always been overweight relative to the competition.

True that. Tata shaved 200 kilos off on the Aria 4x2 by removing the AWD & some other bits. If we safely assume the Aria 4x2 weighs 1,900 kilos, a Sumo's cheaper clothes, interiors, equipment & mechanicals can easily make it lighter by another 150 - 200 kilos.

1,700 isn't too bad when you consider the Toyota Innova starts at 1,660.

Even at the current weight, thanks to that jewel of a 2.2L diesel, Tata's UVs are acceptably fuel-efficient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariesonu (Post 3632429)
Rather than investing in Sumo or Sumo Grande, another flop, TATA should think of resurrecting SIERRA with completely new design and some really good engine.

A niche vehicle that would garner 3-digit sales at best. Not bad, but not the solution to Tata's current problems.

While all this discussion over the news trickling down from TML is fine.
However we have to remember that one of the most important reasons behind the undoing of TML is the slow pace at which they bought newer products to the market.

The Storme should have happened atleast a couple of years earlier than it did.
The refreshed Storme should have already been in the market by this time.
The Zest and the bolt should have happened in 2012 for them to have any significant impact to the market share.

I concur with the GTO's input completely, but then knowing TATA MOTORS,
i guess this chassis will take ages to come to the actual market and when it comes it may not get deserved relevance from the market.
This is where the MUL, Hyundai India and Mahindra have been nailing it.
They have kept on giving newer improved products to the market 1 after the another. Look at an Ei20, the Original i20 was already ahead of it's time, but still the Ei20 happened and see the sales numbers it is garnering.

If TATA's were really so keen they would have never let the Sumo become so irrelevant to the market as it is today. They never really updated it.
They did come up with a Grande which was supposed to look as appealing and aesthetic as a Xenon, but no it looked uniquely bulbous so much so that that it would never appeal to most of us.

I mean even today , they can use the existing Aria chasis, for a Sumo, price it at 7-8l weighing not more than 1600-1700 kgs. May be it starts churning a good 2000+ numbers. But if this had to happen it would have already happened in 2011-2012 period.

I wonder what the top honchos at TML are smoking sometimes.

Nevertheless, this rant of mine is more due to the fact that i would love to see more from TATA MOTORS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3633149)
True that. Tata shaved 200 kilos off on the Aria 4x2 by removing the AWD & some other bits. If we safely assume the Aria 4x2 weighs 1,900 kilos, a Sumo's cheaper clothes, interiors, equipment & mechanicals can easily make it lighter by another 150 - 200 kilos. 1,700 isn't too bad when you consider the Toyota Innova starts at 1,660.

So how much do you think the Sumo weighs? Under the excise regulations existing at the time of its launch in 1994, 8 seat vehicles attracted a still lower duty if the weight was 1700 kilos or more. To attain that weight, all early Sumos came factory-fitted with bull bar and roof carrier - the actual weight was below 1700 kilos! The figure might be a little higher for the current model because of the bigger 3 litre engine and features like AC but then it doesn't come with bull bar and roof carrier either. Aria chassis is only slightly lighter than the older 207/Sumo/Safari chassis, although it is a lot tougher.

Quote:

Originally Posted by directinjection (Post 3633900)
So how much do you think the Sumo weighs? .

The NA Victa was 1800 kg's, without the accesories. The TCIC Victa was 1850 kg ..

As per Motorbeam, Raptor project on hols and another 'face-lift' of Sumo planned. Knowing TATA (based on Storme experience) we can safely assume launch of this face-lift in next 18-24 months and Raptor to be a dream to be a forgotten.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/05/car...sumo-facelift/

They are already working duscreetly on improving the current Sumo. Got to know today that the new Sumo Gold is being rolled out with rack & pinion steering mechanism, giving a better steering feel than before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 3632430)
The Storme uses Aria's chassis and yet is heavier than considerably larger SUV's like Fortuner and Endeavor. Even the Scorpio is lighter by a whopping 200 kgs.

ET, this is not quite so true. I suggest you look up actual numbers for each of these vehicles - the difference is not substantial. I've posted actual number below on another thread, can't redo it but you can get kerb weight from all the manufacturers except Mahindra. For Scorpio kerb weight you will have to look up their (or their distributors) SA website.